PDA

View Full Version : Subs/amp w/ factory HU. LOC question

PontiacDan
12-16-2008, 08:55 PM
well, i'm looking at adding a couple subs and a single amp for the 09 GT. My only question is, to those who are running line out convertors, are you installing behind the HU or just pulling the wires out of the terminals of the factory subs?

Also, anyone have any wiring harness diagrams/ color codes for the stereo.

Thanks,
Daniel

jnak
12-16-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't have subs in the G8, but in past cars I always tapped in to the speaker wires at the rear speaker, not at the head unit or amp.

SRG963
12-17-2008, 04:43 AM
http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=239

I spliced into the sub line out from the amp :D

This might help also
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3256

PontiacDan
12-17-2008, 09:32 AM
awesome. Thanks guys.....now if fedex ever delivers, I'll be good to go

-Ray-
12-17-2008, 02:36 PM
I don't have subs in the G8, but in past cars I always tapped in to the speaker wires at the rear speaker, not at the head unit or amp.

Me either, they slow me down.

PontiacDan
12-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Me either, they slow me down.

eh, I got rid of my fast car: 2005 Mustang GT/SC 11psi, cams, longtubes/full exhaust, all supporting mods, 4.10s et drags etc. Ran high 11s

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/3014000-3014999/3014251_17_full.jpg?580315-262

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/3014000-3014999/3014251_14_full.jpg?580315-262

The G8 is to have a decent running/pimp daily driver/show car in the works. Although I have been thinking of a forged rotating assembly, mild cam, and the APS twin kit <----The wife is gonna kill me

HAHA

Thanks for the help guys

bwooten492
12-17-2008, 03:34 PM
I spliced off of the subs.

MABG8er
12-18-2008, 09:34 PM
I typically try to avoid splicing off of factory subs, as they are going to be crossed over. If you can get signal prior to the crossovers that is ideal, your sub amp will have its own crossover, and most of the time the crossover for the factory sub will not be correct for your new aftermarket sub. It's very common in amplified systems with a sub for the rear speakers to be crossed over as well, so as to not play the frequencies that the sub would be taking care of. I'm not going to get into the imaging issues involved with this, but suffice to say that it is less than ideal, and obviously will not work if you're trying to get signal for subs.

The best signal you can get will be coming out of the headunit, this will typically allow for you to avoid crossover issues and over-amplification issues. And if all else fails, use the front speakers. I've personally never seen a car with a crossed over front stage, but that's not to say that it doesn't exist.

SRG963
12-19-2008, 07:12 AM
I typically try to avoid splicing off of factory subs, as they are going to be crossed over. If you can get signal prior to the crossovers that is ideal, your sub amp will have its own crossover, and most of the time the crossover for the factory sub will not be correct for your new aftermarket sub. It's very common in amplified systems with a sub for the rear speakers to be crossed over as well, so as to not play the frequencies that the sub would be taking care of. I'm not going to get into the imaging issues involved with this, but suffice to say that it is less than ideal, and obviously will not work if you're trying to get signal for subs.

The best signal you can get will be coming out of the headunit, this will typically allow for you to avoid crossover issues and over-amplification issues. And if all else fails, use the front speakers. I've personally never seen a car with a crossed over front stage, but that's not to say that it doesn't exist.

I consider the added crossover a help typically, as long as it's not a sub sonic filter above 20hz. I have the 20hz on my EQX anyways.

just my :twocents:

PontiacDan
12-19-2008, 11:10 AM
thanks guys. I think I will probably end up going behind the HU and slicing in there, and just unplug the stock subs altogether

johnh
01-06-2009, 01:12 PM
I used a line converter to take the speaker level outputs in the back to low level to my amp/sub. With the battery in the back all the wiring was in the trunk, no need to mess with anything up front. I just turned down the factory amp very low.

PontiacDan
01-06-2009, 04:41 PM
just an update: I'm halfway through the install, I did end up installing the LOC at the factory amp & cut the factory amp gain as low as it would go, i'll post pics when i get finished