PDA

View Full Version : TCM update

UGotSmkd
12-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Does it apply to all 3 modes? I wasn't sure where to ask this question.

GRRRR8
12-02-2008, 09:17 AM
The VMS improves all 3. The new factory update takes care of the lag issues, but in no way improves it as the VMS does. Get the dealers latest update and then reflash with Vector.

UGotSmkd
12-02-2008, 10:27 AM
The VMS improves all 3. The new factory update takes care of the lag issues, but in no way improves it as the VMS does. Get the dealers latest update and then reflash with Vector.

Sorry, I meant the factory update for all 3. Yeah, I am waiting for the custom tune after the dealer updates my TCM. Since you are In Sugar Land, which dealer do you recommend that knows what they are doing?

-Ray-
12-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Charlie, this guy can hit you with a rock! LOL

GRRRR8
12-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Sorry, I meant the factory update for all 3. Yeah, I am waiting for the custom tune after the dealer updates my TCM. Since you are In Sugar Land, which dealer do you recommend that knows what they are doing?

Hey I am sorry I did not realize you were that close. I know Ernie Guzman on I-10 will do it with no issue they have done 2 for customers of mine. Where in Mo City do you live. I live off Dulles and work off 6 and Settlers Way.

UGotSmkd
12-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Hey I am sorry I did not realize you were that close. I know Ernie Guzman on I-10 will do it with no issue they have done 2 for customers of mine. Where in Mo City do you live. I live off Dulles and work off 6 and Settlers Way.

Alright, thanks! Now I just have to see if they are open Saturday's as that is the only time I can make it. I live in Quail Valley, and George in PA actually brought up this site to me and mentioned you lived and worked close by. Where do you work if you don't mind me asking?

GRRRR8
12-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Alright, thanks! Now I just have to see if they are open Saturday's as that is the only time I can make it. I live in Quail Valley, and George in PA actually brought up this site to me and mentioned you lived and worked close by. Where do you work if you don't mind me asking?

Sent you a PM earlier with my info.

UGotSmkd
12-02-2008, 06:42 PM
I just sent you one back. I didn't check the inbox until after I posted here, lol.

GRRRR8
12-02-2008, 06:54 PM
I just sent you one back. I didn't check the inbox until after I posted here, lol.

Already replied! When you get 2-300 PMs per week you gotta be fast! lol

GeorgeInNePa
12-02-2008, 07:34 PM

Sent you a PM earlier with my info.

I said, "You live in Mo.City? Have you seen a red G8 tearing around town?".

lol

UGotSmkd
12-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I could have sworn you referred me to here on the other forums.

GeorgeInNePa
12-02-2008, 09:05 PM
I could have sworn you referred me to here on the other forums.

Yes I did.

LS1Tech, right?

GeorgeInNePa
12-02-2008, 09:06 PM
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-g8-2008-2009/1025845-picked-up-yesterday.html

SRG963
12-03-2008, 04:56 AM
Alright, thanks! Now I just have to see if they are open Saturday's as that is the only time I can make it.

Typically the guys that plug you in for the updates work M-F. You may want to call before you drive down there. All the service guys around here only do the computer updates during the week. Just the basic service guys are there on the weekends for oil changes and such.

The update takes like 15 min and could probably do it right before they close during the week, or right when the open, make an appointment :)

UGotSmkd
12-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Yes I did.

LS1Tech, right?

Yep.

UGotSmkd
12-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Typically the guys that plug you in for the updates work M-F. You may want to call before you drive down there. All the service guys around here only do the computer updates during the week. Just the basic service guys are there on the weekends for oil changes and such.

The update takes like 15 min and could probably do it right before they close during the week, or right when the open, make an appointment :)

yeah I am going to call. The good thing is that their service dept. is open 8-5 on Sat. so I might get lucky. I just won't be able to make it M-F b/c of work, and since it is the end of the year, it is hard to get a vacation day.

SRG963
12-03-2008, 09:02 AM
yeah I am going to call. The good thing is that their service dept. is open 8-5 on Sat. so I might get lucky. I just won't be able to make it M-F b/c of work, and since it is the end of the year, it is hard to get a vacation day.

I hear ya on that one. I've got parts waiting for me at the dealership, but they will have to wait till next year :)

Good luck on Sat. I think there's only 1 or 2 guys that handle the computer upgrades at each dealership, and from what I've been told, they are typically M-F guys.

UGotSmkd
12-03-2008, 06:52 PM
I spoke to them and they said M-F is the best time in case they run into an issue and have to contact GM:confused: The good thing is that they said bring it in when the doors open, and they will shuttle me to work and then pick me up at lunch when it would be done. I have to say that is pretty cool because they actually offered to do it. I guess I am not used to dealing with dealerships. I avoid them when I have to, which is why I bought my G8 online.

cobrakid
12-04-2008, 06:13 AM
.....if we have a new 2009......do the factory updates NOT APPLY.......from what I am gathering the
improved factory software helps the 08s, but 09s are BETTER ???????

I just want a VMS tune ASAP.

thanks....

SRG963
12-04-2008, 06:56 AM
.....if we have a new 2009......do the factory updates NOT APPLY.......from what I am gathering the
improved factory software helps the 08s, but 09s are BETTER ???????

I just want a VMS tune ASAP.

thanks....

It only affects a small range of Vin numbers (which I dont have) but it's mostly 08's and the first run of 09's.

There was a large amount of throttle lag before my update. If your car goes when you mash the peddle, your good to go :) Mine would think about it, then go LOL

another way to tell is when you slow down to around 5 MPH, it should downshift into first gear for you. I think the old program held it in second which caused all the lag.

UGotSmkd
12-08-2008, 05:09 PM
I finally got it done today. From the trip home I could tell a difference. It seems a bit more responsive and smoother. I will take a cruise tonight and see if I can notice anything major. It still has a very small lag, but not as much as before the TCM update. I only drove it in normal mode though.

G8GT721
01-02-2009, 09:09 AM
I bought mine in April so im assuming i need the update so brought it in for the tcm update back in august but they told me the tech found nothing, and said its a normal property for our tranny and gave me a printout to shut me up. I ask the service desk guy can you look and see if theres any updates and he said it didn't show any or he couldn't i forget. So anyways, I plan on getting the car tuned at a local shop, do you guys think i should try again to get this update, or is it not necessary since im going with a tune?

#PIP4112G: Sag or Hesitation on Acceleration (Normal Operating Characteristics) - keywords 4l60e 4l65e 4l70e 6l80 6l90 - (Aug 15, 2008)

Subject: Sag or Hesitation on Acceleration (Normal Operating Characteristics)

Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT, Escalade ESV

2006-2008 Cadillac XLR, XLR-V

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2006-2008 Chevrolet Corvette

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

2008 Pontiac G8

Equipped With a Gasoline Engine and Automatic Transmission

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superceded to updated to remove models. Please discard PIP4112G.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment on a sag or hesitation when accelerating under the following conditions:

- When coasting with a closed throttle and then aggressively applying the throttle. Examples of this maneuver include a rolling stop or a lane change maneuver. In this type of maneuver, even though the accelerator is applied aggressively, the throttle blade is opened slowly for up to 0.7 seconds to help minimize driveline lash and clunking.

Also in a 6L80 or 6L90 (RPOs MYC or MYD) equipped vehicle when making a hard, complete stop with a closed throttle, immediately followed by an aggressive throttle opening the transmission downshifts may not be completed by the time the throttle is opened. As a result approximately 0.5 seconds of "zero" torque may be commanded to allow the shift to first gear to occur.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Both of the above conditions are a result of Torque Management and both of these conditions should be considered normal and no repairs should be attempted.

G8GT721
01-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jax GTO
Is getting the update a waste of time if your getting a tune?

Originally Posted by GRRRR8
No. Get the update then the tune. The tune is changing certain calibration tables and the update changes a whole other set of tables

found the answer when i looked in the TSB section, so ill just go complain that i still have same issue and found that theres an TSB #08-07-30-036

NYG8GT
01-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Ha, I got the same thing from one of the dealers around here. A printout with some lame bullshit about the TM kicking in, which is BULLSHIT. So I made an appt to take it to another place after talking to the service manager who seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say unlike the first place who didnt want to work with me at all. They said it was all updated, which I doubt it is because its a rental car and I cant see a rental being updated. We'll see next Wednesday what they found, keeping my fingers crossed!

G8GT721
01-02-2009, 01:35 PM
the worst part is it took them like 2hrs, and they probably just searched the computer and lied about checking the trans fluid, and i was to stupid to ask how he did it, and if he answered with checking the dipstick i would have flipped a shit

96Prix
01-02-2009, 09:25 PM
I got mine done today. I walked in with the TSB number and associated info and told them what the problem was. I expected a brush off, but given that I just bought the car from them last week they might have just decided to do what I wanted. I didn't mess around with it too much, but going WOT feels smoother in both normal and sport modes. The only thing I can compare it to is the PCM swap in my old GTP which added 3-1 and 4-2 skip shifts that the factory tunes would not permit; it's not a new transmission, but it feels like it's trying harder.

syP
01-04-2009, 11:45 PM
will this fix the little "buck" between the 2-3 gearchange during normal daily driving?

NYG8GT
01-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Probably not, there is another bulletin out for that problem that describes issues with the gear sets or clutches or some shit like that. This is more of a downshifting issues with the TCM programming, the 2-3 issues is more of a physical issues with the tranny itself from what I have read.

Chewy
01-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Get the new TCM factory update and then call Kirk at Vector and get the FXP cables and put his tune in the trans. It's less than 200 bucks and the difference it makes is UNBELIEVABLE!

The availability of the cables is pretty good this time of year. Do it now!

Chris

UGotSmkd
01-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Probably not, there is another bulletin out for that problem that describes issues with the gear sets or clutches or some shit like that. This is more of a downshifting issues with the TCM programming, the 2-3 issues is more of a physical issues with the tranny itself from what I have read.

A newer bulletin?

UGotSmkd
01-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Get the new TCM factory update and then call Kirk at Vector and get the FXP cables and put his tune in it. It's less than 200 bucks and the difference it makes is UNBELIEVABLE!

The availability of the cables is pretty good this time of year. Do it now!

Chris

That's assuming you are adding mods to an already VMS tuned car?

Chewy
01-05-2009, 12:59 PM
That's assuming you are adding mods to an already VMS tuned car?

NOPE!

ANY G8GT. Stock or otherwise! The TCM is a separate computer. I ran with a tuned trans for a few days before getting the new ECM for it. It made A HUGE difference in performance. I WAS a skeptic too!

wreckwriter
01-05-2009, 01:00 PM
TCM tune is probably the biggest "feelable" impact of any mod I've done.

Chewy
01-05-2009, 01:06 PM
TCM tune is probably the biggest "feelable" impact of any mod I've done.

Agreed to this day it WAS the biggest I could "feel" which makes sense as the trans shifting is a BIG part of the forward motion feel.

WELL worth the money.

Even if you want a CUSTOM dyno tune on the engine I would STILL do Vectors tune on the transmission due to the TQ management control he has.

That being said, I LOVE what I got!

Blown396
02-10-2009, 09:11 AM
I just got the factory update on my GT and it made a world of difference. Does the Vector tune really make that much of an improvement? If so, Im really gonna have to start saving for the Vector tune!

EB

SRG963
02-10-2009, 09:17 AM
I just got the factory update on my GT and it made a world of difference. Does the Vector tune really make that much of an improvement? If so, Im really gonna have to start saving for the Vector tune!

EB

Tuning really wakes these cars up :)