PDA

View Full Version : Corsa/ G8 Bumper Totaled in Red-Light Crash!!!

soup070
11-01-2010, 09:42 PM
She Still Survives:

Tonight as my wife was driving through town to head to work at the hospital for night shift she was stop at a red-light when a Toyota Minivan ran the light. It was raining but the van was at full speed 50mph, airbag depolyed and the van had to be towed away from the intersection. She called me to tell me someone just rearended her at the light and the guy was still sitting at the light when I pulled up 10min later. I think he either fell asleep (told my wife "It was a long day")or just unaware. He had a child in the back but he seamed ok, everyone walked away - but shook up.

Well this guy ran the red-light and ran up under the bumper and tore down the tabs, ripped off the pas. side Corsa exhaust while folding up the drivers side up by the cat. *%^# this will be our third time in the shop, second time with the bumper. Also in the damage was the spare tire fiberglass wheel well cracked (GT spare probably keep the lower part of the trunk from folding in), crush bar attached to the frame, rear facia, and lower body damage below truck lid. But believe this trunk opens and locks, no scraches (right now seen) above bumper - no trunk damage. My guess $2500 damage. He has the same insurance, hopefully they get it all fixed??? I tell you this it better be back the way it was Corsa, Bumper, maybe GXP facia and all together again !!!!!!!!

Questions: Will his insurance company cover everything aftermarket exhaust and new bumper? Will I beable to get a replacement Corsa upper right bend to cat. and pas. muffler/rear inlet pipe? Never had anyone hit me that has claimed it. :(

WickedMom
11-02-2010, 02:38 AM
I've had insurance adjusters call me at Magnacharger inquiring about part pricing. One was even a total loss and they were adding the blower cost to the value :) but that customer has a extra rider for his mods...

I believe, as long as it is not your own insurance & they can verify the aftermarket parts on the car, you should be put back to the way it was the minute before the wreck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laserred
11-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Damn that sucks, glad your wife and that other guy n his kid are ok..... but it seems to reinforce the "voodoo" that our G8s are doomed after they have been wrecked once. Think about it- other than the totaled ones, how many people on here have had MULTIPLE trips to the body shop for freak accidents???

mi04se1
11-02-2010, 06:21 AM
I had different tires on my previous car and the insurance paid for them. Just tell your write up advisor at the bodyshop about your exhaust.

Seattle09GT
11-02-2010, 07:09 AM
She Still Survives:

Tonight as my wife was driving through town to head to work at the hospital for night shift she was stop at a red-light when a Toyota Minivan ran the light. It was raining but the van was at full speed 50mph, airbag depolyed and the van had to be towed away from the intersection. She called me to tell me someone just rearended her at the light and the guy was still sitting at the light when I pulled up 10min later. I think he either fell asleep (told my wife "It was a long day")or just unaware. He had a child in the back but he seamed ok, everyone walked away - but shook up.

Well this guy ran the red-light and ran up under the bumper and tore down the tabs, ripped off the pas. side Corsa exhaust while folding up the drivers side up by the cat. *%^# this will be our third time in the shop, second time with the bumper. Also in the damage was the spare tire fiberglass wheel well cracked (GT spare probably keep the lower part of the trunk from folding in), crush bar attached to the frame, rear facia, and lower body damage below truck lid. But believe this trunk opens and locks, no scraches (right now seen) above bumper - no trunk damage. My guess $2500 damage. He has the same insurance, hopefully they get it all fixed??? I tell you this it better be back the way it was Corsa, Bumper, maybe GXP facia and all together again !!!!!!!!

Questions: Will his insurance company cover everything aftermarket exhaust and new bumper? Will I beable to get a replacement Corsa upper right bend to cat. and pas. muffler/rear inlet pipe? Never had anyone hit me that has claimed it. :(

I had a heavily customized car stolen a few years ago and had to deal with insurance on the loss. If it is a factory part, or a direct replacement for a factory part permanently attached to the vehicle in its factory location, your policy should cover at 100% (need to read the fine print, but most policies are like this). So if you took out the speakers in your doors and replaced them with better speakers in the factory location and have a receipt to prove it - 100% covered with no rider, unless they have a dollar restriction on electronic upgrades. A supercharger, although permanently attached is not a "factory OEM option" and so most insurance companies will require a rider to cover that. If you have a custom sub box in your trunk, not covered without a rider because it isn't in the stock location. A GXP diffuser on the rear would likely be covered (as long as you have receipt) as it is a factory option permanently attached. Ya, its a rat maze of rules.

Certain items "permanently" attached to the vehicle in the factory location may still require a rider. $10,000 spinners may not be covered in the wheel wells (again, you need to read the fine print). Specific to your question, the exhaust should be covered as it is a factory replacement, permanently attached to the vehicle.

On the questions of the bumper, if the bumper you want to go with costs the same or is less, they will cover 100%, if the cost is more you will have to pay for the difference.

So lets say to replace the bumper cover with the same one on your G8 costs $500 (simple math is easy) and the one you want to get is $750. You will have to pay the $250 difference. On the other hand if the one you want costs $250 then you don't have to pay nothing (but you don't get a check for $250 either).

If you ever wanted to install a backup camera or the ultrasonic parking assist, while its all apart this is the time to do it.

The most important thing is that no one was hurt, and the person at fault has taken responsibility for the accident.

Greg@PacePerformance
11-02-2010, 07:14 AM
OEM exhaust costs more than the Corsa. Just get the cash ;)

edmanet
11-02-2010, 03:31 PM
You should easily get everything replaced.

A stock muffler is $794 and the stock intermediate pipe is over $1600[Entire Corsa exhaust is less than 2 stock mufflers]. And the spare tire well is $324 and impact bar is about $220. I believe your estimate of $2500 is low more than likely you'll be around $5000. Don't ask me how I how all these prices by hard.

Glad everyone is ok.

soup070
11-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Just got back the estimate from my wife, the adjustar stoped by and looked over the car and my wife brought the recipt for the exhaust and the running total comes to $3815 with 20hrs of work. Yah, when hte officer stoped by this morning to get my wifes phone number, he stated that the guy was arrested last night for DWI. There are just some people out there!!! He could have really cause somepeople to get hurt, he could have pushed the car into oncoming traffic. "Know when to say when."

PS Can someone tell me how to post pics. I took some pic last night at the scene to show you who won this battle (Toyota minivan 0 = G8 1, in real crash test results). Just awefull sad.

warbird
11-03-2010, 05:55 PM
I bought mine on October 31st 2009, on December 11th with less than 700 miles on it (most of which were put on by dealer diagnosing the dreaded wheel shake/vibration) a young woman in a Red Toyota Minivan rearended me while stopped at a redlight, did almost the exact same damage as soup070 had. Crushed the front of the minivan, State Trooper told us both we could drive away after taking report, I explained that in my case i wasnt going to drive away with the back end of the car draging behind me just to get pulled over, doubt the woman made it home as her radiator fluid was all over the road and hood was creased back to the windshield. Had dealer put on Corsa as it was cheaper than factory, had them put on GXP diffuser cost same as GT, towing company scrapped up the front end so it was replaced with GXP front facia/lip/fog light surrounds. repair to mine came to around $7500. Paint match ended up worse than factory on rear, disappointing considering I had it done at the local Caddy dealership. Apparently its a real b***** to replace the spare tire well. Might want to check the interior trunk trim where the latch is after they have made repairs, mine was cracked and didnt realize it till I made the adjustment to the amp.
Hope soup070's repairs go well.

RamJet
11-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Sorry to hear about the damage, glad Mrs Soup is okay. Hope everything gets fixed to your satisfaction.

As for posting pics, you can save them to your computer, then when posting go advanced, browse and find your pics, upload, and voila! You may have to resize them, but that's usually just a right click away.
I hope this helps, and I hope it's correct! Haha.

soup070
11-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Here are a couple pics., of our car and the van that hit my wife. The pic doesn't look as bad as the bumper does in person, but looks a whole lot better than the other party. I guess our car went airborn by several feet to smash in his hood.

-Ray-
11-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Wow, your G8 kicked that vans ass!

MaxPower
11-05-2010, 05:18 AM
Guy should be hung up by his feet at the intersection with a sign that reads: "I drove drunk with my KID in the car. Please throw things at me."

Glad everyone was OK. Most concerned that he had a kid in the van and his night could have been even worse :(

MyGrayG8
11-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Looks like the G8 got the better of this van.

dv327
11-13-2010, 01:10 PM
soup070---- check your personal messages!!!

jaxredg8
11-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Glad to hear everyone is ok. And yeah, your G8 definitely whooped ass!!