PDA

View Full Version : Best Fuel Level For Alignments?

SRG963
02-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Is it better to get an alignment on a full tank, half tank, or close to empty?

wreckwriter
02-25-2011, 02:03 PM
I voted for half. Doubt it matters much really.

-Ray-
02-25-2011, 02:53 PM
I have never even given it a thought.

G8Smitty
02-25-2011, 04:34 PM
There really isn't much weight difference. Bone dry to completely full is a difference of roughly 120lbs. (6.175lbs * 19 gal)

Perhaps next time I should ask if I could sit in it while they align, since I am two full tanks. :)

SRG963
02-26-2011, 04:28 AM
I was also thinking about sitting in the drivers seat while they aligned her, but then I couldn't see the computer to check the specs while it's getting tweaked. I like to verify things get done properly.

A more generic question, if you load the car down, does the car gain camber or loose camber? Or stay the same?

-Ray-
02-26-2011, 04:53 AM
If you load the car down excessively the top of the wheels will tilt in.

SRG963
02-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks Ray! That answers the question :)

Sephiroth
04-08-2011, 03:36 AM
The whole car weighs 4100lbs. An extra 2.9% weight isn't going to move the suspension geometry in any significant way. I'm sure everyone in here weighs more than 120lbs. If you're worried about weight, plop yourself in the driver seat and a passenger in the passenger seat (since I believe GM says that creates the ideal 50/50 weight balance) and go from there.

99-LS1-SS
04-08-2011, 03:38 AM
I have never even given it a thought.

Me either.

Napalm
04-08-2011, 10:48 AM
I know in some performance cars, they recommend 1/2. mostly due to placement of the tank in relation of the CG of the rest of the car. On the GTO I always had it aligned at full due to the tank sitting so high.

On the pole I voted 1/2. however on this car with the placement of the tank, I doubt it matters much. Also the weight thing as mentioned is not that great an effect.

However, those same cars I mentioned, also want a certain weight in the driver seat. Usually around 175 lbs.

it could make a difference, however if you really wanted to you should sit in the car, and have a 1/2 full fuel tank. but before all that you should corner weight your car and springs. So yeah, probably not much difference until you are looking for that extra 10% of cornering grip.

If however you carry stuff in your trunk alot. Like tents, 5 gal of water, case of oil, tools etc (I know a guy that keeps a survival pack in his honda civic). If there most of the time, consider getting it aligned that way.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
04-08-2011, 03:23 PM
I also feel it doesn't matter how much fuel is in the tank during an alignment. I have been getting cars aligned for 30+ years and I never had an issue with the way the car was aligned.

texn884
04-08-2011, 05:29 PM
I say Full.

GRRRR8
04-08-2011, 05:41 PM
All Euro cars require a weight kit to be used to simulate weight in the car for proper alignments.

I just did a Camaro drag car alignment with the driver in the car to set ride height and front camber/toe.

Fuel I would say with the placement of our tanks would not be super critical, but I would say 1/2 would be correct as you are in the middle of empty and full. If you weigh over 200lbs I would sit in the car.

Sephiroth
04-08-2011, 06:03 PM
All Euro cars require a weight kit to be used to simulate weight in the car for proper alignments.

I just did a Camaro drag car alignment with the driver in the car to set ride height and front camber/toe.

Fuel I would say with the placement of our tanks would not be super critical, but I would say 1/2 would be correct as you are in the middle of empty and full. If you weigh over 200lbs I would sit in the car.

A4,A6 and A8 Audi suspension geometry can only be adjusted via sub frame movements in the front which means either it's perfect or it's off, weight has no bearing on adjustments, and the rear is a simple centric bolt and does not require anything special either . They've been like this since the B5 was introduced in 96. If you lower the car, you actually need to spend big $$$ for adjustable upper control arms.

GRRRR8
04-08-2011, 06:18 PM
I don't really count Audi or VW as Euro's. Yes they are and I will stop at that.

Most BMW's and M-Benz require a weight kit when doing a professional alignment.