PDA

View Full Version : Put it in N if waiting?

IXLR8
12-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Can someone tell me what goes on in the transmission when switching from D to N? I hate to sit for long periods with my foot on the brake.

Would it be better to slip into Neutral, or is nothing wearing while it is in Drive?

Thanks!

Kermit
12-11-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm like you and hate to keep my foot on the brake when at stop lights. I always put it in neutral. Did that with my GP for 11 years with no side effects.

99-LS1-SS
12-11-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm getting a manual transmission but I too don't like sitting there with the clutch and brake pushed in. I'll take it out of gear at stop lights. Once the other light turns yellow I put it back in gear and that way I'm ready to roll as soon as my light turns green.

SRG963
12-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Just don't gas it until it engages back into gear and everything will be good.

TheTugBoat
12-11-2008, 05:47 PM
if there's a slight incline you can get away with putting it in third and let it equalize

GeorgeInNePa
12-11-2008, 06:15 PM
if there's a slight incline you can get away with putting it in third and let it equalize

It's not a good idea to use the torque converter as a hill holder.

PostalCherokee
12-11-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm getting a manual transmission but I too don't like sitting there with the clutch and brake pushed in. I'll take it out of gear at stop lights. Once the other light turns yellow I put it back in gear and that way I'm ready to roll as soon as my light turns green.

I'm no expert but isn't it hard on the clutch bearing or something of that nature to hold it down while stopped?

G8GTlawride
12-11-2008, 08:05 PM
That would be the throw-out bearing and your foot will wear out before it does.

IXLR8
12-12-2008, 04:53 AM
No one has actually aswered the question.... What is the mechanism that goes on in the transmission? ie number solenoids actuating, gears engaging, torque converter actuation...

Thanks!

GRRRR8
12-12-2008, 05:30 AM
About the only thing that will wear is the shifter and cable.

SRG963
12-12-2008, 07:18 AM
No one has actually aswered the question.... What is the mechanism that goes on in the transmission? ie number solenoids actuating, gears engaging, torque converter actuation...

Thanks!

Is this a test :uhm:

I fail :confused2:

:sad:

Circle-D
12-13-2008, 06:34 AM
When you are stopped in an automatic while in gear, the torque converter is slipping which allows the engine to turn but the transmission input shaft does not turn. When you put it in neutral you turn off the forward clutches and the input shaft starts to turn but it is not engaged so it just freely spins. Technically there is a some heat generated when you are stopped and in drive because the converter is absorbing the power from the engine. You will not hurt anything either way though. The only dangerous thing I can see is if you forget it is in neutral and the light turn green, so you give it gas and the car does not move. So you panic and realize it is in neutral and slap it in to drive while the RPM's are high. Basically doing a mini "Neutral Drop." I could get a little more technical on the inner workings of the converter, but it might take a few more paragraphs. Hope this helps.

Chris

-Ray-
12-13-2008, 06:50 PM
I usually put it in neutral if I think I'm going to be there for a few minutes.

IXLR8
12-14-2008, 02:14 PM
I could get a little more technical on the inner workings of the converter, but it might take a few more paragraphs. Hope this helps.

Please do, unless it is redundantly covered elsewhere on here.

No one seems too concerned on when the torque converter locks, but that seems like a very important part of putting power to the road...

In my opinion this is a mostly overlooked part of a street car. But ask any 1/4 mile racer, the engagement sequence for the tranny is almost more important than the engine.... They all have plenty of power, putting it down is the trick.

MABG8er
12-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Slightly related question.

I've always heard that if you put a car into neutral when braking it helps to improve the braking performance. Basically because the car isn't pushing forward anymore. Which is better though, shifting to neutral, or engine braking by putting the car into a lower gear?

4BangR-X
12-14-2008, 07:34 PM

I've always heard that if you put a car into neutral when braking it helps to improve the braking performance. Basically because the car isn't pushing forward anymore. Which is better though, shifting to neutral, or engine braking by putting the car into a lower gear?

Engine braking and shifting to neutral is only a good idea with a manual transmission. There is no need to use engine braking for normal driving. Its only a good idea if you are going down a steep hill, to save brakes.

Shifting an auto tranny into neutral at a stop light is just more action then needed and bad practice.

wreckwriter
12-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Engine braking is a real thing, at least on a manual, shifting to neutral negates it.

-Ray-
12-15-2008, 05:19 AM

Leave it in gear. If you take your foot off the loud pedal, the engine will assist braking.

jnak
12-15-2008, 09:30 AM
I have also read that coasting in gear will use less fuel. The ECM cuts fuel to the engine when you are coasting in gear (the rest of the drivetrain will turn the motor), but if you're in neutral the engine needs gas to run. Obviously the fuel savings wouldn't be huge, but every bit helps.

4BangR-X
12-16-2008, 11:28 PM
I have also read that coasting in gear will use less fuel. The ECM cuts fuel to the engine when you are coasting in gear (the rest of the drivetrain will turn the motor), but if you're in neutral the engine needs gas to run. Obviously the fuel savings wouldn't be huge, but every bit helps.

That is true.