PDA

View Full Version : Fuel lines- hard line to AN?

wreckwriter
01-03-2011, 06:44 AM
Considering making the under-car part of my fuel system with aluminum hard lines going to AN in the tank and engine areas. Anyone tried the adapters they make that adapt hard line to AN without flaring? I can flare but would rather not buy tool.

Thanks!

GRRRR8
01-03-2011, 07:05 AM
I am using the 3/8 Earl's compression fitting on mine if that what you are talking about.

wreckwriter
01-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Yea, or whatever brand. They work ok and require no flare?

GRRRR8
01-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Mine didn't. Waiting on a couple things so I can pressurize, but I am confident it is OK.

wreckwriter
01-03-2011, 10:00 AM
OK, thanks. Where did you use metal, along the frame rail under car?

GRRRR8
01-03-2011, 10:02 AM
I had to cut back the factory fuel line as it was at a bad angle so I used a compression fitting after I cut it. The fitting has a -6AN on it.

wreckwriter
01-03-2011, 10:08 AM
I had to cut back the factory fuel line as it was at a bad angle so I used a compression fitting after I cut it. The fitting has a -6AN on it.

Gotcha. Using factory line for feed or return? I'm still thinking about using at least part of it for return.

Daniel Linnett
01-03-2011, 11:35 AM
I am using stock feed line and have a -6 return line to top of the tank.

wreckwriter
01-03-2011, 11:43 AM
I want to use -8 for feed. Might use stock feed as return though, depending on how hard to adapt at the tank end.

gr8lover
01-03-2011, 06:25 PM
I want to use -8 for feed. Might use stock feed as return though, depending on how hard to adapt at the tank end.

+1.... Need to use the -8 for feed.... with what your planning a -6 isnt big enough to be safe... I wanted to do the stock line at return but it just a couple extra connection that I didnt want to have....

wreckwriter
01-03-2011, 06:35 PM
I wanted to do the stock line at return but it just a couple extra connection that I didnt want to have....

Expand on this a bit please. I haven't got mine apart yet (Lonnie says 2 weeks) so not sure where/how everything connects.... My plan was to find the point where stock line goes upwards to tank, either cut it there or remove plastic lines depending how its set up, and run -6 up to top of tank for return. Is that going to work?

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Considering making the under-car part of my fuel system with aluminum hard lines going to AN in the tank and engine areas. Anyone tried the adapters they make that adapt hard line to AN without flaring? I can flare but would rather not buy tool.

Thanks!

You can rent the flaring tools from Autozone for free or buy them for $20 or so. If you plan to use alum for the lines then they will be super easy to form a proper flare on them. Once you move on up to stainless steel stuff then you need a much more special flaring tool that costs about $100. I had to get the more expensive tool when I started building direct port nitrous systems for the local fella's and it was well worth the money. If you really want to use compression fittings then that is fine but I didn't want you to rule out flaring your lines for any fear of complexity or extra money needed.

gr8lover
01-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Expand on this a bit please. I haven't got mine apart yet (Lonnie says 2 weeks) so not sure where/how everything connects.... My plan was to find the point where stock line goes upwards to tank, either cut it there or remove plastic lines depending how its set up, and run -6 up to top of tank for return. Is that going to work?

You can use the stock line for return but then you will have a hose from the stock line to the tank fitting..... by using a full -6 line from the engine bay all the way straight back to the tank... no extra connections... I just didnt want those two extra connection points.... but I am sure it would be ok and many would feel comfortable with it... I will have pics in a couple days of my full setup..... for sure I will have it all connected and finished within two weeks.... (just working way too much and time is non-existent.... :))

wreckwriter
01-04-2011, 06:11 AM
You can rent the flaring tools from Autozone for free or buy them for $20 or so. If you plan to use alum for the lines then they will be super easy to form a proper flare on them. Once you move on up to stainless steel stuff then you need a much more special flaring tool that costs about $100. I had to get the more expensive tool when I started building direct port nitrous systems for the local fella's and it was well worth the money. If you really want to use compression fittings then that is fine but I didn't want you to rule out flaring your lines for any fear of complexity or extra money needed.

Yea, I'm familiar with flaring from way back. Problem with rental tools is most are 45 degree where AN is 37. Will it work? Yea probably but it's a bit iffy.

wreckwriter
01-04-2011, 06:12 AM
You can use the stock line for return but then you will have a hose from the stock line to the tank fitting..... by using a full -6 line from the engine bay all the way straight back to the tank... no extra connections... I just didnt want those two extra connection points.... but I am sure it would be ok and many would feel comfortable with it... I will have pics in a couple days of my full setup..... for sure I will have it all connected and finished within two weeks.... (just working way too much and time is non-existent.... :))

I have no problem with an extra piece of hose. Trick is where does the metal line go to plastic? Is there room to get to the connection without dropping tank? If so I'll probably use it; if no I'll go braided all the way.

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Yea, I'm familiar with flaring from way back. Problem with rental tools is most are 45 degree where AN is 37. Will it work? Yea probably but it's a bit iffy.

Allot are but you can find the right AN ones if you look around. Usually places like Napa have em if a local place would have them. I got mine from a specialty race shop but it is also more of an industrial grade versus end user oriented. Either way flaring or compression will work.