PDA

View Full Version : Atco, NJ- 11/28/2008

GeorgeInNePa
11-29-2008, 09:16 AM
I took a ride on Friday night down to Atco. It's about a 2.5 hour ride, but from what I've seen, it's normally worth running there.

When I got there, I went through Tech and pulled up under a light in the pits. I air'd down the rears to 28lbs and let it cool for a few minutes while I looked for Panther 2.

I spotted him going through the pits, on the way to the lanes, so I followed him. I met up with him and we shot the shit for a few minutes, then it was time for a run.

The car was still at 199 degrees and the air temp was right around 40. At Atco there is no way to avoid the water, so I did a quick burn-out just to dry them off. I staged at brought it up to 2000rpm. I let off the brake and gently rolled into the gas.

Obviously I was too gentle, the 60ft was 2.011 and not a hint of spin. It could have taken more throttle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/GeorgeInNePa/G8/12841.jpg

After this Panther 2 (Lee) offered me the use of his MT drag radials. I can't thank him enough for this. We swapped them out and I got back in the lanes.

I did a nice burn out and staged at about 189degrees on the DashHawk. the DRs were at 24lbs. I left at 2000rpm, but instead of rolling into the throttle, I took my left foot off the brake and just put the gas to the floor in one motion.

It did spin a bit for the first car length or so.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/GeorgeInNePa/G8/12560.jpg

Now, notice how the MPH is almost the same as the 12.8 run? That's all I could see when I got the slip. I had a few choice words to say until I turned the dome light on. Then I started yelling!

Panther 2 and I talked a bit after that run and we decided to drop the pressure 4lbs and bring the rpm up on the next run and go for a .49

By this time it's starting to get cold. It's 36degrees and the track isn't getting any better, so instead of waiting too long I got back in the lanes. The car was 181degrees in the stage beams.

I raised the rpm to 2400 to 2500 and hit the gas. I've never had wheel hop on dry pavement before. Well, I had it in spades!

It hopped through 1st, as it was bouncing, all I could think was, "well, there goes my 40".

I never thought I'd be disappointed in a 12.64.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/GeorgeInNePa/G8/12640.jpg

At that point I decided that was enough, and we got the jack out and put my street tires back on.

There was a 40 in the car, I have no doubt about it. Varying the air-pressure and launch rpm/technique would have put the car into the 40s, but it was getting late and cold and I had a 2.5hr ride ahead of me.

I have a lot of thoughts about the car now and will post them in the next post, but now I have to feed Thing 1 and Thing 2 before they eat one of the cats.

;)

GeorgeInNePa
11-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Ok, everyone has fed, lol.

As I was saying, there was definitely a 40 in the car. I seriously think that there is a 30 in there, with-out a cam. Hear me out.

I currently weigh in at 270, the pic I posted in the Lounge showed me at 185. If I get down to 195-200, there is .05 or so. So my fat ass is going on a diet, I'll probably go back on a modified Atkins. That's what I did before and it worked. I just have to stop drinking so much beer and eating a tray of pizza at a shot.

The launch rpm/technique and DR air pressure will be good for another .05-.07, it will just take bit of experimenting.

Next, I'm going to have the TB ported and polished and have the intake ported and I'm going to buy a WB O2. Then do a bit of data-logging and have Kirk tweak the tune a bit.

I am setting a goal for the Spring, 12.37 to 12.39 is my goal, no cam.

Comments? Thoughts? Laughter?

;)

(I'm still this close >< to buying a 3.27 diff.)

Panther 2
11-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Geo. , buy the gear and shot for the 20s ,Never ,Never stop drink'in beer it's nectar of the gods . It was a pleasure meeting you glad I could help out!

wreckwriter
11-29-2008, 11:12 AM
I can see a 30 with the gear.

GeorgeInNePa
11-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Geo. , buy the gear and shot for the 20s ,Never ,Never stop drink'in beer it's nectar of the gods . It was a pleasure meeting you glad I could help out!

Speaking of beer, next time I come out there, we have to go for a beer or two. I owe you.

GRRRR8
11-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Well I have felt since my 12.70 that a 12.25 was achievable, not easy, but doable. It will take a 60fter in the 1.60 range for sure, temps in the 40s-50s and the car must have an air fuel ratio of about 12.8. Much richer then that will kill ETs on a N/A car. Example my old Mach 1 with my buddy driving was ripping off 12.60s with a 1.65 60fter 12.4 A/F, now with a 12.9 A/F it 60s the same , but runs 12.33. Looking at your slips, a 1.68 will get you a low 40, or a 1.6 will get you in the 30s and tuning to the max for efficiency should be able to go 12.25 to 12.30. I wish I had the time to go to prove this theory, but we WILL all know by spring if I was right or not. Awesome job George! With your driving ability and all our conversations it shows on the slips.

GeorgeInNePa
11-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Here's a tidbit I forgot to mention.

I kept the car in 3rd for all the runs. I kept my foot in it past the ET clock. I never hit the limiter.

wreckwriter
11-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Here's a tidbit I forgot to mention.

I kept the car in 3rd for all the runs. I kept my foot in it past the ET clock. I never hit the limiter.

were you hitting it on previous runs with your stock tires? I hit it every time just past the lights.

GeorgeInNePa
11-29-2008, 11:27 AM
were you hitting it on previous runs with your stock tires? I hit it every time just past the lights.

I was hitting it before, but now the limiter is at 6400 where I was at 6200 the last time I went to the strip.

wreckwriter
11-29-2008, 11:31 AM
I need to test mine, not sure where it is.

-Ray-
11-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Congratulations George. Musta been fun!

Blackdevil77
11-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Nice runs George! Maybe ill give Atco a try in the spring when i head back to the track. Just one question though.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/GeorgeInNePa/G8/12560.jpg
Who the hell were you up against here, my grandma? lol. The 1/4 speed is FAR less than your 1/8 speed lol

g8_795
11-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Nice runs guys. I need to find a good set of DR's. Looks like it helped quite a bit!!!! Damn, these cars are quick...

locrzn#92
11-29-2008, 05:52 PM
George, nice stuff and congrats.

Featherburner
11-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Nice runs George.

Panther 2
11-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Geo. 60 ' time keeps it off the limiter, I agree with Charlie,20s are possible but only with a good converter. Geo. could have went faster , the track went away.

GeorgeInNePa
11-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Geo. 60 ' time keeps it off the limiter, I agree with Charlie,20s are possible but only with a good converter. Geo. could have went faster , the track went away.

Next time out, I'm going to try your suggestion of flashing the converter from idle.

I remember that we used to run the L/SA Olds that way.

It will give me a place to start experimenting.

Panther 2
11-29-2008, 09:15 PM
F- body guys do this , some say they have got their best 60' doing this ?

GeorgeInNePa
11-29-2008, 09:30 PM
F- body guys do this , some say they have got their best 60' doing this ?

I just spent the last 2 or 3 hours over at LS1Tech, reading. lol

I saw a lot of posts saying exactly that. maybe it will help, maybe it won't, but might as well try it.

I'm going to be a mass of nerves all winter long...

Mike P
11-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Next time out, I'm going to try your suggestion of flashing the converter from idle.

I remember that we used to run the L/SA Olds that way.

It will give me a place to start experimenting.

George: If I haven't said it enough already, great times! :worthy:

But I have a question, about this launch technique you are talking about. (I've been checking out LS1 Tech a lot more myself). Question is: can you elaborate more on this "flashing the converter from idle launch technique"?

I kinda understand 'flashing'. Isn't it when you kind of press down on the gas pedal and your RPMs 'flash' up the RPM range, but you don't fully engage and go.

GeorgeInNePa
11-29-2008, 10:21 PM
George: If I haven't said it enough already, great times! :worthy:

But I have a question, about this launch technique you are talking about. (I've been checking out LS1 Tech a lot more myself). Question is: can you elaborate more on this "flashing the converter from idle launch technique"?

I kinda understand 'flashing'. Isn't it when you kind of press down on the gas pedal and your RPMs 'flash' up the RPM range, but you don't fully engage and go.

I just mean "leaving from idle". Just stand on the gas.

Instead of my normal, foot-brake to 2000rpm, then stand on the gas.

Some recommend giving it enough gas to take the slack out of the drive-line and suspension.

wreckwriter
11-30-2008, 05:33 AM
That';s how I generally do it. When I had the converter doing that would give a strong launch but lots of spin depending on the surface.

Panther 2
11-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Geo. to pass the winter go on e-bay and find a practice tree , this summer you'll have a fast car and be deadly on the light . Great combo to have!

Mike P
10-11-2009, 12:51 AM
This is a good thread George, I thought I'd bring it back.....

I went to the track today, didn't use drag radials, only the RSA's at 24-26 lbs of air pressure. I ran a couple of 12.6's, nothing better.....

It's plain and simple, the all seasons don't hook up when making great power + the 3200 torque converter at idle.

I'm putting the drag radials on next weekend 10/17 or 10/24 and going to Ubly again. There were some cool cars out there today.....

A stock new SHO running mid to high 14's hee hee..... That tune for those must do wonders, because that thing was slow.......

New 5th gen camaros running slow times....... :)

There was 1 other G8, I think his name is Lidio???

Was running low 13's with out Nitrous, and low 12's... like 12.1 with.....

GeorgeInNePa
10-11-2009, 03:35 AM
lol

Old thread.

I'm hoping to go to the track this week.

Shooting for the .40s or .30s depending on the air...

Devilish34
10-11-2009, 04:58 AM
lol

Old thread.

I'm hoping to go to the track this week.

Shooting for the .40s or .30s depending on the air...

Cecil should have good air Wednesday.

edmanet
10-11-2009, 05:35 AM

Yes it should be...Maybe I can get someone to drive me up to watch.

Devilish34
10-11-2009, 07:23 AM
Yes it should be...Maybe I can get someone to drive me up to watch. Get your son to bring that GTO up

Mike P
10-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Yes it should be...Maybe I can get someone to drive me up to watch.

Why not race? Where is the G8 Roy?

edmanet
10-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Why not race? Where is the G8 Roy?

Well since you ask......the G8 is fine. I went to the Drs two weeks ago and they found skin cancer on my head and wanted to take it off as soon as possible. I had surgery on THU and am still feeling really bad.

Good news is they got all the cancer. But man am I messed up. It looks like I was in a knife fight. There is a 5 inch cut on my neck from taking out lymph nodes, there is a 12 inch cut on my stomach from where they took a skin graft to put on my head. Then there's the top of my head.

GeorgeInNePa
10-11-2009, 07:18 PM

I'd love to, but I got confirmation of the pizza party today. Wednesday @ 6:30PM. So no track for me, have to celebrate with my son and the rest of the Football D Team.

GeorgeInNePa
10-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Well since you ask......the G8 is fine. I went to the Drs two weeks ago and they found skin cancer on my head and wanted to take it off as soon as possible. I had surgery on THU and am still feeling really bad.

Good news is they got all the cancer. But man am I messed up. It looks like I was in a knife fight. There is a 5 inch cut on my neck from taking out lymph nodes, there is a 12 inch cut on my stomach from where they took a skin graft to put on my head. Then there's the top of my head.

Ouch.

But glad they got it all and got it quick!

Devilish34
10-11-2009, 07:35 PM
I'd love to, but I got confirmation of the pizza party today. Wednesday @ 6:30PM. So no track for me, have to celebrate with my son and the rest of the Football D Team.

Somethings are more important enjoy the pizza

edmanet
10-12-2009, 05:58 AM
Ouch.

But glad they got it all and got it quick!

Thanks...

todds87ss
10-14-2009, 01:43 AM

Hope you will soon be back in the game. Glad to hear that the worst is past.

Mike P
10-14-2009, 06:50 AM

Roy:

Man, I just saw this! Please get well soon. I hope everything will be okay now with you.

I don't pray & go to church as much as I used to, but you'll definitely be in my thoughts & prayers.....

Take care man......

- Mike - :)

Mike P
10-14-2009, 06:57 AM

Somethings are more important enjoy the pizza

Yep, +1...... Have fun at the pizza party. I'm always down for pizza... :)