PDA

View Full Version : New Uncut Flip Key. How/Where to get it cut?

arand123
12-06-2010, 10:12 AM
I ordered a new Flip Key for my 08 Pontiac G8 GT off of Ebay. I got the key, Uncut, and unused but i dont know where i can get it cut. i took it to the dealership and asked them and they said they cant cut it and they had to order me a new one. i didnt do it. So im just wondering where i can get the key cut. maybe a locksmith?

terryscott621
12-06-2010, 10:44 AM
You'll have to find an automotive locksmith to cut the key. They have to use a special cutting device since the key is cut on both sides. I had to do this for my fiancee's key and it ran me about $50. They can also reprogram the key for you, but I didn't need to have this done for her car. They place I used was local and they came to your house. Just do a search on google, I'm sure there are a ton of them around where you live.

texn884
12-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Hey Terry, who did you use in San Antonio its always good info to have programed in my cell. I think I saw you last week going west on 1604 in the morning madness. I was going east and I think we both looked at each other as we crossed paths. Maybe maybe not but the color was yours.

Red2001SS
12-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Seems like such a pain in the ass for keys nowadays. Guess I need to make mine last some how.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
12-07-2010, 03:20 PM
You can buy the key precut from the dealer so it's no hassle getting a new one.

terryscott621
12-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Hey Terry, who did you use in San Antonio its always good info to have programed in my cell. I think I saw you last week going west on 1604 in the morning madness. I was going east and I think we both looked at each other as we crossed paths. Maybe maybe not but the color was yours.

It was quite a while ago, but If I remember correctly it was Pop-A-Lock. The guy that came out wasn't a Pop-A-Lock employee, he wasn't contracted through them.

The silver G8 you saw probably wasn't me. I work over off of 410 and Jones Maltsberger by NorthStar Mall. I try to stay away from 1604 traffic in the morning. I've only seen two silver G8's other than mine around town. One was a GXP in the Garden Ridge area and the other I see by my office pretty regularly, but It's a lady that drives it (probably around mid 40's) and she never even acknowledges me when I try and wave at her. :huh:

texn884
12-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Just thought I would ask.

Have a Merry Christmas.

drumsbh
12-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Hey guys,

I bought a key also from eBay almost a year ago and got it cut, it turns everything on but the engine. I've tried "learning" the key per the owners manual with no luck. Any help would be great to get this engine emobilizer to let me start the engine. Thanks

Brent

DRCUSTOMPARTS
12-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Maybe the dealer can program it to work. If not then it doesn't have a chip inside to be able to program it.

arand123
12-10-2010, 05:20 AM
I tried ordering the key straight from the dealership but its double the price and i already recieved and payed for the key off ebay. so there is no point in having two keys. so all im looking for is a way to get this uncut key cut

terryscott621
12-10-2010, 07:47 AM
I tried ordering the key straight from the dealership but its double the price and i already recieved and payed for the key off ebay. so there is no point in having two keys. so all im looking for is a way to get this uncut key cut

To just have the key cut you can use any locksmith that can cut automotive keys. Just call around to some locksmiths in your area to see if they offer this service.

Now as for having it programmed that might be a little harder. Might also want to ask the company that cuts your key if they offer this. Some do and some don't. The dealer is also an option to have the key programmed for your car.

Darkmanx
12-29-2010, 12:30 PM
yeah i went to the dealer and they told me the price of a key is 250 i went to 3 dealers, they said when they enter the information in the computer gm charges 50 dollars for the programming code to cut the key . One of the dealer gave me a automotive locksmith number and told me to call him , he told me they can cut the key and program it for 40 dollars so i just ordered one off ebay for 60 dollars.

christiancoach
12-29-2010, 09:14 PM
I could be wrong, but when I bought an uncut key from Crazy Paul so I could have the Holden Logo on mine. Lot's of places said they could cut it. NO ONE could program it. The information that I got at the time was that the only way to get a working key was to order it cut and programmed from GM itself. I went to 5 dealers, and I used to work at 2 of them. I was told specifically that they weren't even sure why GM sold uncut keys, because there was no way to make use of them.
Again, that is the information I got over a year ago.

Darkmanx
12-29-2010, 09:21 PM
I could be wrong, but when I bought an uncut key from Crazy Paul so I could have the Holden Logo on mine. Lot's of places said they could cut it. NO ONE could program it. The information that I got at the time was that the only way to get a working key was to order it cut and programmed from GM itself. I went to 5 dealers, and I used to work at 2 of them. I was told specifically that they weren't even sure why GM sold uncut keys, because there was no way to make use of them.
Again, that is the information I got over a year ago.

I was told that since i have a working key, they can clone the code off the key thats already working. if you go to the dealer you can have them send you the code for 50 dollars but the dealer gave me the locksmith number and said they sent keys out to him because gm was too expensive. i look at it this way i need a key and i payed 70 dollars for a key and a keyfob the dealer wanted 115 just for the fob so worse case senario they cant do it i still saved 40 dollars and ill just go to the dealer and order the key there and use the ebay keyfob.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
12-29-2010, 09:32 PM
I didn't get a spare key & fob so the dealer sent me one and I programmed it off my other key & fob.

drumsbh
01-04-2011, 08:12 PM
yeah i went to the dealer and they told me the price of a key is 250 i went to 3 dealers, they said when they enter the information in the computer gm charges 50 dollars for the programming code to cut the key . One of the dealer gave me a automotive locksmith number and told me to call him , he told me they can cut the key and program it for 40 dollars so i just ordered one off ebay for 60 dollars.

Did you order one from "Vista" on eBay? The eBay ID is VistaRemotes i believe?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Darkmanx
01-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Did you order one from "Vista" on eBay? The eBay ID is VistaRemotes i believe?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
yeah i ordered one from them the key came it didnt look quite new but it was in great condition , i contacted them and they said it might be from bulk shipping and they would send me a replacement but i didnt want to go through the hassle i will let you guys know tomorrow if the automotive locksmith can cut and program it.

drumsbh
01-05-2011, 06:40 AM
yeah i ordered one from them the key came it didnt look quite new but it was in great condition , i contacted them and they said it might be from bulk shipping and they would send me a replacement but i didnt want to go through the hassle i will let you guys know tomorrow if the automotive locksmith can cut and program it.

This is who I got mine from. I had mine cut and it turns everything on BUT the engine. I get Engine Immobilized on the dash. I took it to the dealership to get programmed and the technician and I worked on it for about an hour and couldnt get it to "learn", we both think that it doesnt have a chip inside, or the chip is bad. Vista is working with me though on this issue. Keep me posted through PM. That way we can both talk to Vista if need be. The actual pfob part works great. Thanks. -Brent

Darkmanx
01-05-2011, 01:39 PM
This is who I got mine from. I had mine cut and it turns everything on BUT the engine. I get Engine Immobilized on the dash. I took it to the dealership to get programmed and the technician and I worked on it for about an hour and couldnt get it to "learn", we both think that it doesnt have a chip inside, or the chip is bad. Vista is working with me though on this issue. Keep me posted through PM. That way we can both talk to Vista if need be. The actual pfob part works great. Thanks. -Brent

Mine does the same thing , there is a chip there i pulled my key apart and saw it but when i went to the dealer last week they told me there is a code that gm programs in the key when they are cutting it and they had to pay 50 dollars to get it . That is why it wont learn, only gm can cut the key

Darkmanx
01-05-2011, 03:08 PM
You guys know you can program a new key sitting in your car via the DIC settings right? I got a new key and it wouldnt start the car, went to immoblized mode.

Went into the DIC Security settings, reprogram key option.

You push both lock/unlock buttons together until the car beeps. Repeat for as many keys as needed.

Then it started the car just fine. Its worked a few times for me once for my key from Pace and another from teh Vista Remote place.

thats to program the transmitter not the key itself.

Darkmanx
01-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Mine does everything but start car

drumsbh
01-06-2011, 06:07 AM
Mine does everything but start car

+1

hfxG8
01-13-2011, 01:31 PM
I don't like the sounds of this. Just got a key from the same guys on Ebay. Key is not cut yet but after reading this I'm a little concerned.

95_9C1
05-11-2013, 07:17 AM
Since it's been over two years, were any of you guys able to get your keys to work on your cars?

TIA

hfxG8
06-29-2013, 09:54 AM
With all the talk I didn't bother to try. I still have the fob, will probably order the key from the dealer and try that with the fob.

Darkmanx
06-29-2013, 11:16 AM
I finally got mine to work the other day after 2 years

TailG8er
06-29-2013, 02:16 PM
I want to get a second key for mine and my dad wants to do the same for his. What is the best/cheapest approach to getting one?

Crazy Paul
07-01-2013, 08:47 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Keys/Pontiac-Flip-Key.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/PerthPurplePenguin/media/car%20parts/Keys/Pontiac-Flip-Key.jpg.html)
http://paceperformance.com/search.html?q=92204549

G8 Transmitter with Remote Start Button 92237316
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Keys/G8Fob-92237316_zps9884cac7.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/PerthPurplePenguin/media/car%20parts/Keys/G8Fob-92237316_zps9884cac7.jpg.html)
http://paceperformance.com/search.html?q=92237316

TailG8er
07-01-2013, 09:06 AM
And then have it cut by the dealer or a lock out guy?

WickedMom
07-01-2013, 10:17 PM
I use a locksmith with a laser cutter. Cheaper and quicker than the dealer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

WhiteDeathLSX
07-04-2013, 09:48 AM
My key housing broke and I grew frustrated with researching a reasonable fix...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2