11-29-2008, 06:51 AM
No it belongs to a local guy here.

GeorgeInNePa
11-29-2008, 07:02 AM
Well, I'm envious of him then.

;)

Blackdevil77
11-29-2008, 07:51 AM
why the hell does that thing take air from the middle of the engine bay?

wreckwriter
11-29-2008, 07:53 AM
why the hell does that thing take air from the middle of the engine bay?

That's the $6000 question. I've yet to hear a good reason for the design. My guess is that this is what holds a lot of people back on making this choice.

99-LS1-SS
11-29-2008, 08:04 AM
I figure with a little fabricating of the tube that the filter is attached to you could probably reroute it to hook back around to the area that the stock filter normally sits. It just seems like if you sit still at all it will start to pull a lot of hot air in.

wreckwriter
11-29-2008, 08:08 AM
There may or may not be room under the blower to route the tube. Best answer as it is is a cowl induction hood (rumored to be coming).

Panther 2
11-29-2008, 01:01 PM
The guys from Procharger stopped by our shop (Fonse Performance) While they were out promoting their Harley Procharger. We are a WD for them . I asked them about intake placement . They said thru testing the air temp only went up 5 deg. at stand still and went to ambient as soon as the car was at 5 mph. They says they conducted extensive test before placement of filter . I'm only repeating what I was told, because I to am sceptical of the placement.

Andy@Livernois
11-29-2008, 02:41 PM
While it may not be an ideal spot it doesn't seem to affect the performance all that much... We made 770 rwhp on pump gas on our 05 mustang with a similar setup using a procharger... I wouldn't get to hung up on where the filter goes, once it passes through the intercooler it wil be within a few degrees.

Case in point 6.1L hemi cars, we have installed about a dozen vortech superchargers, and a few prochargers as well.

The procharger system draws the air right above the manifold, yet actually made a few more hp then the vortech intercooled system which draws from the headlight area... At the same boost level...

wreckwriter
11-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Ive already pretty decided to go this route despite my misgiving over the intake location, it just works for me in every other way. The intake location just feels to me a bit like lazy design.

jbradsh1
11-29-2008, 05:14 PM
While it may not be an ideal spot it doesn't seem to affect the performance all that much... We made 770 rwhp on pump gas on our 05 mustang with a similar setup using a procharger... I wouldn't get to hung up on where the filter goes, once it passes through the intercooler it wil be within a few degrees.

Case in point 6.1L hemi cars, we have installed about a dozen vortech superchargers, and a few prochargers as well.

The procharger system draws the air right above the manifold, yet actually made a few more hp then the vortech intercooled system which draws from the headlight area... At the same boost level...

It looks like a relatively easy install. Is that the case? What's this puppy run installed, out the door Andy?

Andy@Livernois
11-29-2008, 05:17 PM
I will do some checking for you... It actually takes quite alot to install compared to a maggie (about 2-2.5 times the labor) so let me do some digging on monday and I will get you a total for it...

wreckwriter
11-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Biggest tricks for installing are the intercooler and pinning the crank I think.

Andy@Livernois
11-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Biggest tricks for installing are the intercooler and pinning the crank I think.

the pinning of the crank is no big deal... but you should see the instruction packet from procharger... The "condensed" copy is still over 20 pages IIRC... usually their instructions are 6-10 pages long

wreckwriter
11-29-2008, 05:27 PM
the pinning of the crank is no big deal... but you should see the instruction packet from procharger... The "condensed" copy is still over 20 pages IIRC... usually their instructions are 6-10 pages long

So what is tricky, the brackets? Don't suppose you have that install sheet in pdf?

Andy@Livernois
11-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Procharger didn't even have it in .pdf I had them fax over some of the pages... there is just ALOT of relocating that has to be done from what I remember. I looked at the pages over a month ago, so I can't remember the exact details...

wreckwriter
11-29-2008, 06:00 PM
I know there's something difficult, I already got a quote on the install and the amount of time surprised me. I think a Maggie would be much easier but I like the Procharger because it brings in the boost more slowly as RPM builds, I see this as being much friendlier to launching.

Blackdevil77
11-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Kinda like a belt-driven turbo charger as I heard someone else here say.

wreckwriter
11-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Kinda like a belt-driven turbo charger as I heard someone else here say.

more or less.

Andy@Livernois
11-29-2008, 06:18 PM
true, but as we see time and time again in the mustang world, twin screw cars are much more plentiful in the bottom 11 high 10 second range (where I would consider it to be an extremely fun street car). You move much past the 10.0 range and there are very very few twin screw guys, mostly big turbo, or big cetrifugal blowers, but they are race cars... These cars are heavy... plain and simple, they want torque, which is why I favor the maggie for these... but it splitting hairs, both are great, both make good power, both are very capable designs... It's sorta like cross shopping white gold versus yellow gold... it's all preference at that point...

wreckwriter
11-29-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm looking for 11.50. A few rules that I don't want to deal with come in at 11.49, a few more at 10.99.

Andy@Livernois
11-29-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm looking for 11.50. A few rules that I don't want to deal with come in at 11.49, a few more at 10.99.

what are yo talking about rules??? what are those? :D

no cage and bottom tens high 9's FTW!!!

Wzx341bTKBM

wreckwriter
11-29-2008, 06:29 PM
I like to be able to return to the same track after I run :)

Andy@Livernois
11-29-2008, 06:31 PM
he's never been kicked out... that's the crazy thing, they know he has no cage...

jbradsh1
11-29-2008, 06:32 PM
I know there's something difficult, I already got a quote on the install and the amount of time surprised me. I think a Maggie would be much easier but I like the Procharger because it brings in the boost more slowly as RPM builds, I see this as being much friendlier to launching.

I thought the same thing re: launching until I saw zosoboogie run at Bradenton Motorsports. Said it was his first time at the strip drag racing. He ran a 12.2 @116 mph, if I remember correctly. But the impressive part of his run was the first 60ft. ... just look up his time to verify but I think it was around 1.9 sec., on stock tires & wheels with no TC. He also had either the street 2 or track 2 pedders package and I'm thinking that may have helped his launch quite a bit.

wreckwriter
11-29-2008, 06:40 PM
he's never been kicked out... that's the crazy thing, they know he has no cage...

2 of my friends got kicked out of Moroso last week for the same thing, too fast no roll bar.

Andy@Livernois
11-29-2008, 06:43 PM
2 of my friends got kicked out of Moroso last week for the same thing, too fast no roll bar.

Oh I hear ya... and trust me I know it's the rules, but still I build my cars for fun on the street, I only really need one clean pass at a track to get a legit number :D

wreckwriter
11-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Oh I hear ya... and trust me I know it's the rules, but still I build my cars for fun on the street, I only really need one clean pass at a track to get a legit number :D

I understand completely but for me the track is the thing. If I can't race at the track the car's useless to me.

Tops200
12-18-2008, 05:46 AM
After I install mine, I'll have to see just how much room is actually available to rout the intake around the other side of the head unit and pull from the OEM filter location. The pictures kinda lend me to think that the location of the filter was a matter of head unit placement and ease of "system" fitment. The filter location cannot be any worse than having the air-to-liquid intercooler mounted in the engine bay behind the radiator or under the intake manifold. At least the ai-to-air intercooler is mounted in front of all of the hot areas, and the intake temps look to be a non-issue after the intercooler! I shall soon see for myself! Got a brand new F-1A kit for a 2V Mustang if anyone is interested.