PDA

View Full Version : How far are we out on a real handheld tuner ?

cobrakid
12-15-2008, 10:37 AM
guys, I want a tune so bad I can taste it.....

...but I do not have the cash, nor do I want to spend $500+ on a tune that I can't modify myself.

What is the rough time frame for us to get an end user adjustable handheld tuner?

Diablo, SCT, Superchips etc ???????

The Cortex is nice, but tame........if they would guarantee me that within
6 months it would be updatable to user adjustments..I would buy it now.

We can never get straight answers from other manufacturers other than we're working on it.

any thoughts???????????

Here is what I want.
A good 93 octane tune (starting point) ability to reduce/remove tq man, adjust A/F, and timing, also better trans abilities.

GRRRR8
12-15-2008, 10:54 AM
I think the only way you can get what you want now is with HP Tuners.

Andy@Livernois
12-15-2008, 11:56 AM
werd... even "user adjustable" tuners like SCT/Diablo still require the purchasing of additional software, or they require a pre-made file to be sent to you. The problem is you would then be paying someone to send you the modified tune, just like if you were using HPT.

Hand held tuners are a totally different kind of product, marketed to a different type of customer then what you are. Think about it this way, most software companies want only the best people doing custom tunes, there is just too much liability in what you are asking for. That is where a product like HPT steps in...

Robert@KBXPerformance
12-15-2008, 07:21 PM
werd... even "user adjustable" tuners like SCT/Diablo still require the purchasing of additional software, or they require a pre-made file to be sent to you. The problem is you would then be paying someone to send you the modified tune, just like if you were using HPT.

Hand held tuners are a totally different kind of product, marketed to a different type of customer then what you are. Think about it this way, most software companies want only the best people doing custom tunes, there is just too much liability in what you are asking for. That is where a product like HPT steps in...

Andy is correct here with regards to still needing to have a custom tuner send you a tune to load onto the flash unit. I am a Ford and GM custom tuner and currently use the SCT Advantage and HP Tuners software to do this. I am not a Diablo dealer so I cannot speak to those specifics but I do have a close friend who is so I do know a little bit about their stuff too. With the SCT stuff you have the flash device itself, whether it be an Xcal2, 3, Livewire or TSX. You buy this usually directly from the dealer who places bulk orders from the manufacturer themself. That same dealer is who is also going to make the custom tunes for you. In the dealer software we choose whether to enable certain end-user adjustable functions such as Engine idle speed, Rev limit neutral, Rev limit drive, Rear axle ratio, Tire revs per mile, Global Spark, RPM based spark, WOT AFR, Shift pressure, Shift point and a few other items dependent on the vehicle being tuned. When we export the tunefile to the end user format we check which of these options we want to enable and the limit of the adjustment. So that way if I am tuning a guy who is a TOTAL newbie I will usually leave the end-user settings left off so that it is one less item for them to get confused by. If I have a more savvy user then I might enable all the settings but limit the amount of spark you can advance and AFR you can lean. These are just minor tweaks that the end use can make based upon preference versus trying to fully retune a vehicle for other major mods. The large majority of the tuning for the combination the car is running will be handled by the custom tuning dealer that send you the tune.

What I outlined above is MUCH better then just a generic tunefile being offered for these cars like what Superchips is doing so far with the Cortex. It promotes competition among custom tuners which means better tunes for the general public because we have to compete for your business.

Both SCT and Diablo are working on getting something offered for these cars but it is still a work in progress. I can assure you that the SCT and Diablo stuff will be much more along the lines of what you gearhead types are looking for. When something is still in the development stages most companies are hesitant to release any availability dates because they cannot foresee if they will or will not run into glitches in the near future or not. It is coming around the corner but people will have to be patient for the time being. I wish I could tell you more but I hope this at least helps a little bit even though I am not on the payroll of either of those companies.

SRG963
12-21-2008, 07:51 PM
The SCT is $600 and others are similar. I would suggest a Dyno tune and really get what you pay for :)

Robert@KBXPerformance
12-21-2008, 09:45 PM
The SCT is $600 and others are similar. I would suggest a Dyno tune and really get what you pay for :)

The SCT X3 is $389, the Livewire $569, and I won't even discuss how much the TSX costs. Those are the typical MAP pricing so most can expect to pay within $20 of that usually. The X3 is what most people end up using with their other vehicles. It has great options but nothing overdone. The Livewire is a nice unit but has a few extra bells and whistles that are nice if you do allot of datalogging but not really necessary for most enthusiasts, even the type on GRRRR8.

PontiacDan
12-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Just wanted to add, Ive used nothing but SCT in the past with grest success. started with a CAI & tune on my mustang, and ended up being a cammed/blown track car