PDA

View Full Version : remove a/c?

wreckwriter
12-16-2010, 07:00 PM
What would be involved in doing this? Could I retain the heater?

GRRRR8
12-16-2010, 07:09 PM
You could get the LS a/c delete and it would allow you to scrap everything under the hood. Compressor, lines and the biggie for you would be getting rid of the condensor. That will let the air flow over the radiator improve and probably save you a few degrees in coolant temp.

If you scrap the stuff in the dash.........no more heat.

wreckwriter
12-16-2010, 07:14 PM
You could get the LS a/c delete and it would allow you to scrap everything under the hood. Compressor, lines and the biggie for you would be getting rid of the condensor. That will let the air flow over the radiator improve and probably save you a few degrees in coolant temp.

If you scrap the stuff in the dash.........no more heat.

Where can I get this? Need to keep heat for defroster, gets fuckin cold here.....

wreckwriter
12-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Pull the compressor, condenser, dryer, lines, etc... you can retain heat. Easy on this car since the A/C has a separate belt from the serpentine. Plug the lines that go through the firewall.

Don't think I will follow you down this path... I NEED A/C!

You'll get there eventually :)

Devilish34
12-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Like the rollbar.... Go for it BC I won't lol

GRRRR8
12-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Where can I get this? Need to keep heat for defroster, gets fuckin cold here.....

Once again I must be sleepy! Just take the bolts out of the compressor and remove it. We have a seperate a/c belt so nothing else is required.

wreckwriter
12-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Once again I must be sleepy! Just take the bolts out of the compressor and remove it. We have a seperate a/c belt so nothing else is required.

Wake up Charlie! Gotta be more than that to it. They make neat a/c delete panels but only for older cars.

GeorgeInNePa
12-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Tom, wouldn't it have been easier (and cheaper) to start with an 90s F-body or 80s G-body?

;)

wreckwriter
12-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Tom, wouldn't it have been easier (and cheaper) to start with an 90s F-body or 80s G-body?

;)

Yea, quite a bit. But I am where I am.........

GRRRR8
12-16-2010, 07:28 PM
For old cars there is everything. Since our evaporator case houses the heater core too....not much you can do and maintain all the functions of the box (face/feet/floor). Rain-X has something for anti-fog I used to use on my 70 Nova that had the heater box deleted. Worked well. I always carried paper towels and window cleaner just incase. :)

wreckwriter
12-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally I just wanted a fast street car but after I got restarted racing....... Probably should have sold it and bought a nice drag car but I didn't. Now I'm too far along to sell it in more ways than one. I'm taking her into the 10s, probably way into the 10s.

DarkPhoenix
12-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Doesn't the defroster use the ac?
If I were up north somewhere I might do this, just as long as I didn't drive the car in the rain or when I would need the defroster.

wreckwriter
12-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Doesn't the defroster use the ac?
If I were up north somewhere I might do this, just as long as I didn't drive the car in the rain or when I would need the defroster.

Pretty sure defroster doesn't need a/c just fan and heater. Not completely certain though.

WickedMom
12-17-2010, 09:47 AM
The defroster does turn on the A/c Compressor...
Thats why charlie mentioned the Rain-x for fog & the glass cleaner...

wreckwriter
12-17-2010, 09:54 AM
The defroster does turn on the A/c Compressor...
Thats why charlie mentioned the Rain-x for fog & the glass cleaner...

Shit.

silver6.0L
12-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Would you be able to use parts off a air condition delete work truck to retain heat and defrost?

wreckwriter
12-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Would you be able to use parts off a air condition delete work truck to retain heat and defrost?

I would guess not.

WickedMom
12-17-2010, 11:09 AM
I think the heater would still work, just not the front defroster

wreckwriter
12-17-2010, 11:12 AM

Thats the main thing I need though. Will have to think on it.

Chewy
12-17-2010, 12:04 PM
A/C removes moisture from the air which REALLY REALLY helps with fogged windows. Especially in the humid summers, but for sure in the cooler months. Anytime you hit the front defrost, it automatically turns on the A/C.

Chris

edmanet
12-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Yea, quite a bit. But I am where I am.........

Yeah we are all in that boat !!!!

GeorgeInNePa
12-17-2010, 03:06 PM
It would... but we prefer not to be lemmings!

Yea, uh-huh.

You can have your wife practice dentistry on you with a Dewalt, doesn't make it the best course of action.

wreckwriter
12-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Yeah we are all in that boat !!!!

Sometimes I go to racingjunk.com and look at how much faster I could be going for the money I've spent. On the other hand, I love my G8 and we're still having a great adventure together. If the money doesn't run out she'll be faster than a raped ape next season.

GeorgeInNePa
12-17-2010, 03:10 PM

Thats the main thing I need though. Will have to think on it.

The A/C works with the defroster to dehumidify the cabin air.

Your G8 would just be like 99% of the 60s Muscle Cars in that there would be no A/C, just moving air.

norm8332
12-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Sometimes I go to racingjunk.com and look at how much faster I could be going for the money I've spent. On the other hand, I love my G8 and we're still having a great adventure together. If the money doesn't run out she'll be faster than a raped ape next season.

Keep going man! Can't wait to see it. Good luck.

orangeg8
12-22-2010, 02:10 AM
How much weight will the A/C delete remove? I wouldn't do it, living in LA, I need A/C, haha. Just wondering if just in case 20 years from now, I have better cars, and need the extra HP and less weight.

Struggle
01-05-2011, 10:47 AM
When in defrost mode the A/C compressor runs only for the purpose of moisture in the cabin to be removed to help with keeping the windows clear. It just helps..................but after the temperature drops below a certain temp even though the defrost mode is on the compressor will not run as freon boils below a certain temp and the compressor cannot handle that.

So to answer your question yes you can remove the A/C components back to the firewall and you will be jsut fine. Your defrost mode will still blow hot air and allow your windows to be clear. You will jsut have to be more carefull to not leave it packed full of snow in the floor boards soaking into the carpet to help keep the moisture level lower inside the car.

Lots of people get by just fine with A/C systems that have leaked and the compressor quits operating.

IT would be best to take it to a shop and have them discharge the system so the freon can be reclaimed. THen you will not have to worry about gass blowing in your face and breathing it in. Cap the two lines going to the fire wall, cap the condensor ends and the compressor so that you could reinstall it down the road if you decide.

Now go take it off. You have no worries. You will easily drop I bet close to 40+pounds buy doing this and elimante the drag of the extra belt spinning and idler on the A/C when off.

locrzn#92
01-07-2011, 05:54 AM
Man, I agree with George, F-bodies are so cheap its rediculous. Ya got a nice car, but, its heavy. Good luck whatever you decide, I'd just put the belt for now and see if it makes a difference, these new compressors aren't that heavy if thats what your trying to achieve. F-bodes are also much lighter.

locrzn#92
01-07-2011, 11:37 AM
I would still be racing my vet, but, they are weaker then the g8 as far as drivetrain goes. I had to replace everything on my from the flywheel back and I only had it a year. Now thats one car I wouldn't consider drag racing again. I sold it and now someone else can fix it when they break it. The guy that bought it from me runs it much harder then I did and he has already put another clutch in it and spun a main bearing. Glad its gone and I agree its nice to have something that most people don't. I just like mine enough that I would buy something light and put an lsx motor in it and there are plenty of cars out there that fit the bill. I'm glad wreck is taking on this project, seems like he'll do it right.