PDA

View Full Version : Sea Foam gone wrong??

txg8gt08
01-26-2011, 05:43 PM
I just got my new plugs(NGK Iridium IX TR51X) and wires(Taylor Thunder Volt 50:brock:) from Marylandspeed and decided to do a Sea Foam flush before I put em in since I don't have an oil catch can, yet(ordered one today).

The engine was warm from driving home from work. I pulled the fat vacuum line from the break booster, started the car, and it stumbled and died. So I loosely put the vacuum line back on, started the car, positioned my 1pt. can of Sea Foam near, and sucked down approx. 1/3 pint slowly. Probably over about 30 seconds. Half way through I put the vacuum line back on for a few seconds until the engine smoothed out, then sucked down the rest. I immediately shut off the engine, securely replaced the vacuum line, and waited 8-9 minutes. I know it calls for 5 minutes but i lost track of time checking oil, and scoping out the spark plugs and wires to see how hard/easy it would be. I started it back up and backed half-way out the garage preparing for a legendary smoke cloud. The engine started faster than usual, seemed like it turned over one time and fired. I immediately got a CEL. It sounded like it was running fine so I let it idle for a minute, and gave it a few revs. There was barely any smoke. I mean, it looked more like warm exhaust on a cool night that anything. I have Sea Foamed a car before(my old 300 awhp Talon, don't hate, I have a G8 now : )) so I have an idea of the color/quantity of smoke to expect. I drove it down to my local Auto Zone about 1 mile away, keeping it under 2000rpm and 20% throttle. It felt underpowered slightly even at this level.

It had 2 codes: P0106- MAF sensor condition, and P0303-Cylinder misfire detected cylinder 3.

My car is an 08 GT with 35,100 miles. Mods are x-pipe replacing center muffler/resonators and Vararam intake installed 300 miles ago(I freaking love this thing). Since the intake install(reset ecu for 2 hours) I have had no CEL or problems whatsoever except for not being able to control my right foot :popo:

I am hoping that everything is ok and it just needs an ecu reset to clear the code and it will be fine. I am guessing the underpowered feeling is because a CEL cuts timing or something like a limp mode. I have to drive to work tomorrow, 30 mile roundtrip....

So any ideas/thoughts? I appreciate it.

This could be a good reason to take it to the stealership. I think my LCA's are about shot, and I have a weird clunking sound(like 5-6 clunks in about 1 second) only on the first 1-2 shift(I always baby my car until it gets warm so this is always an easy shift at 1600rpm's or so) after sitting overnight.

As far as my mechanical knowledge, I consider myself a pretty decent mechanic with a decent amount of experience/knowledge. I rebuilt my talon engine after I melted a piston. Remember I said decent mechanic, not a decent tuner haha. I have changed a clutch in my old Ford truck, swapped an engine in a civic and a saturn. Swapped several turbos/manifolds on mitsubishis, starters, alternators, water pumps, etc....

Thanks,
Taylor

-Ray-
01-26-2011, 05:49 PM
You don't say it's tuned, so I'm guessing the G8 thought it had bad gas and dropped you into the low octane fuel map.

txg8gt08
01-26-2011, 05:51 PM
You don't say it's tuned, so I'm guessing the G8 thought it had bad gas and dropped you into the low octane fuel map.

Correct, it is not tuned. So, fresh tank of good gas and reset the ecu to clear the codes?

Thanks

-Ray-
01-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Even if you clear the code it will take a few tanks to reset the fuel maps. Another way to do it is to disconnect the battery for an hour or so.

txg8gt08
01-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Thanks, I will fill up on the way to work and disconnect neg. terminal until lunch and hope for the best. I guess I should take it easy for the first 30 miles so the ecu can relearn the Vararam also, that is what Vararam recommends anyway. Thanks G8 Ray

Devilish34
01-26-2011, 06:19 PM
I've only ever sea foamed my truck .. After warmed up I turned off the truck . I then used a small funnel and poured the recommended amount in using the brake booster line. After X minutes I started it up with no issues

txg8gt08
01-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Hmm I never thought of funneling it in. Always just assumed it had to be suctioned in. This experience left a bad taste in my mouth though I might not sea foam again...

'02 ws6
01-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Did you do any "spirited" revs and accellerations? That helps circulate it better and breaks down the carbon easier. I didn't see if you sprayed any Deep Creep straight into the manifold and/or added a full can of regular Sea Foam to gas tank. Did you? That would be one factor if I did adjust the octane settings. Usually people change plugs following Sea Foaming because of the likelyhood of fouling a plug or two in the process of carbon breakdown. I say fill it up, use a can in the tank, change the plugs, and get some spirit into her, then change the oil w/in 100 miles or so. I've done over 10 Sea Foams and this is my usual method.

txg8gt08
01-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Did you do any "spirited" revs and accellerations? That helps circulate it better and breaks down the carbon easier. I didn't see if you sprayed any Deep Creep straight into the manifold and/or added a full can of regular Sea Foam to gas tank. Did you? That would be one factor if I did adjust the octane settings. Usually people change plugs following Sea Foaming because of the likelyhood of fouling a plug or two in the process of carbon breakdown. I say fill it up, use a can in the tank, change the plugs, and get some spirit into her, then change the oil w/in 100 miles or so. I've done over 10 Sea Foams and this is my usual method.

I didn't do any spirited driving since the CEL came on, but i did give it a few good revs to 3000-3500 rpms. I wanted to do the rest of the can in the gas tank until the CEL. I probably still will after I reset tomorrow. Also planning on an oil change soon. Thanks for the info

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-26-2011, 08:56 PM
I know people have had good success with seafoam, but I'm not crazy about pouring it into the motor. I could just add it to the gas tank, but I've been using fuel injector cleaner without any issues so I'll just stick to that.

The Yeti
01-26-2011, 11:12 PM
I seafoamed a couple G8's. Here is one with 30k miles on it before a catch can install

2zZpzVWNYyU

txg8gt08
01-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Yeah i watched that a few hours before I Sea Foamed haha and I did not get anywhere near that amount of smoke. I would say I got 2% of the amount you did.

Good news is that when I started the car this morning the CEL's were gone and it is running perfect. So I am going to dump the remainder of the Sea Foam(2/3 pint) in the gas tank with about 10 gallons of gas. When that runs out I am going to run a good fuel system cleaner through with another 10 gallons then change plugs and wires, then the oil in about 100 miles. Hell, I might throw some seafoam in the oil while I'm at it. My Billet oil catch can should arrive by then also. I know the fuel cleaner might be overkill, but oh well. Speaking of over kill, any recommendation for a good spray I can use to clean the maf/throttlebody? Or maybe just the throttlebody if I remove the maf first. I don't really want to remove the throttle body. I am hoping to get it ported this summer so I will take it out then.
Thanks

The Yeti
01-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Who did you order your catch can through? If it was Billet Prototypes you might as well wait another month because they take for ever to ship, let alone respond to your inquiries.

'02 ws6
01-27-2011, 12:43 PM
CRC Electronics cleaner is good for cleaning the MAF. Like I said in my earlier post, Sea Foam makes a spray called Deep Creep you can spray the TB with, then open up the blade and spray down inside of your intake all around. Works good.

txg8gt08
01-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Who did you order your catch can through? If it was Billet Prototypes you might as well wait another month because they take for ever to ship, let alone respond to your inquiries.

BilletDepot on Amazon, $99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P9Y56Y/ref=oss_product

txg8gt08
01-27-2011, 12:44 PM
CRC Electronics cleaner is good for cleaning the MAF.

Thanks I'll see if I can find some

'02 ws6
01-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Both CRC and Deep Creep are at any parts store.

txg8gt08
01-27-2011, 02:28 PM
BilletDepot on Amazon, $99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P9Y56Y/ref=oss_product

Ordered Jan 26th, shipped today, estimated arrival Feb. 1-4 : )

txg8gt08
01-28-2011, 08:14 AM
I didn't see if you sprayed any Deep Creep straight into the manifold and/or added a full can of regular Sea Foam to gas tank. Did you?

Do you spray the Deep Creep in while engine is on or off? Let it soak? For how long?
Thanks

chuckie669
01-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Wow, watching that vid. after installing my catch can its amazing how much oil these monsters gobble. my bird didn't smoke after cleaning at idle reviving up to 3500. I took it out on the street and opened it up in first and blotted out the sun.

deep creep you spray with car off and remove air intake tube at tb to get in there.

also may be easier for that guy as he definitely doesn't sound like he has much restrictions in his exhaust

Blackrider
01-29-2011, 10:16 AM
When I Sea Foamed my G8 it didn't want to start and when I got it running it ran like shit. When I finally got it out on the road it pinged really bad so I took it easy gradually increasing throttle until I was able to give it a few WOT runs with acceptable knock readings. I put half a bottle of Sea Foam in the Mazda every oil change due to the DI carbon issues and I never have any issues like I did with the G8.