PDA

View Full Version : Premium octane tune

UGotSmkd
12-01-2008, 07:09 PM
With gas prices expected to possibly go back to where they were by 3rd quarter '09, is there a tune for both regular and premium fuel?

-Ray-
12-01-2008, 07:12 PM
There's no current method of switching between different octanes unless you want to swap out the ECM. It really only takes a few minutes, but I got better mileage with a 93 tune. Offsetting the difference in price per gallon.

UGotSmkd
12-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Well, I am definitely getting a tune, so I have no choice there. With my Mustang, I had the choice of doing a tune for both octanes or just one. I went ahead and tuned it to 93 octane and did not really suffer in mpg, just $$$$ at the pump. Atleast both of my cars have approximately the same capacity fuel tank, so when I do fill up, it won't be a shocker.

Chewy
12-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Well, I am definitely getting a tune, so I have no choice there. With my Mustang, I had the choice of doing a tune for both octanes or just one. I went ahead and tuned it to 93 octane and did not really suffer in mpg, just $$$$ at the pump. Atleast both of my cars have approximately the same capacity fuel tank, so when I do fill up, it won't be a shocker.

There are some companies coming out with hand tuners which may allow you this luxury. The difference in cost between premium and low per year is minimal.

johnh
12-04-2008, 06:33 AM
Well laptop based tuners like HP Tuners can do that....personally I'd just go with the 93 Octane..fuel difference isn't much and you'll get more power with the tune and likely better mpgs too.

GRRRR8
12-04-2008, 07:47 AM
A good 93 tune will produce better MPGs then you get stock.