PDA

View Full Version : Knock,knock,tick,tick

It's A G8!
12-06-2008, 07:48 PM
This may sound funny but as I was out getting some munchies.I was at the drive thru looking at what to get and all of a sudden I hear a knock knock,tick tick,knock tick at the rear of the car. It almost sounded like someone was in my truck knocking . I've heard this before and don't know where it can be coming from. Has anyone hear this in their car? :hang:

R.Penguin
12-06-2008, 07:53 PM
This may sound funny but as I was out getting some munchies.I was at the drive thru looking at what to get and all of a sudden I hear a knock knock,tick tick,knock tick at the rear of the car. It almost sounded like someone was in my truck knocking . I've heard this before and don't know where it can be coming from. Has anyone hear this in their car? :hang:
Feed your trunkmonkey more often.

Mike@NewEra
12-06-2008, 07:55 PM
And you weren't moving? Did the engine rpms change at all, maybe the rpms came down a little low close to stalling and shook the mufflers? I have never heard this before. Did you have someone in your trunk?

It's A G8!
12-06-2008, 08:23 PM
The car is running fine. No weared idle. It was on drive but I had the brakes pressed. No one in the truck because I checked. It really sounds like a knocking. I know how it sounds when the mufflers shake.

Blackrider
12-06-2008, 08:33 PM
I've herd a knocking from the rear od my car to, my best guess is its the EVAP solenoid. My girlfriends G5 also has this issue.

GeorgeInNePa
12-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Feed your trunkmonkey more often.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1rFvR7Bv9Fk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1rFvR7Bv9Fk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mike@NewEra
12-06-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't think that the evap solenoid would be so noticable, but you never know, pay attention to it and see if it happens again and keep us posted.

Blackrider
12-06-2008, 11:57 PM
I don't think that the evap solenoid would be so noticable, but you never know, pay attention to it and see if it happens again and keep us posted.

You wouldn't think but that exactly what it is on the G5 and it sounds identical in the G8. Loudest solenoid I've herd. lol

jbradsh1
12-07-2008, 06:21 AM
I notice the same thing yesterday, for the first time. Haven't heard it since but I'm going to keep my ears alert if it happens again. I thought the same thing, something was in the trunk!

Mike@NewEra
12-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Well, the evap is right under the trunk, so it would make sense.

jnak
12-07-2008, 09:18 AM
I've herd a knocking from the rear od my car to, my best guess is its the EVAP solenoid. My girlfriends G5 also has this issue.

I've heard on the G5s that the sound is a trunk latch check.

GRRRR8
12-07-2008, 09:22 AM
For some reason these EVAP solenoids activities are pronounced when cold. It is the craziest sounds and is most often noticed when in a closed area or when it can echo off a object.

Blackrider
12-07-2008, 10:35 AM
I've heard on the G5s that the sound is a trunk latch check.

everything I've read says its the EVAP.

Cliffy
12-07-2008, 10:40 AM
More than likely the evap solenoid. We hear it all the time of the DTSs at work, literaly sound like someone inside the trunk knocking to get out. We have tryed replacing evap canisters to eliminate the noise, but it just comes back within a few days. "... condition is normal and operating as designed. no repair needed."

It's A G8!
12-07-2008, 11:07 AM

Its not the first time i've heard it,and my wife tells me she hears it all the time.

UGotSmkd
12-07-2008, 11:37 AM

Yes. My car does that about 30 seconds after I shut it off. I believe this is normal. I thought it might be the fuel pump shutting off, but I am not sure.

G8GTlawride
12-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Can they be insulated?

lsp408
12-07-2008, 06:07 PM
my 08 G8GT and 08 impala LS make that noise too

Mach 5
12-07-2008, 06:49 PM
I hear the rapid knock/tick song from time to time as well. Figured it was the ABS calibration or something. Didn't know about the EVAP solenoids. Sounds very purposeful so never worried about it.

MANOFSTEEL69
12-08-2008, 04:25 AM
Easy cure.....Headers and CAI.......Can't hear these little things anymore.... ;)

It's A G8!
12-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Easy cure.....Headers and CAI.......Can't hear these little things anymore.... ;)

Im working on it!

bigtreepu
12-17-2008, 02:50 AM
I could hear my solenoid on my grand prix pretty easily. It always happened at the same amount of time after it had been started...like clockwork. Didn't hear it any other time though.
~Matt