PDA

View Full Version : Quality Windshield Installers in OC?

Tripower
02-11-2011, 08:13 PM
On my way to work this AM heard a rock ricochet off the windshield. I didn't think much of it as it happens often enough. Fast forward to lunch and my co-worker notices a continuous 18"-20" crack starting at the upper edge of the windshield and going horizontal near the rear view mirror. No fixing this one!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality glass installer that does it right the first time without messing up the car? Ideally I'd like an OEM windshield as well. I'm in the OC area. Thanks in advance.

MongosG8
02-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Just an FYI ..be careful who you choose. A rock hit mine without the spider webbing so I had it epoxy filled but every place I had called stated that they never did these windshields before and the looks of it it would be hard to get it perfect.

Definitely request OEM even though you need to wait for them to be shipped to the installer.

bradshow
02-12-2011, 07:27 AM
On my way to work this AM heard a rock ricochet off the windshield. I didn't think much of it as it happens often enough. Fast forward to lunch and my co-worker notices a continuous 18"-20" crack starting at the upper edge of the windshield and going horizontal near the rear view mirror. No fixing this one!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality glass installer that does it right the first time without messing up the car? Ideally I'd like an OEM windshield as well. I'm in the OC area. Thanks in advance.

Cant provide location advice but thats exactly how my windshield turned out. A small rock chip near the top passenger side and then a huge crack went right across the top by the rear view and curved down right in my field of vision. I had safelight do my replacement but they scratched the dash a bit due to the window removal tool. I ended up getting the windshield for free and $200 so can't complain.

Tripower
02-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Did Safelite use the OEM Saint-Gobain Sekurit glass or an after market Pilkington? The Sekurit seems to be used on most European models such as VW, BMW and Porsche. I saw a post on a Bimmer forum where a guy used Safelite and they didn't have a Chinese made windshield for that model so they used an OEM Sekurit place. Was the cost $200 as in your post? Thanks.

bradshow
02-12-2011, 04:00 PM
All it says on the windshield is Soundmaster PGW, DOT 904, M405. It was $398 installed but I filed a claim for the damage to the dash and got $613 or something back.

Sent from my iPhone4

Tripower
02-12-2011, 07:33 PM
All it says on the windshield is Soundmaster PGW, DOT 904, M405. It was $398 installed but I filed a claim for the damage to the dash and got $613 or something back.

Thanks for checking. PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works) used to be sold as PPG before being bought out. Talked to a lady at a glass shop that mentioned that. Incidentally she said they had several choices for the G8 including Plinkington, PGW, Secure-something and Sekurit. Sekurit is the OEM for the G8! For kicks I asked how much for a dealer replacement. Ready? $900 bones!!! The Sekurit was quoted at $430 and should be the same as the dealer since they are the source.

Tripower
02-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Just an FYI ..be careful who you choose. A rock hit mine without the spider webbing so I had it epoxy filled but every place I had called stated that they never did these windshields before and the looks of it it would be hard to get it perfect.

Definitely request OEM even though you need to wait for them to be shipped to the installer.

I agree - Don't have too much choice in the sense that the windshield will need to be replaced. I suppose an experienced windshield guy should be able to do a decent job on the G8. One glass place is walking distance to work so I can leave the car instead of doing mobile and tell them to take their time and do it right.

WickedMom
02-12-2011, 07:50 PM
I have a soundmaster windshield.
Other than the placement of the logo, I don't see any difference between it and the OE. (their logo is centered on the bottom.)

My OE glass had many rock chips in it, this glass has none so far. Both were in about a year.

Sent from my amazing and awesome iPhone4

Tripower
03-19-2011, 11:00 AM

Sent from my iPhone4

I have a soundmaster windshield.
Other than the placement of the logo, I don't see any difference between it and the OE. (their logo is centered on the bottom.)

My OE glass had many rock chips in it, this glass has none so far. Both were in about a year.

Sent from my amazing and awesome iPhone4

Did the PGW installed have the "dot matrix" borders around the edges like the OEM windshield did? I've heard of some after market windshields not having them. Thanks.