PDA

View Full Version : Hand Held Option Poll

SRG963
12-07-2008, 08:27 AM
What options do you want to see in your hand held tuner? You may choose more than one :)

If you have more suggestions, feel free to post.

wreckwriter
12-07-2008, 08:33 AM
What I would want is ability to adjust parameters within the performance tune. It looks like, assuming the performance tune is decent, that this unit is going to be a great value for those who are not needing full race performance (90% of G8 owners).

As far as AFM on/off, since AFM is both mechanical and electrical, how much difference is there in turning it off in the tune and doing the full hardware removal of it? This question is probably deserving of a separate thread.

GRRRR8
12-07-2008, 09:08 AM
I used SCT on my Mach 1 and was impressed with what you could do. When I changed gears and tires it was nice to be able to adjust for it quickly. The tune is now maxed out, so I will be looking into the latest update or switch to HP Tuners. I will say for those with limited experience handheld tuners are a viable option as long as they DO what they say they can. Most wont push the envelope as far as some of us will and when you go that far you really need control of a larger range of parameters/maps to maximize the combo.

SRG963
12-07-2008, 09:14 AM

I'd like the ability to turn Torque Management on or off for the upshifts. And possibly some level of adjustment on the downshifts, to a degree while remaining safe.

SRG963
12-08-2008, 03:55 AM
Monday Morning :bump:

AusTXGT
12-08-2008, 07:58 AM

More than just the option to turn TM of and on. I think adjusting the percentage of torque management would be good.
The 93 octane tune is a must have. I think the handheld is a great option for those of us that are not racing and don't have the knowledge to use HP tuners.

Robert@KBXPerformance
12-08-2008, 08:48 AM
For purpose of continuity I will post this over here too.

1) On Device datalogging, as well as pass through datalogging. RELIABLE DATALOGGING. Some other makers offer similar stuff to this but the datalogging is buggy at best; even at the dealer level. Do not offer it if it doesn't work right.

2) Analog inputs 0-5volt. For datalogging wideband AFR device, MAP sensor and so on. 2 inputs.

3) Ability for device to hold at least 3 custom tunes in addition to 2 stock tunefiles for different car VIN's (again, similar in some ways to how SCT does it)

4) Ability to Read and Pull DTC's. A small universal GM DTC description lookup database included in the unit would be convenient too, though it is not hard to look the codes up online.

5) Ability to tune multiple vehicles with one unit at the same time. This will have to be some sort of credit based system kind of like what HP Tuners does. The end user will have to go to the dealer to buy the credits to unlock the device itself for tuning another VIN vehicle and then also buy the separate tunefile from the dealer as well. The two stock tunefiles slot mentioned in #3 applies to this. Should be simple enough being that tunefiles for these cars are only about 3.0-3.5 MB.

6) End User adjustable preference features.
(i.e. Rev Limiter Drive, Rev Limiter Neutral, Speed Limiter, Idle Speed Park, Idle Speed Drive, Tire Revs Per Mile, Global Spark Advance 2deg/retard 5deg, Spark Advance 1deg/retard 5deg, AFR Lean/Enrichen @ WOT 5% up or down, Shift Point 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6, Shift Firmness 1-2, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 +/- 25% in 5% increments, Shift firmness settings totally separate for Manumatic mode so that firmness dials in different for manual +/- 25% in 5% increments , Tq Management decrease by % or at least on/off toggle, Electric fans on/off temp, AFM max TP % to engage and toggle on/off.)

Keep in mind that the above mentioned options for on-device adjustability are just items that CAN be allowed to be adjusted by the end user, in the tune on the device according to its basic design and programming. The dealer of course can make the final call as to what they want to include to allow the particular end user to change and how much they can change it when they make the actual tunefile itself and export into the end user file format. That way if the dealer is tuning a total newby they might not enable any global or regular spark advance but only retard option to keep things safe if the fella starts fiddling with options he doesn't know about. Same would go with AFR leaning/enrichening. The setup I mentioned above is pretty much identical to the way SCT does their end-user adjustable features which I have found customers usually like.

7) Base model flash tuning device as well as Advanced model version. Base model just have small LCD screen with basic functions and nothing too fancy. Just bare necessities as mentioned above. The Advanced model should have all that and also include a much larger LCD color screen (think GPS nav size screen). The on-device datalogging have gauges that can show either PID's of your choice and also analog PID's so that you can setup a custom gauge cluster while logging. This is nice for the people who want to see what their AFR's and boost are doing but do not want to permanently install gauges in their car. Think of a mixture between a Diablosport T-1000 and an SCT Livewire. 4 analog inputs so that a person can log Bank 1 and Bank 2 AFR's, MAP sensor and so on all in same log. Advanced version should be windshield mountable.

Remember that the list I mentioned in this post is catered directly towards the manufacturer rather than the dealer. The items such as end-user adjustability are things that may be allowed by the manufacturer to occur on their device but the dealer will have the final call on how much they will allow those parameters to be adjusted when making the tunefile itself. This is more for drivetrain safety reasons and dealer liability than anything else. Such things as powertrain warranty, money back guarantee's, Tunes meant for different octane fuels and so on are dealer specific and would have to be negotiated with the dealer directly.

One thing that the members who post suggestions in here might want to remember is that the more features you ask for the more you will have to pay for the device. Just a suggestion but keep the requests within reason (aka no Turbo Autotune functions or anything like that. hehe). I don't work directly for any of these companies but based upon my custom tuning experience with a few different platforms the above are my suggestions.

This is what I came up with off the top of my head but I am sure I will come up with more as the morning goes on and my brain starts functioning better.

SRG963
12-08-2008, 08:50 AM
For purpose of continuity I will post this over here too.

Thank you :)

todds87ss
12-08-2008, 09:58 AM
I didn't see the ability to read/log knock sensor data in the above. I would like this also. My current handheld does not have this. I would also (having the VMS tune) like the ability to return the tune to original, in my case, store the VMS tune, and return it as necessary. I know that in the past, you could not do this after a custon tune; mabey still not possible?

Robert@KBXPerformance
12-08-2008, 11:34 AM
I didn't see the ability to read/log knock sensor data in the above. I would like this also. My current handheld does not have this. I would also (having the VMS tune) like the ability to return the tune to original, in my case, store the VMS tune, and return it as necessary. I know that in the past, you could not do this after a custon tune; mabey still not possible?

Knock sensor data is part of on-device logging and pass through logging covered in #1. You select whatever PID's you want to log and then log them.

The return to stock tune option is covered in #3. The unit stores the stock tunefile that it pulls from the VCM/TCM when initially hooking up to the car. Then saves that tunefile into one of the mentioned slots. Then loads the aftermarket tune onto the vehicle. You can revert back to stocker tune at any time.

todds87ss
12-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Then I approve! Let's get this thing built!

SRG963
12-08-2008, 12:20 PM
then i approve! Let's get this thing built!

lol

I think we want too much :)

Robert@KBXPerformance
12-08-2008, 01:21 PM
lol

I think we want too much :)

Pretty much all of those options I mentioned are already available by other makers in their flash tuning devices, such as SCT with the X3 and the Livewire for other Ford and GM vehicles. There are a few items that are extra's but nothing really huge or unattainable.

I am not trying to sound like I am talking crap about any manufacturer on here but Superchips has been behind the power curve for quite some time now when it comes to their flash tuning devices having decent and modern features. Honestly I expect someone like SCT or Diablo to offer something more along the lines of what I previously described. Superchips is usually more barebones superbasic end user tuning. Some find that appealing while others do not. All in all it is just a waiting game right now.

SRG963
12-08-2008, 04:42 PM
I am not trying to sound like I am talking crap about any manufacturer on here ...

ROFLMAO, your not trying to sound....:)

I agree with you, but does anyone else have a 2-year powertrain warranty? That may be why this level of adjustment is not available, just guessing here :) I'm not trying to push this tune, let me make that very clear. I'm sure there are better tunes out there for more aggressive personalities. I hope to try them soon!

I would say that the Superchips tune is for the average Joe the Tuner (sorry) who doesn't want to worry about screwing up something, has a warranty, and likes to do fun things like second gear drifts and burnouts for days. Having the tires chirp and then feeling the car thrust you forward as it goes into second is very nice too :D

When/If the 93 tune becomes available (Lets all hope this happens and soon), it will be free to update your Cortex threw the internet.

If you want one, I got a limited time deal :)

Robert@KBXPerformance
12-08-2008, 05:41 PM
ROFLMAO, your not trying to sound....:)

I agree with you, but does anyone else have a 2-year powertrain warranty? That may be why this level of adjustment is not available, just guessing here :)

When I mentioned "decent and modern features" I wasn't just talking about the end-user adjustable settings in the tunefile itself. There was much more to that statement than what related directly to the tuning itself.

I would say that the Superchips tune is for the average Joe the Plumber (sorry) who doesn't want to worry about screwing up something, has a warranty, and likes to do fun things like second gear drifts and burnouts for days. Having the tires chirp and then feeling the car thrust you forward as it goes into second is very nice too :D

Sometimes not having all the extra bells and whistles is a good thing for some users. I cannot disagree with that.

BTW John McCain is coming after you for stealing his Joe the Plumber statement.

SRG963
12-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Edited to Joe the Tuner, much more apprioate LOL

Robert@KBXPerformance
12-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Edited to Joe the Tuner, much more apprioate LOL

But why would Joe the Tuner need someone else to tune their vehicle? I'm confused now...

Sorry, I just had to give ya crap about that.