PDA

View Full Version : Trick exhaust!

jbradsh1
12-02-2008, 05:39 PM
OK. Here is the latest exhaust system for your consideration. Before you start laughing I want the chance to explain this idea so hold back on all outbursts!
1. install Kooks shorty headers with their high flow cats or some other brand that is equivilent i.e., will work with the stock cat-back.
2. cut out the mid muffler & the two bullet resonators
3. install the Magnaflow X pipes (the ones that come with either of their street cat-back systems).
4. after that, install Magnaflow dual inlet/outlet muffler part #11379 followed by two individual resonators part #14416. Connect with 2.5" pipes.
Starting with the X pipes you now have 2.5" piping all the way back to the stock muffs which eliminates the 2" piping between the mid muffler and the two resonators (bottleneck), not to mention eliminating all of the 2.25" piping that the factory system has. And you now have about the same sound as the stock exhaust, maybe slightly louder, but should not have drooooooooone.
You now have a very quiet system that puts out as much rwhp as the racing headers with stock muffs (Kook shorties + high flow cats = 15 rwhp and the essense of the Magnaflow cat-back = 13 rwhp which give you a grand total of 28 rwhp which is what racing headers put out I believe), assuming your engine is still stock, if not then all bets are off! Anyway, I'm going to be doing this mod during the next week and then take it to the strip to prove my theory (If I disprove it you won't ever hear another word about exhaust systems from me again!)
Jeff

Blackrider
12-02-2008, 05:44 PM
I would just go with the AR headers. By the time you price everything out, you'll probably be pretty close unless you're planning to do the work yourself.

wreckwriter
12-02-2008, 05:48 PM
No matter what you put behind them there's no way shorty headers are matching LTs. No way no how.

jbradsh1
12-02-2008, 05:57 PM
No matter what you put behind them there's no way shorty headers are matching LTs. No way no how.

On a modified motor I would agree, definitely. But with a stock motor, I dono. I'm going to pick out a nice coooooold night to run the car in the next few weeks!

GeorgeInNePa
12-02-2008, 06:00 PM
You want to do a cam in the future.

Sell the shorties to someone doing a twin turbo or someone from Cali.

Buy ARH or Kooks longtubes, install, re-tune, and enjoy.

jbradsh1
12-02-2008, 06:16 PM
You want to do a cam in the future.

Sell the shorties to someone doing a twin turbo or someone from Cali.

Buy ARH or Kooks longtubes, install, re-tune, and enjoy.

Yea, I really want to have the Livernois stage one cam package installed. No one has ever mentioned the fact that even with LTs you're still dumping exhaust from a 3" pipe into the factory 2.25" pipes just before the stock muffs, so isn't getting rid of the two main restrictions the real benefit, i.e., the 2" pipe between the resonators and the stock cats?

wreckwriter
12-02-2008, 06:25 PM
The biggest restriction is the 90 degree turn the cats make.

GeorgeInNePa
12-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Yea, I really want to have the Livernois stage one cam package installed. No one has ever mentioned the fact that even with LTs you're still dumping exhaust from a 3" pipe into the factory 2.25" pipes just before the stock muffs, so isn't getting rid of the two main restrictions the real benefit, i.e., the 2" pipe between the resonators and the stock cats?

The ARH system is 3" from the collector to the cats, 2.5" from the cats to the rear flanges.

ARH dynoed their system with and with-out the factory mufflers. The horse power gain with NOTHING after the rear flanges was 2 to 3hp.

Wreck is right, the biggest restriction is/are the factory cats.

Panther 2
12-02-2008, 07:08 PM
You just can't put rwhp numbers on a mismatched system you make up , it doesn't work like that. Wreck and George are right the factory cats and the 90 deg. bend from the factory header goin into the cat. are terrible.

R.Penguin
12-02-2008, 07:44 PM
If you really want to get some "feedback" post a video when you're done. :p

-Ray-
12-02-2008, 08:05 PM
if you really want to get some "feedback" post a video when you're done. :p

lol!

jbradsh1
12-03-2008, 06:03 AM
If you really want to get some "feedback" post a video when you're done. :p

Good idea! At the least, I will post a complete write-up that's not too long winded along with some comparison 1/4 mile times & speeds.

GXPaycheck
12-03-2008, 06:08 AM
Which gets rid of the drone, the shortys or the muffflers? I have heard that the headers alone help there.

Chewy
12-03-2008, 06:11 AM
To keep my motor as quiet as possible I plan on some high flow cats with my Magnaflow system and stock manifolds. If I wanted all out power LT's would be utilized.

Chris

jbradsh1
12-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Which gets rid of the drone, the shortys or the muffflers? I have heard that the headers alone help there.

Well, I can only tell ya that with my current set-up there is no drone, it's dead quiet at cruise and you have to give some throttle to hear any difference at all, then some growl comes into the picture the more throttle you give it.

jbradsh1
12-03-2008, 07:24 AM
To keep my motor as quiet as possible I plan on some high flow cats with my Magnaflow system and stock manifolds. If I wanted all out power LT's would be utilized.

Chris

Good idea. When I had the Kooks shorties plus their high flow cats installed at VMS this combo gave a 15 rwhp improvement with no other mods. Probably most of that gain was due to replacing the stock cats with high flows. But now I want to get the Mangaflow cat back street system minus the axle back set-up. That will give the benefits of their X pipe plus 2.5" diameter pipes going from the cats to the stock axle back muffler set-up. Having a hard time just ordering the Magnaflow street cat back system minus the axle back part of the system. Any help would be appreciated.

Chewy
12-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Good idea. When I had the Kooks shorties plus their high flow cats installed at VMS this combo gave a 15 rwhp improvement with no other mods. Probably most of that gain was due to replacing the stock cats with high flows. But now I want to get the Mangaflow cat back street system minus the axle back set-up. That will give the benefits of their X pipe plus 2.5" diameter pipes going from the cats to the stock axle back muffler set-up. Having a hard time just ordering the Magnaflow street cat back system minus the axle back part of the system. Any help would be appreciated.

OK you do realize that the MF full system doesn't really utilize the cat back idea per say right? They aren't bolt on like the stockers. They are slip fit and that is in front of the axle and not behind like the stockers.

Chris

jbradsh1
12-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Forgetaboutit! Magnaflow won't break up one of their street cat-back kits which means I'd have to sell the axle back part myself (about 60% of the cost of the entire system is the axle back part). So, it's just not worth the effort.
So when I have the cam package done I reckon I'll have to bite the bullet and get a LT system. OK, OK, I know you'all can't believe what you're hearing but hold the applause please I'm not quite finished with my dissertation yet!
I guess I'll go with the Kooks system because I like the fact that they allow you to keep the flexible connector to the stock muffs.
Anyone want a Kooks shorty system I'll be ready to do this come springtime:poof:.