PDA

View Full Version : It's still Holden on to the American dream

SRG963
11-20-2010, 09:46 AM
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/SRGSRG963/1_chevy-commodore_420-420x0.jpg

The Commodore looks set to regain its drawl, with US exports of the iconic Australian large car imminent, writes Bruce Newton.

The Holden Commodore appears odds-on to return to the US with a Chevrolet badge and it should happen within the lifespan of the current model.

A senior engineer for General Motors, Al Oppenheiser, confirmed to Drive at the Los Angeles motor show this week that negotiations were under way to sell the Commodore in North America as a Chevrolet sports sedan.

"We are definitely looking at that, although we have made no official announcement as yet," Oppenheiser said. "We are definitely looking at doing something with Holden for the retail market."
Advertisement: Story continues below

Another GM source, who did not wish to be named, went further and said the export deal had been approved. "But you didn't hear me say that," the source said.

The VE Commodore was previously exported to the US as a Pontiac G8 with V6 and V8 engine options. That program ceased when GM crashed into bankruptcy last year and the struggling Pontiac brand was killed off.

The axing of the deal cost Holden millions of dollars in lost exports and placed the future of the Elizabeth plant and Holden itself in danger.

"What we are looking at is bridging a gap in the performance sedan market that was vacated by the Pontiac G8," Oppenheiser said. "With no Pontiac, the obvious performance brand is Chevrolet.

"So the Commodore Zeta 1 architecture offers us so much with rear-wheel-drive performance. The synergy between motor compartment packaging of the Commodore and HSV products versus what we do here with Camaro and Corvette means the opportunities are endless."

A spokesman for Holden, Jonathan Rose, is circumspect when asked about a new Commodore-based export program.

"We have made no secret of the fact that we're pursuing new export opportunities for our local product," he says. "At this point in time our focus is on exporting the Caprice to North America as a law enforcement vehicle ... beyond that we don't have anything to add right now."

But Holden's stocks in the global organisation have soared in recent years with the appointment of two former Holden managing directors to senior positions within the GM global empire.

Mark Reuss is president of GM North America, while his successor in Australia, Alan Batey, is head of sales and service for Chevrolet.

With homologation work on a left-hand-drive Commodore largely completed through the Pontiac G8 process, legalising the Commodore for North America would be relatively painless. Exchange rates, currently at parity, present a bigger stumbling block.

While Holden has developed a long-wheelbase performance model for the US police market, based on the Caprice, Oppenheiser said it is more likely that a car for the retail market will be based on the short-wheelbase Commodore.

"The police told us they wanted the long-wheelbase in the rear for the crooks but I have a hand in what we do with Holden and I don't think we would do long-wheelbase [for the private market]."

He also rejected US media reports that the rear-wheel-drive architecture would be pressed into service in GM's other passenger vehicle brands, Cadillac and Buick.

"No, we have other architectures coming for those brands," he said. "The Zeta platform is basically going to be Chevrolet and Holden."

Oppenheiser, who is the vehicle chief engineer for Camaro, was at the LA show launching the convertible version of the iconic car. Like the hard-top coupe, it is based on a shorter version of Commodore's Zeta architecture. As with the coupe, it won't be converted to right-hand-drive.

"That's one of the disappointments of my tenure here, that we didn't do a right-hand-drive version," Oppenheiser said.

"We had two goes at it and it got cancelled twice. It's a pity, because the UK wants it too."
http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/its-still-holden-on-to-the-american-dream-20101119-180dm.html
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/SRGSRG963/2012ChevyComodore.jpg

chipman283
11-20-2010, 10:08 AM
I will believe it when I see one at the local dealership. Does look nice though.

SS DAVE
11-20-2010, 11:47 AM
i want that bonnet

SRG963
11-20-2010, 02:17 PM
i want that bonnet

The cowl hood with front air inlet does it for me also....

youngrushhour
11-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Sexy

Crazy Paul
11-20-2010, 02:45 PM
i want that bonnet

FYI
Aus "bonnet" = USA "hood"
Aus "boot" = USA "trunk"

I think I saw "bonnet" while reading some GM USA doc a while back , they were referring to the "interior roof lining".
Happy to be corrected on that one guys.

bowtiefan
11-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Get this car here now!

polo
11-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Damn that's pretty. Looks like it has the Camaro wheels.

BigRob
11-20-2010, 03:41 PM
looks badass

travis gore
11-20-2010, 03:53 PM
I do not think it looks as good as the G8,but would be nice to see it brought over

High Voltage
11-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Daddy likey!!!!

Dustin
11-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Being a previous Pontiac salesperson, I was sad to see the brand go. We outsold Chevy cars in our local market, but all in all, with the new Buick cars coming out, I'm happy with what we are selling right now and with what the future holds. With that being said, I really want to see Chevy get these vehicles. I don't have to tell anyone on this board that our G8 was a unique vehicle because of the price point, power, and handling that it had. I truly believe that a Holden based caprice will do well as a Chevy. Guys like me who want a Camaro but have a family NEED the space a four door provides. I hope that I have a Buick based Holden to purchase next, but if it has to have a bowtie, then so be it!
Most vehicles that my customers buy to fill a transportation need are boring and void of any soul. If we can bring back the excitement, the emotion, and the pure joy of driving out of the people and our cars, we will reclaim what we have lost, even if it takes a few cars made from our friends in Austrailia to get that ball rolling!

Demos-Analem-Kratos
11-20-2010, 05:22 PM
That will be my next car it it makes it here.

Panzer Leader
11-20-2010, 06:13 PM
^+1 Interested only if the following are done"

Improved front strut design, to include strut bushing and bearing
New and improved Front Lower Control Arms
DI V6 with optional 6 spd MT
No drivetrain "clunk"
Triple Hump Gauges or Hacked Ataris Standaed
Bluetooth
Auto Trans Dipstick
Improved Audio
Auto dimming Mirror
Express Up/down front windows
HID Headlights at least as an option
Express open/close sunroof
Honor my GM Loyalty Buy Back price.
Allow me to order the suspension that I want (FE3) even with the V6 (like Cadillac does)
Full size spare option
Easily removable insignia and logos

Panzer Leader
11-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Just think of this, swap the front bumper assembly with grills and hood from the G8. Rebadge as Pontiac and the G8 lives forever!

mi04se1
11-20-2010, 07:20 PM
I would rock that.

travis gore
11-21-2010, 05:31 AM

No drivetrain "clunk"
Bluetooth
Auto Trans Dipstick
Improved Audio
Auto dimming Mirror
Allow me to order the suspension that I want (FE3) even with the V6 (like Cadillac does)
Full size spare option

is that all? lol

GXPaycheck
11-21-2010, 07:02 AM
Me likey!

BATOYGIO
11-21-2010, 07:04 AM

No drivetrain "clunk"
Bluetooth
Auto Trans Dipstick
Improved Audio
Auto dimming Mirror
Full size spare option

lol...i'd trade all that for a couple hundred lbs weight loss......

Panzer Leader
11-21-2010, 08:05 AM
is that all? lol

I would have added more but I thought people would get bored and stop reading the post. LOL

DarkPhoenix
11-21-2010, 01:18 PM
ilike everything, except for the bowtie on the grill :(

Panzer Leader
11-21-2010, 01:35 PM
^+1 Exactly why a race mesh grill kit for front is essential. OR buy a Chevy, find a G8 wrecked in the rear, switch hood, front bumper and facia onto the Chevy. Of course, it would be identified as a G9 LOL.

Panzer Leader
11-21-2010, 01:41 PM
OK PART II "Things we would like to see......"

Glove light
Center Console light
Door Courtsey lights
Back up camera (Option)
NAV - Option
Better designed rear console (Design that the pass through is not open when rear center console is down)
Put better anti-glare on dash (Speedo and Tach washes out)

More to follow......Somethings could be bundled into a Tech PacK.

Crazy Paul
11-21-2010, 03:06 PM
OK PART II "Things we would like to see......"

Glove light
Center Console light
Door Courtsey lights
Back up camera (Option)
NAV - Option
Better designed rear console (Design that the pass through is not open when rear center console is down)
Put better anti-glare on dash (Speedo and Tach washes out)

More to follow......Somethings could be bundled into a Tech PacK.

You're wasting your time. You're asking for all the best features from 10 different sedans (at 10 different price points) to be rolled into 1 and probably expect to pay the equivalent of the 2nd cheapest of the 10.

Also I believe GM N/A stopped listening to what the consumers want in about 1968.

Panzer Leader
11-21-2010, 03:15 PM
You're wasting your time. You're asking for all the best features from 10 different sedans (at 10 different price points) to be rolled into 1 and probably expect to pay the equivalent of the 2nd cheapest of the 10.

Also I believe GM N/A stopped listening to what the consumers want in about 1968.

The voice from OZ has spoken. CP yes I know I am dreaming. And cost wise, it would then be approaching a Cadillac CTS w/the DI V6. I can do without the fluff items but the mechanical issues are not for comprimise. I would be happy with those being addressed. And your last sentence is totally accurate as well. All the big three put the "blinders" and ear plugs on about the same time.

wreckwriter
11-21-2010, 04:15 PM
That hood is nice, would be fabulous if the cowl were about twice as high.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
11-21-2010, 05:34 PM
I think it looks great, the lower bumper facia is much better than what we have on the G8. The cowl hood looks cool but I like the dual scoops we have better. I kept saying all along that Chevy will sell this car and it looks like it will happen. I'll bet it'll be the Impala SS since Chevy no longer sells that model.

Panzer Leader
11-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Impala with the DI V6, Impala Gt with the 6.0 and Impala SS with the 6.2. Similar configurations to the current G8. Give me one with the DIV6 and 6spd MT loaded w/F3 suspension and gauges. I will pay 34 to 35K. better deal than the G22 and G37 and BMW 3/5 series. BTW advertise it this time LOL

kevinm0131
11-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Lots of comments on the hood and wheels. I think they photo shopped some of the prominent features of the new Camaro onto the Commodore. Either way, I too like the look, not sure if I would give up my GXP for it though. But all in all very happy that it seems to be alive and kicking again, means more parts/upgrades will become available as aftermarket companies will be all over it.

kevin

DRCUSTOMPARTS
11-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Impala GT doesn't sound right. And I can't see them selling an Impala with the 6.2 LS3 for $40,000 or more, so the SS will have the 6.0 like the Caprice police car to keep it under $35,000. I doubt they will put a 6-speed manual in an Impala either, specially the V6 model.

black magic
11-22-2010, 08:03 AM
This is being discussed at motor trend as well and I have to agree with some of their suggestions as far as the name. I say bring it back as the Chevelle. 1. From what I understand the next gen Impala is all but done as far as design, so I don't see GM scrapping all of that work. 2. Chevelle would be a direct competitor to the Charger... same as it was years ago. Badging it a Buick would give you more bells and whistles, but at a softer exterior design. Then again, the model shown at the top of the thread doesn't do too much for me... the G8 is still more sporty/agressive IMO.

g8gxp
11-22-2010, 10:01 AM
have there been many sedans with cowl hoods in the past? I can't recall any.

kevinm0131
11-22-2010, 10:27 AM
This is being discussed at motor trend as well and I have to agree with some of their suggestions as far as the name. I say bring it back as the Chevelle. 1. From what I understand the next gen Impala is all but done as far as design, so I don't see GM scrapping all of that work. 2. Chevelle would be a direct competitor to the Charger... same as it was years ago. Badging it a Buick would give you more bells and whistles, but at a softer exterior design. Then again, the model shown at the top of the thread doesn't do too much for me... the G8 is still more sporty/agressive IMO.
I like the idea of Chevelle, or perhaps something totally new. I have an idea, the g8 is often called a 4 door 'vette, what if we take Chevy and 'vette and combine them to make Chevette?! ;-) Oh wait, that's been done already. LOL

kevin

BW G8GT
11-22-2010, 11:15 AM
that will be my next car it it makes it here.
ditto ^^^^^^

DRCUSTOMPARTS
11-22-2010, 02:47 PM
The Chevelle and Malibu name refer to the same model, and since they already have a Malibu it would be too confusing to have both names. The redesigned Impala is due in the 2014 model year, and will move to the longer version of the Epsilon platform, which the current Buick LaCrosse uses. It's not like they are building a totally new car from the ground up, so it would be easy to move away from that platform to the Zeta platform. Also since the next gen Impala will only have 4 & 6 cylinder engines, I doubt that they will have an SS model, so they could use the Holden for that model if they decide to stay with the Epsilon platform.

Crazy Paul
11-22-2010, 05:06 PM
If only there weren't so much bickering, politics & semantics over what you can and can't call the thing...then you could have had left hand drive Holdens badged as Chevs since 2007. Same time as the Middle East got theirs.

Panzer Leader
11-22-2010, 05:10 PM
^+1 Quite right CP. They could even call it a POS. Who cares? We will rebadge anyway. LOL But I saw thse cars (or similiar) in the Middle East before 2007. What was Holden shipping in then?

cvidt
11-22-2010, 06:22 PM
could that be functional Ram Air I see?

Panzer Leader
11-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Need a side by side photo of the Chevy and Commodore. Hopefully the front grill is interchangeable. With the redesigned center stack, what would the gauge possibilities be? Perhaps double or even triple gauge pod over the center speaker? As far as a name, how about, Corsica? No they tried that one. How about Berreta? No I think they tried that one. Oh, how about a Corvair, no that won't do at all. Chevrolet Corsair, like the Navy jet fighter. Chevrolet Centorian, "All Hail GM."

texn884
11-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Keep the Holdens coming is what I say. Performance rules. Got to love our friends down under that build what we want here.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
11-22-2010, 08:11 PM
I like Chevrolet Centorian, it has a powerful sound to it which is what this car is all about.

SRG963
11-23-2010, 05:25 AM
My vote would be to forget the old model names and call it what it is, a Chevy Commodore.

-Ray-
11-23-2010, 05:37 AM
Why not call it a Chevy Rebadge?

SRG963
11-23-2010, 05:41 AM
Why not call it a Chevy Rebadge?

That does have a nice rhythm to it....lol

Panzer Leader
11-23-2010, 06:34 AM
"Badges? We don't need no stickin badges."

Patrick G
11-23-2010, 06:42 AM
My vote would be to forget the old model names and call it what it is, a Chevy Commodore.I was thinking exactly the same thing. No need to reinvent the wheel. Commodore is a strong name.

black magic
11-23-2010, 07:05 AM
[QUOTE=DRCUSTOMPARTS;315221]The Chevelle and Malibu name refer to the same model, and since they already have a Malibu it would be too confusing to have both names.QUOTE]
I see your point, but the GTO was just a Tempest yet GM brought that name back as it's own model. I sure didn't think of "Tempest" when it hit the streets. Same thing with the Silverado. For years that was just an option package. Malibu has been a small family hauler for 13+ years on it's own, so I would think that most consumers (especially ones looking to purchase a performance sedan) won't confuse the two cars. I just think it is a name that has a history of muscle. Although Commodore has a nice ring to it as well.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
11-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Commodore is Holden's name, they won't let Chevy use that. They could go with Lumina SS since Chevy sells that car in the Middle East and they own the rights to the name. It even looks like the car at the top of the page.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/DonRome/chevrolet_lumina.jpg

zepcom
11-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Commodore is Holden's name, they won't let Chevy use that. They could go with Lumina SS since Chevy sells that car in the Middle East and they own the rights to the name. It even looks like the car at the top of the page.

Lumina reminds me of this poor old mistake from GM:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/1990-Chevrolet-Lumina.jpg

I vote "Nova" instead! Or what about Chevelle? hmmmm :thumbsup:

laxfan
11-23-2010, 09:04 AM
I need that hood! I need that hood right now!
That is the only drawback to my conversion, the hood is just a little too "plain jane" I like the scoops on the G8 hood most of the time, every once in awhile they look a little "Aztecky" for me, not always, just sometimes. I just like the SSV front clip soooo much better than the G8 or GXP. That cowl hood would add just the right amount of aggression for me.

Tweaky
11-23-2010, 09:12 AM
In order to ship units, Holden would be more than happy to let Chevy use the name Commodore. That is, if they could keep Chevy from using it in the first place...you really think GM would let a division that sells 10k units/month dictate naming rights to one that sells 12+ times that many?

DRCUSTOMPARTS
11-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Zep my daughter has a 92 Lumina Eurosport and it's a good looking car. Plus it's got 150K miles on the motor and it still runs great. My wife had a Eurosport years ago and her's was also a great car. That's why we bought one for our daughter and it hasn't let her down.

Tweaky
11-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Not Nova:

http://tricitytowinginc.com/100_0430.JPG

How about Bel Air?

I like Chevelle, Commodore, or Super Sport.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
11-23-2010, 09:27 AM
That's not the REAL Nova, that thing was an abortion!

THIS is a Nova:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/DonRome/nova.jpg

Tweaky
11-23-2010, 06:34 PM
I am just saying Chevy ruined the name of Nova with that version, just like Pontiac did with Lemans. Not that I really care what Chevy names it, as I will convert it to a G8 if I ever get one (and store my GXP).

As for the opinion of some that would like to bring it over as a Holden. I can understand that, and somewhat agree...but I would be pissed if it actually happened. After shutting down Pontiac for being one of the "too many brands," then bring over a brand that has no real presence in the US would be a huge slap in the face to Pontiac fans. I dislike Chevy enough already, but at least there is some logic to badging as such, especially with a name that might help generate sales. But if they bring over the Ute, they should give it to GMC (at least in addition to Chevy...fucking Chevy gets everything GMC has, so any truck/suv of Chevys should be a GMC).

One other thought...this means that the G8 is no longer a Pontiac model that is/was unique to Pontiac in the US (GTO and Fiero are the only other ones I can think of atm), free from badge engineering.

cvidt
11-23-2010, 06:52 PM
I know it was a truck name but the Cyclone would be cool.
(Chevy Cyclone sounds better than Chevy Syclone)

DRCUSTOMPARTS
11-23-2010, 06:58 PM
How about just calling it a Chevy G8 since that's what it is. Since GM is bringing it back from the dead why change the name? That way the Pontiac legend would live on....

jimmyban
11-25-2010, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE=DRCUSTOMPARTS;315512]That's not the REAL Nova, that thing was an abortion!

THIS is a Nova:

DR...THAT is a Nova! Mine was black....:)

Executor999
11-25-2010, 09:46 AM
At the very least if this happens we'll have a lot of additional accessories for our cars. And any interchangeable spare parts will probably be cheaper too.

Oldtimer
11-30-2010, 07:05 AM
[QUOTE=DRCUSTOMPARTS;315512]That's not the REAL Nova, that thing was an abortion!

THIS is a Nova:

DR...THAT is a Nova! Mine was black....:)

"No va" in Spanish means "Does not go".

i don't think this would work for a re-badged G8.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
11-30-2010, 07:52 AM
English is the primary language here and it's one word so that Spanish meaning doesn't apply.

travis gore
11-30-2010, 08:19 AM
That's not the REAL Nova

it says Nova on it so it is.

Tweaky
11-30-2010, 09:48 AM
English is the primary language here and it's one word so that Spanish meaning doesn't apply.

So we go with the meaning of cataclysmic stellar explosion? Not sure that would have good connotations either. :)

DRCUSTOMPARTS
11-30-2010, 09:54 AM
It fits perfect since the car has a drivetrain that's out of this world. :first:

-Ray-
11-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Yeah, but centorian? Sounds like it's a 100 years old.

todds87ss
11-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Yeah, but centorian? Sounds like it's a 100 years old.

Also sounds like it belongs on Battlestar Galactica!

My money is on us getting EXACTLY the car that is sent to Saudi, in form and name. Why retool for a new hood (I know, they did it for the G8...)?

Panzer Leader
11-30-2010, 01:41 PM
HA HA, thought I was serious about CENTORIAN. Hey wait a minute, Chevy Galactica has a ring to it.

jcmGT
11-30-2010, 02:15 PM
DR, please at least be consistent in your opinions
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc350/jcmal_62/69novass019.jpg

Savage-wp
12-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Here in South Africa and in the middle east it is called a Chevrolet lumina S for the V6 model and a lumina SS for the V8 model. it would make sense to use the same naming.

SRG963
12-01-2010, 01:28 PM
G8.1

-Ray-
12-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Here in South Africa and in the middle east it is called a Chevrolet lumina S for the V6 model and a lumina SS for the V8 model. it would make sense to use the same naming.

The one thing we know here in the State's, is that GM doesn't always make a lot of sense.

Savage-wp
12-02-2010, 01:34 AM
The one thing we know here in the State's, is that GM doesn't always make a lot of sense.

It's not just GM in the states. Most of the automotive manufacturers don't make a lot of sense. I supply to the automotive industry here, and they make some odd business decisions.

travis gore
12-02-2010, 02:11 AM

I agree,but some are saying it will be called a Chevelle. Blasphemy

Panzer Leader
12-02-2010, 06:13 AM
OK lets start thinking and naming some possible names for this car, try not to use same ones twice.

Chevy - Constelation

black magic
12-02-2010, 07:24 AM
OK lets start thinking and naming some possible names for this car, try not to use same ones twice.

Chevy - Constelation

Hmm... too close to constipation. It's like naming a kid. Will he get picked on because of his name? ha! With that said, my suggestions aren't exactly great: Chevy Hammer or Chevy C8 (got real creative on that one)

Rayvan
12-02-2010, 10:15 AM
The new Chevy "Pontiac G8" :)

jonnynadeau
12-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Chevy Spearhead!
Chevy Caprice!
Chevy Phoenix

Eidolon
12-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Some of the service advisors around the Hendrick (formerly) Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealership I go to were saying it would be the Impala.

SRG963
12-06-2010, 05:14 AM
Naming a new model an old model name is just wrong IMO.

black magic
12-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Naming a new model an old model name is just wrong IMO.

So the Camaro, GTO, Challenger, Impalla and Charger are wrong? All of those cars were out of production at one time or another. Although I like the idea of the Chevelle name, I wouldn't mind if it was an all new name as long as it wasn't some mamby pamby name like Cruse or Cobalt (yes, I know some Cobalts are B.A., but the name does suck).

jonnynadeau
12-06-2010, 07:32 AM
So the Camaro, GTO, Challenger, Impalla and Charger are wrong? All of those cars were out of production at one time or another. Although I like the idea of the Chevelle name, I wouldn't mind if it was an all new name as long as it wasn't some mamby pamby name like Cruse or Cobalt (yes, I know some Cobalts are B.A., but the name does suck).

I agree, GM should look to the future for inspiration, just learn from the past and don't dwell on it. Holden has a great platform that is innovative and fresh, the build great cars GM/Holden.

Camaro, is a great car Inspired by a classic, thats OK, but don't call just any four door car with a big motor an Impala or Caprice, Find another GREAT name no one will ever forget!

SRG963
12-06-2010, 07:38 AM
So the Camaro, GTO, Challenger, Impalla and Charger are wrong?

lol, That isn't what I meant.

SRG963
12-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Camaro, is a great car Inspired by a classic, thats OK, but don't call just any four door car with a big motor an Impala or Caprice, Find another GREAT name no one will ever forget!

That's what I meant.

r33pwrd
12-06-2010, 08:31 AM

No drivetrain "clunk"
Bluetooth
Auto Trans Dipstick
Improved Audio
Auto dimming Mirror
Full size spare option

dont forget the basics... Decent paint should be #1 on their list! IMO in 5 years all the non repainted G8's are going to look like crap with this paint (hell mine looked pretty bad after only a year)

Tweaky
12-06-2010, 11:40 AM
The new Camaro is just a modified VE/Zeta, just as this new thing will be, albeit with less redesign, as they do not need to chop two doors out.

And if they name it Impala, they aren't missing any years, it just happens to be an all-new design (for that nameplate). Not like the GTO where it missed 30 years between models. This would more in line with (and fixing of) 1988 when they went to the W platform and turned the Grand Prix into a FWD slug.

black magic
12-06-2010, 12:01 PM
That's what I meant.

Gotcha. I think we can all agree that we don't want Chevy bastardizing ANY of their names or brands.... Mercury Cougar comes to mind and IMO even the new Regal.

r33pwrd
12-06-2010, 01:28 PM
And if they name it Impala, they aren't missing any years, it just happens to be an all-new design (for that nameplate). Not like the GTO where it missed 30 years between models. This would more in line with (and fixing of) 1988 when they went to the W platform and turned the Grand Prix into a FWD slug.

I think the Impala name would be the only past name I would put on the car... when I think of impala I think of 4 door bigger car with a V8... everthing the G8 is or was.

pontiac4life
12-07-2010, 07:07 PM
I didnt get a chnace to read the whole thread, but did any suggest that they simply call it a holden w.e? Im rather fond of the logo and line up. Its an australian car. Give credit where credit is due.....

SRG963
12-14-2010, 09:53 AM
According to several sources a rebadged G8 (known as the Holden Commodore in Australia) will be coming back to the US as early as the 2012 model year. Those very same sources report that the proposed model name will be - I can't believe it - the Chevelle. On the one hand you would think that GM would have learned from the response that the 2004-2006 GTO received, but on the other hand its latest model names aren't exactly iconic. While GM would like to draw upon its rich history to create some sort of nostalgia that would in turn boost sales for the new four-door, is it worth angering its loyal fans by using the name on a car that is not even a vague attempt at recreating the legendary muscle car?

My take: the current Malibu and the Impala are almost the same car. Make this the new Impala with three engine choices – 3.6L V-6, 5.3 or 6.0L V-8 and 6.2L V-8 – with the latter being the high performance (SS) model. Seems simple enough, and will definitely make the 94-96 Impala crowd happy that they have a RWD V-8 again. Plus with the G8-based Caprice already on the way for Police duty, there would definitely be a nice sense of symmetry (with the 90s models).

http://blogs.gmhightechperformance.com/6697814/editorials/new-chevelle/index.html

Darkflow
12-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Im not really liking it all that much, G8 still looks waaayyy better to me. I know its just a photoshopped picture, but i guess what hurts it for me, is the "camaro" look it has to it with the hood and the wheels. I mean, the wheels look good on it. Just as they do on G8's, but its a new car. Come up with its own set of wheels, and give the Maro wheels as an option from the dealer.....

The hood hurts it for me too, mainly because of the slot opening it has. Looks out of place to me, but i like the cowl style hood though. GM really lost something when ditching Pontiac & the G8, bring it back!!!

wreckwriter
12-14-2010, 07:30 PM
I actually like it. I'm sorta cool with using the Chevelle name but sorta not. Personally feel Chevy G8 is the best option.

Darkflow
12-14-2010, 09:25 PM
I havent gone through all the pages in here, but a moderator on ls1tech.com brought up a good point. The Lumina/Caprice's are already built in left-hand side drive and sold as Chevrolet's in the Middle East. Would make sense for GM to just bring those over and slap a new name and small changes on it. I completely forgot about the Lumina/Caprices.

RamJet
12-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Let's see, if we go with Chevy's normal naming pattern, it must start with a "C", except for the Volt & Aveo. Cruze, Cobalt, Camaro, Corvette, Caprice, etc.

Clinch Curse Cannibal

Cist Cuss Crypt

Cerver Cleaver Chisel

Crusher Callous Clubsport

Centurion Ceight Concubine

Citadel Cilencer Crucibal

Ceptor CR8 CERV 8

Some sorta serious, some obviously not so much.
If they broke away from the "C" names, then what?

Valhalla SS

GRX Predator

Bristol Laguna

Okay, next?

VegasNate
01-03-2011, 08:55 PM
The Chevy " doppelgänger "

Crazy Paul
01-04-2011, 02:35 AM
I completely forgot about the Lumina/Caprices.

Closer to home.
Chevrolet Omega in Brazil.
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/50768/holden-commodore-series-ii-exports-to-brazil-announced

jab
01-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Sweet looking ride!

ls3gxphouston
01-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Crazy how much different the interior appears with just a color change.

Jeff@Bohnman's Electronics
01-09-2011, 06:23 AM
Do Want. I even like the yellow

I'd like it even more as a 2 door :)