PDA

View Full Version : Gas Cap Question

Panzer Leader
11-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Tonight the check engine light came on. Contacted On Star, they ran check. Appears to be the gas cap again. I had it replaced once alreay (Black with white lettering) I understand that there is a new one out. Is it a different color? I heard blue with white lettering. Going to dealer tomorrow but would appreciate any TSB info before getting there. Thanks.

Demos-Analem-Kratos
11-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Mine already chewed through its second. My third gas cap looks the same as the second from what i can tell....

todds87ss
11-26-2010, 08:35 AM
New cap is black with white writing "Caution, tighten 3 clicks or service engine light will come on"

Demos-Analem-Kratos
11-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah thats what my last two have said

Panzer Leader
11-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Its the cap, new cap ordered.

icantdrive55
11-26-2010, 12:34 PM
This is what the 'new' gas cap looks like.

Panzer Leader
11-26-2010, 02:20 PM
So where did the one with the blue lettering come from? Or was there even one like that. Damn I hate to miss an episode, it makes it hard to follow the story line. Sort of like the front LCAs, just how many "new" revisions were made to them, 3?

Habibus
11-26-2010, 02:31 PM
My first one had the blue lettering. I now have one with the white lettering that was posted by Icantdrive55. This was after it was replaced under warranty a few months ago.

icantdrive55
11-26-2010, 02:57 PM
+1 what habibus said

Panzer Leader
11-26-2010, 04:35 PM
My first one had no blue lettering. Then again neither did the second. So there must be a third one, black cap with white letters. Or was that white cap with black letters. Maybe a cork would be better. LOL

gully40
11-27-2010, 04:46 AM
I receive a letter from GM Canada yesterday about the new procedure for the gas cap. The bulletin with picture explains were to put it… I know were not that dumb but you can’t put the cap on the support. When refuelling your vehicle, always store the fuel cap by placing the tether over the tab on fuel door. Never secure the fuel cap by the tab on the end of the cap. Pontiac G8 may have a vapour leak at the fuel thank filler cap If the leak becomes large enough, it may result in a diagnostic code being set and the check engine light came on or a on some the a check fuel cap may also be display.

They say: Did not bring your vehicle to you General Motors dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe you car has the condition as described above.

GM is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel tank filler cap. If the condition occurs on your 2009 model year Pontiac G8 vehicle within 10 years or 193,000 KM, whichever occurs first, the condition described above will be repaired for you at no cost.

todds87ss
11-27-2010, 06:20 AM
My first one had no blue lettering. Then again neither did the second. So there must be a third one, black cap with white letters. Or was that white cap with black letters. Maybe a cork would be better. LOL

Are you sure it's the cap? P0445? Other codes are related to other failures in the evap system.

Panzer Leader
11-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Dealer verified it on Friday. I asked the same thinh thinking it may be the 02 sensors.

Panzer Leader
11-30-2010, 10:53 AM
OK new cap installed today. Cap is black with blue lettering.

BlueJacket
11-30-2010, 01:02 PM
I receive a letter from GM Canada yesterday about the new procedure for the gas cap. The bulletin with picture explains were to put it… I know were not that dumb but you can’t put the cap on the support. When refuelling your vehicle, always store the fuel cap by placing the tether over the tab on fuel door. Never secure the fuel cap by the tab on the end of the cap. Pontiac G8 may have a vapour leak at the fuel thank filler cap If the leak becomes large enough, it may result in a diagnostic code being set and the check engine light came on or a on some the a check fuel cap may also be display.

They say: Did not bring your vehicle to you General Motors dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe you car has the condition as described above.

GM is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel tank filler cap. If the condition occurs on your 2009 model year Pontiac G8 vehicle within 10 years or 193,000 KM, whichever occurs first, the condition described above will be repaired for you at no cost.

Got the same letter this week.

todds87ss
11-30-2010, 01:02 PM
so they gave you the old one? Wicked Mom had a post regarding this...

Panzer Leader
11-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Hell if I know. Someone on the other forum posted pics of the so-called new cap and it was black with blue lettering. Damn can't keep up with what is and what isn't.

jeppsG8
12-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Got my letter today but I don't have the problem. Letter says they will cover it for 10 years and reimburse if I had paid to get it fixed.

66cat389
12-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Hell if I know. Someone on the other forum posted pics of the so-called new cap and it was black with blue lettering. Damn can't keep up with what is and what isn't.

I would trust what's posted here way before I trust what is posted over there. Someone over there probably just wanted a break from their typical "I want to add more power, but I'm too lazy to use the search function." threads. Or the never ending stream of CAI threads they have over there.

dblott
12-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Got my letter today. Everything in it that you guys said, plus a reimbursement claim form incase you had already had to pay for the repair.

kevinm0131
12-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Got my letter today too. That said, mine kept throwing the the low level evap code and my dealer did two gas caps, then the filler neck. No problems for three months now, keeping my fingers crossed.

Kevin

Night Train
12-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I brought my '09 in for regular service last week. The tech asked how things were with the car, etc. I told him that I loved the car but the gas cap P0045 CEL was making me go crazy. He said that a bad gas cap shouldn't cause that CEL. But, he did some checking and found that GM would replace the cap. I'm waiting for the cap.

Panzer Leader
12-07-2010, 06:03 AM
Thats interesting, if the "bad" cap doesn't cause the CEL, what does?

icantdrive55
12-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Got my letter yesterday. Good to keep just in case. Since the dealer replaced my cap in August, I've have not gotten a CEL. There must be something to the gas cap being bad and throwing a CEL code since the topic is frequently discussed here and GM is providing additional coverage.

xXXNoMVAMXXx
12-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Who would hang their gas cap by the plastic tab honestly thats what the cord is there for

todds87ss
12-07-2010, 07:59 AM
I brought my '09 in for regular service last week. The tech asked how things were with the car, etc. I told him that I loved the car but the gas cap P0045 CEL was making me go crazy. He said that a bad gas cap shouldn't cause that CEL. But, he did some checking and found that GM would replace the cap. I'm waiting for the cap.

He's correct. P0445 is caused by a bad cap (or one between p0441 and p0450), not p0045. Also got my letter yesterday. Gotta find my receipt for the replacement cap.

texn884
12-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Got my letter also and there was a $100.00 bill in with it also with Obama's picture on it.

66cat389
12-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Got my letter also and there was a $100.00 bill in with it also with Obama's picture on it.

http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/346/original/969638-cool_story__bro_super.jpg

american_kestrel
12-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Big change in the underside of the cap. New design has a different cog wheel ratcheting design and spring. It has a rebound effect when holding the part that screws into the tank fill neck then twisting the black main body. The old cap would "click" but the new design keeps tension. My guess is to prevent vapor leak. The old cap just screwed in tight, but no "tension" so it could leak. I understand our fuel system is "return vapor to tank" so it tests itself for keeping pressure. I guess when it tries to burp the system the old cap couldn't keep pressure.

Sanandreyas70
07-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I've never had my gas cap replaced.....My CEL has come on a few times...i always open the gas cap and re-close it....It hasn't occured more than a few times over the last 2 years.....since I am not having a major problem with it..i haven't worried about it.....would it be wise for me to replace it regardless?

Thanks for help,
Sandra :)

74SJ
07-12-2011, 03:46 PM
My CEL would come on when the outside temp was 80 or above 2-3 times a week last year and this year, I would just tighten the cap and it would go away.
I took it the dealer in May of this year and talked the Service Manager about it and he ordered me a new cap, but in the meantime he said to coat the rubber sealing ring
under the cap with oil, this he said gives the cap a better seal. I have not had a problem since with the old cap and it's been in the 90's here. I'll keep the new cap as a spare.

todds87ss
07-13-2011, 04:56 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The cap is cheap, and if it does fail, replace it then.

sweetair
07-13-2011, 11:25 AM
This swap was done to mine a while ago. Driving and getting the lightning bolt check engine chime is a buzz kill.

hflores3
07-15-2011, 05:41 PM
anyone have a part number to the new cap?

ICULUKN24
08-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Ive been having this problem for the past two weeks.... just ordered my new one too! **fingers crossed**

:)