PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Day Plus....

christiancoach
02-14-2011, 04:21 PM
I was thinking of possibly doing Exotics at Redmond Town Center in the morning, lunch, Dyno Runs at Carb Conn and, then maybe a short cruise. Dyno runs are $75, and we need 5 cars minimum.
A few local GTO owners are interested as well if we need more people.
Or we could open it to F-Bodies, or Camaro5 members.

Let me know if you are interested.
Tony

christiancoach
02-15-2011, 12:25 PM
I just got a green light from Exotics at Redmond Town Center to bring a group! I figured it would be ok, but figured better safe than sorry!
Working on the date now...

supermikey
02-16-2011, 05:30 AM
id be down to do a pull

Seattle09GT
02-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Need some advanced notice on date/time but interested in a pull and going to X@RTC

christiancoach
02-18-2011, 08:12 AM
Looking at April 2nd. Is there anything going on that I should take into account?

Seattle09GT
02-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Looking at April 2nd. Is there anything going on that I should take into account?

Don't think so - wonder if they'll meet tomorrow. Supposed to be crazy cold in the AM but perfect day tomorrow.

christiancoach
02-18-2011, 09:54 AM
ERTC is on for tomorrow. Even if it is cold. They just don't do it if it rains.

Rubbabubi
02-21-2011, 06:58 AM
I'm down for the April 2nd dyno day.

Seattle09GT
02-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Ya, I'm in for a group showing at Exotic at RTC and a dyno day. It will motivate me to get the Solo exhaust system in before then.

christiancoach
02-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Ok, Date is April 2nd!
I spoke with Carb Conn and they are willing to "guarantee" us 12 cars on the dyno. Each car takes about 20 minutes. Each car gets between 3 and 6 back to back pulls. No tuning between runs, that's not what this is about. LS motors on the dyno usually get their best results on the 3rd to 6th run.

I am posting this to all three forums (G8board, Grrrr8, and LS1GTO) simultaneously. Those who have already said yes to this get spots, if I can figure out who all that was. The remaining slots will go to whoever commits soonest, and after 12 slots the rest will be waitlisted. More than likely we can get 15 cars through, but Carb Conn didn't want to promise a larger number and then something happen and not be able to get through that many.

08G8V8
02-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Count me in.

christiancoach
02-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Went through all 4 boards (forgot about PNWG8) and here are the people who committed or interested. If you are on the list and DON'T want a Dyno Run, or April 2nd doesn't work, let me know so I can update the list. Thanks!
1. Christiancoach
2. ExpLiciTSainT
3. Jga247
4. 08G8V8
5. Seattle09GT
6. Supermikey
7. Rubbabubi
8. DustPunk
9. TheElementalCashew
10. VR4GTO
11. Geewheezer

christiancoach
03-07-2011, 05:25 PM
THE UPDATED PLAN FOR APRIL 2ND!!!
First off, let me say, you are welcome to come to any portion of anything planned all day. If you want to join us for the whole day, not get a wash, show your car, or do a dyno run, you are still more than welcome!
Metropolitan Detail will be opening at 7am with free coffee and donuts. They are now located in Bellevue at a new location. John is offering up $35 Hand Washes for everyone! A Hand Wash includes, 2 Bucket Wash, Clean Wheels, Vacuum, Windows inside and out, and Dress Tires. This is a great deal and guarantees your car is looking awesome for the day!
We will depart from Metropolitan at 8:30 and head to Redmond.

Exotics at Redmond Town Center! The event is open to ALL cars, not just exotics. I have spoken to the organizers and we will have a section just for us. Modern GM Muscle!
The event runs from 9am to 11am.

Then it is off to Carb Connection in Kirkland (Totem Lake) for Dyno runs.
I spoke with Carb Connection and they are willing to "guarantee" us 12 cars on the dyno. Each car is $60. Each car takes about 20 minutes. Each car gets between 3 and 6 back to back pulls. No tuning between runs, that's not what this is about. LS motors on the dyno usually get their best results on the 3rd to 6th run.

This is posted on a few boards and 10 people have committed to a Dyno slot. More than likely we can get 15 cars through, but Carb Conn didn't want to promise a larger number and then something happen and not be able to get through that many. The remaining slots will be given to the first posters. The first 12 will have Dyno slots, and anyone everyone else will be "waitlisted". CC will do as many as they can.

I was thinking of doing a monster pizza and pop order, and asking everyone to pitch in $5 for lunch at Carb Conn. The sooner we get there, the more cars we can get through.

My goal is to meet other people who have a passion for Modern GM performance car and have some fun!

Let me know if you have any questions. I need an accurate count for Hand Washes at Metropolitan, and a semi accurate headcount to give ERTC so they know how much space we need, so please let me know if you are planning to come and what parts you want to participate in. If you want in on a dyno slot, post asap in this thread that you want in!

Looking forward to meeting a bunch of you!

Seattle09GT
03-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Keeping fingers crossed the weather cooperates!

christiancoach
03-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Hello Everyone!
Thanks for shooting me some updates!
The event is still on for Saturday. We won't know if Exotics at Redmond Town Center will be on until Thursday when they make their decision based on the weather forecast.
Please let me know if you plan to head to Metropolitan Detail for a Hand Wash in the morning. They need a headcount. If ERTC is cancelled due to weather we will be meeting up at Carb Connection around 10am.
IMPORTANT NOTE: I-405 will be completely closed through Bellevue this weekend. Please be sure to leave early and plan accordingly! There could be major freeway backups, so plan to use other routes.
Closure Information! (http://wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/I405/NE8thtoSR520/NE12th.htm)
On a personal note, my car won't be ready. For those of you who don't know, my car is in the midst of a major makeover. Since it won't be ready I will be bringing out something very interesting in it's place. Come by on Saturday to check out my car in progress, and what I am pulling out of my sleeve in it's place.
There are a couple of Dyno slots available!

Seattle09GT
03-29-2011, 10:34 AM
I am in for the car wash and Exotics @ RTC weather permitting and dyno (on the list already). So definitely put me down for the car washing.

If Exotics @ RTC is on, but the weather forecast is iffy, I'm out for the car wash. I will make that decision on Thursday - obviously if I wake up Saturday and the weather weasels lied, I'm out on the car wash whether I'm on the list or not.

No matter, I'm doing the dyno. $60 is chump change for six pulls and I'm curious on what kind of numbers I'm putting down. Given my time in the 1/4 mile without the Volant and a couple of other tweaks (tune only) and that was in very damp weather with so-so track conditions, I'm hoping I'm pushing 340s in the HP department. My 1/4 mile time versus weight would support that guess. I guess I got a good one from a driveline stand point. I'm a firm believer that any given run of cars has 10% or so where the tolerances are a little tighter, its bolted together just a little better and they produce better numbers. Likewise there is the 10% that are mechanically not super sound for various reasons. The rest fall into the magazine average range. I'm pretty darn sure I'm blessed with a mechanically above average G8.

08G8V8
03-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Go ahead and take my name off the list for the dyno. I will be there, but I will not be doing any pulls. I was just there today doing a dyno tune. I've made enough pulls in the past 2 weeks.

Seattle09GT
03-31-2011, 08:39 AM
Saturday's weather looks like a coin toss. We'll see what X@RTC decides.

christiancoach
03-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Exotics at Redmond Town Center has been cancelled due to weather!
The dyno day is still on! The fun and horsepower begins at 10:30!!!
See you there.

Seattle09GT
03-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Exotics at Redmond Town Center has been cancelled due to weather!
The dyno day is still on! The fun and horsepower begins at 10:30!!!
See you there.

10:30 it is - yay, get to sleep in!

08G8V8
03-31-2011, 11:16 PM
Go ahead and take my name off the list for the dyno. I will be there, but I will not be doing any pulls. I was just there today doing a dyno tune. I've made enough pulls in the past 2 weeks.

Scratch this......I am gonna get a tweaked tune that I want to datalog, so I am keeping my place in line, as you didn't remove me yet!

08G8V8
04-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Make sure to bring a thumb drive so you can get the dyno files to review later.

08G8V8
04-01-2011, 01:09 AM
I know some of you have the Cortex, so if you are familiar with the datalog aspect, you could probably datalog a few runs. Not sure if it will store multiple logs. I never datalogged mine when I had it.

Seattle09GT
04-01-2011, 06:21 AM
Make sure to bring a thumb drive so you can get the dyno files to review later.

Thanks! This is good to know!

Ben2009GT
04-01-2011, 08:15 AM
See you guys there tomorrow.

08G8V8
04-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Here is a link to the dyno videos I took.

Dallas, for some reason yours are really blurry, so they are really only good for audio.

http://s469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/jdschaak/dyno%20day/

Seattle09GT
04-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Here is a link to the dyno videos I took.

Dallas, for some reason yours are really blurry, so they are really only good for audio.

http://s469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/jdschaak/dyno%20day/

Thanks for posting so quickly! Didn't know you were filming everyone - great to see the whole crew, all we needed was some bikini clad women and it would have been the absolute perfect man day. Horsepower, torque, V8s, Lemon's race car, noise, fumes, hot wings, beer. damn!

08G8V8
04-02-2011, 06:07 PM
I missed a few. I think Tony got everyone, but all from the rear.

Seattle09GT
04-02-2011, 06:14 PM
See you guys there tomorrow.

Dude! You so need to have your front hood scoops painted black on my G8. It would look particularly awesome on your car.

christiancoach
04-02-2011, 06:57 PM
LhDjSXHS2Ds

christiancoach
04-02-2011, 07:12 PM
1976 Holden Monaro HX LE on the Dyno. 1 of 580 Produced, this is one of 2 Monaro LE's outside of Australia. Not bad for a car with 170,000+ Kilometers on the odometer!
Q0u6RvxuDlo

christiancoach
04-02-2011, 07:21 PM
08G8V8 on the dynoe 449 Supercharged Horsepower!
XYApT6ZHz-A

christiancoach
04-02-2011, 07:28 PM
fnEOEe4PaQw

christiancoach
04-02-2011, 07:47 PM
BlackBeast on the Dyno!
i-fLPUHQrus

christiancoach
04-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Seattle09GT on the Dyno. I didn't catch the HP/TQ Numbers.

bNYMIihKGOg

Seattle09GT
04-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Seattle09GT on the Dyno. I didn't catch the HP/TQ Numbers.

bNYMIihKGOg

321.80 / 346 - so I'm rounding up to 322. ;-)

christiancoach
04-02-2011, 08:10 PM
w0K3dC4FqRU

christiancoach
04-02-2011, 08:13 PM
I can't tell at the end of the video if he ran 333hp, or 343hp.
The first pull was exciting!
MOxIXWUAXUw

christiancoach
04-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Lat but not least, the Team Petty Cash 24 Hours of Lemons Jeep XJ race truck with a 240,000 mile 4.0 Liter inline 6. This "car" won's it division at Buttonwillow. Next race is a true 24 hour race in Reno. I will be one of 5 drivers going for the overall win!!
I got 4 hours of seat time last year at Infineon in this. A whole lot of fun!
vteKLIKCyGw

Seattle09GT
04-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Lat but not least, the Team Petty Cash 24 Hours of Lemons Jeep XJ race truck with a 240,000 mile 4.0 Liter inline 6. This "car" won's it division at Buttonwillow. Next race is a true 24 hour race in Reno. I will be one of 5 drivers going for the overall win!!
I got 4 hours of seat time last year at Infineon in this. A whole lot of fun!
vteKLIKCyGw

And before you snicker, as featured on The Truth About Cars

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/03/make-your-screen-throw-a-rod-more-sears-pointless-lemons-photos/

LeMons racing is very, VERY, awesome and it was fabulous to see a car that I've been reading about.

Seattle09GT
04-02-2011, 08:29 PM
1976 Holden Monaro HX LE on the Dyno. 1 of 580 Produced, this is one of 2 Monaro LE's outside of Australia. Not bad for a car with 170,000+ Kilometers on the odometer!
Q0u6RvxuDlo

Two-hundred-and-twenty-six horsepower has NEVER sounded so good.

08G8V8
04-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks for setting this up Tony. I think everyone had a really good time. I know I did.

Seattle09GT
04-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Ditto - Tony you set up a great day. Too bad you missed wings, hope the photo shoot went well.

christiancoach
04-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks to everyone who came out! I am bummed that I missed the wings as well. Will post up some pics when my Bronco get's it feature in Bronco Driver Magazine.

Seattle09GT
04-03-2011, 09:54 AM
So http://wwww.wunderground.com is a great website for gather weather data. There are dozens of weather stations located in Kirkland, Washington that report data at very close intervals. Turns out, there is a NOAA weather station in Kirkland, Washington so I was able to get weather data to grind out DA numbers.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=MD3422&month=4&day=2&year=2011

http://www.pilotoutlook.com/calculators/density-altitude-calculator

Altitude of our location was about 230 feet above sea level, noon temperature was 43 degrees, dew point was 41 degrees, barometric pressure was 29.95 inches. DA adjustment is -709 feet.

Seattle09GT
04-06-2011, 10:16 AM
So I was playing with my data using the DynoJet software and discovered that the numbers given to us were already the DA corrected numbers using SAE/JIS formulas. The DA that day was -713 feet, so all of our numbers were adjusted downward - a lot. My "real" unadjusted numbers were

334 HP / 360 TQ

The reason to use adjustment is to equalize testing for conditions. A G8 sitting on a dyno in Denver is not going to be able to run the same numbers as one in Seattle. But by using a formula to adjust the numbers, you can get a somewhat fair comparison. Likewise if you do more modifications on your car and then run it on the dyno in six months, you need a formula to compensate for the DA to be able to have an apples to apples comparison. If you did a dyno pull on one of our rare, clear, days in the winter when its 20 degrees you're going to get much different numbers if you run six months later on a raining 75 degree day just because of the DA impact.

However, if you want the "glory" number there is no harm or foul in using your unadjusted number; at least in my book.

Also very happy with how the horsepower curve stays strong all the way to raised redline of 6,200 on my G8, never dropping below 89% of its peak all the way to redline. Surprised to see how "rev happy" relatively speaking the L76 engine, with horsepower not really coming up in full force until you start tickling 4,000 RPM. Torque does drops like a rock after 5,750 RPM but usable torque is in a rather flat curve and available through most of the power band, nice (the things you learn). The Superchips tuner has done a damn good job of dialing in the fuel/air mix on my G8 also, just a touch rich, a hair could be dialed out of it and still not risk detonation but there is a very comfortable cushion. Good to know that the Cortex tune has been well done.

So lets hear it, if you got your data on a thumb drive and have crunched the numbers - what was your unadjusted numbers?

christiancoach
04-06-2011, 03:53 PM
So I was playing with my data using the DynoJet software and discovered that the numbers given to us were already the DA corrected numbers using SAE/JIS formulas. The DA that day was -713 feet, so all of our numbers were adjusted downward - a lot. My "real" unadjusted numbers were

334 HP / 360 TQ

The reason to use adjustment is to equalize testing for conditions. A G8 sitting on a dyno in Denver is not going to be able to run the same numbers as one in Seattle. But by using a formula to adjust the numbers, you can get a somewhat fair comparison. Likewise if you do more modifications on your car and then run it on the dyno in six months, you need a formula to compensate for the DA to be able to have an apples to apples comparison. If you did a dyno pull on one of our rare, clear, days in the winter when its 20 degrees you're going to get much different numbers if you run six months later on a raining 75 degree day just because of the DA impact.

However, if you want the "glory" number there is no harm or foul in using your unadjusted number; at least in my book.

Also very happy with how the horsepower curve stays strong all the way to raised redline of 6,200 on my G8, never dropping below 89% of its peak all the way to redline. Surprised to see how "rev happy" relatively speaking the L76 engine, with horsepower not really coming up in full force until you start tickling 4,000 RPM. Torque does drops like a rock after 5,750 RPM but usable torque is in a rather flat curve and available through most of the power band, nice (the things you learn). The Superchips tuner has done a damn good job of dialing in the fuel/air mix on my G8 also, just a touch rich, a hair could be dialed out of it and still not risk detonation but there is a very comfortable cushion. Good to know that the Cortex tune has been well done.

So lets hear it, if you got your data on a thumb drive and have crunched the numbers - what was your unadjusted numbers?

My Adjusted Numbers: 0hp/0tq

Seattle09GT
04-06-2011, 04:09 PM
My Adjusted Numbers: 0hp/0tq

http://www.oecocidades.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Fred-Flintstone-Car.jpg

Tony's car!

christiancoach
04-06-2011, 04:12 PM
http://www.oecocidades.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Fred-Flintstone-Car.jpg

Tony's car!

FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did anyone get a picture of my engine bay??

Rubbabubi
04-21-2011, 11:08 PM

334 HP / 360 TQ

The smoothing factor can change your numbers a bit too if you want it to be even higher. I played around with mine and my uncorrected with 0 smoothing puts me at 336hp and 360tq. However, I've been told by many people that this is a misleading number to use because the uncorrected number is basically the numbers you would get if every single car out there was driving at the exact same temperature, altitude, and humidity. Since every place around the world has a different altitude, temperature and humidity, the correction factors are used so that the dyno operator can input that information and make it an even playing field with everyone else.

To your point about running your car on different days with different temperature and humidity, well that's the whole point of the correction factors. Your uncorrected numbers would change if you dynoed on a warmer day with higher humidity, but if the dyno operator correctly inputs the right temperature and humidity both days then the correction factors will end up changing the uncorrected factors to account for the temperature and humidity change. Thus you will get the same JIS number no matter what the temperature and humidity is outside.

So, to put it simply, if you dyno your car on a cold day, a warm day, and a hot day. Your uncorrected numbers will be different all three times. If you use JIS for a correction factor then depending on the temperature and humidity for each day, your numbers will be adjusted to account for the temperature and humidity, so as long as the dyno operator puts the correct temperature and humidity in the computer then your JIS numbers should be exactly the same all three days. This is why it is only fair to tell people what your JIS or SAE numbers are and not your uncorrected numbers.

Now, if you want to debate between using JIS or SAE numbers, well that's a whole other conversation.