PDA

View Full Version : First G8 to go boom?

SRG963
12-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Check this thread out, is this the first G8 GT to blow?

http://g8gt.com/t4140/#post10678

GRRRR8
12-11-2008, 07:37 AM
I just read that and am waiting to see if it was N/A or not.

G8GT594
12-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Hmm 5021 miles on it? Hmm sounds like my car LOL. Where is this dude from?

GRRRR8
12-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Still waiting on post/PM.

SRG963
12-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Looks like he did a post and dash!

TheTugBoat
12-11-2008, 12:01 PM
How is everyone else getting their hands on a Corsa prototype? If they would hurry up and put it on the market, we would stop wasting our money on the Kooks system. Other than that, nice car. I have a similar set-up. Magnuson charger, the 228/240 Comp Cam, ported heads, Kooks LTH and catted X-pipe, CCW C140 Wheels, except I have the AFE cold air (which I am disappointed in). Beautiful car though, good luck!!

here's his setup...THE MAGGIE DID IT...haha jokes jokes...sounds like too many dyno runs with improper cool-down?

MANOFSTEEL69
12-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Message sent, we'll see what's up.

Ktlplxm
12-11-2008, 01:08 PM
I have already posted this on another site, so if it looks a little familiar its because one of the admins asked me to post it, and I just pasted...

So just wondering, has anyone else blown an L76 up yet? haha We were doing some testing this past saturday, getting dB levels and sounds from different exhaust, and around test run #4 something let go. Lets see the, the exact way I described it to the other guys not present was "piston particulate matter ejected through the block at high velocity" So do I get the prize for first "blown" engine; 5021 miles?

hahahaha
To Question #1 It was naturally aspirated. No nitrous, no supercharger (although one would have been ordered had the guy doing the KenneBells answered the phone) and lastly, no turbo
To Question #2 The facilities where "the incident", as it shall be called, will not be disclosed simply because there are too many people who will assume they are to blame.
We were doing exhaust test, making decibel recordings, sound clips, and trying to optimize and exhaust sound for an aftermarket company I will not disclose. The recording were being taken at:
1. idle to 10 mph
2. 60pmh in 6th
3. WOT windows up
4. WOT windows down
5. WOT outside of vehicle
Between runs, the vehicle was allowed to cool and then the exhaust components were changed out or adjusted. Halfway through set #5, the incident occurred. Coolant temp was approx 200 through the runs, oil temp was at 215-220. The resulting particulate (haha) was found in the floor. No coolant on the ground, with a speckling of oil. It is about inpossible to tell what actually gave. The #2 piston, wristpin, and connecting rod are toast. No discoloration could be seen on the rod to indicate overheating or poor oil flow. the engine has had Mobil 1 Synthetic since 3000 miles. More pictures will be posted as they are taken. Furthermore, before anyone else asks, I will not even try to warranty the motor. Although I do not believe the parts installed could have caused the failure, they certainly did not help it either. I have heard of a few others "losing a rod" that were stock. Maybe this is something that as more miles are accrued, will become more prevelant and GM will need to address it. Secondly, if the motor weren't covered under the warranty, my VIN would be "listed", ie, any future problems would be looked at more closely and unfairly than they should. Lastly, as anyone there with me that day can attest, the first words out of my mouth when it happened were, "So how much is a 427 again?", and that is exactly what I will be doing. The engine was ordered Monday morning, and will be installed this weekend and coming week. Now 50 Cent won't be the only one with a 427 powered G8 hahaha

TheTugBoat
12-11-2008, 02:19 PM
in another thread on g8board you said you had a maggie???

Ktlplxm
12-11-2008, 03:03 PM
A little clarification. I have had a total of 3 G8's. 1 2008 and 2 2009's. I am fortunate enough to have an overseas customer who is as much of a gear head as any of us. One of the 09's was completely stock that when we shipped to him. The other one was the magnacharged vehicle described. If you read some other earlier post regarding that vehicle, we weren't happy with the exhaust sound on that vehicle (nor was he happy with the afe cai). Once we put an exhaust he was happy with (American Racing LTH, no cats, w/ a custom borla) and a CAI (Rotofab), the vehicle was shipped to him along with the stock one. I used the Kooks set up on my car, along with the AFE (and I agree it is ugly, but it works). The same grind camshaft was used in mine also, its a little choppy but it makes good power. Plus I was planning on utilizing the new KB based charger, thankfully I had not heard from them and put money down on said charger. He has also bought vette's denali's, avalanche's, and GTO's from us, so when he says change it, it gets changed. But while we're nitpicking my history I've also had 9 fbody's, 3 grand prix's, 2 s10's, and a bonneville SSEI. lol

bwooten492
12-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Bad tune?

Ktlplxm
12-11-2008, 05:34 PM
NO the tune was good. No where near lean in the AF nor on the exhaust valves or plugs. Wasn't running rich either. Running a good 12:1 the entire time.

PontiacDan
12-11-2008, 05:36 PM
wow, so what were the mods to the engine?

Ktlplxm
12-11-2008, 05:55 PM
wow, so what were the mods to the engine?

Just the basics. CAI, Camshaft, non- DOD lifters, Longtubes, Catted Xpipe, axle back system, you know, everything people normally do to a car in two months. LOL Oh, and a tune. I think thats a given with a cam, but someone already pointed out once I didn't mention it. I find the whole thing fortuitous, it gave me an excuse to order a bigger forged engine sooner than I planned.

SRG963
12-11-2008, 05:59 PM
I find the whole thing fortuitous, it gave me an excuse to order a bigger forged engine sooner than I planned.

I like your attitude :cheers:

Be sure to post pics of the build please :)

Mach 5
12-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Yea, definitely post build pics of this beast! What sort of timeframe are you looking at?

G8GT594
12-11-2008, 08:28 PM
I''m still leaning toward a bad tune, or a faulty part from the factory, either way sounds like you have a good plan ahead of you lol!

GRRRR8
12-11-2008, 08:55 PM
A tune would not cause this. This is going to be a weak rod or internal imbalance. The damage he descibed and the description give of what he has seen eliminates tune. The only way you toast a motor with tuning is hi-boost ultra lean, way too fat fuel fouled oil, or you went way beyond stock internals. He didnt have anymore mods then all the others on here. Thats why I keep saying the stock short block will not take major boost, they will blow just getting them too 500 HP due to the internals and balancing. If our shift points stayed at 5800 it might never blow,but when you do a cam it will jump to 6500 and now you went 700rpms past what it was designed to last 100k at a lower rpm. If you took 100 factory crate motors at least 2 upon inspection are bombs, same thing as our motors. Now if you take a specialty crate motor with better internals you will have a higher success rate, but I have seen them spit a rod and spin bearings too.

PontiacDan
12-12-2008, 03:38 AM
Well, in that case, I have to agree with GRRRR8, sounds like a faulty rotating assembly/rod/etc, those mods shouldn't of caused the engine to pop. Hell, I was putting down over 500rwhp on a stock shortblock 3-v 4.6L.... They are only supposed to be good to 450ish rwhp.

GRRRR8
12-12-2008, 05:27 AM
Thank you Dan. It can be done, BUT was it DESIGNED to..... NO. 1000s will with no issues, but he is the 1st that we know of and I asked him to post and it seemed more were concerned doubting his mods and such then using the post that I asked him to post here as information on what can happen. He could have had the A/F at 12.9(which is where mine will be) and it should not have popped.

99-LS1-SS
12-12-2008, 05:32 AM
Like posted by Grrrr8, I think there was something wrong with it from the factory. I've beat the shit out of cars with more mods than he has and haven't grenaded any yet.../crosses fingers.

Ktlplxm
12-12-2008, 06:09 AM
Yea, definitely post build pics of this beast! What sort of timeframe are you looking at?

The car died last saturday. It will be driving again by this coming tuesday. Shortblock has arrived, and the engine is already out of the car with the head removed and at the machine shop having the exhaust opened up and the rest checked.

Ktlplxm
12-12-2008, 06:14 AM
A tune would not cause this. This is going to be a weak rod or internal imbalance. The damage he descibed and the description give of what he has seen eliminates tune. The only way you toast a motor with tuning is hi-boost ultra lean, way too fat fuel fouled oil, or you went way beyond stock internals. He didnt have anymore mods then all the others on here. Thats why I keep saying the stock short block will not take major boost, they will blow just getting them too 500 HP due to the internals and balancing. If our shift points stayed at 5800 it might never blow,but when you do a cam it will jump to 6500 and now you went 700rpms past what it was designed to last 100k at a lower rpm. If you took 100 factory crate motors at least 2 upon inspection are bombs, same thing as our motors. Now if you take a specialty crate motor with better internals you will have a higher success rate, but I have seen them spit a rod and spin bearings too.

I'm glad to see someone else agrees with our way of looking at this. I'm fairly sure it was the rod cap on the number 2 cylinder that broke first. The largest parts in the pan seem to be the cap. #2 cylinder is shot. Of course the exit wound is there, the piston has been busted pretty well from the bottom, or so it seems, but the head only sustained cosmetic problems. Thankfully it seems whatever happened, happened on the downward sized of the stroke.
For those of you genuinely interested, thanks for the support

G8GT594
12-12-2008, 06:45 AM
The car died last saturday. It will be driving again by this coming tuesday. Shortblock has arrived, and the engine is already out of the car with the head removed and at the machine shop having the exhaust opened up and the rest checked.

Sounds like you don't mess around! Looking forward to the results.

Ktlplxm
12-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Sounds like you don't mess around! Looking forward to the results.

"Patience is a virtue, but only if there is nothing that needs to get done"

MANOFSTEEL69
12-12-2008, 07:27 AM
Damn, looks like someone will beat me to my stroker idea....Good luck with it!

GRRRR8
12-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Damn, looks like someone will beat me to my stroker idea....Good luck with it!

I think he is doing a 7.0L crate motor from a Vette.

PontiacDan
12-12-2008, 03:33 PM
nice

Crazy Paul
12-14-2008, 02:29 AM
Siezed oil pump ?

:watch:

GRRRR8
12-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Siezed oil pump ?

:watch:

That is a possibilty also, but that should be obvious once they tear it down.

Ktlplxm
12-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Okay guys. we've run into an issue that hopefully someone can help with. Battery of course has been disconnected for a few days. Engine is in ready to go, but it will not start. Key turns, no initiallizing. DIC says low fuel, contact dealer. Contacted dealer and all they could say was "oh its locked". Well no shit. I asked how to unlock it or if they could unlock it. "uh, not sure". any help?

GRRRR8
12-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Quickie checks. You do have the correct reluctor ring right 24x/58x I believe we have a 58. You may have to do a cam/crank relearn also. Most scan tools or a DashHawk will do that. Keep me posted so I can help. Charlie

Ktlplxm
12-18-2008, 01:57 PM
it will not communicate with a tech 2 at all

Ktlplxm
12-18-2008, 01:58 PM
the only communication is through the drivers info center

GRRRR8
12-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Your Tech 2 is for CAN I assume, so there is a power or ground issue. I would start by checking all fuses just to be sure, but if you have no communication that is teh 1st thing to isolate. Make sure any grounds that were at the heads or anywhere are all hooked up and tight.

Ktlplxm
12-18-2008, 02:05 PM
okay stupid question. what is CAN? I'm not familiar with the acronym

Cliffy
12-22-2008, 05:29 PM
I know it's a little late, but sounds like you my be in a 'logic lock' condition. GM speak for "locked up"
to unlock a logic locked car, disconnect both battery cables, touch them together for 15-20 seconds. then reconnect and see if you have communication. Ctrl-alt-delete for cars. Give it a shot if you haven't got it by now.

-Ray-
12-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Uhhh, I don't think it's a very good idea to touch the battery cables together, unless you plan on doing some welding.

-Ray-
12-22-2008, 07:12 PM
okay stupid question. what is CAN? I'm not familiar with the acronym

Control Area Networks. It's a standard for communication.

MANOFSTEEL69
12-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Cables together, no problem. Touching one of the cables while battery is connected....that's a problem.

-Ray-
12-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Cables together, no problem. Touching one of the cables while battery is connected....that's a problem.

Doh! I never do well at those tests with the simplest answer either. LOL

Chewy
12-22-2008, 07:30 PM

agreed!

Ktlplxm
12-26-2008, 09:11 AM
You know that is so simple it may actually work; I doubt it but I can hope. Does anyone have a wiring schematic for either the commodore or the G8? The dealerships do not have easy access, if any, to them. It would be nice to know exactly which wires are responsible for what.

-Ray-
12-26-2008, 02:53 PM
What exactly do you need. There are dozens of wiring diagrams.

Ktlplxm
12-26-2008, 05:27 PM
I need a FULL chassis and engine wiring schematic. One showing all interaction between the column, BCM, ECM, and fuse panels. If you have one that would be great. ALLDATA doesn't have one that I could find, nor did Mitchell's, Chilton, or Haynes. The only thing I've heard of, from one of the moderators here, is of a full Commodore diagram.

-Ray-
12-27-2008, 02:33 AM
Let's see if Crazy Paul can help. This is just a little beyond me.
I think.

Crazy Paul
12-27-2008, 02:56 AM
Let's see if Crazy Paul can help. This is just a little beyond me.
I think.

OK leave it to me, I'll put my convict heritage to good use sorting this one out.

:woohoo:

Ktlplxm
12-27-2008, 07:42 AM
OK leave it to me, I'll put my convict heritage to good use sorting this one out.

:woohoo:

Thanks again guys. This is the aggravating part about projects, little delays you cannot anticipate.
12/6 Engine blows...first round of stripper-therapy required
12/8 427 Short block ordered
12/11 Short block received
12/15 Heads come back from machine shop
12/17 All parts transferred and engine installed, vehicle will not start
12/18 Find communication down between ignition switch-BCM-ECM, ecm pulled; communicates fine with programmer
12/20 Mechanic goes home for holidays to return on the 29th...
12/21 aggravation relapse time for more Strippertherapy
12/22 hangover from Strippertherapy
12/23 damn Jaeger
12/24 Bahumbug
12/25 bahumbug again
12/26...
12/27...

Brand new G8GT (before the dealers started dropping them like flies)- $27000
Total cost in modifications (including engine)- $10000
Seeing the look on the M6 owners face when I embarrass his $100000 car-
PRICELESS

Anyone else feeling the frustration? hahaha

GRRRR8
12-27-2008, 07:51 AM
LOL! I think more stripper therapy is in order! :woohoo:

TheTugBoat
12-30-2008, 06:20 AM
definitely need more strippers...just let them take a ride in your car and you wont have to keep paying for those lap dances

Ktlplxm
12-30-2008, 06:21 AM
:spank:
Finally found a detached ground wire in the Harness. Fixed that and all communication was restored between the various components. Vehicle still would not start. ECM showed a crankshaft position sensor malfunction. Called engine builder to verify the correct reluctor wheel, which he assures is the correct 58 tooth one. Change sensor hoping that it had conked out; no such luck. There is indeed a 24 tooth wheel on it. Now they are assembling another engine and 2nd shipping it to me. Hopefully NEXT week we'll have some hard numbers for anyone interested

99-LS1-SS
12-30-2008, 06:28 AM
This has been an ordeal. I hope you have a bad ass car when you're done.

TheTugBoat
12-30-2008, 06:31 AM
i'm sure that thing will be insane.

Ktlplxm
12-30-2008, 06:55 AM
definitely need more strippers...just let them take a ride in your car and you wont have to keep paying for those lap dances

Me pay for lapdances??? hahaha I'm the one they come to anytime they have auto issues...from tint to inspections... they owe me and a very willing to work some of it off lol

Ktlplxm
12-30-2008, 06:58 AM
This has been an ordeal. I hope you have a bad ass car when you're done.

I do as well. I'm trying to keep it very civil though. If I can keep it around 600 chp, and keep its street manners, I'll be more than happy. If I come across another 4 door that I cannot manage... well, thats why nitrous, forged internals, and compression go so well with one another :bpress:

99-LS1-SS
12-30-2008, 07:01 AM
What are your plans for wheels and tires? There is no chance in hell that the stock setup will handle that kind of power. You might as well be on ice.

GRRRR8
12-30-2008, 07:03 AM
Glad to hear it. I had a feeling about the ground when we talked. When I pull my motor I am counting them and making a check list just to be sure I wont have any issues. The 24 vs 58 has been a issue for a few. Sorry you had to go through that, but I am sure it will be worth it!

TheTugBoat
12-30-2008, 07:29 AM
lucky lucky man.

Ktlplxm
12-30-2008, 12:53 PM
What are your plans for wheels and tires? There is no chance in hell that the stock setup will handle that kind of power. You might as well be on ice.

As far as a track is concerned, I agree. I personally (and I'm sure I'll get lynched for this one) hate drag racing, so I never go to the tracks unless it is to help a customer or friend out. Thankfully. most of my guys (the bmw and mercedes owners at least) like going from low to midrange roll offs. I have a set of 19 x 8 and 20 x 10.5 wheels sitting at the house waiting on it. I'm only planning on running a set of Invo's on it for now. I hope someone will come up with a stickier tire with the right height to it as well as the width I desire, otherwise I'll have to live with the 285/30/20. All the others are either too tall or too short. I don't want a drag radial again and I think the Invo is the best true street tire out there (i've had them on three different vehicles and love them. smooth ride and great lateral traction).

wreckwriter
12-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Well, we hope you'll take it just once and get a time for us.

Ktlplxm
12-30-2008, 12:57 PM
lucky lucky man.

It pays to have females in need lol. Its actually fortuitous that most guys treat them like crap; they really appreciate those that don't. Haha

Ktlplxm
12-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Well, we hope you'll take it just once and get a time for us.

Lol. We'll see. I guess I knida should considering the plethora of 1/8 and 1/4 mile tracks within 1.5-2 hours of here. Is there any one particular sponsor on the site who keeps a lot of parts in stock and has decent deals. I'm getting the urge to do more suppension or brake work while the car is in the air (especially since I have nothing else to do till next week now). Also, does anyone know EXACTLY who to get the Hendrix shafts from?

GeorgeInNePa
12-30-2008, 01:12 PM
As far as a track is concerned, I agree. I personally (and I'm sure I'll get lynched for this one) hate drag racing, so I never go to the tracks unless it is to help a customer or friend out. Thankfully. most of my guys (the bmw and mercedes owners at least) like going from low to midrange roll offs. I have a set of 19 x 8 and 20 x 10.5 wheels sitting at the house waiting on it. I'm only planning on running a set of Invo's on it for now. I hope someone will come up with a stickier tire with the right height to it as well as the width I desire, otherwise I'll have to live with the 285/30/20. All the others are either too tall or too short. I don't want a drag radial again and I think the Invo is the best true street tire out there (i've had them on three different vehicles and love them. smooth ride and great lateral traction).

Tell us more about the 20x10.5...

Brand? Offset?

99-LS1-SS
12-30-2008, 01:16 PM

Brand? Offset?

+1

Ktlplxm
12-30-2008, 01:20 PM

Brand? Offset?
Now now, if I do that someone may get them on their vehicle before I do. haha It isn't the wheel I was originally wanting for this car (another set of CCW's) but with the engine swap my funds were hindered.

99-LS1-SS
12-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Do they at least fit inside the fender without hanging out?

Ktlplxm
12-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Do they at least fit inside the fender without hanging out?

Oh yes. If I could smack every owner I see that has wheels hanging out I would

GeorgeInNePa
12-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Now now, if I do that someone may get them on their vehicle before I do. haha It isn't the wheel I was originally wanting for this car (another set of CCW's) but with the engine swap my funds were hindered.

Actually, all I want to know is what the offset is and do they fit?

;)

Ktlplxm
12-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Actually, all I want to know is what the offset is and do they fit?

;)

I'll look at my numbers when I get home and IM ya with it.

99-LS1-SS
12-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Would you PM me too?

Ktlplxm
12-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Yeah no problem. The main thing is I have to find the info again. I started by using vette wheels with different thickness shims till I got the wheel exactly where I wanted it. Then I called the company to get their info and used a slim shim to sit it where I want it

Ktlplxm
01-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Okay guys. Sorry for the lack of updates. The initial problem concerning the starting has been found and fixed. Then we found that despite the build sheet, someone had indeed installed the wrong reluctor on the crank. After calling the builder, they pulled one of their specialty guys and had him build me another. I won't go into particulars, but they have gone out of their way to make this right. The new engine will be here monday or tuesday so we should be riding and have some conservative numbers for ya by friday. In addition, to the two guys who asked for specifics on the offset of the wheels; I haven't forgot about you, just been a little preoccupied, which I believe anyone here can understand.

Ktlplxm
01-10-2009, 06:17 AM
The new engine is intstalled and running well. No hard numbers yet; with my luck I'm gonna go the safe route and break it in with some easy to medium driving before in dyno pulls. The new engine seems to like the old tune for now, with a little more fuel added for safety's sake. My tuner drove it home last night, will be taking it around town and putting it in various traffic conditions to make sure it is working fine before bringing it to me tomorrow. Can't wait to drive it. From what he tells me, the cam is almost undetectable now with the Kooks on it, so with the stock mufflers I should have complete "plausible deniability" for those weekend questions..."Dammit did you change the engine already? No, I've been working 60 hrs a week, How could I change an engine out?" lol

M5's will never see it coming

GRRRR8
01-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Glad to hear it.

MANOFSTEEL69
01-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Nice!

-Ray-
01-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Congrats!

Ktlplxm
01-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Glad to hear it.

Nice!

Congrats!

Thanks guys. I'll get ya some numbers as soon as I get them. I'd like to have them now, but with my luck I don't think anyone would blame me for breaking it in a little first. A question though... where is everyone getting their Hendrix stuff from?

GRRRR8
01-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Just PM him.

Ktlplxm
01-12-2009, 12:58 PM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/ktlplxm/holeinblock.jpg

Ktlplxm
01-12-2009, 01:02 PM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/ktlplxm/2cylinder.jpg

Ktlplxm
01-12-2009, 01:05 PM
As you can see, the piston broke away completely from the wrist pin and was ejected out the opposite side of the engine. Every other piston and rod look fine, not a hint of Detonation, excessive fuel, excessive lean condition, or any foreign matter. Definitely a weak part from the factory. Hopefully I'm the only one with the bad piston out of a thousand

GRRRR8
01-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Defect!

-Ray-
01-13-2009, 03:12 AM
That was my vote.

99-LS1-SS
01-13-2009, 05:24 AM

I little duct tape will fix that right up.

Devilish34
09-06-2009, 07:42 AM
rBHdZj-qkeQ

-Ray-
09-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Bored?

Ktlplxm
09-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Nah, he was just asking what happened to my stock engine so I showed him the thread... I believe he is mocking me haha

-Ray-
09-06-2009, 08:14 AM
We try to teach John how to search, but to no avail. LOL

Devilish34
09-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Bored?

Very....

My 72hr grounding is almost up. But I still can't go swimming or pick up my kids :( All I can do is sit on my ass watch tv, surf the internet and pop percocets as needed.

Only good part is my wife has to cut the grass. Something she hasn't done in 5+ years

G8GT721
09-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Very....

My 72hr grounding is almost up. But I still can't go swimming or pick up my kids :( All I can do is sit on my ass watch tv, surf the internet and pop percocets as needed.

Only good part is my wife has to cut the grass. Something she hasn't done in 5+ years

reminded me of a joke

One Sunday afternoon, a man was sitting in his lawn chair drinking a beer and watching his wife mow the lawn.

A female neighbor happened to be walking by and was so outraged at this that she ran over and shouted at the man, “You should be hung!”

“I am,” he calmly replied. “Why do you think she cuts the grass?”