PDA

View Full Version : Lonnie pump electrical

wreckwriter
01-22-2011, 11:08 AM
There's 2 'battery terminal' connectors on the harness. Appears they attach in the engine compartment somewhere? Where are they supposed to go?

wreckwriter
01-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Come on guys, someone has a good idea for this? The Racetronics harness is not G8 specific; its set up for a front battery car. I need to either find proper positive and negative "battery" hookups in the engine compartment or cut up this nice harness. Lonnie says 'battery or alternator post'. Those don't work well for me. 2 possible options come to mind:

1- Hook it to positive and negative jumper terminals (requires minor harness tweaking)
2- positive to big red cable at engine fuse box, negative to? Engine ground maybe?

Is there really any difference in negative battery terminal and a solid chassis ground?

wreckwriter
01-24-2011, 06:51 PM
OK, Lonnie says chassis ground OK. All I gotta do now is decide which side to hook to. Guess I'm good.

STL_G8GT
01-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Rob... have you thought about getting an 8ga amp kit and running a dedicated power wire? The last thing you want/need, is a fused line set up by the factory drawing too much amperage and killing your pumps at WOT. I personally would have lonnie tell me what maximum pump amperage draw is, and run a dedicated line. Are the pumps themselves fused at all? If not, I would figure out maximim amperage draw and then fuse it ten amps above that... remember the fuse that will be closer to the battery is for protecting the power wire from a direct short, not the equipment. If they ARE fused, just add 10amps and fuse it at the battery at that amount. (Pumps pull/fused at 20amps, put 30amp fuse near battery)

STL_G8GT
01-25-2011, 09:48 AM
And no, no difference between battery terminal ground and chassis ground... just make sure you grind away any paint and use a star/lock washer to ensure its not going anywhere.

MaxPower
01-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Waiting for a good FULL write-up on the install from someone... *cough* *cough* :)

I'd like to go this route eventually, and want to see what's involved.

wreckwriter
01-25-2011, 10:47 AM
I'll write it up when I'm done. Its pretty involved but not terribly difficult.

Darkmanx
01-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Lonnie doesn't want anyone copying is awesome design :/ so he tells his customer don't take pics or do write UPS

Tempest2000
01-25-2011, 10:57 AM
An install write up has nothing to do with how the internals of the pump were modified. I can't see where he would care if someone gave a step by step install on a specific car.

wreckwriter
01-25-2011, 10:58 AM
An install write up has nothing to do with how the internals of the pump were modified. I can't see where he would care if someone gave a step by step install on a specific car.

Correct, he didn't say anything to me about not doing so.

Darkmanx
01-25-2011, 11:11 AM
He good me 2 days ago on ls1tech that he doesn't want any pics taken but its yours so you can do what u want right ?

wreckwriter
01-25-2011, 11:16 AM
He good me 2 days ago on ls1tech that he doesn't want any pics taken but its yours so you can do what u want right ?

He asks no pictures of the pump and I will honor that request. An install write up is not the same thing and in no way risks his proprietary stuff.

Ktlplxm
02-08-2011, 05:31 AM

The purchaser buys a product, not the rights to the product. He doesnt mind install pics. He doesnt want pics of the pump itself taken. Completely legitimate request. Anyone who does otherwise is a POS douche. Thankfully Wreck, like Nate, Brandon, and others who have purchased the kit, is a man of his word.

Steve GT
02-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Stupid that you can't take pictures. If the design is that good he should get a patent to protect his work. Sounds like it is probably easy to duplicate if he requests no pictures of it period.

Ktlplxm
02-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Stupid that you can't take pictures. If the design is that good he should get a patent to protect his work. Sounds like it is probably easy to duplicate if he requests no pictures of it period.

and if someone wants a product they shouldnt have a problem paying for it. the only reason anyone would want a pic is because they are either too cheap to buy it themselves or they think they are smart enough to duplicate it. Most products ARE easy to replicate but thats how businesses make money. Ripping off a design or an idea, theft is theft.
Patents are only good for protecting companies from other compaines. They're useless against individuals. Seriously, it isn't a hard to accept request.

G8GT721
02-08-2011, 02:16 PM
I agree with ktx and others, your buying a product not his r&d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wreckwriter
02-08-2011, 02:38 PM

You 'can'; he just asks that we don't. I chose to abide by his wishes.

Steve GT
02-08-2011, 04:34 PM
and if someone wants a product they shouldnt have a problem paying for it. the only reason anyone would want a pic is because they are either too cheap to buy it themselves or they think they are smart enough to duplicate it. Most products ARE easy to replicate but thats how businesses make money. Ripping off a design or an idea, theft is theft.
Patents are only good for protecting companies from other compaines. They're useless against individuals. Seriously, it isn't a hard to accept request.

I don't have a problem with buying what I feel is the "best" for my car but when you make something super secret it obviously makes people curious. I enjoy seeing how things work and I take pictures of all my mods before I install them to keep a record of what goes into my car. I also expect to see pictures of something before sending $1500 over to someone as I want to know exactly what I'm buying.

Ktlplxm
02-09-2011, 01:25 PM
I don't have a problem with buying what I feel is the "best" for my car but when you make something super secret it obviously makes people curious. I enjoy seeing how things work and I take pictures of all my mods before I install them to keep a record of what goes into my car. I also expect to see pictures of something before sending $1500 over to someone as I want to know exactly what I'm buying.

Thankfully, since it falls $700 short of $1500, people won't have to worry about that. If people want to see basic examples, they can go to the website and it shows a few shots of dual pump assemblies. On the line kit, it looks like every other kit. I can understand curiosity, but people also have to look at it from the builder's business point of view:
4 other companies have tried to perfect the design with the same consistent results and failed. He has designed a tried and true system, and as such, he should be the only one to prosper from it. I'm not doubting that some people are just genuinely curious about what it looks like, but those are far outnumbered by the ones who would use the pics to rip it off and try to produce their own version of it.
I personally did all of the prototype testing of the various configurations of this pump to get it where it is. I'm aware of all the time and money in the R&D process. There are lots of little things that, without accurate pictures, will take would-be copiers weeks worth of hours to get "just right".
Thankfully there are now enough of these kits in various G8's across the country with wonderful results. The reputation of the performance of these kits is selling them quite well. Any one of us can answer just about any question or concern revolving around the assemblies; we just don't share pictures of it.

If anyone wants to see what one looks like before purchasing, I'm willing to let them take a look at mine :-)

Darkmanx
02-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Thankfully, since it falls $700 short of $1500, people won't have to worry about that. If people want to see basic examples, they can go to the website and it shows a few shots of dual pump assemblies. On the line kit, it looks like every other kit. I can understand curiosity, but people also have to look at it from the builder's business point of view:
4 other companies have tried to perfect the design with the same consistent results and failed. He has designed a tried and true system, and as such, he should be the only one to prosper from it. I'm not doubting that some people are just genuinely curious about what it looks like, but those are far outnumbered by the ones who would use the pics to rip it off and try to produce their own version of it.
I personally did all of the prototype testing of the various configurations of this pump to get it where it is. I'm aware of all the time and money in the R&D process. There are lots of little things that, without accurate pictures, will take would-be copiers weeks worth of hours to get "just right".
Thankfully there are now enough of these kits in various G8's across the country with wonderful results. The reputation of the performance of these kits is selling them quite well. Any one of us can answer just about any question or concern revolving around the assemblies; we just don't share pictures of it.

If anyone wants to see what one looks like before purchasing, I'm willing to let them take a look at mine :-)

the kit is 1500 not 800 it says right there additional lines and fitting required which adds u to about 1300 plus shipping and what 4 companies tryeD? and how did they fail?

Ktlplxm
02-09-2011, 01:48 PM
the kit is 1500 not 800 it says right there additional lines and fitting required which adds u to about 1300 plus shipping and what 4 companies tryeD? and how did they fail?

People are talking about the fuel pump module. No one cares about pictures of the line kits, nor does one have to buy the line kit. The purchasers can buy the pumps or the pumps & lines. Pictures of the line kit are on the website for those interested. Plenty of customers build their own line kits from different suppliers or with different materials. As a matter of fact, the author of this very thread is one of the customers that decided to build the lines himself and purchased just the pump assembly. If you'd like to find the companies that tried and failed there is a search function on each of the G8 sites. Anyone, with the time on their hands, should be able to find the ones that informed people of their intention to develop a kit. After contacting those companies, people will find that the projects were scrapped for various reasons, but all of those reasons lead to the same conclusion; failure to produce a viable or marketable product. I'm not going to call them out on an open forum. When people do that it quickly turns into bad publicity for those companies regardless of what is actually stated.

Darkmanx
02-09-2011, 02:10 PM
ok whatever. anyways wrek how is that pie ban holding up after being sat on?

G8GT721
02-09-2011, 02:31 PM
^^his is strip only no seats, I think he said you'll have to something similar to norm if you DD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wreckwriter
02-09-2011, 02:37 PM
It doesn't get sat on but would hold up fine if it did.

ok whatever. anyways wrek how is that pie ban holding up after being sat on?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Darkmanx
02-09-2011, 04:00 PM
yeah i need a fix too since i no panel either.

wreckwriter
02-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Huh?

yeah i need a fix too since i no panel either.

Darkmanx
02-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Huh?

Sorry about that this auto correct is killing me. I have a access hole cut out as well so I need a fix because I use my rear seats

wreckwriter
02-09-2011, 05:59 PM
heh, auto-correct can be rough.

The pie pan probably sticks up too high to go under a seat. Probably have to get a round piece of sheet metal and just bang a dent in it.

GeorgeInNePa
02-10-2011, 07:14 AM

He asks no pictures of the pump and I will honor that request. An install write up is not the same thing and in no way risks his proprietary stuff.

I've never understood stuff like this.

What's to stop a competitor from buying a kit and then copying it?

silver6.0L
02-10-2011, 07:21 AM
The pie pan probably sticks up too high to go under a seat. Probably have to get a round piece of sheet metal and just bang a dent in it.

A small pizza pan might work.

Devilish34
02-10-2011, 07:25 AM
I've never understood stuff like this.

What's to stop a competitor from buying a kit and then copying it?

$800

GeorgeInNePa
02-10-2011, 07:51 AM
$800

Not much of a barrier.

Steve GT
02-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Not much of a barrier.

Agree, $800 is nothing for a business with poor intentions that is willing to rip a design off. That's why he should protect his work and design in a better way than simply saying "no pictures!". I'd honestly like to see it to see if it looks professional or if it is a bunch of zip ties and bailing wire holding it all together, haha. The pictures of the harness and other parts look very professional so I'm sure the pump assembly looks nice, but in the end buying something for $1500, $800, or even $100 doesn't sit well with me if I have no idea what is going to arrive in the mail.

wreckwriter
02-10-2011, 11:23 AM
No baling wire, I promise. Its a very nice system.

Tempest2000
02-10-2011, 04:41 PM
I've designed and sold several electronic items for the past 10 years or so. Bottom line is patents are really useless in small business. A person can change a few small things and call it their own. Patents are only successful if you have the deep pockets to defend them. With that said, a patent won't stop a guy that tinkers in his garage from dismantling your product, duplicating it, and selling it for cheaper under the table.

I will say that electronics are a little easier to keep the avg. joe from copying just by removing serial, part numbers, etc. You can still reverse engineer the product given enough time and testing.