PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap! 6-Speed GXP for $27.x thousand!!!

SpeedRacerX
12-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I saw this ad on Auto Trader and immediately called the dealer in AL. "Supposedly," this was NOT a typo or bogus ad. They had no idea what they were selling or how rare this is. It sold in 1 hour of the listing yesterday to the first buyer who called from CT.

If this is a true story, it's like the big bass that got away...LOL.

Here is the Auto Trader Car ID so you can find the ad.

AT-11579D8E

Not sure if the URL works but I'll post it also...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=290954638&dealer_id=488936&car_year=2009&doors=&systime=&model=G8&search_lang=en&start_year=2009&keywordsrep=103120112&keywordsfyc=__Z3hw__&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=24000&drive=&rdm=1291772499343&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=gxp&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2009&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=&address=08030&color=&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=60000&awsp=false&make=PONT&seller_type=b&num_records=100&cardist=695&standard=false

jimmytt6
12-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Damn something had to be wrong with it

SpeedRacerX
12-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Dealer said it was in near-perfect condition. Guy said the person who called from CT would not let the dealer get off the phone until the entire transaction was done so he wouldn't lose it. I asked if he had any idea what this car was worth. He said they do now. I asked why they sold it at that price, he said the owner told him to "just put it up for that to draw in some more business." Then he told me that the guy who bought it in CT (car is being shipped in two days) told the dealer that if someone wanted to offer him a nice price for it, he would consider selling it for a quick profit.

Something seems VERY WEIRD about this whole story.

13 QTR
12-07-2010, 07:26 PM
That's where I bought my car. I was there Monday to order my new wiper blade. I saw a black gt sitting there.....not a gxp...... I gotta go pickup my wiper tommorrow....I'll see if it's still there and ask around......

Darkmanx
12-07-2010, 07:32 PM
whats so unusual a used gxp selling for 28k plus tax tag and title.

Slizzo
12-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Where in CT was this buyer?

Slizzo
12-07-2010, 07:33 PM
whats so unusual a used gxp selling for 28k plus tax tag and title.

Usually they're closer to Mid $30s

Darkmanx
12-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Usually they're closer to Mid $30s

thats probally why they take forever to sell. like the ones thats been on ebay for `1 year

MongosG8
12-07-2010, 09:42 PM
I had called about this ad also for a friend of mine looking for a GXP. I had seen this earlier on the Trader.
When I spoke to a sales person they told me that this was a GT ..not a GXP.

Something doesn't add up right because the CarFax indicated a 6.2 ltr LS3 and the VIN also points in that direction.

Maybe one didn't know what the FK the car was in the first place.

13 QTR
12-08-2010, 05:16 AM
If it's still at the dealership.....I will look it over today,when I pickup my wiper blade. I only glanced at it Monday,as I was pulling out.....I thought it was just a GT....

It may be a convert like mine......a LS3 in a Gt........

MANOFSTEEL69
12-08-2010, 05:25 AM
I had called about this ad also for a friend of mine looking for a GXP. I had seen this earlier on the Trader.
When I spoke to a sales person they told me that this was a GT ..not a GXP.

Something doesn't add up right because the CarFax indicated a 6.2 ltr LS3 and the VIN also points in that direction.

Maybe one didn't know what the FK the car was in the first place.

Serves them right! Lol! Congrats to the new owner in CT for scooping it up!

Greg@PacePerformance
12-08-2010, 05:53 AM
It is a GXP I just checked the VIN and it was on my list already

mtolivecracker
12-08-2010, 05:58 AM
thats probally why they take forever to sell. like the ones thats been on ebay for `1 year

dont be hatin on the GXPs. Theyll get there one day. One day when im old and sitting on my couch watchin the MECUM auction, theyll be talkin about how rare is was to have one in stick, and how people were trading in for just over half the sticker price. no one knew!

crossing my fingers that i just predicted the future.

SpeedRacerX
12-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Plus the guy verified for me it was a "stick" so 99.9999999% chance it has to be a GXP.

Darkmanx
12-08-2010, 07:52 AM
dont be hatin on the GXPs. Theyll get there one day. One day when im old and sitting on my couch watchin the MECUM auction, theyll be talkin about how rare is was to have one in stick, and how people were trading in for just over half the sticker price. no one knew!

cross away or plan on passing the pontiac down so your grandson Can trade it in.

texn884
12-08-2010, 07:54 AM
See there is a Santa. He just dropped this gift off early.

r33pwrd
12-08-2010, 08:23 AM

I would not hold your breath... I just dont see any modern production car being a big collectors car in most of our lifes. And if they are they will be like the typoons, yes they sell for decent money but not a lot.

Seattle09GT
12-08-2010, 10:05 AM
cross away or plan on passing the pontiac down so your grandson Can trade it in.

Someone has a case of the Mondays

13 QTR
12-08-2010, 10:21 AM
went by and looked at it......I couldn't find anything wrong with it. No mods....looked like the original tires. The car was dirty..even the engine compartment was as dirty as the outside...so nobody 'put' anything back on. We've had rain lately...so I figure it was last driving in the rain. The inside was kinda dirty...had either cat hair or dog hair....so probably a 35+year old driver.......maybe a old couple..?
They said it wasn't shipping for a couple weeks?....had to line up a lowboy. Just like me.....they didn't see that price being low....it's right where I think the car should be priced.... besides the manual and the brembos....it's nothing compared to my GT.

gibbsjo
12-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Hi guys,

I am a long time lurker and have been looking for a GXP for 10 months that I could get for what I was comfortable spending. Any way I am the one that bought this car paperwork has been signed and it should be on a transporter to CT tomorrow or friday. I am still a little worried that I bought a car without seeing it but once I saw it posted on Sunday night I knew it was worth a shot. Called them first thing monday morning 8:28 they open at 8:30. Talked to the internet sales guy (Chris Browning very stand up guy) and it is true I would not let him hang up the phone with me until my deposit was taken. I am very excited and can't wait to get the car in my drive way. As was posted above car fax is clean and my local dealer pulled the orginal invoice and GM global connect info for me. I bought it with only seeing a few cell phone pictures so I am glad to read that someone from this board checked it out and that it looked good. I NEVER thought I would buy a car sight unseen and I still think I am crazy for doing it. I am an avid modder but have been a mustang guy my whole life, but now I have 2 little kids and need something with 4 doors. Sorry for the ramble. To answer a previous post I live in Beacon Falls, CT

-Jon

mtolivecracker
12-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Hi guys,

I am a long time lurker and have been looking for a GXP for 10 months that I could get for what I was comfortable spending. Any way I am the one that bought this car paperwork has been signed and it should be on a transporter to CT tomorrow or friday. I am still a little worried that I bought a car without seeing it but once I saw it posted on Sunday night I knew it was worth a shot. Called them first thing monday morning 8:28 they open at 8:30. Talked to the internet sales guy (Chris Browning very stand up guy) and it is true I would not let him hang up the phone with me until my deposit was taken. I am very excited and can't wait to get the car in my drive way. As was posted above car fax is clean and my local dealer pulled the orginal invoice and GM global connect info for me. I bought it with only seeing a few cell phone pictures so I am glad to read that someone from this board checked it out and that it looked good. I NEVER thought I would buy a car sight unseen and I still think I am crazy for doing it. I am an avid modder but have been a mustang guy my whole life, but now I have 2 little kids and need something with 4 doors. Sorry for the ramble. To answer a previous post I live in Beacon Falls, CT

-Jon

Congrats on the car. As a fellow owner of a black GXP with a stick, i automatically befriend you.

SpeedRacerX
12-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi guys,

-Jon

Jon, that is Awesome! I'm glad I "flushed you out." LOL. Just kidding.

Welcome to the Forum and welcome to the G8. You will love it.

As you can see, we are REALLY into these cars on this Forum - some may compare it to stalking. LOL.

polo
12-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Welcome Jon! Congrats on the car!

G8GT721
12-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Welcome Jon! Congrats on the car!

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r33pwrd
12-08-2010, 02:21 PM
The inside was kinda dirty...had either cat hair or dog hair....so probably a 35+year old driver.......maybe a old couple..?

very odd assumption... I see young people with dirty cars all the time..

-Ray-
12-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase.

bowtiefan
12-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Congrats and welcome to the forum. I think you got a great deal and I'm sure the car will clean-up real well!

13 QTR
12-08-2010, 03:14 PM
very odd assumption... I see young people with dirty cars all the time..

but you don't see many young people with dogs riding around in a $35k car...... I could see a older guy having a midlife crisis buying it to feel young......but not have the cahonas to tell his wife to get that damn dog out of my car.

-Ray-
12-08-2010, 03:16 PM
but you don't see many young people with dogs riding around in a $35k...... I could see a older guy having a midlife crisis buying it to feel young......but not have the cahonas to tell his wife to get that damn dog out of my car.

Guess there's not a lot of yuppies in North East Alabama.

13 QTR
12-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Guess there's not a lot of yuppies in North East Alabama.

guess not....you see alot of trucks with hound dogs riding shotgun.....

r33pwrd
12-08-2010, 05:38 PM
but you don't see many young people with dogs riding around in a $35k car...... I could see a older guy having a midlife crisis buying it to feel young......but not have the cahonas to tell his wife to get that damn dog out of my car.

I let my dog ride in whatever I get... when I was 18 my dog rode in my new 1997 GTP (first one to hit the state) when it was 2 days old (the car that is) The older i get the less my dog rides with me?? My midlife crisis car better not be a G8... better be a vette ;)

norm8332
12-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Why is it still listed? but for $35,995?

polo
12-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Hmmm... They better not be trying to screw Jon over and back out of the sale

Darkmanx
12-08-2010, 06:24 PM
they sold him the gt and they upped the price on the gxp because u all keep talking about it

Panzer Leader
12-08-2010, 07:39 PM
they sold him the gt and they upped the price on the gxp because u all keep talking about it

Hope that is not true.

G8GT721
12-09-2010, 06:07 AM
Hope that is not true.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

polo
12-09-2010, 06:23 AM
I just called and asked them what the deal was...

They said the car was originally sold (I guess to Jon), and this buyer has agreed to sell the car for $35,995. He said he would let the seller know if I was interested in buying. So, apparently it's not the dealership that's trying to up the price... it's Jon who might be trying to make a few bucks.

If that's true, that's good news; because it sure looked like they realized they under priced the car and were trying to back out of the deal.

norm8332
12-09-2010, 06:33 AM
Oh..I thought the buyer was actually going to keep the car. If true Jon shouldn't try to enlist support from us if he is just a middleman. It's underhanded IMO.

gibbsjo
12-09-2010, 07:19 AM
This is news to me, thanks for the heads up guys. The dealer did offer me money to back out of the deal but I told them no way. I am calling them now. I did not buy this car to resell unless the offer is ridiculous.

polo
12-09-2010, 07:31 AM
Wow, stand your ground man. Good luck

gibbsjo
12-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Alright, just called the dealer they said they bumped up the price in autotrader because of the number of calls they have received at the original price. The paperwork has been signed and we are working out a trucking company as we speak. I am just a normal guy who was looking for a gxp for a long time and jumped on a deal when I found one. I look forward to getting advice from everyone on this board about first mods.

Darkmanx
12-09-2010, 07:51 AM
told you they upped the price because u all keep calling , if your not in the market for a gxp i have no idea why u guys keep bugging the dealing. hopefully you get your car soon man gl

texn884
12-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Stand your ground and drive it off the lot fast.

Drive it like you STOLE IT.:thumbsup:

Enjoy.

mikemaj82
12-09-2010, 08:44 AM
hmm the dealership must have used Edmunds' TMV for the G8 GXP, which is $28,317

gibbsjo
12-09-2010, 08:50 AM
the dealer told me they price all their used cars 1200 to 1600 over what they pay for them, this vehicle was obtained through a wholesaler (not sure if it was an auction). so they listed it for 1600 over what they paid and had no idea of its real value. they are still happy that they made money but know they could have made more if they did more homework before listing it. Deal is done and the car will be on a truck Saturday on its way to CT.

r33pwrd
12-09-2010, 09:23 AM
the dealer told me they price all their used cars 1200 to 1600 over what they pay for them, this vehicle was obtained through a wholesaler (not sure if it was an auction). so they listed it for 1600 over what they paid and had no idea of its real value. they are still happy that they made money but know they could have made more if they did more homework before listing it. Deal is done and the car will be on a truck Saturday on its way to CT.

congrats man! That is a hell of a deal for a GXP!

travis gore
12-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Congrats on the GXP
Welcome to the forum!
see good things come to those who wait.

texn884
12-09-2010, 10:36 AM
What a great Christmas Present.

GeorgeInNePa
12-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Alright, just called the dealer they said they bumped up the price in autotrader because of the number of calls they have received at the original price. The paperwork has been signed and we are working out a trucking company as we speak. I am just a normal guy who was looking for a gxp for a long time and jumped on a deal when I found one. I look forward to getting advice from everyone on this board about first mods.

Sticky tires...

13 QTR
12-09-2010, 07:48 PM
good too hear....I was afraid,after I dropped by,that they knew they priced it low.....I don't think so,but ya'll do. The owner is a big time wholeseller,so he comes across good deals. I was told that they knew where other gxp's were for around that same price. I told them to go get 'em and sale them. Yea....it came from Tennessee,through a wholesale.....I don't think it was at a auction thou......

mooredata
12-09-2010, 08:35 PM
this story is crazy!

gibbsjo
12-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Hi guys,

I am happy to report that the car was delivered at 11pm last night. The car is as promised I was like a kid in a candy store. Too bad I can't drive it until I go visit the DMV. It would have been nice if the dealer would have detailed the car but I guess I can't complain. I am very happy to finally be a g8 owner.

SpeedRacerX
12-13-2010, 06:42 AM
Hi guys,

I am happy to report that the car was delivered at 11pm last night. The car is as promised I was like a kid in a candy store. Too bad I can't drive it until I go visit the DMV. It would have been nice if the dealer would have detailed the car but I guess I can't complain. I am very happy to finally be a g8 owner.

That is fantastic!

Eidolon
12-13-2010, 06:46 AM
Hi guys,

To plug a vendor, Adams Polishes (http://adamspolishes.com) (their sub-forum on the boards is here (http://forum.grrrr8.net/forumdisplay.php?f=138)) can set you up with everything you need to fully detail the car yourself.

Congrats on the car! You'll definitely enjoy it. :)

Kaos
12-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Awesome buy! Welcome to the community!

Sent using Tapatalk pro.

DetTigers
12-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Congrats Jon! Be sure to post some pics up when you get her nice and clean.

polo
12-13-2010, 07:40 AM
That's awesome... I'm glad it worked out! Congrats on the new car!

texn884
12-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Congrats and get some of the Adams products and they will make her look brand new. Send Pictures. :)

Virus
12-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Great purchase! Your a lucky man to get one at that price!