PDA

View Full Version : Good cam article

wreckwriter
12-06-2008, 06:05 AM
The new issue of Chevy High Performance has a big cam article where they talk to the various manufacturers about what's new and what's coming. One of the sections is for Ed Curtis of Flowtech. He talks extensively about the work he's been doing with New Era on G8 cams. Since it's a Chevy rag they focus a bit on application on the new Camaro but most of the section relates to the G8. Well worth a read.

Cliffy
12-06-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks Wreck

MANOFSTEEL69
12-06-2008, 07:27 AM
Cool!

Mike P
12-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Yep, thanks! Some time this weekend I've got to go to Barnes & Noble to pick up the magizine....

R.Penguin
12-06-2008, 01:23 PM
The new issue of Chevy High Performance has a big cam article where they talk to the various manufacturers about what's new and what's coming. One of the sections is for Ed Curtis of Flowtech. He talks extensively about the work he's been doing with New Era on G8 cams. Since it's a Chevy rag they focus a bit on application on the new Camaro but most of the section relates to the G8. Well worth a read.
Was there a link in there? I couldn't Google it up.

wreckwriter
12-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Nope, its not on their site, guess its paper only.

Mike@NewEra
12-06-2008, 01:57 PM
I think their website is backed up a month, the magazine will be the only way to read it first. I was just asked a bunch of questions about this stuff 6 weeks ago, can't believe it made it out on the stands this fast.

R.Penguin
12-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Nope, its not on their site, guess its paper only.
Ah, thank you wreck.

Mike@NewEra
12-06-2008, 03:16 PM
I just read it, not 100% accurate, but is a good read.

MtbDoc
12-06-2008, 06:25 PM
So PLEASE clarify the inaccuracies!

Mike, I am SERIOUS about this. I am SO SICK of the magazines PANDERING to paid advertisers. It turns into an infomercial (as do many of these 'forums') and it is POOR FORM to criticize a PAID SPONSOR (ask me how I know; ask me about being threatened by 'paid sponsors' in the past). Your shop has been COMPLETELY above board, and I would do business with you. NOT the case with some...

Mike@NewEra
12-06-2008, 07:32 PM
My car does not make 400 + rwhp since I did the 3200 rpm stall with the convertor unlocked, it is in the high 380's/low 390's depending on which day you dyno it and that is with the new OTR intake, it was even less with the pod style intake which is what I was running when this ad was done, but with the stock convertor it does make over 400 rwhp. So they inflated the dyno number a little bit or maybe they were just using the stock convertor number? Also, I don't do canned tunes, especially for a car with a cam in it!!! I have assisted customers of mine with giving them a base tune that have HPTuners if they purchased parts from us but that is it. Also, my DOD cam kit does not come with a heavy duty timing chain, but it does come with a better tensioner for failure purposes. I did however test a double roller timing chain, and I had to grind a ridiculous amount of material out of the timing cover for clearance, and being that the stock chain is descent, and this cam is not very aggressive and the springs we are using are only 130psi at the seat closed I decided it wasn't necessary. It also states that the car is 4200 lbs, and a few paragraphs later 4300 lbs. Also, that twin turbo car mentioned at the end did make 1030 rwhp, but we couldn't get any traction with it, so we turned the boost down and made 850 rwhp to run the times mentioned.

It's not a big deal I guess, Ed sent me some of this info and I corrected it but I guess the editor either didn't, or maybe it was already printed. With that said, still a good read, there is so much info with all of the different types of testing we have done with so many different things on this car, unless I was writing the ad myself it is easy to make slight mistakes I guess.

And, I also think it kind of sucks that New Era was mentioned so much in there, yet no contact info for us at the end?

We have never advertised in this magazine by the way, we were in GM High Tech Performance for 4 years and discovered that the print advertising just didn't work for us, we lost a lot of money and will most likely never do magazine ads again due to the expense/return ratio.

wreckwriter
12-07-2008, 05:41 AM
Editors are far from perfect. They have been known to publish something that sounds better instead of reality at times too. I've had this happen to me.

MtbDoc
12-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks much for taking the time to clarify!