PDA

View Full Version : Swap G8 for AWD car... financials

dandragonrage
02-16-2011, 09:02 AM
I know this may get me flamed here... but after having some life issues and almost having to sell the G8... and after having an AWD winter beater that turned out to be a lemon and ending up getting rid of it... I am tired of lack of traction. I've got all this power and I always have to be careful about moderating the throttle in order to put that down. I want to trade the G8 for a nice, reliable AWD car - and good AWD, not Haldex.

Note that I am not looking for suggestions on getting better traction, be they miracle tires, miracle suspension components or miracle anything else, unless it's miracle "also drives the front wheels."

Anyway, my car has 22k miles, has the sport package and is in good shape. Currently got nice snow tires on aftermarket rims but I still have my stockers that need new tires, though a couple of the stock rims are in a little bit rough shape.

Car's been in an accident, minor... fender, bumper, some simple suspension stuff, but no frame damage and the car was drivable after the accident. Don't know how much this is going to kill the value of it. It was an expensive repair because the shop I go to is expensive. I had them put a GXP bumper on when they repaired it. It all looks quite nice.

Values range from 20k trade-in (Edmunds) to 22k (NADA) to 24k (KBB) in their second highest conditions. I owe about 20.8k on it and have 0% APR. I see 2007-2008 G35x's for around $21-22k. I'm in a credit union that is advertising used car loan rates as low as 3.4% and a special limited time discount of 1% off if we finance no more than 80% of the car. My credit score is reasonably good though I'm pretty sure it's not quite good enough to get 3.4%, but perhaps under 5%.

Any advice about how to approach this sort of swap? I am not decided on it, or on a G35x, but it's something I'm considering. Financial advice related to this situation would be helpful, and also how to deal with dealerships when approaching. What to expect, etc. Also willing to discuss other options for AWD cars.

Shredmo
02-16-2011, 09:27 AM
My first financing thought, if you are not keeping a car to full term, avoid subsidized financing in the future. I assume you took GM's 0% apr over the rebate when you bought your G8.

dandragonrage
02-16-2011, 09:32 AM
I intended to keep this car. I got an AWD winter beater and while that car was a piece of crap, I have tasted the sweet sweet fruit of AWD and I no longer have any love left for RWD, no matter how good the tires are.

Don't get me wrong - the G8 is great in many ways, but traction is important and the G8 just doesn't deliver. Besides, I live in MA and am now using (currently) the G8 year-round. WS70s make it pretty decent in the snow but still nowhere close to the A4 Quattro I just dumped.

Shredmo
02-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Lots of great options for AWD. Short term , I'd consider a certified 335ix, 535ix or S4. The G35x mentioned is certainly a great choice for longer ownership. Long term, I like Subarus. Legacy GT is worth a look. Not sure of other good choices that are not Haldex.

dandragonrage
02-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Well, I'd like to say that I'm looking for a car to keep for at least 5 years, but it really depends on how I'm liking the car over time. I've considered the 335xi but I'm not confident in the reliability of German cars considering how much time I've spent over the last year fixing crap on the Audi. And JDP&A rates BMW much lower than Audi in reliability last time I checked. They are nice looking cars but I want something that, for being an advanced car, is relatively easy to maintain.

The Audi I had did have over 130k miles, so that means something, but I've owned cars with more miles and haven't had to replace much at all. My first car was an 89 Camaro with 16x k miles, not too much work done to it, and I barely had to do anything to it.

Legacy GT was a car that I was looking at but I hate the looks of Subarus, both interior and exterior. I know it's mechanically a good car, but... bleh! I don't think they have ever made a car that's not ugly.

DJ_JonnyV
02-16-2011, 09:32 PM
It doesn't matter how many damn miles are on an Audi, you'll always be dumping money into it.

fastg8mi
02-16-2011, 09:59 PM
Awd tb ss :)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

WickedMom
02-16-2011, 10:32 PM
SRT Jeep!!

Sent from my amazing and awesome iPhone4

MongosG8
02-16-2011, 10:49 PM
SRT Jeep!!

Sent from my amazing and awesome iPhone4

Awd tb ss :)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

These are the two that came into mind when I seen the thread.

My buddy has a SRT Jeep and he put steel wheels with snows and the thing went through the blizzards we experienced this year with ease. Plus it has some balls!

dandragonrage
02-17-2011, 05:39 AM
Only looking at passenger cars :P I like to handle too much for anything with a higher center of gravity.

G8GTKID
02-17-2011, 05:46 AM
Acura RL or mazda 6?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SRG963
02-17-2011, 05:49 AM
Impreza WRX or Lancer Evo?

G8GTKID
02-17-2011, 05:52 AM
Impreza WRX or Lancer Evo?

I was thinking of those too ^^^^

dandragonrage
02-17-2011, 06:13 AM
WRX is just not my style (LGT is much closer but still a ways out), but I had completely forgotten about the Lancer Evo. Never driven one, but I'll add it to my list of cars to check out. I have heard good things about its AWD. Edit: There are only 4 listed on cars.com within 50 miles from me and they are more expensive than a G35x by a good bit.

Not a fan of Mazda and it definitely isn't going to be fast enough. I've also read that the 6 is not very reliable.

I'll check the RL out but Acura is generally a brand that I find too bland. How's the performance on that one?

I'm gonna set my absolute maximum at $25k, though a bit less than that is good. 2006-2008 seems to be a good year range to look at for nice cars in the budget.

P.S. Chrysler is completely out of the running. I HATE Chrysler. The only brands I hate are Chrysler (and all its associates) and Toyota (but not Lexus).

G8GTKID
02-17-2011, 06:27 AM
I'll check the RL out but Acura is generally a brand that I find too bland. How's the performance on that one?
Here is a link for a 2005 RL.
http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/acura/rl/specifications/index.html

dandragonrage
02-17-2011, 06:39 AM
Hmm. It is on the heavy side but it looks worth checking out. I'm sure it's begging for some Koni shocks though...

G8GTKID
02-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Hmm. It is on the heavy side but it looks worth checking out. I'm sure it's begging for some Koni shocks though...
I actually test drove one before I got the G8 and they are pretty nice.

dandragonrage
02-17-2011, 07:08 AM
New criteria to add: No wood in the car. Anywhere. Faux, real... no thanks. I will never understand how people can like that.

SRG963
02-17-2011, 07:10 AM
New criteria to add: No wood in the car. Anywhere. Faux, real... no thanks. I will never understand how people can like that.

P.S. Chrysler is completely out of the running. I HATE Chrysler. The only brands I hate are Chrysler (and all its associates) and Toyota (but not Lexus).

lol

I hate Cryslers too! Jeep Wrangler is the only product I'd consider.

G8GTKID
02-17-2011, 07:12 AM
Depending on age lol

JPEGXP
02-17-2011, 08:17 AM
You could do a Cadillac CTS AWD Performance edition, by going with the standard performance package you will get carbon fiber inserts instead of the wood trim.

dandragonrage
02-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Anyone have more information on the CTS AWD system?

texn884
02-18-2011, 05:44 PM
M1A1 Abrams will do the trick for ya plus you can aim the cannon at anyone that is in the way and blow the shit out of them or sit up top and let the 50 cal pop a few rounds down the highway and what do you know, a clear path to crusie the tank down. Just a thought.

MIEngineer
02-18-2011, 06:10 PM
I went from an 06 Saab 9-2X to the GXP. VERY happy I did.

A new guy at work is getting rid of his Subaru for a Vette.

dandragonrage
02-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Oh, I'm well aware that a G35x would be down a lot of power from a G8. But I want AWD and I don't like the radio/heater situation, etc... I don't like the lack of fold down rear seats but the G35 doesn't have them either :/

Also, the AWD G35x is still 250Lb lighter...

But I'm gonna test drive some other stuff too e.g. 328xi. Don't want a 335xi due to HPFP issues (and price issues, probably).
Perhaps a Legacy GT just to be sure...
Not Acura stuff since the AWD is front-biased...
Not Audi... Though I may actually check out a Passat VR6 4motion, I know, I know, same stuff...

I'm fairly decided on a G35x, though.