02-01-2011, 09:53 AM
M12-1.75 threads
Dorman #65372
Advance Auto
$4.99

If anyone cares.

BlueJacket
02-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Just an FYI not all of the G8's have the same plug.

BigRed585Lbs
02-01-2011, 10:58 AM
How well I know! "Regular" GM's use a 1/2"-20 thread. This is for the other ones.

jimmytt6
02-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Which one for 09.5 G8 GT's L76's?

thanks,

BigRed585Lbs
02-02-2011, 04:22 PM
BigRed was a late '09 GT and used the Dorman plug listed above. I bought one of the GMPP plugs from Pace with the 1/2" threads (some expert dork on the other forum said it was an essential piece of preventive maintenance) and had to return it for a refund because it wouldn't fit. GM plug was $19, Dorman plug is $5; both probably made by the same Chinaman!

jonnynadeau
02-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Just curious about which fits what?
Are all GT's the same? GXP's? V6's?

BlueJacket
02-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Just curious about which fits what?
Are all GT's the same? GXP's? V6's?

I do not know all of the sizes but they are not all the same for the 08 GT and the only way to know what one you have is to take it out and look at it. At some point they changed the oil pan and this is the reason for the different plugs.

Napalm
03-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Y'all are going to hate me for this.

I use mangets on the filter. NO not the 39 dollar things from jegs or what ever.

I use a Sonicare toothbrush (yes I do feel lazy when I use it but my teeth are cleaner, yes really). The brushes work by opposing magnets that are high flux rare earth magnets. These little tiny things hold so hard they don't even glue them on. You have to pry them off with a screwdriver or something. There are 2 on each brush (three really but you can't easily get the other one off) The brushes wear out but the mags are fine, so when I ditch a brush head, I pry off the mags.

I used to use 4 on the GTO oil filter. Stick they right on the casing opposite to each other. They never came off it 3 years of driving, bouncing of shity city streets etc. Every oil change I would take them off, and put them on the new filter.

If (and only if) you use a sonicare tooth brush this is a cheap filter mag. Which in my opinion is better than a drain plug mag. as it holds the chips in the filter.

texn884
03-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Nice thing to know and yes I use a Cybersonic and this type sure does clean your teeth better than a regular tooth brush.
If I have a old charging stand will they still work?:uhm:

Napalm
03-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Those would have coil windings in them. The base of the brush head has permanent magnets in them. big difference. High performace tweeters would have similar magnets in them, if you have a set that are busted. Any bigger than that would be too big for the filter I think.

The ones I use are barely 1/4 inch wide by 1/2 inch long.

jcmGT
03-28-2011, 11:56 AM
high strength magnets are also found in old hard drives

Napalm
03-28-2011, 06:03 PM

OH yes I forgot about those. DAMN STRONG is more like it. Usually too big though. What I like about the sonicare magnets is the very small size. they stick to the filter hard but no larger portrusions to catch on stuff or air flow. No worries about them falling off and damaging anything. I might be more worried than I need to be though. HD mags might not ever come off either. they could always be cut with a cutoff wheel.

Lucifer
04-06-2011, 05:18 PM

Not sure I'd want to mess with those every time I changed the oil....they have given me more than a few blood blisters over the years.

MIEngineer
04-06-2011, 05:53 PM
I wonder if GM has a magnetic plug for the GXP.

I am going to look into it as I want one for the GXP.

Crazy Paul
04-06-2011, 10:53 PM
I wonder if GM has a magnetic plug for the GXP.
I am going to look into it as I want one for the GXP.

Greg from Pace sent me an aftermarket magnetic plug to try out, I gave it to a guy to try on his 2010 SS (pan thread should be the same as GXP). Numbnuts thought it would be a brilliant idea to remove the new seal that came with the plug & put a GM seal on it instead. Course it leaked after a day and his Mrs demanded it all go in the trash.
Grrrrrrrrrrr

BigV8
04-07-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm looking for one also. It also seems that the dealer either didn't tighten my drain plug last time or the seal has gone bad because I noticed oil on the drip pan on the garage floor and oil drop hanging from the plug.

GXPaycheck
04-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Greg from Pace sent me an aftermarket magnetic plug to try out, I gave it to a guy to try on his 2010 SS (pan thread should be the same as GXP). Numbnuts thought it would be a brilliant idea to remove the new seal that came with the plug & put a GM seal on it instead. Course it leaked after a day and his Mrs demanded it all go in the trash.
Grrrrrrrrrrr

Numbnuts. is that an Aussie term?:hmm:

JimmyJazz
04-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Numbnuts. is that an Aussie term?:hmm: I've heard it before.

Crazy Paul
04-08-2011, 07:25 AM
FMJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Fav3iPTE0

texn884
04-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Great clip

BigRed585Lbs
04-25-2011, 07:24 AM
Some "authorities" claim that the oil drain plug gasket should be replaced everytime the plug is taken out of the pan. I need to find out the manufacturer of tis gasket and buy some stock in the company. Wonder if that obama gas eats up these gaskets, too?

Napalm
04-25-2011, 07:30 AM
I have never heard of that on an LS engine. course there is a first time for everything.