PDA

View Full Version : General G8 questions.

99-LS1-SS
12-15-2008, 01:43 PM
As some of you know, I'm waiting on a GXP. Since it will probably 27 more years before they come out I'm going to ask a few basic questions about the G8.

1. Do the window have a 1 touch up and/or down feature?
2. Do you guys find that the cup holders are a pain in the ass as far as location?
3. Any other "quirky" features that are related to the fact that it is built for right hand and left hand steering?

I'm bored and just wondering these things. Thanks.

J Wikoff
12-15-2008, 02:16 PM
1. Auto down, not up
2. The center one is fine, if a bit narrow for 2 cups larger than pop cans. The holders in the doors are useless for cups without lids. They have no front or back support and things fall over from "more than mild" accelleration or braking.
3. Not that I've noticed.

screw991le
12-15-2008, 02:49 PM
As some of you know, I'm waiting on a GXP. Since it will probably 27 more years before they come out I'm going to ask a few basic questions about the G8.

1. Do the window have a 1 touch up and/or down feature?
2. Do you guys find that the cup holders are a pain in the ass as far as location?
3. Any other "quirky" features that are related to the fact that it is built for right hand and left hand steering?

I'm bored and just wondering these things. Thanks.

#3 - You'll notice all the buttons on the radio and AC are designed for the driver on the right. Total opposite of what GM has now.

DollarBill
12-15-2008, 02:52 PM
For question 3, several have complained that the power button for the radio is in an uncomfortable spot, since its still on the right. Also, a driver has to push the shift lever away from them to put into manual mode.

These are not really annoying, but just something i thought i should point out.

Andy@Livernois
12-15-2008, 03:24 PM
For question 3, several have complained that the power button for the radio is in an uncomfortable spot, since its still on the right. Also, a driver has to push the shift lever away from them to put into manual mode.

These are not really annoying, but just something i thought i should point out.

the funny thing is from the RHD pics i have seen they push it to the left... once again away from them

TryMe
12-15-2008, 03:56 PM
I found having to push the shifter to the right annoying. Just a little thing that annoys me everytime I do it. If there was one minor change I could make to the car, it would be to be able to pull the shifter to the left for manual mode...

J Wikoff
12-15-2008, 04:23 PM
You could probably order the trim piece and switch it around.

bobyoung
12-15-2008, 06:08 PM
I found having to push the shifter to the right annoying. Just a little thing that annoys me everytime I do it. If there was one minor change I could make to the car, it would be to be able to pull the shifter to the left for manual mode...

Both front windows have touch control power down at least in the 09's which is really nice.
I rest my hand on the shifter and don't like it in the right hand position so I very rarely use it. I never realized all the radio and climate control controls were backwards now I know why they're awkward.

LDV60
12-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Very strange isn't it.
All of the controls that you guys have mentioned have been specifically changed to suit the LHD market, after what I'm sure was a large amount of money in design and market research. This was done purposely to be a "proper" transplant, rather than seen as a lazy half arsed job.
Most if not all LHD conversions when imported in the AU are cheap arse lazy bastards that just expect us to use everything backwards, which pisses us right off. (except for the prissy wankers that come out with the "I'm driving a Euro car that's why they're like that")
For example the ignition is not moved. The indicator/signal stalk is not reversed etc. Some even have a convex mirror on the incorrect side of the car.

G8GTlawride
12-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Window and door lock switches mounted in center console and not on drivers door panel.

J Wikoff
12-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Some even have a convex mirror on the incorrect side of the car.

It's funny you say that, I noticed tonight that my driver mirror is convex, just like the passenger mirror, but doesn't say "Objects in mirror...".

Imurdaddy
12-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Hmmm
1. Yes both windows have the power down function.
2. Cup holders work fine for me.
3. The only odd thing regarding this car to me... I dont want to stop driving it .. ....maybe its because the controls are switched? Im really not sure why, but all I want to do is drive.....

screw991le
12-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Very strange isn't it.
All of the controls that you guys have mentioned have been specifically changed to suit the LHD market, after what I'm sure was a large amount of money in design and market research. This was done purposely to be a "proper" transplant, rather than seen as a lazy half arsed job.
Most if not all LHD conversions when imported in the AU are cheap arse lazy bastards that just expect us to use everything backwards, which pisses us right off. (except for the prissy wankers that come out with the "I'm driving a Euro car that's why they're like that")
For example the ignition is not moved. The indicator/signal stalk is not reversed etc. Some even have a convex mirror on the incorrect side of the car.

Really? All other cars I have had from GM has the power buttons on the left, and defrost buttons on the right.

I know they moved the e-brake from the RHD versions. If they went through the trouble to change the radio and AC controls, they should have put RDS in the radio. :)

Grrrr8!
01-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Not that I should really gripe about ANYTHING on my G8 (except we haven't had a chance to start modding it yet), but......

The "passenger airbag" light is driving me insane!!! What a weird place to put it. :uhm:

-Ray-
01-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Not that I should really gripe about ANYTHING on my G8 (except we haven't had a chance to start modding it yet), but......

The "passenger airbag" light is driving me insane!!! What a weird place to put it. :uhm:

Quite a common complaint for sure. A piece of window tint covering the light seems to be the easiest method of fixing it.

99-LS1-SS
01-14-2009, 12:49 PM
I'll be tinting mine very soon after I get the car.

Grrrr8!
01-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Good idea! Thx!