PDA

View Full Version : Plastic fuel line connectors- how to remove?

wreckwriter
01-14-2011, 07:35 PM
I've got this tool:

http://www.handsontools.com/Kent-Moore-EN-46843-Release-ToolQuick-Connect-_p_40197.html

but still can't figure out how to get the damn things off. Tool doesn't seem to fit, either one, so I think I'm doing it wrong somehow.........

jeff
01-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Fuel line disconnect tools are of many.I am a tool man and sell many many types with subtle differences.I would be sure that tool includes the G8.

wreckwriter
01-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Fuel line disconnect tools are of many.I am a tool man and sell many many types with subtle differences.I would be sure that tool includes the G8.

Supposedly it does.

Steve GT
01-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Supposedly it does.

They are a pain to use. When I replaced the fuel pump on my truck it took me awhile to get the lines loose with the tool. Once you get the tool in there just right you'll feel it unclip and the line will just slide off.

wreckwriter
01-14-2011, 08:17 PM
You used the tool in my link? Are they separate tools for different size connectors or are they used together somehow? Not much difference in size, blue one is a tad bigger but neither one seems quite big enough. Does the cone side go on first?

Steve GT
01-14-2011, 08:30 PM
The one I used looked like this:

http://www.etoolcart.com/ProductImages/otc/OTC-7361.jpg

hulkss
01-14-2011, 08:56 PM
use KD 3321

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/sjdiscounttools_2139_427710027

TomPierce
01-15-2011, 02:16 AM
Some tools are just not quite long enough to release the fingers that hold the connection together.

Try this: push the connection together without the tool, then insert the tool fully into the connection and see if it will release.

I've had the most success with a black plastic tool from Pep Boys that looks like the KD tool above.

norm8332
01-15-2011, 02:46 AM
You used the tool in my link? Are they separate tools for different size connectors or are they used together somehow? Not much difference in size, blue one is a tad bigger but neither one seems quite big enough. Does the cone side go on first?

That is the tool GM specified in the service manual.

Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service
Tools Required
EN-46843

Removal Procedure
Caution: Refer to Gasoline/Gasoline Vapors Caution in the Preface section.

Caution: Refer to Safety Glasses Caution in the Preface section.

Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief.
Blow dirt out of the fitting using compressed air.

Install the quick connect tool over the quick connect fitting (1).

Pull the connection apart.
Using a clean shop towel, wipe off the male pipe end
Inspect both ends of the fitting for dirt and burrs.
Clean or replace the components as required.

Installation Procedure
Caution: In order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury, before connecting fuel pipe fittings, always apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male pipe ends.
During normal operation, the O-rings located in the female connector will swell and may prevent proper reconnection if not lubricated.
This will ensure proper reconnection and prevent a possible fuel leak.
Apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male pipe end.

Push both sides (1 & 2) of the quick-connect fitting together to cause the retaining tabs/fingers to snap into place.

Pull on both sides of the quick-connect fitting (1) to make sure the connection is secure.
Inspect for leaks using the following procedure:
4.1. Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF for 2 seconds.

4.2. Turn the ignition OFF, for 10 seconds.

4.3. Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF for 2 seconds.

4.4. Turn the ignition OFF.

4.5. Inspect for leaks.

wreckwriter
01-15-2011, 07:10 AM
The one I used looked like this:

http://www.etoolcart.com/ProductImages/otc/OTC-7361.jpg

These are for a different kind of connector, like the one from firewall to rail.

wreckwriter
01-15-2011, 07:11 AM
use KD 3321

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/sjdiscounttools_2139_427710027

So is this.

wreckwriter
01-15-2011, 07:12 AM
That is the tool GM specified in the service manual.

Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service
Tools Required
EN-46843

Removal Procedure
Caution: Refer to Gasoline/Gasoline Vapors Caution in the Preface section.

Caution: Refer to Safety Glasses Caution in the Preface section.

Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief.
Blow dirt out of the fitting using compressed air.

Install the quick connect tool over the quick connect fitting (1).

Pull the connection apart.
Using a clean shop towel, wipe off the male pipe end
Inspect both ends of the fitting for dirt and burrs.
Clean or replace the components as required.

Installation Procedure
Caution: In order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury, before connecting fuel pipe fittings, always apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male pipe ends.
During normal operation, the O-rings located in the female connector will swell and may prevent proper reconnection if not lubricated.
This will ensure proper reconnection and prevent a possible fuel leak.
Apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male pipe end.

Push both sides (1 & 2) of the quick-connect fitting together to cause the retaining tabs/fingers to snap into place.

Pull on both sides of the quick-connect fitting (1) to make sure the connection is secure.
Inspect for leaks using the following procedure:
4.1. Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF for 2 seconds.

4.2. Turn the ignition OFF, for 10 seconds.

4.3. Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF for 2 seconds.

4.4. Turn the ignition OFF.

4.5. Inspect for leaks.

Yea, only issue being that the tool doesn't seem to fit :/

WickedMom
01-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Haha! Your tool is too big :)

Sent from my amazing and awesome iPhone4

hulkss
01-15-2011, 09:52 AM
So is this.

When I removed my GT intake manifold the KD tool worked.

wreckwriter
01-15-2011, 10:14 AM
When I removed my GT intake manifold the KD tool worked.

As it will on that end. I'm at the tank end, different fittings. In any case, I got them off.

atikovi
10-23-2018, 04:16 PM
As it will on that end. I'm at the tank end, different fittings. In any case, I got them off.

Which one worked, the red or blue? Or did you use something else?

tchr49
10-24-2018, 02:03 AM
Don’t buy the cheap ones from Advance, they’re crap

J Wikoff
11-03-2018, 01:29 PM
How the frick do you get the fuel line off to take the pump out? There is not enough room to get a fuel line disconnect tool in there.

-Ray-
11-03-2018, 04:15 PM
Push, squeeze the tabs and pull. You may need to twist.

J Wikoff
11-03-2018, 05:07 PM
I tried everything I could think of with the tabs. Broke them off after trying to pull at them with picks. Tried using the picks from underneath, like a normal disconnect tool would work if there was room for it, and broke the nipple off the effin bucket. Too bad I only ordered the level sensor beforehand. Looks like I'm waiting till Tuesday for a whole new sender/pump unit.

-Ray-
11-03-2018, 05:17 PM
If I remember correctly, Pete had trouble with his too.

J Wikoff
11-03-2018, 05:50 PM
I'm trying to decide now. I was able to get the nipple piece out of the connector now that I had the room to use the disconnect tool. So it seems like it will still hold fine. But if it ever had to come back off in the future, do I stand a chance of ever getting it off with the tabs broken off. What can I use to repair it with?

http://i66.tinypic.com/2e1dvfp.jpg

STL_G8GT
11-05-2018, 09:56 AM
Maybe just replace the line section?

Mine was a reeeeal pain.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

J Wikoff
11-07-2018, 12:52 PM
I've ordered the tool mentioned above (en46843), just so I'll have it in the future. But I don't think it will work on the connector with the tabs broken off. So I also got the Dorman repair kit below and a compression union. The Dorman repair fitting has a clip that is easy enough to remove without special tools. I've tested it with success on the broken nipple/post.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CIR1O8?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

STL_G8GT
11-08-2018, 06:56 AM
I've ordered the tool mentioned above (en46843), just so I'll have it in the future. But I don't think it will work on the connector with the tabs broken off. So I also got the Dorman repair kit below and a compression union. The Dorman repair fitting has a clip that is easy enough to remove without special tools. I've tested it with success on the broken nipple/post.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CIR1O8?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_titleThat's pretty slick. Some sort of clamps needed for the brass double barb?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

J Wikoff
11-08-2018, 10:15 AM
If I used the barb, I'd heat it and put a hose clamp or zip tie on it, though neither was supplied. I'm going to use a compression union instead. I think they are more secure, and easier to uncouple if needed.