PDA

View Full Version : HVAC Fan

TooManyHobbies
12-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Anybody know how much dash disassembly is necessary to replace the fan? It sounds like I have a fan bearing going out. Just wondering how many squeaks and rattles I can expect after I get the warranty work done.

TooManyHobbies
12-07-2010, 09:31 AM
It is quiet again today. I will monitor and take to stealer if it starts acting up again.

2StepsAhead
12-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Mine was doing it off and on the whole way home, I was hoping Id luck out and it was a freak occurance. I tried taping it with my phone, but it would come and go...usually when I came to a dead stop it would wait 20 seconds and start.

TeddyInSTL
12-07-2010, 01:36 PM
I replaced my cabin filter not too long ago. I wonder if something got sucked up into the fan. There was a ton of crap in there. I may try a little shot of WD-40 too.

CntryClub007
12-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Ya I'd love to replace mine, I have really audible ears and can barely hear mine while spinning....I wonder if anyone has the install guide for it...

TeddyInSTL
12-10-2010, 07:27 AM
I cleaned out the cabin air filter and sprayed a little WD-40 in a little hole on the HVAC fan next to the blades. It is quiet again! I got to the fan from the engine bay, rather than from the dash. I hope the quiet lasts for a while.

2StepsAhead
12-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Do you have an pics of where it is? Maybe I can give it a shot too...mines been quieter after that one day but it's still a little noisier then I remember.

TeddyInSTL
12-14-2010, 12:01 PM
The noise is back. I quit smoking about a month ago and up until that time; I always had the window cracked and the fan on full blast, so I never heard the squeaks. I do not think it will be too hard to take the fan out and I am going to try it this weekend. I think I just have to drop the glove box down and unscrew a few screws. I'll take pics.

1sweetG8
01-11-2011, 12:08 PM
My 09 G8 GT is making a noise like this too. I would really like to know if there is a way to get to to fan unit to see if there is something that can be done.

cwhite
04-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Mine started making noise a couple days ago... I also had my cabin filter replaced last month, so I'm starting to wonder.

Would a dealer look into something like this under warranty? Or, will they brush it aside since the fan is still functioning?

Napalm
04-20-2011, 10:21 AM
when replacing the ac filter you can see the fan check it over. Unless there are 2 fans (and there might be). you might want to replace the filter and clean out any debris you see in there.

shop vac and hose works wonders.

coops09gxp
04-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Ok, this seems odd. In the last week mine has started making the noise as well. Sounds just every other fan motor I have heard when the bearings get dry. Mine currently only does it when the fan speed is between 2-10, once I get above that it goes away. It would be great to know what all is needed to replace the fan motor, i.e. procedure. I am not gonna take mine to the dealer for this, they have a hard enough time not breaking simple stuff. Don't wanna give them something complex, they might hand me a box of parts and say sorry. :)

GT Drew
04-25-2011, 05:28 AM
check out the "glove box lamp intall" thread. Once the box is out of the way you see the fan. http://http://eidolways.com/images/G8/GloveBox/Step6.jpg

Few bolts and an electrical connection after that