PDA

View Full Version : whats the difference???

l3gofr3ak
12-03-2008, 03:12 AM
lord knows im not the smartest guy and certaintly not the smartest when it comes to parts for a car.. but im learning and thats what counts right... so whats the difference?

Axle back
Cat-back
Ported manifolds
Shorty headers
Hi-Flow cats
Long Tubes
Electronic cut-outs
and so on...(you can add any others that i forgot)

also, H-pipes are shaped like an H, X-pipes like an X, straight pipes straight...whats the beneficial factor on each style? whats the difference?

what setup can make the most amount of HP and Torque? what costs more?
and whats the difference between brands?
magnaflow, flowmaster(30,40,44,50,60,70,80...), borla, bullit, corsa, Gibson, Bassani, Edelbrock, JBA,Doug Thorley...etc you get the idea...

thanks for the help..
Trevor

-Ray-
12-03-2008, 03:47 AM
That's a lot of questions to answer.
Keep reading the forums, there are answers to all your questions.
I'll answer 1. Axle back means the mufflers from the axle back. They bolt on the the area right behind the rear axle.

SRG963
12-03-2008, 04:42 AM
I'll grab #2, #5 and #8?....Catback is a exhaust system that runs from your existing OEM cats all the way back to the exhaust tips. Hi-Flow Cats are exactly that, much more air moves threw the aftermarket system than the OEM. X pipe's are better than H pipes IMO. A X pipe would replace the stock center muff that's in the middle of the origional cat back system and is included with many aftermarket cat back systems.

Man, you ask a lot of questions for one post :)

SRG963
12-03-2008, 04:46 AM
what setup can make the most amount of HP and Torque? what costs more?

Long tubes to aftermarket cat back (including X pipe) will be the best exhaust setup for adding HP

l3gofr3ak
12-03-2008, 04:55 AM
sorry for asking so many questions all at once. once i figured out my first question i thought of more and well.. it lead to this post of alot of questions.... but i do apreciate your help.

99-LS1-SS
12-03-2008, 04:55 AM
I'll take long tubes vs shorties.

Here is a good example of the long tube headers compared to the stock exhaust manifold. Notice the near 90 degree bend coming from the manifold going into the catalytic converter. (long tube is the bottom of the two)
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/DSC03856.jpg

Here is a picture of long tube with the Y-pipe attached to them. Notice the high flow catalytic converters in the Y-pipe.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u3/jdhawk93/ARHheadersleftside.jpg

Here is a picture of some shorties. Shorties are designed to work with your stock catalytic converters and are usually legal in all 50 states. They don't flow as well as long tubes but they flow better than the stock manifolds.
http://www.autoworksracing.com/thorley%20shortys.jpg

p71
12-03-2008, 05:02 AM
shorty headers... headers (the first part of the exhaust where it exits the engine) that take up the same amount of space as the stock exhaust manifolds and so can be bolted to the stock cats (catalytic converters)

Long tubes... much longer headers that replace the stock exhaust manifold and usually the cat and first couple of feet after the catalytic converter.

Electronic cut out... essentially a switch operated valve that diverts all the exhaust gasses out a hole in the exhaust that comes before a major restriction (usually the mufflers)... allows you to go from an illegally loud but very good flowing exhaust to one that meets sound requirements but flows less well at the flip of a switch.

Axle back... replace the exhaustr from the axle back... essentially the mufflers and tips and a very short length of pipe.

Ported manifold... actually porting and polishing in general is smoothing out the passages through which the air travels through your engine... essentially think of it as smooting out the kinks in a hose so that the air can flow better... in this case it is doing it to the intake or exhaust manifold depending on context.

SRG963
12-03-2008, 07:00 AM
and whats the difference between brands?
magnaflow, flowmaster(30,40,44,50,60,70,80...), borla, bullit, corsa, Gibson, Bassani, Edelbrock, JBA,Doug Thorley...etc you get the idea...

thanks for the help..
Trevor

Ok, this may be the end....

Just like anything, it's up to the owner to decide what sound and volume level they like or are comfortable with. I shoot for stealthy, so changing the cats to some hi-flow ones are all that I will be doing.

Best bet is to search around for some sound clips and find out what you like. Best advise I can give is be aware of Drone issues caused by the AFM.

bwooten492
12-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Ok, this may be the end....

Just like anything, it's up to the owner to decide what sound and volume level they like or are comfortable with. I shoot for stealthy, so changing the cats to some hi-flow ones are all that I will be doing.

Best bet is to search around for some sound clips and find out what you like. Best advise I can give is be aware of Drone issues caused by the AFM.

The OP has a V6. They wouldn't have AFM.

SRG963
12-03-2008, 11:59 AM
The OP has a V6. They wouldn't have AFM.

I didn't even notice that.....

Bet he's wondering what in the hell AFM is LOL

bwooten492
12-03-2008, 12:04 PM

Haha Yeah. If I had a v6 I would either keep it stock or put a turbo on it or something... I wouldn't worry too much about power. That really wasn't its intended purpose.

l3gofr3ak
12-03-2008, 02:57 PM

Active Fuel Management. where the engine turns from 8cyl down to 4 cyl..right?
ok so the main difference in exauhst brand is sound. good to know.

do you think that if i bought headers for like say the V6 CTS,(same size/ model engine, that it will fit on my V6 G8?(seeing as they dont hae headers for our V6....yet...)

and i know some of you are wondering why i got the V6 but i told my dad i was getting a V8 and he sent me email after phone call after email.. and the dealership either had a V8 with no sun roof and Mag grey, or a hot white V6 With Sunroof, confo & sound, premium leather.. i like the white a little more than grey. plus the roof.. i love the V6 tho. plenty of power and already a speeding ticket... just not as good sound from the back.

SRG963
12-03-2008, 03:38 PM
...do you think that if i bought headers for like say the V6 CTS,(same size/ model engine, that it will fit on my V6 G8?(seeing as they dont hae headers for our V6....yet...)

and i know some of you are wondering why i got the V6 but i told my dad i was getting a V8 and he sent me email after phone call after email.. and the dealership either had a V8 with no sun roof and Mag grey, or a hot white V6 With Sunroof, confo & sound, premium leather.. i like the white a little more than grey. plus the roof.. i love the V6 tho. plenty of power and already a speeding ticket... just not as good sound from the back.

If it's sound you want, you should look for some used GT muffs. I believe they bolt right in place and might give you the sound you want. Probably pick some up for cheap. Or what I would do is get the SLP Loud mouth axle backs (straight pipes to the tip).

Here is an aftermarket 2.5" catback exhaust on a V6 in Oz -

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh213/MrMuffler/th_MiscExhaustPhotos217.jpg (http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh213/MrMuffler/?action=view&current=MiscExhaustPhotos217.flv)

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh213/MrMuffler/th_MiscExhaustPhotos218.jpg (http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh213/MrMuffler/?action=view&current=MiscExhaustPhotos218.flv)

bwooten492
12-03-2008, 04:56 PM
that does sound really good!

99-LS1-SS
12-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Yeah I agree. It's almost exotic sounding.