PDA

View Full Version : For you paint gurus

Boefadeez
12-02-2008, 12:36 PM
The dealership I purchased my car from installs pin-stripes and door liner/edge-guard things (whatever the hell they are called) on any car that wasn't ordered for a specific customer. I want to remove all that crap.
1. Is there anything I should worry about?

2. I was just going to heat the stuff up the pull it off. Will this work?

3. Do you think there will be glue/adhesive still on the paint? If so, does anybody have any suggestions for getting rid of it?

Thanks in advance for any help

GRRRR8
12-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Heat gun and fishing line are your friend.

Boefadeez
12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Will a hair-dryer work?

wreckwriter
12-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Will a hair-dryer work?

Yes.

99-LS1-SS
12-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Are the pin stripes painted or decals? If decals you can go to a body shop and they'll have a tool that literally erases the stripes. It's like a giant eraser attached to a drill. It completely removes the pin stripping. At least my brother's body shop has one. I know they exist because I've helped him many times.

Chewy
12-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Pin stripes when new will come right off. Just heat and remove. 3M glue and adhesive remover on a microfiber towel works AMAZINGLY well at removing the adhesive. Then give her a good wax job and you're good to go!

The door edge guards should pull right off. They MAY leave a bit 'O glue behind which you can hit with the 3M product.

Good luck

rwdfan
12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Or, you could just put a vinyl roof on her, and go retro! Just make sure it's the type with the fake convertible ribs, so you can fool everyone.

:) :puke:

Boefadeez
12-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Pin stripes when new will come right off. Just heat and remove. 3M glue and adhesive remover on a microfiber towel works AMAZINGLY well at removing the adhesive. Then give her a good wax job and you're good to go!

The door edge guards should pull right off. They MAY leave a bit 'O glue behind which you can hit with the 3M product.

Good luck

Will Lowe's or Home Despot have the 3M product?

Or, you could just put a vinyl roof on her, and go retro! Just make sure it's the type with the fake convertible ribs, so you can fool everyone.

:) :puke:

I'm saving up for my shag carpet interior and side/rear window drapes first.

EDIT:
The dealer actually called me today and asked how everything was going. I told him the car was a blast but I was concerned about the tint they had applied (Again, when the car arrived) and that I wanted the aforementioned items removed. They're 120+ miles away, so I wanted to know if they could find someone closer to me to do the work under warranty. The kicker is the detailer fucking cut the pinstripes without pulling away from the car at the end, so I just noticed there is 3/4" razor mark at the end of both pin-stripes.

SRG963
12-03-2008, 05:17 AM
The dealership I purchased my car from installs pin-stripes and door liner/edge-guard things (whatever the hell they are called) on any car that wasn't ordered for a specific customer. I want to remove all that crap.

The pinstripes should just pull right off, not sure about the door edge guards. I pulled the stripes right off a year and a half old 97 GP with nothing but the darker black paint underneath :( Pull them off like you would painters tape, back against itself.

BTW, Cadillac has the best black paint, placed at twice the DPI as all the other GM brands (unless things have changed).

Panther 2
12-03-2008, 09:25 AM
You got to love the Retro look!

Steve
12-03-2008, 10:41 AM
whyyyyyyyyyyyyy dear god whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

seriously.. WHO in the right mind think pin stripes look good on ANY car??
Yuck... some dealers should be :spank:

Chewy
12-03-2008, 11:30 AM
whyyyyyyyyyyyyy dear god whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

seriously.. WHO in the right mind think pin stripes look good on ANY car??
Yuck... some dealers should be :spank:

Yeah I have to agree to a point. I have them on my pickup truck but down on the bottom to differentiat the lower silver color from the top white and are probably a half inch wide. They are NOT on the top though which I agree looks like poo on todays cars.

Boefadeez
12-04-2008, 06:52 PM
What should I use to start the removal of the pin stripes? I don't have enough fingernail to do it

todds87ss
12-06-2008, 05:38 AM
plastic putty knife or body filler applicator. Adhesive remover is available at WalMart

99-LS1-SS
12-06-2008, 05:40 AM
Yeah I have to agree to a point. I have them on my pickup truck but down on the bottom to differentiat the lower silver color from the top white and are probably a half inch wide. They are NOT on the top though which I agree looks like poo on todays cars.

I totally agree with Steve on this one. NO car should have pin stripes anymore. That is from the 80's.

Adam
12-06-2008, 06:30 AM
Be careful even with fishing line on the door guards. There is a good chance you will have fine scratch marks out the ass as you go all the way down the door to get the bump guard off. Even more so since it is in the doors groove. I would use a heat gun and pry with your hand. You can get a basic one from Big Lots for like $12.00 which will be 100 times better then waiting on a hair dryer. Also, get some good Mechanix or Craftsman gloves or you will not be able to grab hold of the moldings.

Good Luck!

Boefadeez
12-07-2008, 09:15 AM
So...I couldn't find the 3M remover. Is there anything else that will work? What type of material is the 3M glue & adhesive remover? Aerosol? Paste or liquid? I have some Zaino All-In-One, but that's it for cleaners. How much residue is really left?

GRRRR8
12-07-2008, 09:36 AM
91% alcohol is what I always use from any Walmart, grocery store etc. After any removal with any type of adhesive reover always rewax that area.

Boefadeez
12-07-2008, 09:42 AM
K. I'll Isopropyl the area after. On the heat gun, was the low setting enough? Would it be worth it to take pictures and do a write up?

GRRRR8
12-07-2008, 09:54 AM
By all means! The "Pontiac" and square GMs are very easy and the adhesive is minimal and cleans up easily. I can do a whole G8 in 1.5 hours with new badges perfect. It is easy, but when dealing with paint, PATIENCE is everything!

Boefadeez
12-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the help, Charlie. I removed the pin striping on the right rear quarter panel and hit it with GooGone. I can still see the "shadow of where the were. It looks like there's still a residue or something on the paint. I'm going to wash, clay, and All-In-One the areas when I get totally done. Hopefully it'll come out.