PDA

View Full Version : $45,100 GXP sold at B-J

kevinm0131
01-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Wow,
Maybe I should have consigned mine. It was a former pace car, but, the only mod I can see is a either different roof antennae or maybe the stick is missing. No lights, roll bars, radios, etc that I can see.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=405.4&aid=403&pop=1

an '08 pace car with all the lights, etc only brought $22,500

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=405.3&aid=403&pop=1

These prices include the buyers premium which I think is 10%.

laserred
01-20-2011, 01:52 PM
The antenna is in the cupholder in the third picture!

Seattle09GT
01-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Wow. WOW. NO sunroof even. 12% APPRECIATION in value, and used as a pace car - not a pristine sitting in a sealed chamber never used car.

Oh, and the '08 Pace Car is salvage title, so it got a damn amazing price too.

Frackin' great pricing. Memo to self - B-J consignment when/if I go to get rid of the G8. I'm going to make out better.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-20-2011, 02:26 PM
These are special use vehicles that have very few miles so they are like new. There's no way you'll get that kind of money for your daily drivers.

Seattle09GT
01-20-2011, 02:38 PM
These are special use vehicles that have very few miles so they are like new. There's no way you'll get that kind of money for your daily drivers.

Scorpio in Hawaii with his climate controlled store, 800 mile on the clock GXP would sure as Hell get $45K on his. He should look into it if it hasn't sold.

Further as I noted, the 2008 model is SALVAGE TITLE, so that is hardly a gently used, well babied, low miles example that a daily driver can't command.

You're always so negative on the issue of resale value/value of the G8. They are holding up vastly better than what 99% of people thought they would. I've had more than one conversation with people who think they get a G8 for a 50% discount because well gee, Pontiac doesn't exist anymore, and then learn that a gently used unmodified '09 G8 GT can run north of $25K if its sitting on a dealer's lot. That car might have stickered for $31K in September of 2008. That is good clinging to value for any car.

My G8 is not my retirement plan, but I have no doubts given what they get at auction, the premium for even salvage title rolling stock, and the fact that they are getting wrecked or modified out of street legal service at an alarming rate, that this will be a future collectible, the GXP is already a given, the GT is very likely. Just like ocean from property, they don't make 'em no more and they have serious cache as being one of the best, if not best car Holden, errr Pontiac ever built.

There is always going to be a sweet spot in a select group of people's hearts for these cars - and it is those people in a couple of decades that will be ready to throw down to own what they couldn't before - whether that be due to age, lifestyle needs, income issues, or other issues.

I think the GXP Solstice Coupe will enjoy the same stature.

I bought my G8 GT because I felt it would be one of the last time in my life that I would be able to buy a stand out, 4-door, RWD, tire roasting, fire breathing V8 under the hood, sedan that makes 13 year olds stop and stare, makes gray haired old men think of nostalgic days, and makes the more pragmatic ask dumb ask questions like, "don't you care about the price of gas."

When the new CAFE standards kick in at full force in a few more years the market for cars like the G8, Charger, and the big Chrysler 300 will shrink faster than a guy jumping into 45 degree water. Hell, the future Commodore is probably going to be FWD. It is the end of glorious era. In 2008 we were just entering another 1964 grade horsepower war. It was the oil embargo of 1972 that brought that to a crashing end - it is geopolitical reasons and shrinking usable supply compared to global demand killing the ongoing horsepower war today.

It is these reasons that the G8 will stand out as a fan favorite at Coffee and Cars decades from now.

JPEGXP
01-20-2011, 03:34 PM
I can't pull the invoice of the GXP, but I can view some of the service records on it. It was PDI on 11/21/08 which seems like it would be one of the first. There is also one open recall on it.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-20-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic. My car is worth more than I paid for it used, so I do know that our cars are retaining their value. The 08 went for lower than what my car is valued at plus it's a pace car, so that price wasn't that great. I know quite a few people that have Grand Prix pace cars, and they are always worth more than a daily driver if they are in good condition.

Seattle09GT
01-20-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic. My car is worth more than I paid for it used, so I do know that our cars are retaining their value. The 08 went for lower than what my car is valued at plus it's a pace car, so that price wasn't that great. I know quite a few people that have Grand Prix pace cars, and they are always worth more than a daily driver if they are in good condition.

It was a pace car for student drivers doing hot laps. It wasn't a pace car in the sense of it was "THE" car for Daytona or the Indy 500. That is why it doesn't have safety equipment, light bars, strobes, or the wires, holes, and dead switches that accompany pace cars converted back to street use. It also is not sold conditionally "as-is" because it was modified for non-street use - as the other G8 GT was. It is as much as being a "pace car" as any number of members who have gone on lapping days with their G8.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Evidently it appealed to someone who had a fat checkbook. It's possible you might find a buyer like that too, but it's pretty unlikely. Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay you for it, even though you might think it's worth more to you.

laserred
01-20-2011, 07:21 PM
I thought this thread was about crazy prices at Barrett-Jackson, not DR's personal urinal for pissing on everyone else? Where's Rich-In-Texas when you need him?

h34d
01-20-2011, 07:42 PM
I thought this thread was about crazy prices at Barrett-Jackson, not DR's personal urinal for pissing on everyone else? Where's Rich-In-Texas when you need him?

:clap:

travis gore
01-21-2011, 03:37 AM
I thought this thread was about crazy prices at Barrett-Jackson, not DR's personal urinal for pissing on everyone else?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/meanmike2/2519.jpg

-Ray-
01-21-2011, 03:51 AM

I hope you not inferring the moderators aren't doing their job here. I read through this thread and don't see anything wrong except maybe some people are being a little too sensitive.

BlueJacket
01-21-2011, 06:34 AM
IMO the GXP was over priced and the GT was a little under priced. Auction price never equals retail price. The G8 has for sure retained its value better then other GM cars but some seem to over value the GXP. In a retail setting no one is getting more then sticker for a used one no matter how nice it is unless you come across someone with more money then brains.

Shredmo
01-21-2011, 07:05 AM
^The non-GXP looks as if it is a V6.

black magic
01-21-2011, 07:13 AM
I do think that it is a good sign that the "collectors" are seeing value or a future collectible with our cars. Even if a car is discontinued, it doesn't automatically become collectible... Aztek? I know that we as enthusiast feel that our cars are special, but when I see things like this as well as how well the G8's are holding the value in average retail, I think that the future looks good for our cars. Obviously the GXP's will and should be worth more, but I feel that clean GT's will continue to depriciate at a slower than normal rate.

TomPierce
01-21-2011, 07:20 AM

Normally, I would be one of the last people to spring to DR's defense, but in this case, the only thing he has done is express an opinion.

One of the worst things about BJ is that they have adversely affected the car market, since now everyone with a clapped out 64 Chevy rusting away in the barn thinks it is worth thousands more than what is actually is worth. And that drives up the proces for everyone.

Since I don't plan on selling mine until the wheels fall off, it really doesn't matter to me ( except to say that I am right-side-up on the loan by about $10K :) )

scorpio ps
01-21-2011, 08:59 AM
How does one know that there was real money on these cars at BJ. Lots of funny bidness going on. Remember no reserve, you take a huge chance. Sometimes the owners bid on their own cars for many reasons. I know of many people that have had their car sold at one auction or another only to find out that that either the house bid the car up or the guy drinking changed his mind about completing the deal. Its both buyers and sellers beware. JM2cents.

scorpio ps
01-21-2011, 09:07 AM
"Scorpio in Hawaii with his climate controlled store, 800 mile on the clock GXP would sure as Hell get $45K on his. He should look into it if it hasn't sold".

Its a good thing that I don't have to sell cause it still has not sold. Lol...
I wished we had the roads here where the car would be enjoyed or even a drag strip. I have not advertised it locally for that reason. It doesn't get out much so its not seen. Actually the Honolulu Police Dept drive their own subsidized cars and this would be a perfect car for them.

christiancoach
01-21-2011, 10:45 AM
BJ prices are inflated. Just ask the guy who bought the much touted drag car, if memory serves me it was an old funny car, for like $1.4 million. The crowd went crazy and there was a bidding frenzy. A year later it was sent back to auction and sold for like $240,000.
I can't believe what people at BJ are willing to pay for some of the stuff that crosses the block. Of course there are also those cars that obviously have a $150,000 invested in the restoration or resto mod, and that sell for $60,000. Ouch!

Makes me wonder what my car would go through BJ for.

laserred
01-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Not at all, Ray. Much to the contrary, all I was saying is that DR was making this into a personal attack, and he needed some heavy-handed "correction" by the powers that be. R-I-T simply came to mind as the most over-the-top answer, kinda like a $45,000 Pontiac. No offense implied :)

TonyKarter
01-21-2011, 11:43 AM
I lived in the late 60's -early 70's. You might say that I have a little more insight as to what has transpired since then, cause I lived it, and what the most likely scenario will be be in the future. Had a Mr. Norm Special Demon340 that I wish I hadn't sold. Had a '55 4-door Chevy, mint from my Grandpa with just 52,000 on it...I saw one just like it go for over $70,000 at BJ two years ago. I've lived the thirty years that ya'll are about to live and we didn't know back then that they would appreciate so drastically. So, thirty years from now there's not going to be a demand for thirty year old rear drive V8's? The most powerful one that Pontiac ever produced? The one that can handle as well and outrun almost everything domestic in its year and class, all but the CTS-V and the Corvette? Anyone priced a DeSoto or a Tucker lately?

BigV8
01-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Maybe the 06 SSR last production run car could be an indicator, it sold for 1k less then what it cost new. But then there was that 588 mile 02 mach 1 mustang that went for 26k? We don't keep these for investments , just that it will be great to have a car that still is worth more than a Ford or Mopar of the same age haha.

BlueJacket
01-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Not at all, Ray. Much to the contrary, all I was saying is that DR was making this into a personal attack, and he needed some heavy-handed "correction" by the powers that be. R-I-T simply came to mind as the most over-the-top answer, kinda like a $45,000 Pontiac. No offense implied :)

I am having a hard time finding a personal attack posted anywhere in this thread by DR. The only thing posted that comes close to a personal comment is yours saying that DR was "pissing on everyone". Sure Don can be an ass but he was not being one to anyone in this thread and to me it looks like you were the one trying to start something.

Rayvan
01-21-2011, 01:25 PM

That's about half of what a documented original Pontiac GTO Judge sells for.

Seattle09GT
01-21-2011, 01:27 PM
I lived in the late 60's -early 70's. You might say that I have a little more insight as to what has transpired since then, cause I lived it, and what the most likely scenario will be be in the future. Had a Mr. Norm Special Demon340 that I wish I hadn't sold. Had a '55 4-door Chevy, mint from my Grandpa with just 52,000 on it...I saw one just like it go for over $70,000 at BJ two years ago. I've lived the thirty years that ya'll are about to live and we didn't know back then that they would appreciate so drastically. So, thirty years from now there's not going to be a demand for thirty year old rear drive V8's? The most powerful one that Pontiac ever produced? The one that can handle as well and outrun almost everything domestic in its year and class, all but the CTS-V and the Corvette? Anyone priced a DeSoto or a Tucker lately?

That's my thought also. Additionally there just weren't a lot of G8's built period. Add in the fact that they are getting wrapped around phone poles and rolled and otherwise destroyed at a stunning rate (just search eBay once a week for a couple of months, yikes) and I wouldn't be surprised that in 20 years time a clean, moderately used G8 with under 100K on the clock is going to be a very, VERY rare beast.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Here's a low mileage GXP someone has for sale in another forum. It's the perfect opportunity for those that feel they can make money selling it on Barret-Jackson. Note they also have a G8 GT which is less desirable of the two cars from a collectors standpoint. If they thought it would be worth more in the future they would keep the GXP.

2009 g8 gxp
5800 miles - 2nd lowest miles in the country
panther black metallic
black and red 2-tone interior
6-speed automatic
moonroof
replaced junk factory tires with goodyear eagle gt's

car is perfect

$36988

located 30 minutes north of milwaukee, wi.

Call jerry with any questions @ 262-334-3858
please call, not email.

By the way, I really appreciate the comments made by those of you that realize I wasn't attacking anyone, and I was just voicing my opinion about this topic.

Seattle09GT
01-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Here's a low mileage GXP someone has for sale in another forum. It's the perfect opportunity for those that feel they can make money selling it on Barret-Jackson. Note they also have a G8 GT which is less desirable of the two cars from a collectors standpoint. If they thought it would be worth more in the future they would keep the GXP.

2009 g8 gxp
5800 miles - 2nd lowest miles in the country
panther black metallic
black and red 2-tone interior
6-speed automatic
moonroof
replaced junk factory tires with goodyear eagle gt's

car is perfect

$36988

By the way, I really appreciate the comments made by those of you that realize I wasn't attacking anyone, and I was just voicing my opinion about this topic.

Interesting car. But in a way you're kind of making the point for those arguing resale value. This is a private seller selling a used G8 GXP with the automatic, in the most common color. The claim of 5.8K miles being the second lowest miles GXP in the country is baseless - anyone following the for sale section knows of one in Hawaii with less than 1K miles on the clock so that means there isn't ANY other GXP in the country with 1.1K to 5.7K miles on the odometer - that seems highly unlikely (given your position that the B-J car is likely a babied pace car with no miles on it)

What are they asking? $37K

What did it sell for almost two years ago? $40K sticker.

8% depreciation in two model years and got to use the car for 5,800 miles. You won't get that on no stinkin' Honda or Toyota or just about any other new car in almost any other price range in North America.

There is always risk at auction of any product; depends on the crowd and the wallets. Does anyone have B-J examples of G8s that did poorly in sale? My undertanding is clean G8s at the auto auctions, when they appear, are going for north of $25K - that's at dealer auction. May have gotten softer with us entering the winter months and gas prices creeping up.

Seattle09GT
01-21-2011, 04:49 PM
^The non-GXP looks as if it is a V6.

That was my first thought as it has the V6 rims. However it has a quad exahust in the pics and the GT emblem is clearly visible on the left trunk lid. I'm guessing its a V8. Not sure why it has the V6 rims - although I prefer them over the base GT rims.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2011, 04:58 PM
I already said that our cars are holding their value at the retail end. I posted that car in regards to selling it for some overpriced auction price.

Sometimes I think you guys don't always thoroughly read what's posted. Geez!

JPEGXP
01-22-2011, 08:56 AM
There are tons of people out there who own rare cars and don't ever realize it. BTW is my GXP now one of the lowest miles in the country with 6500 miles? lol. Essentially the resale value on our cars is good, I'm sure everyone is happy about that.

Seattle09GT
01-22-2011, 12:24 PM
There are tons of people out there who own rare cars and don't ever realize it. BTW is my GXP now one of the lowest miles in the country with 6500 miles? lol. Essentially the resale value on our cars is good, I'm sure everyone is happy about that.

I think you can safely claim third lowest in the country now ;)

JPEGXP
01-24-2011, 07:58 AM
Sweet! 3rd lowest mileage in country and driven exclusively by me! Priced to move > 59,995.00$ lol.

wnt2gofst
01-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Sweet! 3rd lowest mileage in country and driven exclusively by me! Priced to move > 59,995.00$ lol.

If you would have listed it for $59,900.00 it would have been sold. :)

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

JPEGXP
01-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Selling price is firm!
This damn cold weather and snow, I'm really starting to miss driving my cars.

MIEngineer
01-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Drive it and enjoy it.

Mine was a GM show car and I drive the pants off of it.

JPEGXP
01-25-2011, 06:15 AM
The roads are junk by me right now, and this is the reason I have a beater. The GXP is in the garage, and then the vette is covered in front of it. Too much work to jockey the cars just to drive on disgusting roads.

scorpio ps
01-25-2011, 01:13 PM

This whole thing about lowest mile car in the county is getting out of hand. Let's change the subject.
How about "mine's bigger than yours".