PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Remote Start Heated Seats

Aaron407
10-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Living through frigid Saskatchewan winters, I’ve always valued remote start on my vehicles. Even though our G8s have remote start, I’ve always found that I would hop into my semi-warm car only to find the leather seats are still ice cold. I figured I had to do something about this travesty, so here’s what I did.

DISCLAIMER:
The information contained hereon in is intended for entertainment purposes only. Any act or attempt to utilize the information, in part or in whole, will be at the reader’s own risk and the reader agrees to indemnify the author from and against any demands, claims, and damages to persons or property, and losses and liabilities, including reasonable attorney’s fees, arising out of or caused by the reader or their attendees’ interpretation of the stated information or negligence in assembly/installation of the portrayed device. It is strongly recommended that any electrical work be certified by a licensed Electrical Engineer.

Also, ignore the incredibly dirty car, I’m very aware it’s in need of a good cleaning.
------------------------------------------------------
The following parts/tools were needed for this project:
Plastic project box (I used 2”W x 3”L x 1”H, which was tight)
LM7805 voltage regulator
2N2904 transistor
100µF (min. 16V) electrolytic capacitor
0.1µF (min. 16V) electrolytic capacitor
PICAXE-08M 8-pin microcontroller
8-Pin microchip socket
1.8kΩ ¼ watt resistor
2 - 1kΩ ¼ watt resistors
32kΩ ¼ watt resistor
5V N.O. DPST relay (or DPDT using the N.O. contacts)
2 - toggle switches
PCB Breadboard (or other type if you desire)
Screw terminals, totaling 5 termination points
20 gauge solid hookup wire (for component interconnections; stranded would work too)
16 or 18 gauge stranded hookup wire (for connection to vehicle wires)
Rubber grommet for wire exit from box
5 Red T-tap connectors (for connection to vehicle wires)
Soldering iron
Solder
Pliers to close the T-tap connectors
Digital multimeter for testing
2 - inline fuse holders with 1A fuses for the line from the front side of the factory switches and +12 line

ENSURE THAT ALL COMPONENTS ARE RATED FOR AS COLD OF TEMPERATURES AS YOU EXPECT TO ENCOUNTER, I.E. MOST 7805 REGULATORS ARE NOT RATED FOR TEMPERATURES BELOW FREEZING.
The following is the circuit that is required for the controller box, along with the general logic of the heated seat control:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/Aaron407/1-ControllerModel.jpg
Theory behind the circuit:

The general principle of the circuit is to simulate a user pushing the heated seat button three times to turn the seat elements on high after a remote start. After analyzing the wiring diagram for stock control, I found that pushing the button simply provides continuity across two terminals/wires at the switch, which triggers a logic input at the vehicle’s heated seat controller. Therefore, pulsing a normally open relay would provide this continuity.

Also discovered by the stock wiring diagram is that both switches use the same 12V source that is used for signaling, shown as point “1” on the console switch block. Therefore, a single source point of voltage can be used and passed on through the relay contacts. This 12V point of supply is also the source of power for the entire circuit, which is dropped down to 5V through the LM7085 regulator.

As you can see from the schematic, I added two switches to manually defeat the module. The one switch is used as a manual defeat/enable for the entire unit, since opening this switch cuts off the primary power supply to the circuit. For me, this would mostly be used to defeat the unit during the summer months. The second switch is used to deactivate remote start heating of only the passenger seat if it would be a waste to heat it.

In terms of inputs, the module’s microcontroller only turns on if the 12V from the console switch is available and dropped to the usable 5V after the regulator to supply the chip power. This means that a vehicle start, either remote or manual, has been initiated. However, since I only want to turn the heated seats on with a remote start, I used another voltage reference, that being the accessory voltage. Since we do not have accessory power when remote starting, we can assume that heated seat control should only occur if accessory power is not available. The signal for 12V accessory (tapped off the back wires of the front console receptacle) is measured after a voltage divider, which provides proper logic voltages for the microcontroller input.

Assuming that the microcontroller turns on (aka vehicle start initiated) and there is a low input provided to the other input (aka indicates remote start), the microcontroller, after waiting 8 seconds for the vehicle to start and stabilize system voltage, pulses the output three times. This pulsing turns on the transistor, which allows enough current flow to energize the pull-in coil of the relay to close the contacts. Depending on how the manual defeat/enable switches are configured, either the driver’s heated seat button or possibly both seat control buttons will be provided continuity to simulate the user pushing the button(s). The diode shown in the circuit is used to stop backfeed of the magnetic field breakdown in the relay coil when it releases.

Aaron407
10-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Assembly:

Obviously there are many ways of building the control circuit. I chose to use a PCB breadboard since the soldering pads already exist and there are groups of pads with common continuity so you don’t have to use as many jumpers. One recommendation I will give is to not unnecessarily limit yourself in terms of room to attach components. I bought a small project box and cut down my board to fit, but ended up spending about twice as long putting everything together due to the confined space. Once you add in the screw terminals (each terminal denoted by a number in parentheses in the schematic) you end up with a significant loss of real estate.

Programming of the PICAXE-08M microcontroller is very simple. There are many tutorials online about how to program them, which requires a serial port, a few additional resistors, and a means to connect individual pins of the microcontroller to the serial connection. A google search should give many results for the physical configuration for programming, or you can just take a look at the manual (http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/picaxe_manual1.pdf). I have attached the actual programming code I used to this post in .bas format, which can be uploaded with the PICAXE software, which I then put in a zip file. The .bas file can be opened in notepad to view the code.

At this point there’s not much else to say about building it, aside from giving due consideration to testing continuity and ensuring proper polarity/arrangement of the capacitors and 2N3904 transistor once everything’s in place. Also ensure that the wires leaving the box to attach to the vehicle wiring are long enough to reach their destinations (I left 5’ per wire, which gave versatility of where I placed the box), and LABEL THE OUTGOING WIRES SO YOU DON’T MIX THEM UP.

Here are a couple pictures of my final product:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/Aaron407/2-OpenControllerBox.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/Aaron407/3-ClosedControllerBox.jpg
One last test:

Once the circuit is fully built, you can use a 9V battery to verify that it’s working. Apply 9V between the reference voltage point (3) and ‘-‘ point (2) from the schematic. If the switches are enabled properly, you should be able to measure three short pulses of continuity between points (3) and (4) after the 8 second delay, as well as between points (3) and (5). Repeat with the different switch configurations to make sure it works as expected. As well, with the switches enabled, jumper point (1) to point (3) to simulate accessory power is available to ensure that the system doesn’t operate.
Installation:

Installation was fairly simple. After pulling off the trim plate on the console and removing the connectors, the bottom side of the heated seat controls is exposed. The following post shows how to remove the trim:

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpost.php?p=586357&postcount=10

This is what it looked like after removing the trim:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/Aaron407/4-TrimRemoval.jpg

Depending on where the box is placed, the wiring may have to be snaked through to the console area. I found it easier to get the wires in place by removing the small plate shown in the photo below with the screw partly raised/removed.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/Aaron407/5-WirePassandPlate.jpg

Use the T-tap connectors to wire points (3), (4), and (5) according to the schematic and the noted wire colors. One wire is connected to the driverside connector, the other two are on the passengerside connector.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/Aaron407/6-SwitchConnections.jpg

Replace the trim plate and remove the passenger side panel by the radio as shown below.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/Aaron407/7-12VConnectionArea.jpg

Snake the remaining two wires through and use the t-tap connectors to tap into the rear of the 12V accessory outlet. I already had my GPS wired in, so I just used two larger (blue) T-tap connectors to splice onto those wires. Just make sure you get the polarity right on the connections by using a multimeter to measure the 12V polarity.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/Aaron407/8-12VConnections.jpg

Once all wires are tapped in, a good spot for the unit is needed. I zip-tied mine in the left corner under the dash so I could still have access to the switches, but it would still be quite hidden and not get in the way.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/Aaron407/9-Installed.jpg

After the installation, set both switches to enable control and try it out.

Here’s a quick video of mine in action:

UStv48IBwpM

If the video doesn't load: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UStv48IBwpM

travis gore
10-02-2010, 04:47 PM
well now that is a great idea. I hate cold leather seats also. I use mine a lot,really helps the back out

TomPierce
10-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Perfect. Thank you very much!

SRG963
10-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Awesome! And you'll be selling this to us for....?

Panzer Leader
10-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Man I am glad I live down here. And all I ever wanted was Bluetooth and Triple Analog Gauges. (Well actually, after reading the other post, both the triple and the double) Is there anything else that anyone wants the remote to do? I wish we could figure out a way to put the windows down remotely. And of course I would like express up on the front windows.

rmcrom
10-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Hey that's great. I'm trying to get the ESP to turn toggle when switching between drive and sport drive. Could this circuit work to pulse the ESP button when moving the shifter?

Aaron407
10-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Hey that's great. I'm trying to get the ESP to turn toggle when switching between drive and sport drive. Could this circuit work to pulse the ESP button when moving the shifter?

I'm sure it could be done, but not with this module. I'd have to check the wiring diagrams, but what you're looking for would need to monitor contacts stating the shifter position.

cdrum
10-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Awesome project and great write-up!

jnak
10-04-2010, 10:02 PM
That is slick! Nicely done.

-Ray-
10-05-2010, 03:01 AM
Excellent work, and thanks for posting the how to. Not something I would attempt, but anyone with some electrical experience should be able to do this.

Belo
10-05-2010, 11:17 AM
wow, that is way beyond my abilities. sell it!

BlackGT5
10-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Nice write-up. Not for me either but as others have mentioned you could have a market for it if you decide to make & sell.

Aaron407
10-06-2010, 08:06 AM
If I were to pursue building and selling it, I'd have to obtain liability insurance and carry it for the rest of my life, which would be a very expensive venture. I don't have much choice but to leave it up to whoever wants to try building it themselves.

whiterp199
10-06-2010, 08:36 AM
What if we sign waivers saying we ain't sue if are cars go all 458 italia on us?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

edfiero
10-07-2010, 12:10 PM
repost the instructions, I can DIY it.

Aaron407
10-07-2010, 12:23 PM
The instructions were removed after I was notified that I could still be held partially liable if someone's build or installation caused an injury or death since I'm a registered P.Eng. Since I don't have control over those two aspects I felt it necessary to protect my best interests. If someone can offer me a proper legal disclaimer that will fully absolve me of liability for the information provided, and one that is guaranteed to hold up in court, I'd be happy to repost the instructions.

rez0nance
10-07-2010, 12:29 PM
The instructions were removed after I was notified that I could still be held partially liable if someone's build or installation caused an injury or death since I'm a registered P.Eng. Since I don't have control over those two aspects I felt it necessary to protect my best interests. If someone can offer me a proper legal disclaimer that will fully absolve me of liability for the information provided, and one that is guaranteed to hold up in court, I'd be happy to repost the instructions.

What if some other anonymous screen name were to post it? From someone that has nothing to do with you, of course...

Aaron407
10-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Ha, I have a funny feeling it would still come back to me.

At any rate, I'm working on nice lengthy disclaimer :popo:. I'm hoping to have the DIY reposted within the next day or so if everything goes as planned.

Aaron407
10-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Ok, I'm satisfied with the disclaimer. Everything's back up other than the code, which the board isn't letting me upload right now.