PDA

View Full Version : Assembling Teflon fuel lines?

wreckwriter
12-12-2010, 12:44 PM
So, thinking my new fuel system should have PTFE lines. found this site: http://www.anfittingsdirect.com/index.php?osCsid=22fac04b80061692e6f5eac7b752a4e0 Lots of nice line and fittings at decent prices BUT the fitting for PTFE hose are different from those used for rubber hose. How do you put these together?

GRRRR8
12-12-2010, 01:25 PM
They should be similiar to other AN fittings that screw together. I have a set of soft aluminum jaws for my vise I assemble all my lines with.

wreckwriter
12-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Yea, I have those too. I think these are done differently

Crazy Paul
12-12-2010, 02:58 PM
The one thing this guy does, but forgets to mention, is to keep the hose stationary and straight and not sag while tightening up the hex fitting.
You don't want the teflon liner to be nicked by the fitting inside ... as you tighten up the nut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK5kFcP81cE

wreckwriter
12-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Cool, that looks easy enough! Thanks guys!

Crazy Paul
12-12-2010, 05:30 PM
The other thing you'll want to do is put some anti-galling compound on any stainless to stainless threads.
http://www.aeroquip.cc/12poundkopr-kotecopperanti-seizelubricantjetlube.aspx

(I did a week-long Aeroquip course many years ago and it's coming back to me very slowly).
: )

GRRRR8
12-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Very similiar to standard braided lines. Peeling back the braid and the olive is the only difference. Yes, anti-seize is a must.

djchubbs
12-12-2010, 07:02 PM
I sell a product from SUR&R or fuelsender.com they may have something for you.

Ktlplxm
01-04-2011, 06:29 AM
slide the big piece over the end of the line. seperate the braid from the inner liner slide the ferule between the two. insert the "nippled" end into the inner liner/tube. screw the inner and outer pieces together

wreckwriter
01-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Thanks Aden. Looks simple enough :)

wreckwriter
01-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Looks easier than it is. This stuff is much harder to work with than regular braided line. Very stiff and hard as hell to spread the braid.

Crazy Paul
01-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Yeah and just when you start thinking you're a genius for not cutting or stabbing yourself, you'll pick up a piece with a tiny broken braid and the wire goes clean thru your finger.

wreckwriter
01-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Many stabs already, no ends attached yet.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Crazy Paul
01-15-2011, 02:54 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Instructions/teflonhose1.jpg

wreckwriter
01-15-2011, 03:35 PM
I can't work with this shit. I've been at it all day and managed to assemble zero. I'm going to use regular braided hose. I could have put together 100 by now. Screw this shit.

Ktlplxm
01-16-2011, 07:11 AM
dude it isnt that hard. which brand did you get in fittings? one of the biggest mistakes is buying BrandA fittings for use on BrandB lines, or even worse, using inexpensive materials. im not sure who your supplier was but many "online" places seel the cheapest set-up they can find to customers. It honestly shouldnt take you more than 5 minutes per fitting if that. If things arent seeming to fit right chances are the fittings are incorrect. Additionally, what are you using to cut the lines? Nothing short of a pair of heavy duty cable cutters will give you the needed "clean cut"
the above instructions are wrong from step one. you NEVER use a cut off wheel on tfe lines for a clean cut. it will always fray the edges making it close to impossible to slide the ends over the line

wreckwriter
01-16-2011, 07:14 AM
It IS that hard. I tried to save some money and the shit I got is about as flexible as a McDonalds straw. Its just junk.

Ktlplxm
01-16-2011, 07:16 AM
Looking at the anfittings direct website link, those are shitty materials. the line looks like the PTFE lines that require crimp on fittings and a press. Aeroquip is about the only one worth a damn anymore. we see so much inconsistency on the fit of Earls and Russel, we will not even sell it without making the customer sign the order showing we warned him. Sorry youre having such a hard time with it

wreckwriter
01-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Looking at the anfittings direct website link, those are shitty materials. the line looks like the PTFE lines that require crimp on fittings and a press. Aeroquip is about the only one worth a damn anymore. we see so much inconsistency on the fit of Earls and Russel, we will not even sell it without making the customer sign the order showing we warned him. Sorry youre having such a hard time with it

No worries, I'll get it sorted out. Next I gotta figure out how to make a regulator bracket. Trying to have as much ready as I can before pump gets here.

Ktlplxm
01-16-2011, 07:43 AM
Hate to hear they sold u crap. Ill bet its crimp style. That stuff is a PIA and impossible to work with. Its designed for use with a hydraulic press

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

wreckwriter
01-16-2011, 07:46 AM
Its ok, I can send most of it back. I'll get me some regular Aeroquip stuff and have the whole thing plumbed in a few hours.