PDA

View Full Version : #10-06-01-008B: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block Engines with Active Fuel Man

TA427
03-11-2011, 03:43 PM
xTooltipElement
Service Information
2009 Pontiac G8 | G8 Service Manual | Bulletins By Category | Technical | Document ID: 2596962
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#10-06-01-008B: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block Engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder) - (Mar 7, 2011)

Subject: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block Engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder)

Models: 2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado 1500, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2009 GMC Sierra 1500, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Equipped with Aluminum Block V8 Engine with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (RPOs LC9, LH6, L76, LFA, L92)

with Greater than 45,000 km (28,000 mi)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 model year and new Correction information for the 2009 model year - left rocker arm cover replacement. Information has also been added after step 9. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-06-01-008A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition
Some customers may comment about engine oil consumption of vehicles with higher mileage (approximately 48,000 to 64,000 km (30,000 to 40,000 mi). Verify that the induction system is assembled correctly and that there is no evidence that the engine has been ingesting dirty air due to a mis-assembled induction system. Also verify that the PCV system is functioning properly. If diagnostic procedures indicate that oil consumption is piston/piston ring related, verify that oil consumption is less than 3,000 km (2,000 mi) per liter/quart. If these conditions are met and oil consumption is less than 3,000 km (2,000 mi) per liter/quart, perform the service indicated in this bulletin.

Cause
This condition may be caused by oil spray that is discharged from the AFM pressure relief valve within the crankcase. Under most driving conditions and drive cycles, the discharged oil does not cause a problem. Under certain drive cycles (extended high engine speed operation), in combination with parts at the high end of their tolerance specification, the oil spray quantity may be more than usual, resulting in excessive deposit formation in the piston ring grooves, causing increased oil consumption.

Correction
2009 Vehicles Only
Important: This left rocker arm cover is NOT to be used on 2007-2008 vehicles because of the calibration of the PCV orifice being different in 2007-2008.

A new left rocker arm cover has been released for 2009 engines. Technicians should replace the left rocker arm cover with GM P/N 12642655. This rocker arm cover has relocated PCV drain holes that prevents PCV pullover into the intake manifold. Refer to SI for Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement - Left Side.

2008-2007 Vehicles Only

To correct this condition, perform the piston cleaning procedure as described in this document, and install a shield over the AFM pressure relief valve per the procedure outlined in this document. Monitor oil consumption after this repair to ensure oil consumption has improved to acceptable levels. If this repair does not correct the condition, it may be necessary to replace the piston assemblies (piston and rings) with new parts.

Important: It is critical in this cleaning process that the engine/fuel injector cleaner remain in the cylinders for a minimum of 2.5 hours to fully clean the components. The cleaner solution must be removed before a maximum of three hours.

Verify the oil consumption concern following Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011F. If oil consumption is found, continue on with this bulletin.
Remove the spark plugs and ensure that none of the pistons are at top dead center (TDC).
Clean the pistons by putting 118-147 ml (4-5 oz) of Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner, GM P/N 88861802 (in Canada, use 88861804), in each cylinder. Allow the material to soak for at least 2.5-3.0 hours, but no more than three hours and then remove the cleaner. A suggested method of removing the cleaner is cranking engine over. Make sure to unplug the ignition coils and fuel injector before cranking the engine over. Also make sure that the painted surfaces are covered so no damage is done.
Remove the oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Replacement in SI.

Remove the AFM valve (1).

Install the new shield (1), GM P/N 12639759, and tighten the AFM valve to the oil pan to 28 N·m (20 lb ft).
Important: Ensure that the engine cleaner is thoroughly removed before reinstalling the spark plugs. Failure to do so may result in a hydro-lock condition.

Reinstall the spark plugs. Replace the spark plugs if necessary due to full of carbon. Refer to the parts catalog.
Reinstall the oil pan. Refer to the Oil Pan Installation procedure in SI. Replace the oil pan gasket if necessary. Refer to the parts catalog. Replace the engine oil if necessary.
Re-evaluate the oil consumption. Document on the repair order. If the oil consumption is still greater than 0.946 L (1 qt) in 3,200 km (2000 mi), replacement of the pistons and rings will be required.

Important: Some minor scratches may be noticed on the cylinder walls during piston and ring replacement. If the scratch cannot be felt when running your finger nail over it, the scratch is considered normal wear and the block or engine should not be replaced.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

DEFLECTOR-OIL PRESS RLF VLV (quantity of 3 per order) (07-08 Models Only)

88861802 (in Canada, use 88861804)
CLEANER, F/INJR 16 OZ LIQUID POUR (Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner) (07-08 Models Only)

COVER ASM-VLV RKR ARM (09 Models Only)

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J7555*
Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder
3.5 hrs

Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder (4WD)
4.5 hrs

Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder (G8 Only)
10.5 hrs

J7561
Rocker Arm Cover- Left Bank - Replace- (For 2009 Only)
0.6 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2011 General Motors. All rights reserved.

WickedMom
03-11-2011, 04:25 PM
I wonder if our 'induction' system would pass their inspection. Lol

Sent from my amazing and awesome iPhone4

Mier
03-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm wondering if they would bitch about catch cans

laserred
03-11-2011, 10:20 PM
vehicles with higher mileage (30,000 to 40,000 mi)

LOL, he'd probably have a heart attack, my brother's 2001 Tahoe has 319,000 miles on it and STILL doesn't burn any oil- took it on a trip from Chicago to Richmond VA non-stop pulling a 4k lb trailer and still didn't burn oil. Every day I think AFM is a great idea with a botched implementation.

I understand some pumping losses from just shutting off injectors, but by randomly cycling which injector shuts off, you should still be able to come up with a better idea/working model of the DOD lifter.

Crazy Paul
03-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks for posting the TSB TA427.

I hadn't even thought about the AFM relief valve in the oilpan causing possible high oil consumption until now. I guess if it's excessively misting up the crankcase then that oil mist has to make it's way through the PCV orifice and into the intake manifold.
Here's the AFM relief valve they're talking about.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76/9f85ee35-1.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76/IMG_0501.jpg

We've seen only recently (sorry Ed [G8V8]) what happens when valve covers with no baffles or oil deflectors are installed on an engine which takes PCV gasses from the left rear valve cover, ie an L76 with AFM hardware intact.
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=22668

Panzer Leader
03-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Under certain drive cycles (extended high engine speed operation), Not anybody here. LOL

laserred
03-12-2011, 05:19 AM
I thought this was the thingie that made James Bond's smoke screen work? Push the button on the console, and your stalker is fogged with a mix of your favorite motor oil and malathion? No?

BTW, CP, some.... no, most... no, that's not it either...., all of the time we're constantly reminded that you know more about our cars than any of the dealers here in the states. Thanks for your endless supply of information that helps us better deal with our goons and make them behave instead of giving us the run around like wyd_trkr's ordeal. At least if they refuse to work on our cars, it can be because they're pissed that we know more than they do, stick your head in doo doo! LOL

/early morning rant :)

Panzer, what's the timer set at to delineate the cutoff between regular high speed engine operation and extended? I know the three mile stretch I enjoy coming home on midnights disappears pretty quickly, but obviously it's like a quarter-mile pass...times twelve and a half. Ummm... I'm thinking I should probably disconnect my OnStar box before I do this again... how long until they start forwarding GPS location/speed information to the local po-po? Uh-oh.

Mier
03-12-2011, 05:52 AM
Panzer, what's the timer set at to delineate the cutoff between regular high speed engine operation and extended? I know the three mile stretch I enjoy coming home on midnights disappears pretty quickly, but obviously it's like a quarter-mile pass...times twelve and a half. Ummm... I'm thinking I should probably disconnect my OnStar box before I do this again... how long until they start forwarding GPS location/speed information to the local po-po? Uh-oh.

I often hear auto theft guys bitch about on-star not wanting to talk with them because they're not the subscriber. I'm guessing that won't happen immediately but I'm with you and I'll just live without my bluetooth when I catch wind that on-star is advising the cops of your location and speed.

Mier
03-12-2011, 06:02 AM
How would you know for sure your car is using excess oil? Check the dipstick and you're low? Oil smoke out of your pipes all the time?

Panzer Leader
03-12-2011, 08:19 AM
The damn "Black Box Flight Recorder" at work again. Whats next GM placing a giant seedpod under our beds?

Kaos
03-12-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't know anyone who would put their G8 through "extended high engine speed operation":eyeroll:. Does sound like the the implementation missed the mark -- slightly.

laserred
03-12-2011, 12:36 PM
The damn "Black Box Flight Recorder" at work again. Whats next GM placing a giant seedpod under our beds?

Even better quote: The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

TA427
03-12-2011, 03:31 PM
I know where they can put it !

Panzer Leader
03-12-2011, 04:31 PM
One of the main reasons I went with the 6 cylinder was the AFM. Other than a small drop in milage, would there be other negative issues, if you were to totally disable it?

RCHREALTOR
03-15-2011, 09:11 AM
I went to dealer several months ago with oil consumption problem, thay said it was normal to use 1 gt per gmc guidelines per 2000 miles, i have been a gm buyer for about 40 yrs and a mechanic in past , built cars engines etc, have never heard of such, when a car was burning oil, it was a problem, rings , valve guides, leak, etc.
Now thay want to tell me that since i used 3 qts between oil changes, thay want to do a test, i only have 7000 miles left on warrenty now, and the dealer told me that it they would need to test it, every 500 miles to or before they will do anything, and then again before thay will do anything else , i have oil change documented from service showing thay added 3 qts and i put one in since last oil change, you think theres a problem ? Lol

Seattle09GT
03-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Huh.

High speed engine operation - check

Performance driving - check

Catch can suddenly full of oil and car smoking like a World War I airplane shotdown while at the race track last year - check

No repeat of the problem in normal driving - check

Indication of oil consumption at oil changes - check

Seems like there is a strong case I have this problem - check

Chance a dealer will do anthing about it - BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

mrghd1
03-18-2011, 04:00 PM
They said the same thing to me. Reminds me of high school days when I had a 500$ car and needed to add oil to keep it full.I Would not expect to have to do this to a brand new car. I had a Lexus with 200,000 miles on it and did not have to add any oil between changes. If they told the public this before we bought our cars I doubt they would sell any. So I guess instead of an 8 qt oil change you really need a 12 pack to make the suggested oil change intervals. Go GM!

todds87ss
07-28-2011, 04:41 AM

(checking under my bed - adjusting my tin hat) THANK GOD you people are finally coming around!