PDA

View Full Version : Roto-Fab air intake

GRRRR8
08-13-2008, 06:30 AM
This is the intake for those that want a more factory look. Very well made. Makes great power.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/Upsized%20Photos/DSC03639.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/Upsized%20Photos/DSC03640.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/Upsized%20Photos/DSC03641.jpg

GTPaul
08-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Whatever happened to the ram air add on? Any updates on this?

GRRRR8
08-18-2008, 04:26 PM
I need to look at some of these scoops to see if I can implement them. Hooking up to the Roto is easy, its the lower piece that needs to be perfect. If I wont put it on mine, it will never make it to your car.

wreckwriter
08-18-2008, 04:36 PM
How do you figure? The scoop has a round connection, the RF is a triangle. If nothing else it's going to be tricky to clamp to a triangle, no?

GTPaul
08-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Even if they made an adapter to mate directly to the triangular port, It wouldn't be air tight. Wouldn't you need an air tight connection to get any amount of positive pressure in the fabricated box below? Also, I would think the seal at the top would need to be more air tight. Am I going about this all wrong? Or are we just talking about sucking in truly cool air?

wreckwriter
08-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Just talking about sucking cool air really but the seal can be finished off with RTV.

GRRRR8
08-18-2008, 05:48 PM
How do you figure? The scoop has a round connection, the RF is a triangle. If nothing else it's going to be tricky to clamp to a triangle, no?

Its plastic Daniel Son. Heat and reshape with a piece of pipe. See, Thats why I am GRRRR8! :grrrr8:

wreckwriter
08-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Reshape the triangle into a tube? hmmmm....:urock:

G8V8
08-19-2008, 02:28 AM
A possible advantage to not being totally sealed:
If a pipe or tube of some sort extends up from the lower panel as high as it can fit and the triangular snorkle from the R-F sits inside it, would it not act like a vacume break such that if you drove through standing water higher than the lower panel but lower than the top of the round tube, water would not be drawn into the intake, moter, etc?

Under normal conditions the amount of engine bay air drawn in through the junction would be minimal compared to the near-zero restriction of the air coming up through the lower panel hole.

Just a thought.

GRRRR8
08-19-2008, 04:35 AM
Look at Ed getting all technical at 5am.

G8V8
08-19-2008, 05:42 AM
Sleep, what sleep?

jraymond30
08-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Even if they made an adapter to mate directly to the triangular port, It wouldn't be air tight. Wouldn't you need an air tight connection to get any amount of positive pressure in the fabricated box below? Also, I would think the seal at the top would need to be more air tight. Am I going about this all wrong? Or are we just talking about sucking in truly cool air?

can you not run a hose thorough the triangle and into the bottom of the airbox? Im not sure if it would work. (MAYBE)

jraymond30
08-20-2008, 08:19 PM
This is the intake for those that want a more factory look. Very well made. Makes great power.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/Upsized%20Photos/DSC03639.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/Upsized%20Photos/DSC03640.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/Upsized%20Photos/DSC03641.jpg

Not to sound like an idiot but I installed the rotofab tonight and didnt see the sensor you have close to the airbox, how did you do this? What are the benefits?

G8GTlawride
08-20-2008, 08:36 PM

Don't think any vehicle speed will outrun the demand (draw) of the engine (within reason). The faster you go, the wider the throttle is open, the more air the engine draws (sucks) in. The fresh, cooler air (than engine bay) gives the HP increase. The cooler the air, the denser the air, the more air (by volume) is introduced to the engine, thus more power.

-Ray-
08-21-2008, 03:47 AM
Not to sound like an idiot but I installed the rotofab tonight and didnt see the sensor you have close to the airbox, how did you do this? What are the benefits?

That's Vector Motorsports HSRK. Heat soak reduction kit. It is an air temp sensor.

GRRRR8
08-21-2008, 04:08 AM

Its the Vector Motorsports Heat Soak Reduction Kit. It removes the Intake Air Temp Sensor from the Mass Air Flow sensor which gets hot and relocates it closer to the cooler air allowing the ECM to optimize timing.

-Ray-
08-21-2008, 08:46 AM
You're making me irrevalant Charlie. LOL

jraymond30
08-22-2008, 06:45 AM
thanks! is it really worth the 100 dollars or so

wreckwriter
08-22-2008, 06:47 AM
thanks! is it really worth the 100 dollars or so

if you're looking to get the most performance out of your vehicle, yes it is. Lots of us are using them and I've heard no complaints.

jraymond30
08-22-2008, 06:52 AM
thanks! Did you read the post up on this page about running a hose in the triangle part extending into the airbox? I dont know if it will work just an idea. What do you think?

wreckwriter
08-22-2008, 06:58 AM
thanks! Did you read the post up on this page about running a hose in the triangle part extending into the airbox? I dont know if it will work just an idea. What do you think?

I don't know yet, still thinking on options but I think you're on the right track.

G8GTlawride
09-03-2008, 04:28 AM
I ordered and have received the single NACA duct (you see them on high end cars and are used in nascar, on the flat areas like the windows) and the appropriate hose. I also have the Roto Cai on the way. For true ram air, yes the system needs to be relatively sealed. That would include a lid on the Roto Cai. My plan is to install it where GRRRR8 has his lower panel mods and attach the hose to direct incoming air to the triangular shaped inlet. It wont' be sealed to it but directed to it. The hose is relatively stiff (no jokes please) so should need minimal bracing. The purpose and design of the NACA duct is to draw air from usually low pressure areas such as side panels and undercarriages, such as the from the lower valance panel. The idea is to direct the air from forward motion directly to the lower inlet of the Roto. I like the idea of opening the lower valance panel, but I also like the idea of a vent that actually is designed to draw air in and not just rely on air that passes by. At the very least, as the vehicle is moving it will lower the IAT more rapidly. Will see how it goes!

wreckwriter
09-03-2008, 04:29 AM
Roto-Fab seals to the hood, no other lid needed.

G8GTlawride
09-03-2008, 04:40 AM
Roto-Fab seals to the hood, no other lid needed.

I didn't know that!! I figured for sure that there would be a gap at the hood.

GRRRR8
09-03-2008, 05:04 AM
If you put a little powder on the Roto seal you can adjust the seal to hit the hood. It is not 100% sealed, but pretty close.