PDA

View Full Version : Kook's axle backs and J-pipes

coops09gxp
01-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Happy New Year to everyone!!!

I was wondering if anybody has put j-pipes on the Kook's axle backs? I have a full Kook's system and love it, just want to get rid of some of the drone. If you have pics that would be a very nice bonus. Thinking very seriously about adding j-pipes just not sure where the best place to add them on would be and if it would make much difference with the Kook's system. One other question regarding this subject. Is there a specific size of pipe I should use for this? Thanks for any help, guidence, or info that you can provide. Have a great day! Tony

hayabusa160
01-02-2011, 07:58 PM
i plan to put j pipes on mine also. i got 2 j bends from dynomax 2.5 inches. in stainless.
i might wait untill spring to have them put on.

coops09gxp
01-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Cool deal! If you decided to do it before spring please keep me in mind and post up some pics of your finished product. Has no one else tried this? I have read that to get rid of the drone you need the chamber to be roughly 30 inches long. Is this the total length of the tube including the bend or just the length after the bend. I am guessing this is total length. I will probably try and copy how SOLO makes their j-pipes with the addition of the Kook's muffler as far as location on the pipe leading into the muffler and route the j over the muffler itself.

For those with experience with this, can you get to far away or to close to the muffler with the j, or is it all in the length of the chamber that does the magic? Thanks for any help that you may be able to provide. Have a great day!

Tony

1meand
01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I just ordered 2 of the Dynomax #42426 2" j bend. The only thing I would do different is make the ends adjustable like the solos. I still have a little drone around 2000 rpm that I think I would be able to adjust the pipes and get rid of. I don't think it matters where you place the j pipes, the sound will get into them and they will do their job. It looks like it will be easier to put them on the Kooks axle back then it was to put them on the Magnaflows.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac210/1meand2/2009%20G8/DSC01818.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac210/1meand2/2009%20G8/DSC01819.jpg

coops09gxp
01-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Excellent! Thanks for posting the pics. Guess I will have to order some 304 stainless j bends and start mocking this up. I definately plan on doing adjustable ends on mine. You did a nice job on yours. Now to get some time on the TIG welder. Thanks again for you input! Have a great day!

Tony

1meand
01-08-2011, 05:44 AM
Oh and to make sure the js don't hit anything, I installed the axleback then put the j pipes where I wanted them and used painters tape to hold them in place on the muffler.

coops09gxp
01-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Excellent tip using the tape!! That would really suck mocking everything up outside the car and welding it only to find it doesn't fit when you try to install it. That just might bring on a fit of cussing! :) Especially given the price of the Kook's axle backs. Don't wanna ruin that on your first go around! I have toiled with it for a while now. I thought about going back to the SOLO. Really good, quality product and the best sounding exhaust that I have found so far. But in the end the 304 stainless finish of the Kook's system has me staying with it. If SOLO were to come out with a complete 304 stainless system I might be tempted though, HINT, HINT! ;) For me it is one of those things, the 304 will far outlast a 400 series stainless and the finish on my Kook's is damn near show quality out of the box. You pay more initially but reap the benefits in the long run with the Kook's I think.

smtty025
01-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Where did you get the j bends and for how much? It looks like the end of the pipes are blocked off? Do they come that way or did you have to do it yourself? And this maybe a really stupid question but were the j-bend meats up the axleback piping, is that part a open piece of pipe or is that closed off like the other end?

1meand
01-13-2011, 10:37 AM
From Jegs or Summit, I think jegs has them for $21.99 each. The end you can see has a 2" washer welded on and the center filled to close the end off. You will have to do that yourself. I took it someplace and had it all done. I've never welded and I don't have a welder to practice with. The other end is open to the axle back. I would find a way to make the closed off end adjustable (check out the solo j pipes). If you are not going to run in 4 cyl mode, than you don't need to worry about it. I still have a little drone, but it's acceptable (wife approved).