PDA

View Full Version : powder coating stock wheels

silver6.0L
12-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Looking to powder coat the stock GT 18" wheels. How does the powder coat hold up to tire replacements as scratches and nicks might go? Also have does road salt affect the finish? Looking at something in the dark gray but not so dark that they look black anybody have any pics to this affect.

99-LS1-SS
12-15-2008, 07:45 AM
Really not sure but usually powder coating is pretty durable. I'm sure someone else can answer you more accurately .

-Ray-
12-15-2008, 08:01 AM
Powder coating is much different than painting. It actually bonds to the surface if prep work is done correctly.
I had researched it quite a bit when I moved to Indiana, I had considered starting a shop here.

silver6.0L
12-15-2008, 08:06 AM
Powder coating is much different than painting. It actually bonds to the surface if prep work is done correctly.
I had researched it quite a bit when I moved to Indiana, I had considered starting a shop here.

I also have researched powder coatings but have not heard any personal opinions.

-Ray-
12-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Personally I have not liked the rims I've seen powder coated.

silver6.0L
12-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Can anybody post pics of powder coated wheels that aren't black.

pkeplinger@unitedcommunit
01-01-2009, 08:12 PM
I had some factory wheels on my G35 powder coated black chrome/anthricite and they looked good, held up well for over 2 yrs and hid brake dust.

If i can find some affordable G8 takeoffs for sale, i plan on doing the same thing again. I can post pictures if you can give me a link to the picture posting instructions

Saginaw748
01-06-2009, 06:54 AM
I'd love to see those G35 wheels with powdercoat....

I have a few friends that have had various motorcycle wheels, and other parts powdercoated, and it holds up very well.

I am tentatively planning on getting my V-6 rims PC'd in the spring/summer months....jury is out on the color though. I was thinking the Matte Black would be cool, but the black chrome/anthricite mentioned above could look pretty sweet with the Ig. orange.

Ah, the idea's for this car are endless......

Mav
01-06-2009, 07:07 AM
is it relatively cost effective to have this done? (as opposed to buying new wheels)

Chewy
01-06-2009, 07:11 AM
I've powder coated a lot of things and as a whole, it's MUCH stronger than paint. I have done my motorcycle wheels as well which are a bitch because the bearings have to come out but they have held up VERY well.

I would recommend it all day long!

Chris

99-LS1-SS
01-06-2009, 07:15 AM
Can powder coating be a tint or is it opaque? The reason I ask is I would consider getting the stock GXP wheels powder coated a medium gray. I guess I could pick a gray color that I liked too. How flexible is the color range? Is it pretty much like paint?

Chewy
01-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Can powder coating be a tint or is it opaque? The reason I ask is I would consider getting the stock GXP wheels powder coated a medium gray. I guess I could pick a gray color that I liked too. How flexible is the color range? Is it pretty much like paint?

They have candy colors too! They are like a tint.

-Ray-
01-06-2009, 12:58 PM

It depends on the coater you pick. A larger operation will be more flexible in their color choice.

01-06-2009, 07:13 PM
cost me $75 per wheel to do the G35 wheels, most of that is the labor removing the factory coating and preping the surface. Do not forget to budget for mounting/dismounting and re balancing the tires. IMHO any color that hides brake dust is a good color.

Crazy Paul
01-06-2009, 07:46 PM
What sort of temperature do they use in the powder coating process?

Only reason I ask is that I remember reading warnings about getting aluminium pressure vessels (nitrous bottles,dive cylinders etc) powder coated.
Apparently the heat used can change the aluminium strength with dire results in those examples.

-Ray-
01-07-2009, 02:48 AM

Only reason I ask is that I remember reading warnings about getting aluminium pressure vessels (nitrous bottles,dive cylinders etc) powder coated.
Apparently the heat used can change the aluminium strength with dire results in those examples.

I talked to my powder coater about that this week. He said it's not an issue. Of course, I'm talking about wheels here.

99-LS1-SS
01-07-2009, 05:39 AM
IMHO any color that hides brake dust is a good color.
That's one reason I'm considering gray. That and I think gray wheels look good with certain colors. I saw a bright red newer 911 turbo with gray wheels and it looked pretty sweet.

I think some places can adjust the temperature of the process. I would have to hope that they knew of any potential dire side affects.

01-07-2009, 06:26 PM
here are the G35 wheels i had PCed. Color = Black Chrome

http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=145

-Ray-
01-08-2009, 04:12 AM
here are the G35 wheels i had PCed. Color = Black Chrome

Those came looking pretty good.

gtagman
01-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Looking to powder coat the stock GT 18" wheels. How does the powder coat hold up to tire replacements as scratches and nicks might go? Also have does road salt affect the finish? Looking at something in the dark gray but not so dark that they look black anybody have any pics to this affect.

This guy here on the board & a friend of mine thru the boards. User name Mach5 just had this done not to long ago on his hot white G8GT black powder coat wheels 19"
they came out the balls. he could answer Q's. Look under tire/wheels to see, they look really good in my op.

GPDAN
01-15-2009, 11:17 PM
was the black chrome really reflective or was it more of a flat color???

01-17-2009, 09:12 PM
glossy like the paint on the car. You can also get flat or something in between called satin finish

stryker g8gt
01-19-2009, 06:36 AM
I got a price from a local powdercoater for 250.00 for my set. for media blast and coating.......just got to think about it now.

JoeSyko
03-18-2009, 03:55 PM
was the black chrome really reflective or was it more of a flat color???

I recently received an email from a company who is trying to get my company to use them for chroming wheels (I'm in the truck tire industry). They sent me a picture of a truck wheel that they black chromed.

I thot that the Black Chrome looked pretty sweet so I searched to see if anyone had looked into it....hence resurrecting this thread.

Here is the picture for another reference point on what it looks like. I think if I had a different color car I would definitely consider going this route on my stock wheels.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/JoeSyko/BlackChromeAlcoa225jpeg.jpg

SLVRG8GT
03-18-2009, 07:23 PM
looks sweet!