PDA

View Full Version : Door Lock Issues

Snakey
09-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm having some issues with my Rear Driver's side door lock. Every now and then it doesn't lock / unlock on the first try. I've noticed that sometimes it is very slow to react or transition from one position to another. Called the dealership and they said the G8 doesn't have a door lock acuator like most vehicles and they would need to take a look at it.

Any thoughts from the experts?

-Ray-
09-08-2010, 04:20 PM
I havent heard of any problems, but there has been water intrusion into the G8's. Maybe there is a little corrosion.

WANG
09-09-2010, 06:02 AM
We just had an actuator for the passenger rear door replaced for the very reason that you state.

SRG963
09-09-2010, 06:17 AM
I had my rear drivers side door latch replaced under warranty due to it not locking/unlocking properly. Part number was 92215255.

Snakey
09-09-2010, 03:48 PM
We just had an actuator for the passenger rear door replaced for the very reason that you state.

So it does have an actuator?

DRCUSTOMPARTS
09-09-2010, 05:17 PM
The door locks have actuators but they also have relays that are controlled by the BCM, so you might have a bad relay.

Door Lock and Unlock Operation
When the door lock switch is activated in the lock or unlock position the BCM will detect a voltage drop on either the door lock switch lock or unlock signal circuits.

The BCM, upon receipt of a lock switch lock or unlock signal, will provide the appropriate relay control circuit with voltage or ground. This will energize the relays. The relay will supply voltage to the door lock actuator lock or unlock control circuits. Since the opposite side of the lock actuator is connected to ground through the other lock actuator control circuit and the normally closed contacts of the lock or unlock relay, the doors will then lock or unlock as commanded.

Three relays are used to operate the door latches, DR/LCK, DR/UNLCK, and DRVR DR/UNLCK relays. The driver door latch is isolated so that only the driver door will unlock by a command from the remote keyless entry transmitter.

Some more info about how the door locks work.

The body control module (BCM) provides battery positive voltage and ground to the appropriate lock and unlock control circuits of the door lock and unlock relays. The lock control circuits of the driver and passenger door latch assemblies share a common relay; however, the unlock control circuits have separate relays. The system is designed this way so that the keyless entry transmitter may be used to unlock only the driver door.

The BCM supplies and monitors a reference voltage to the door lock/window switch through the door lock switch lock and unlock signal circuits. The door lock/window switch also receives a constant ground source. If a door lock switch is placed in the lock position or unlock position, the reference voltage is taken directly to ground and the BCM detects the voltage drop on the signal circuit.

The BCM, upon receipt of a lock switch lock signal, will switch the all lock relay control circuit to battery positive voltage. This will energize the relay. The relay will supply voltage to the door lock actuator lock control circuits to one side of the lock actuator. Since the opposing side of the lock actuators are connected to ground through the other lock actuator control circuit and the normally closed contacts of the lock or unlock relay, the doors will then lock appropriately. The remaining unlock relays receive voltage from the I/P fuse block, the BCM upon receipt of a unlock signal or driver door unlock signal will switch the appropriate unlock relay to ground. This will energize the appropriate unlock relay. The relay will supply voltage to the appropriate door unlock control circuits to one side of the lock actuator. Since the opposing side of the lock actuators are connected to ground through the other lock actuator control circuits and the normally closed contact of the lock relay, the doors will then unlock appropriately.

Snakey
09-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the info!

Blown396
09-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Just took mine in for the same thing. That and my radio not turning off after I shut off the car and get out. Had to order the acuator for the rear door and a striker switch for my door. Hopefully it doesnt take that long to come in. Took 4 months to get my center a/c vents in.

EB

Snakey
09-23-2010, 03:50 PM
So the dealer says its normal.... I'm thinking second opinion and not going back!

DRCUSTOMPARTS
09-23-2010, 03:58 PM
It's not normal, mine work everytime and yours should too. I'm sure everyone else's do too, so you need to tell them that or go to a different dealer.

Panzer Leader
09-23-2010, 05:54 PM
We are fast running out of Dealers. I think many, along with GM would like to see the G8 do a fast fade out. Then again, they could be selling Chryslers.

todds87ss
09-24-2010, 05:55 PM
chevy dealers can do the warranty work. I'm also having this issue. Thanks for the info.

-Ray-
09-25-2010, 02:36 AM
So the dealer says its normal.... I'm thinking second opinion and not going back!

What dealership? Those guys are either stupid or lazy. A Good guys/Bad guys section will be going up in the near future.

Snakey
09-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Kirk Chevrolet / Pontiac in Goshen Indiana.

I guess they have not got their GM franchise back and I'm thinking its time to go somewhere else. The guy who I used to work with in service has left and I just don't feel comfortable with them anymore. So, with that being said, would you go to a former Pontiac dealer, a reputable Chevrolet dealer, or back to the selling dealer whom the service manager drove the car off road to test the LCA noise and ended up running the front bumper into the a washed out hole, causing the need for a repainted front bumper? (My only reasonable options)

Whatever they did when they had the door panel off seems to have fixed it. They said the BCM didn't show any faults and that it would tell them if a relay was bad. Is this true?

DRCUSTOMPARTS
09-25-2010, 01:46 PM
I would try the reputable Chevrolet dealer and see how it goes. I may be wrong but I doubt that the BCM will indicate that a relay is out.

-Ray-
09-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Kirk Chevrolet / Pontiac in Goshen Indiana.

I guess they have not got their GM franchise back and I'm thinking its time to go somewhere else. The guy who I used to work with in service has left and I just don't feel comfortable with them anymore. So, with that being said, would you go to a former Pontiac dealer, a reputable Chevrolet dealer, or back to the selling dealer whom the service manager drove the car off road to test the LCA noise and ended up running the front bumper into the a washed out hole, causing the need for a repainted front bumper? (My only reasonable options)

Whatever they did when they had the door panel off seems to have fixed it. They said the BCM didn't show any faults and that it would tell them if a relay was bad. Is this true?

Too bad you don't live further South. Skillman is a great place to have a G8 serviced.

todds87ss
10-08-2010, 05:05 AM
In my simple mind, I cannot imagine a relay being at fault - at least in my case. My rear drivers side will "half lock" or "half unlock". So it is actuating, just not all of the way. Feels mechanical.

boomer
11-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Just got my rear drivers side replaced yesterday. After I get home, the rear passenger side starts doing it....coincidence? Not sure, but at least the one they fixed works.

I'm waiting to hear back from my dealer about getting the rear passenger side fixed now.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
11-12-2010, 09:18 PM
It seems whatever caused the drivers side to fail also caused the passenger side to fail. Hopefully they can fix that side too.

smso966
11-13-2010, 02:25 AM
My passenger's rear did same thing. Started somewhere around 25,000 miles. Dealer fixed and its been fine since.

todds87ss
11-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Just got my rear drivers side replaced yesterday. After I get home, the rear passenger side starts doing it....coincidence? Not sure, but at least the one they fixed works.

I'm waiting to hear back from my dealer about getting the rear passenger side fixed now.

Please post the parts replaced, so those of us outside of warranty can gain from your experience. Thanks.

Mav
11-14-2010, 04:03 PM
My drivers side door just started doing this last week. grrr...

SLRdude
11-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Mine has that and it is BAD.
My driver door will lock at random while open, and it cannot be closed or unlocked.
Worse thing is that after you spend your life time with a door that...well...closes... I almost broke mine several times due to that problem!
I once had to drive for almost 8 miles while holding the door closed with my left hand.

Mav
11-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Mine has that and it is BAD.
My driver door will lock at random while open, and it cannot be closed or unlocked.
Worse thing is that after you spend your life time with a door that...well...closes... I almost broke mine several times due to that problem!
I once had to drive for almost 8 miles while holding the door closed with my left hand.

That sounds like a definite BCM issue.

micheal0484
11-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Both of my passenger doors do it occasionally. Its quit annoying and I will be taking it to the dealer for a service soon. I'll let you guys know what they say.

TeddyInSTL
12-02-2010, 02:55 PM
My rear passenger door does it too. I have to hit the unlock three times, and then it always unlocks. I can hear it on the second and third time, but it does not unlock all the way until the third time. It just seems like something isn't moving correctly. I think it started shortly after I replaced the rear door speakers. I probably just need to take it apart and squirt some lube in there. My driver's side door lock makes a weird buzzing sound now too after replacing the front door speakers. I think the locks and cables are somewhat fussy.

jojofine
12-05-2010, 07:21 PM
this just started with mine

I tried to close my door the other day and all I heard was a "WHAM" and noticed it didn't actually close. If I open and close the back door it works fine after that. I plan on taking it in sometime this week to get that looked at

darkan
12-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Just took mine in for the same thing. That and my radio not turning off after I shut off the car and get out. Had to order the acuator for the rear door and a striker switch for my door. Hopefully it doesnt take that long to come in. Took 4 months to get my center a/c vents in.

EB

I just had the same problem. They replaced the actuator and switch in my driver's side door. Didn't take longer than a couple of days.

Darkmanx
01-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Ok so does anyone have a receit with the part numbers for people out of warranty because im having the issue with my driver side but cant find the damn partnumber.

GT-610
01-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Both of my passenger doors do it occasionally. Its quit annoying

my problem exactly! too bad im way outta warranty....i guess my passengers will have to be patient

Darkmanx
01-04-2011, 07:35 PM
my driver side is doing it sometimes i have to lock my door like 4 times and keep checking to make sure its locked but no one has a partnumber sigh

Blown396
01-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Let me check into it for you Darkmanx. I have a copy of the w/o here.

Blown396
01-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Left Front door latch assembly Part #92215257, Left rear Door lock actuator assembly Part #92215255

Hope this helps :)

Darkmanx
01-04-2011, 08:51 PM
awww thank you , i could lick your face right now. but why is the front one 16 dollars and the rear 46 hmmm
Left Front door latch assembly Part #92215257
right front door latch assembly part#92215256
Left rear Door lock actuator assembly Part #92215255
right rear door lock actuator assembly part #92215254
just went ahead and added the rest for others thats looking it seems to be a problem for most

Crazy Paul
01-04-2011, 11:51 PM
The Latest New Numbers Added

Left Front door latch assembly Part #92215257 ------> 92236014
right front door latch assembly part#92215256 ------> 92236013
Left rear Door lock actuator assembly Part #92215255 ------> 92236012
right rear door lock actuator assembly part #92215254 ------> 92236011

DarkPhoenix
01-07-2011, 04:51 PM
When I remover the relay for the drl's I found the relay for my door locks was not in all the way. Occasionally when I started the car the doors would lock. Now that the relay is in all the way, no more problem. Slightly unrelated...

Darkmanx
01-07-2011, 04:53 PM
When I remover the relay for the drl's I found the relay for my door locks was not in all the way. Occasionally when I started the car the doors would lock. Now that the relay is in all the way, no more problem. Slightly unrelated...

what relay>?

Chief
01-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Had the same issue with my rear passneger door. dealer fixed it. Now the rear drivers door is doing the same thing. Takes three pushes on the unlock button to get it to unlock. Car is 2 + years old.

The Yeti
01-10-2011, 12:39 PM
I just started having this issue. Only got 200 miles left on the 36000 mile warranty so I better take her in soon!

DarkPhoenix
01-10-2011, 02:17 PM
what relay>?

In the fuse box by your left foot when you are sitting in the driver's seat. One in there is for the door locks.

Blown396
01-11-2011, 07:12 AM
Now my trunk release acuator took a dump! My 36000 mi warranty just expired, too. I have the extended warranty but will have to pay $100 regardless. Anyone have the part # for this acuator? Maybe I can install it myself if it's cheaper than my deductible.

todds87ss
01-19-2011, 05:07 AM
The Latest New Numbers Added

Left Front door latch assembly Part #92215257 ------> 92236014
right front door latch assembly part#92215256 ------> 92236013
Left rear Door lock actuator assembly Part #92215255 ------> 92236012
right rear door lock actuator assembly part #92215254 ------> 92236011
With GM parts direct, I see two different prices for the same part. What gives?

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-19-2011, 09:24 AM
GMPD is a ripoff. They have the lowest price then overcharge for shipping, and it takes weeks to receive the parts. I always buy from monsterpartsonline, they have good prices and fast reasonably priced shipping.

todds87ss
01-19-2011, 10:12 AM
GMPD is a ripoff. They have the lowest price then overcharge for shipping, and it takes weeks to receive the parts. I always buy from monsterpartsonline, they have good prices and fast reasonably priced shipping.

Thanks for the tip. In this case, GMPD prices are (with shipping) 60.63 for 92215255 and 59.75 for 92236012. Both are less expensive than Monster, at 63.57 shipped. I have ordered from GMPD before, and am satisfied with the shipping method used and time to get to my door. I was really wondering why the difference in price for equal parts (although I have seen this before). I'm also curious if anyone has used this PN yet - 92236012

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Evidently GMPD has changed their ways then, probably since there's a lot of other GM parts suppliers popping up online lately. As for the price difference, they sell below suggested retail price so they can make their own prices. It all depends and how much profit they want to make on each part they sell.

Identity Crisis
01-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Mine just recently started doing this not locking or unlocking from time to time on the rear drivers side door. WEIRD?

66cat389
01-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Mine is doing it too, passenger side rear. Only when it's cold out though....

-Ray-
01-20-2011, 03:03 AM
I haven't had any door lock issues, and mine G8 has been to high pressure cars washes many times.
Water intrusion has to be coming from somewhere else.

todds87ss
01-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Evidently GMPD has changed their ways then, probably since there's a lot of other GM parts suppliers popping up online lately. As for the price difference, they sell below suggested retail price so they can make their own prices. It all depends and how much profit they want to make on each part they sell.

not wondering about the difference between vendors. I want to know why 2 of the same parts -"Left rear Door lock actuator assembly Part #92215255 ------> 92236012" have 2 different part numbers, and why those part numbers have different prices if they are indeed the same parts.

jboogie
02-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Where are these relays? Anyone have any pics or write up on how to change them? My pass side front door is doing this now.

GT-610
02-02-2011, 03:41 AM
lets see.....ice storm today.Me thinks this thread will get larger in post count today! :)

jboogie
02-02-2011, 06:57 AM
Hopefully our members arent that stupid...

GT-610
02-02-2011, 08:28 AM
:)

Slizzo
02-02-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm at 36.8k miles. Took car to dealer for service, mentioned the rear passenger door not unlocking. They are covering it under warranty for me.

jimmyban
02-03-2011, 10:08 AM
My part (driver rear) just came into the dealer today. Took about a week.

jboogie
02-04-2011, 06:39 AM
Where are these relays? Anyone have any pics or write up on how to change them? My pass side front door is doing this now.

Anyone??

jimmyban
08-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Resurrecting this older thread because the lock on "door #2" is starting to act up. Had the driver's rear replaced a while ago...passenger rear now. I'm out of base warranty but have extended. My dealer would probably take care of it anyway because it's the second time it's happened.

Be interested to hear if anyone else has had this issue in the past several months.

gray
08-16-2011, 05:35 PM
i dont really like going to my dealer so i search an trusty independent mechanic in my area to save bucks.

Slizzo
08-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Resurrecting this older thread because the lock on "door #2" is starting to act up. Had the driver's rear replaced a while ago...passenger rear now. I'm out of base warranty but have extended. My dealer would probably take care of it anyway because it's the second time it's happened.

Be interested to hear if anyone else has had this issue in the past several months.

Haven't had a problem since my passenger rear actuator was replaced. However my seat belt buckle likes to stick pretty hard in warmer weather. Has anyone seen that?

---
- Posted by iPhone4 via Tapatalk

Crazy_A
08-20-2011, 10:05 AM
I had the problem once, that I am aware of, on the driver door.

WhiteBeastG8
08-22-2011, 07:07 PM
my car has the same door lock issue but with the driver's side door , i get pissed every time i think my door is locked and i walk back to the car to make sure its locked , and it opens ... grrrr but i'll be taking it in later this week , my car's been to the dealership atleast 10 times for warranty work lol .. i just took my car in last week to replace the plastic trim moulding that run's across the top of the car...

Call-Me-D
10-08-2011, 06:10 AM
Reviving an old thread here.....I'm having the issue now with the rear driver side. BOOOOO!!!

To those who have changed the actuator yourselves, how difficult is it?

Mav
10-08-2011, 07:02 PM
I have this issue when its cold out. Another issue i have is when i go to close mydoor from the inside the door bangs against metal. I figured that i need to pull the door handle from the inside to get the parts in alignment so i can close thedoor. Ha.

Darkmanx
10-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Reviving an old thread here.....I'm having the issue now with the rear driver side. BOOOOO!!!

To those who have changed the actuator yourselves, how difficult is it?
takes 5 minutes. for the front i havnt done the rear

Call-Me-D
10-08-2011, 07:21 PM
takes 5 minutes. for the front i havnt done the rearSweet....I would think the rear would be about the same.... Although,I have been wrong before. Thanks!

Darkmanx
10-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Sweet....I would think the rear would be about the same.... Although,I have been wrong before. Thanks!

its just 3 screws on the side of the door that you need to pull and it falls right out

Birdman330
11-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Hate to revive an old thread but it happened to me, rear passenger actuator was giving out replaced under warranty driver side rear was acting up but now its fine with the other one replaced.

at10
12-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Yikes, something to watch for while I'm still under warranty. Thanks for the heads up.

roman1978
03-25-2014, 11:03 AM
its happening to me now any aftermarket parts available for this repair

JWSDenver
04-01-2014, 06:18 PM
funny that I ran across this as it just started to happen to me on drivers rear door. I thought it was because I replaced the speaker in that door.

Slizzo
04-01-2014, 09:03 PM
funny that I ran across this as it just started to happen to me on drivers rear door. I thought it was because I replaced the speaker in that door.

Mine sticks too, drivers rear. Have to unlock twice to make sure that it opens. So that will be two actuators that will have been replaced on my car.

TheWhiteKnight
06-09-2014, 07:55 AM
My drivers side door is now doing this. Any updated part numbers/write ups to get this fixed. Biggest problem is knowing what needs to be changed out, seems there is talk of 3 different issues that can happen??

edfiero
08-04-2014, 08:21 AM
Me too. Looking for write up and latest part number to buy for the Drivers Rear door actuator.

edfiero
08-04-2014, 11:32 AM
FWIW, GM Parts Direct is still giving me the Original part numbers listed in this thread as the 'current' values when I emailed them, and not the updated numbers from Crazy Paul. Not sure why there isn't a clearer answer to this quesstion.