PDA

View Full Version : Can you spray brake cleaner on MAF wires to clean them?

desertg8
02-27-2011, 02:41 PM
I did. Did not see really an ill effect. But then I bought the proper stuff and sprayed that on the wires. With my acceleraton tracker it seemed like it was quicker. Maybe the brake cleaner leaves a residue on the wires??

wreckwriter
02-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Brake cleaner is pretty rough stuff.

1ChargedG8
02-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Yeah... that will be a bad idea... you might want to try the CRC electric cleaner.....

laserred
02-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Brake cleaner is chlorinated and is bad for electrical connections and wire insulation. If it was the same thing they'd only sell one can that worked for everything... such as WD-40 for water displacement and lubrication.

Stick to contact cleaner for anything electrical. Brake cleaner is made to remove anti-rust coatings on new rotors and other deposits on used brakes and calipers. One time shouldn't result in any harm, but repeated use of brake cleaner on electricals will definitely negatively impact whatever you're spraying it on.

66cat389
02-27-2011, 09:54 PM
90% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol works too, I use it to clean electronics all of the time. I would go with Contact Cleaner or Alcohol, stay away from the brake cleaner. Like a few others have said, it's pretty harsh stuff. Definitely too harsh for sensitive electronics.

'02 ws6
02-28-2011, 05:11 AM
Yeah... that will be a bad idea... you might want to try the CRC electric cleaner.....

x2

BlackGT5
02-28-2011, 07:01 AM
I use CRC MAF cleaner. You can buy it any any auto parts store.

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss266/blackgt5/FcpI4dQFavhm_e8jSjgHzVbiuW55nntPvjH.jpg

desertg8
02-28-2011, 07:00 PM
bought some. all seems ok. i was doing a google and the thing that hurts brake cleaner the most is the chlorine in it. i heard there might be a brand out there that does not use chlorine. but i agree it is not the stuff to use. crc, that is what i bought. car is running better now.

wreckwriter
02-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Brake cleaner is really only appropriate for...... brakes :) I think you're OK though, bullet dodged :)

Chewy
03-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Brake cleaner is chlorinated and is bad for electrical connections and wire insulation. If it was the same thing they'd only sell one can that worked for everything... such as WD-40 for water displacement and lubrication.

Stick to contact cleaner for anything electrical. Brake cleaner is made to remove anti-rust coatings on new rotors and other deposits on used brakes and calipers. One time shouldn't result in any harm, but repeated use of brake cleaner on electricals will definitely negatively impact whatever you're spraying it on.

That's true and false... Green can brake clean is NON chlorinated and red can brake clean IS chlorinated. NEVER EVER use chlorinated in on or around anything hot. Chlorine gas is emitted and you stand a chance of dying. It's happened and it's documented.

I use CRC MAF cleaner. You can buy it any any auto parts store.

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss266/blackgt5/FcpI4dQFavhm_e8jSjgHzVbiuW55nntPvjH.jpg

This is what I use two to three times a year. I also use a throttle body cleaner at the same time.

Chris

GT Drew
04-07-2011, 01:14 PM
What you have to worry about is the goop that covers the circuit board on the side of the MAF. A harsh cleaner will soften or worse disolve the protective covering.
Find one that is "Plastic safe" on the label.

66cat389
04-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Holy resurrected thread batman!