PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Caprice PPV (aka Commodore LWB)

Code3pro
09-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi all,
I was fortunate to spend some seat time this week at the GM Milford Proving Grounds in the all-new 2001 Caprice PPV, which is a variant of the G8 as I am sure you have heard. If you have questions about it, please feel free to ask.

SRG963
09-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Have you driven the GT? How do they compare?

BluYa76
09-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi all,
I was fortunate to spend some seat time this week at the GM Milford Proving Grounds in the all-new 2001 Caprice PPV, which is a variant of the G8 as I am sure you have heard. If you have questions about it, please feel free to ask.

Please do tell brother!!! I only wish my Dept. would get it's head out of Fords crotch!

DRCUSTOMPARTS
09-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Will the car be for sale to the public someday, like as an Impala SS?

youngrushhour
09-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Will the car be for sale to the public someday, like as an Impala SS?

It absolutely will. GM isn't that retarded.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
09-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Well they haven't announced that the car will be available to public yet. And I disagree with you, GM is pretty stupid when it comes to marketing cars.

SRG963
09-18-2010, 09:49 AM
GM made the bad decision to cancel Pontiac, after releasing what I consider the best car they've ever made. Wouldn't surprise me if they only made these available to LEO.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
09-18-2010, 09:58 AM
/\ Exactly

Code3pro
09-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi all. Thanks for the questions and here's some info on the Caprice. First, it's based on the LWB model of the Commodore, so it's 6" longer between the axles, most of which goes in the rear seat floor. Holden thought it best to use this platform because of the space eaten up by the cage, and it was a good decision. Dynamically as compared to my 08 SWB G8 GT, it doesn't rotate as quickly and the chassis isn't as reactive to throttle steer, BUT it's nothing most cops will ever notice. The WILL notice the big interior which is favorable. Speaking of which, the interior has been redone and while the cars I drove were considered "prototypes" the changes seem pretty baked-in. The dash has been revised, there is a new touch screen with nav (not active in PPV models) and there are new dash materials that are much improved over my 08. The biggest change is the transmission tunnel area as room was needed for computer gear, radios, siren, etc.. The window switches were moved to the doors, the parking brake to a floor unit and there is a single gate transmission lever offset to the driver. Interesting enough, there is still a sport mode that is activated by a button placed just ahead of the shifter. There is no manual shift option any longer, but judging how much better the tranny has been tuned (I tried just about everything to get the Holden guys to email me the tune, but no go...dammit!), it won't be missed. Plus, cops don't need it as the revised tune and sport mode is more than enough. Speaking of which, the PAL algorithms are fantastic, and the rev matching on downshifting in sport mode is light years ahead of my 08. I can only hope to duplicate with a cortex tune or something, but maybe when the car is available next year, the tune can be flashed at a dealer. Overall, the car is the biggest police sedan to come to market in a while, bigger than the Charger and new Ford Interceptor (sedan and SUV...I've been in both), and while those three are good performers, the Caprice will most likely kick their asses this weekend at the Michigan State Police Vehicle Testing at Michigan Speedway. As for the civilian market, there was no acknowledgment of that. So you know, the GM people I spent time with LOVED the G8 and want it in the line up badly. However due to the shenanigans in Washington these days that have been shoving 35 mpg CAFE standards down the manufacturers throats, that seems to be the stumbling block. Maybe if they sell enough Volts, they can use the credits to sell a real car. BluYa76, I am going to be doing an article in Law Officer Magazine for the November issue..and I can post a link in this forum once it comes out to the web version. In the meantime, here are a few pics of the undercover and marked units that I shot, as well as the new interior. http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad275/code3pro/caprice-front-web-jp.jpg[/IMG]http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad275/code3pro/caprice-int-jp-web.jpghttp://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad275/code3pro/caprice-web-jp.jpg

Code3pro
09-18-2010, 10:09 AM
One more...didn't load the first time... http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad275/code3pro/caprice-front-web-jp.jpg

DRCUSTOMPARTS
09-18-2010, 10:34 AM
It would be nice to have that new trans tune, our trans doesn't shift that great even with the revised Cortex trans tune.

Greg@PacePerformance
09-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Nice to see I should be able to get some series II dash parts.

Crazy Paul
09-18-2010, 12:55 PM
, so it's 6" longer between the axles,

Yep everyone sporting 3.70" claims to have 6"

SWB = 2915mm
LWB = 3009mm

youngrushhour
09-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Well they haven't announced that the car will be available to public yet. And I disagree with you, GM is pretty stupid when it comes to marketing cars.

Just buy it through a dealer who is willing to sell you one. Have seen it before first hand.

pha|anx
09-19-2010, 03:50 AM
beautiful. there really is a solid case here for a new Impala. is that a next-gen Holden dashboard? the screen is significantly higher than it is in the G8. I read somewhere the reason our screen wasn't full colour display or sat nav out of the box was due to NHTSA safety standards-- something about it being too far down on the dash to be safely legal.

very badass nonetheless. I hope this platform lives on in civillian dress. be nice if Ford switched that new jelly-bean Taurus to just police use, and imported the Falcon platform here for some RWD competition... one can only hope.

:brock:

travis gore
09-19-2010, 04:12 AM
Chevy sure knows how to make a car look cheap. Not a fan,the interior is to plain and lacks style.

pha|anx
09-19-2010, 07:06 AM
Chevy sure knows how to make a car look cheap. Not a fan,the interior is to plain and lacks style.

I think the idea was cost cutting due to police use only. seems like it will do the job fairly well for that task. I'm sure an 'Impala' branded version of something similar would be FAR more lucrative.

JAM
09-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Hoping they are on the next State contract - any idea how soon they will be available?

JAM

Panzer Leader
09-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Hey maybe CP can get the Push Bars for the front bumpe. That might help out George with the deer hits. Looks like an Impala from the rear. Better than nothing, which we will get in the future, nothing.

zepcom
09-20-2010, 06:00 AM
Hey maybe CP can get the Push Bars for the front bumpe. That might help out George with the deer hits. Looks like an Impala from the rear. Better than nothing, which we will get in the future, nothing.

Out with the push bars.... I want a ROO BAR!

http://www.holden.co.nz/vehicle/ute-ve/ute-ss/accessories.html

I'm sure CP could ship us one over via boat... :shutup::thumbsup:

BlackGT5
09-20-2010, 07:43 AM
I prefer the sports bar myself:drunk2:

Code3pro
09-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Hi all,
Glad to see this post has generated some lively comments! To answer a few observations, the interior is definitely decontented for fleet pricing, and to make room for police specific gear. Orders for the Caprice are starting next month for the undercover model, and early next year for the patrol model. Pricing is right around 30k, and production will begin next spring. Also, the dash materials are much better looking in person than the photo conveys, and there is also a different instrument panel that is police calibrated to 160 mph. There are also new seats that GM spent a lot of time on to make sure are comfortable with decent lateral support while still having hip room for duty belts. I don't know about you all, but IMO, the seats in my G8 suck to the point of thigh and lower back pain on any trip lasting more than 30-40 minutes no matter how I adjust them. The stock seats on my Wrangler had better support! I know the topic makes for a new post, but the new police seats are way better. However, I am curious if all of you have the same issues with the seats?

cozbyrt
09-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Code3pro do you know the interior space measurements on the PPV and how the measurements were taken?

zepcom
09-21-2010, 06:35 AM
Code3pro do you know the interior space measurements on the PPV and how the measurements were taken?

http://www.chevroletcapriceppv.com/?seo=goo_|_2010_Police_Caprice_|_Police_Caprice_La unch_|_New_Launch_PPV_|_caprice_ppv#specifications

SRG963
09-21-2010, 06:57 AM
.....There are also new seats that GM spent a lot of time on to make sure are comfortable with decent lateral support while still having hip room for duty belts. I don't know about you all, but IMO, the seats in my G8 suck to the point of thigh and lower back pain on any trip lasting more than 30-40 minutes no matter how I adjust them. The stock seats on my Wrangler had better support! I know the topic makes for a new post, but the new police seats are way better. However, I am curious if all of you have the same issues with the seats?

Interesting that they redesigned the seats, I've driven several hours with no leg or back fatigue.
Heres more info
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/0201589F2A92A500CA2577A5001E1083

zepcom
09-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Interesting that they redesigned the seats, I've driven several hours with no leg or back fatigue.

You don't have a gun belt strapped to your person while driving.

That's why they redesigned the PPV's seats. From the reports I've read, the competition uses standard seats which are uncomfortable to say the least, with all the equipment that LEO must carry.

Seattle09GT
09-21-2010, 12:25 PM
The Caprice has done extremely well in the Michigan testing. Jalopnik has a great write up. The Caprice was among the fastest cars there, held the top speed of all tested (the only car to break 150) and came in a close second place on the handling course behind the AWD Taurus.

Negatives included having a console shifter (the only car tested that did); with some police departments saying the console shifter was an immediate cause to not consider the Chevy. Others expressed concerns about Australia derived parts.

http://jalopnik.com/5644083/the-great-american-cop-car-shootout

I've said this on other forums, I'll say it here:

STEP ONE: Kill the GM W-Body Impala

Bring the Holden Commodore/Statesman Zeta Platform cars back to North America with a Chevy bowtie:

Model Group One:

Commodore/Statesman Sedan as Caprice/Caprice Classic

SEDAN

1) 3.0 DI 6-cylinder with 6-speed automatic, retool for column shifter as fleet duty vehicle, rental duty vehicle, and entry level into market, long wheel base Caprice Classic model also offered
2) 3.6 DI 6-cylinder (312 HP trim) with 6-speed automatic as the "main" model, console shifter, fleet model Caprice Classic also offered with column shifter
3) 6.0 AFM L76 V8 (355 HP E85 trim) with 6-speed automatic and 6-speed manual option (no AFM on manual) on "main" model, console shifter fleet model Caprice Classic offered with column shifter
4) 6.2 supercharged LS9 (556 HP trim) with 6-speed manual as a limited production Caprice SS model

SPORTWAGON

1) 3.0 DI 6-cylinder with 6-speed automatic and console shifter as entry level, fleet duty vehicle, no LWB option
2) 3.6 DI 6-cylinder (312 HP trim) with 6-speed automatic as the "main" model, console shifter, no LWB option
3) 6.0 AFM L76 V8 (355 HP E85 trim) with 6-speed automatic and 6-speed manual (AFM delete for manual) option, no LWB option

UTE

1) 3.6 DI 6-cylinder (312 HP trim) with 6-speed automatic as the "main" model, console shifter, sold under the El Camino legacy name or Colorado
2) 6.0 AFM L76 V8 (355 HP E85 trim) with 6-speed automatic and 6-speed manual option (no AFM on manual) sold under the El Camino legacy or Colorado
3) 6.2 supercharged LS9 (556 HP trim) with 6-speed manual as a limited production legacy El Camino or Colorado SS model

Picked up adoption carried by fleet sales could justify moving some production from down under to North America and drive further sales.

zepcom
09-22-2010, 04:40 AM
Seattle09gt,

Nice analysis. Needs submission to GM top brass -- obviously they need your viewpoints to help spur this along.

With the DI engines and 6-speed trannys, they should have no problem meeting the tougher fuel economy standards.

The hardest part here would be to kill off the FWD Impala to make room for this. There's a lot of 70+ year olds who continue to barely drive impalas, keeping the sales numbers in check.

Code3pro
09-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Read through the GM press release today on the MSP testing...unfortunately, since the Interceptor is considered not-ready-for-prime-time till 2012 as a production model, GM placed its results against the 2011 Crown Vic which is easily beatable by any of the new crop of cars. The Interceptor was better in braking and lap times (AWD) than the Caprice, but the Caprice is larger and quicker in a straight line and top end. Having been in both, the advantages of a torque sensing AWD system coupled with less weight hanging over the nose and a shorter wheelbase all naturally help handling, and the Interceptor does perform well. The Caprice's strengths lie elsewhere, so GM needs to push those like straight line acceleration and interior space, plus the car still isn't a slouch in the handling department. FYI, most agencies are "chipping" their cars to a max of 130 mph or so for liability reasons, so having a 150+ top end isn't really a selling point to a lot of fleet managers. Ultimately, all of these cars perform extremely well and are light years ahead of the Crown Vic and the Impala for that matter, so cops win either way. I will be curious to see if GM makes the change to a column mounted shifter which would help their cause in the police market. And I like Seattle09GT's thoughts!

Code3pro
09-22-2010, 09:22 AM
In reviewing the MSP results, the difference in the BEST lap time between the Caprice and the Interceptor AWD was only 3/10ths of a second, which is insignificant in the real world. So they're both great handling cars for different reasons, and so close in performance that I think GM would have been just fine saying they were faster in some areas like acceleration and top end, and SLIGHTLY slower in handling and a SMIDGE longer in braking than the Interceptor....plus size advantage is a biggie. That leaves their comparing themselves to the existing Crown Vic as a head scratcher because the Caprice really did well overall.

zepcom
09-22-2010, 10:49 AM
From what I've read, the 'twin turbo' part of the taurus offering is not favored for police departments maintenance workers. Likewise, their "all wheel drive" is nice for handling, but susceptible to expensive repairs with front end damage or curb hopping, which cop cars tend to do a lot of.

The GM LS engines already have a huge advantage in parts availability, yet they get decent fuel economy for the size. It was discussed in the article that "off the line acceleration" is more important, yes, more important than theoretical "top speed".

When they are shooting stationary radar on the expressway from the center median, for example, once they 'get one', they need to get up and go quickly to harness their victim, err, speeder, in a safe manner.

In this respect, the Caprice is favored over the ford offering as well.

Plus, the ford taurus offering is the furthest away from production as compared to the other two, which means that when purchasing budgets come due, whatever is on the market at the time to buy is what they will be choosing from. For several, this will exclude Ford altogether.

I have high hopes for the Caprice PPV. I hope to race one in my neck of the woods, err, not. :)

m1tankr
09-23-2010, 02:26 PM
I think another big difference is going to be cost. The Ecoboost (twin turbo) AWD Taurus is going to cost a lot more. The maintenance costs, repair costs, & retraining costs for the mechanics. The AWD patrol Expeditions have been a huge pain for maintenance & repair costs for us.

Crazy Paul
10-25-2010, 01:34 AM
Download Full Specs here:
http://www.chevroletcapriceppv.com/pdfs/Caprice-Vehicle-Technical-Manual.pdf
5.33Mb

http://www.chevroletcapriceppv.com/?seo=goo_|_2010_Police_Caprice_|_Police_Caprice_La unch_|_New_Launch_PPV_|_caprice_ppv#home

LAMAR.LAZ
10-28-2010, 03:58 AM
how about for the pure white one Sneg pronounced Ss nyeg
In Russian that means Snow.