PDA

View Full Version : which one would you choose, honest answers and input.

thlsislt
11-24-2008, 08:15 PM
i have been looking at a couple of different cars. i know all of you may by bias towards the pontiac g8. but in all actuality i would like your informed and overall suggestions and opinions on honest material. so don't just say G8 because you have a G8. the three cars i was think of are....

pontiac g8, dodge challenger, mustang gt.

tell me what you think, thanks guys.

BlueJacket
11-24-2008, 08:18 PM
What are your needs in a car? The G8 is not in the same class as the Challenger and Mustang.

thlsislt
11-24-2008, 08:44 PM
i was looking for the most bang for the buck. if i'm not mistaking the challenger has more power then them all. the mustang has to most after market support. but the g8 has more standard options and MPG is better. i guess i'm looking for an overall outlook. that will be price, power, options and aftermarket support.

BlueJacket
11-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Then the G8 is your car. It is the best bang for the buck car out there.

bwooten492
11-24-2008, 09:36 PM
G8 stands out, has good stock power and is fairly priced. It doesn't have a huge aftermarket yet.

Mustang is the same car everyone else has. Parts are pretty cheap and they make anything you can think of for them. The cars can also be had for pretty cheap.

Challenger is over hyped and over priced. (i'm not a mopar fan.)

lsp408
11-24-2008, 10:04 PM
If I can afford challenger SRT8, I would be all over it. I really like the way that car looks.

G8GT, I love the car, I also can afford it. plus cheap on insurance. the trunk and inside space are huge.

never been a mustang fan. so no common here.

MANOFSTEEL69
11-25-2008, 04:30 AM
i have been looking at a couple of different cars. i know all of you may by bias towards the pontiac g8. but in all actuality i would like your informed and overall suggestions and opinions on honest material. so don't just say G8 because you have a G8. the three cars i was think of are....

I compared all 3 of those, including the Charger, side by side. I drove them all, as well. The G8 was better in almost every class except creature comforts, (hands-free, satellite radio, shitty glove box, cup holders). But from a power and performancs, as well as handling perspective....The G8 can't be touched for the price. You can mod a G8 and be well ahead of the 'Stang and MOPARS as far as HP for under the price. If I could go back, I wouldn't change my mind.... ;)

wreckwriter
11-25-2008, 04:42 AM
I love the Challenger but I bought a G8.....

GRRRR8
11-25-2008, 05:11 AM
Well, I beat plenty of Mustangs all non SRT8 Challengers and 1 SRT8. If you need 4 doors there is only 1 choice!

99-LS1-SS
11-25-2008, 05:25 AM
I'm a little bias towards GM but if I had chose my picks in order would be G8, Mustang and Challenger.

My thought process in this decision is, while the G8 market isn't as huge as the Mustang market the engine and drive train does have a pretty good market.

SRG963
11-25-2008, 07:09 AM
GM > Ford > Dodge

Andy@Livernois
11-25-2008, 08:18 AM

Ok, no one shoot me over this...

Best performance bang for the buck is a mustang... Period... you can buy GT's for about 7k less then a G8 right now...

Now after saying that they are worlds apart from a drivers stand point, they have totally different purposes in life.

The G8 is more advanced, better parts, better everything except in the dollar vs. 1/4 mile.

I will phrase it an easier way, new mustang for 25k +6k on a magnacharger including labor and all and you now have a low 12 second car...

To sum it up, Although the Mustang wins in "bang for the buck" there are trade offs I couldn't live with every day (maybe i'm getting old even though I'm only 24) They rattle, the bounce over bumps, but they are fun. But not as much fun as a G8... Period

So if you are looking at bang for the buck and not caring about anything else it goes:

Mustang>G8> Challenger

If you care about the whole package and realize sometimes the extra money is worth the benefits then:

G8>Mustang> Challenger

peterg22000
11-25-2008, 10:05 AM
GM > Ford > Dodge

x2!

the aftermarket is growing for the G8, But in its stock form, its a damn good car!

Mustangs aren't bad, but I don't know alot about them from a first hand point of view.. (Personal note, I was less then impressed by the new '10)

And the Challenger, while being one of the nicest looking cars out now, I wouldn't touch it! from my personal experiance (and from what I've read about the Challenger) the interiors SUCK in chrysler cars!..

RobG809
11-25-2008, 01:34 PM
I drove all three cars recently and bought a G8, there's my opinion...

but seriously the Challenger is a not much different from driving my wife's Suburban, or even my boat for that matter... plus it just felt way too cheap inside to warrant the sticker.

The Mustang is a great car but the suspension is too loose and the interior is also low rent.

Buy the G8 and you won't regret it.

thlsislt
11-26-2008, 06:45 AM
Thanks guys. Surprisingly honest answers from everyone. Thanks for all of the info especially from those who test drove all three cars. You guys have been a big help withing aiding my choice. Turn of the year I'll be getting a G8.

NDM
11-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Im gonna add one just for fun....A used Jeep grand cherokee srt.......although I made the choice to get a g8gt......I truly believe that bang for the buck goes to the Jeep....Heres why....

space......although the back seat is cramped, there is plenty cargo space....
speed......C'mon its a 4.5 second SUV with a top speed of 165...Factory...
creature comforts....Nav, dvd, bluetooth...etc...
Looks....simply bad ass
handling.......stunning ...especally since its an SUV.. .88 G's on the skidpad
winter... was a breeze with the AWD....and were talking Icey Chicago winters..
Mods......Dont need much....Very quick right out of the box....

EDIT:::::AExhaust is the best sounding and looking factory exhaust ever,,,IMO

But I will play devils advocate and tell you the cons too

Jeep...service sucks...worst service in the universe
Gas....I have a heavy foot and 11.3 mpg premium is what I averaged
comfort....weird driveline noises and more road noise.
Mods....much more expensive to mod.
wheels...plan to spend at least 4-5k for a set
transfercase...get a good warranty with it....
Brakes.....need to change pads immediately to satisfied brake pads(or some other pad that wont eat the rotors like the factory ones...
Goodyear runflats suck.....Changed to toyo proxy ST's and was very satisifed.

Even though I had some issues with jeep, I truly miss the hell out of my old black demon SUV....And now that gas is down so low, I could almost kick myself in the can for trading it in...

you can see my Jeep in the 2nd link below...
If I had the cash, I would get another one...But I am very happy with my G8GT

todds87ss
11-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Im gonna add one just for fun....A used Jeep grand cherokee srt.......although I made the choice to get a g8gt......I truly believe that bang for the buck goes to the Jeep....Heres why....

space......although the back seat is cramped, there is plenty cargo space....
speed......C'mon its a 4.5 second SUV with a top speed of 165...Factory...
creature comforts....Nav, dvd, bluetooth...etc...
Looks....simply bad ass
handling.......stunning ...especally since its an SUV.. .88 G's on the skidpad
winter... was a breeze with the AWD....and were talking Icey Chicago winters..
Mods......Dont need much....Very quick right out of the box....

EDIT:::::AExhaust is the best sounding and looking factory exhaust ever,,,IMO

But I will play devils advocate and tell you the cons too

Jeep...service sucks...worst service in the universe
Gas....I have a heavy foot and 11.3 mpg premium is what I averaged
comfort....weird driveline noises and more road noise.
Mods....much more expensive to mod.
wheels...plan to spend at least 4-5k for a set
transfercase...get a good warranty with it....
Brakes.....need to change pads immediately to satisfied brake pads(or some other pad that wont eat the rotors like the factory ones...
Goodyear runflats suck.....Changed to toyo proxy ST's and was very satisifed.

Even though I had some issues with jeep, I truly miss the hell out of my old black demon SUV....And now that gas is down so low, I could almost kick myself in the can for trading it in...

you can see my Jeep in the 2nd link below...
If I had the cash, I would get another one...But I am very happy with my G8GT

you forgot HORRIBLE resale value!!!

todds87ss
11-29-2008, 05:48 PM
A mustang is a mustang is a mustang. There are a million of them out there and no matter how it's dressed up, it still looks like a $25K car with NO USABLE back seat.
The Challenger is the (IMO) best looking car out there for less than 45K. get the RT for 35K and put a SRT KILLER package on it. Still not a very useable back seat.
If you are cross shopping a G8 against these two, you are missing the point completely. You should shop a Camaro against these two, as they have a more similiar layout (2 doors, similiar size and accomodations). Also, if you wait for the Camaro, you will have a model that will be around for a few years (unlike our G8s)
My .02

WinstonWolf
11-30-2008, 03:21 PM
i traded in an '07 Mustang (with mods) for the G8 and I haven't looked back.

the Mustang has great aftermarket support and i really enjoyed it. but i needed a backseat and the extra room of a g8. so far, i haven't regretted it at all. i love the room, the handling, and power of the g8.

i will say this - the g8 only comes in automatic, and i would never buy an auto Mustang. get a stick if you get one.