PDA

View Full Version : 12.746@110.87 ughhhhh!

g8_795
11-23-2008, 03:19 PM
So this was my first time at the track since starting to tune the G8 myself and not using the VMS tune. I was very happy with the results but now I am really hitting the rev limiter. I now hit the rev limiter 0.54 seconds before I cross the line. I think I either have to get slightly taller tires or shift to 4th. I currently have the rev limiter at 6400. I don't want to go much beyond that. Also, I can no longer hook up off the line. I need some DR's for next season. My days of 1.90x's are long gone until then.

Results:
60': 1.977
330': 5.441
1/8 MPH: 86.99
1000': 10.706
1/4: 12.746
1/4 MPH: 110.87

What are others doing to end the 1/4 mile? Shifting? Blowing engine up? :poof:

-Robert

Robert@KBXPerformance
11-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Having to shift more often comes with the territory when you are running faster. Unless they are running some tall ass tires most guys going middle 12's will probably end up having to shift to 4th gear before the traps. Your trap speeds are just 1MPH under mine and I had to shift to 4th in the traps.

locrzn#92
11-23-2008, 07:54 PM
I don't have a tune and mine is on the rev. limiter about the last 100ft or so. It didn't do it with my aftermarket 19's which are about 3/8" taller then my stock 18's. So, I got rid of my 245-45-18's and put 255's all round, filled out the wheelwells and should keep my off the rev limiter next time out. Mine only runs 13.50's and I think my rev limiter is 6000or 6200.

GeorgeInNePa
11-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Having to shift more often comes with the territory when you are running faster. Unless they are running some tall ass tires most guys going middle 12's will probably end up having to shift to 4th gear before the traps. Your trap speeds are just 1MPH under mine and I had to shift to 4th in the traps.

This is the reason I think 3.27s are the right gears.

GRRRR8
11-24-2008, 07:54 AM
This is the reason I think 3.27s are the right gears.

Or a 26 + inch tall tire would do the trick. I dont know if the 3.27s will pull a high enough rpm through the traps.

GeorgeInNePa
11-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Or a 26 + inch tall tire would do the trick. I dont know if the 3.27s will pull a high enough rpm through the traps.

My RPM, after the shift, is around 4600. Right in the meat. With a lower gear, I should get nice acceleration in 4th.

Of course, I'm starting to think about FI. Add up cam and Dod replacement, head work, and a new rear diff. You're close to a TT system.

GRRRR8
11-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Or a 7.0/7.4 and you are making more! Hint Hint! LOL

GeorgeInNePa
11-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Or a 7.0/7.4 and you are making more! Hint Hint! LOL

Yes, but at over twice the cost.

GRRRR8
11-24-2008, 09:08 AM
All depends on how you look at it. If you Maggie/TT minimum 7k + install/tuning. Then to get the most out of it it WILL need better pistons and rods and maybe even a crank. Now you are at the cost of a 7.0 crate motor. Since I would not buy a crate motor as it would have the wrong cam etc for my needs. I think a built 427 can be had for 12-15 and thats for over 650hp to the wheels that isnt too wild and can take a big shot of juice too. All in all I like all the combos, I just want N/A for now because I know anytime you push a FI car on a stock bottom end it breaks, ALWAYS!

wreckwriter
11-24-2008, 09:12 AM
I honestly think that any power-adder, pushed beyond the minimum, will eventually play hell with our cast pistons, rods and crank. Safe for a while yes, long term, I doubt it.

GRRRR8
11-24-2008, 09:32 AM
I think our motors/driveline in good for 500-550 as long as the torque is not more then 475-500 for a long time. Those are N/A #s. Plus I want the N/A sound that you dont go real hectic with an FI cam unless it has a bottom end that can handle a lot of boost. I like the TT set up. Most days I wish I had done it when I had the cash, but I like my LTs more!

GeorgeInNePa
11-24-2008, 09:59 AM
All depends on how you look at it. If you Maggie/TT minimum 7k + install/tuning. Then to get the most out of it it WILL need better pistons and rods and maybe even a crank. Now you are at the cost of a 7.0 crate motor. Since I would not buy a crate motor as it would have the wrong cam etc for my needs. I think a built 427 can be had for 12-15 and thats for over 650hp to the wheels that isnt too wild and can take a big shot of juice too. All in all I like all the combos, I just want N/A for now because I know anytime you push a FI car on a stock bottom end it breaks, ALWAYS!

I honestly think that any power-adder, pushed beyond the minimum, will eventually play hell with our cast pistons, rods and crank. Safe for a while yes, long term, I doubt it.

I think our motors/driveline in good for 500-550 as long as the torque is not more then 475-500 for a long time. Those are N/A #s. Plus I want the N/A sound that you dont go real hectic with an FI cam unless it has a bottom end that can handle a lot of boost. I like the TT set up. Most days I wish I had done it when I had the cash, but I like my LTs more!

I want hi 11s, low 12s. My car is a DD and a family car. I want to be able to hit the strip, maybe once a month or so. Maybe less than that.

I want good road manners, my wife might drive it. BUT I want POWER when I want it.

I'm beginning to see the advantages to the DARK SIDE, FI.

I think what I need is approx 500 to 525 hp. The install isn't going to be a problem, I have a lot of time on my hands. ;)

GRRRR8
11-24-2008, 10:40 AM
I want hi 11s, low 12s. My car is a DD and a family car. I want to be able to hit the strip, maybe once a month or so. Maybe less than that.

I want good road manners, my wife might drive it. BUT I want POWER when I want it.

I'm beginning to see the advantages to the DARK SIDE, FI.

I think what I need is approx 500 to 525 hp. The install isn't going to be a problem, I have a lot of time on my hands. ;)

On slicks with cam and heads you will be there. New Era ran 12.1 with a DOD cam and no head work.

g8_795
11-24-2008, 11:37 AM
How much RPM do you think these engines can handle if we replace the DOD lifters? That might be part of the answer to getting higher trap speeds in third along with slightly taller tires.

GRRRR8
11-24-2008, 11:56 AM
6500-6700 then the bottom end balancing and quality starts coming into play.

GeorgeInNePa
11-24-2008, 03:00 PM
On slicks with cam and heads you will be there. New Era ran 12.1 with a DOD cam and no head work.

Yes, but it seems that with FI it's possible on street tires. Sacrifice the bottom and pick it up in the back half.

I'm not committed to either, right now. Just exploring options.

;)

wreckwriter
11-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Yes, but it seems that with FI it's possible on street tires. Sacrifice the bottom and pick it up in the back half.

I'm not committed to either, right now. Just exploring options.

;)

I'm looking in a similar direction. Getting DRs is proving problematic. My track is 75 miles away, I wouldn't want to get caught in the rain with DRs on that far from home and I do not have someone to come to the races with me in a truck to carry wheels, jack and tools for me. I thought about a small trailer but it dawns on me that I have no place to put it when I'm not using it. I really have no place to store a set of wheels either, my shed is already bursting.

It may be that there are some street tires that will provide better grip than what I have a eliminate the tire dance.

jbradsh1
11-24-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm looking in a similar direction. Getting DRs is proving problematic. My track is 75 miles away, I wouldn't want to get caught in the rain with DRs on that far from home and I do not have someone to come to the races with me in a truck to carry wheels, jack and tools for me. I thought about a small trailer but it dawns on me that I have no place to put it when I'm not using it. I really have no place to store a set of wheels either, my shed is already bursting.

It may be that there are some street tires that will provide better grip than what I have a eliminate the tire dance.

Lease your house; find one with a 3 car garage that you like; buy that house; problem solved.

MANOFSTEEL69
11-24-2008, 06:42 PM

I can fit my 18" DR's in the trunk, along with jack and lug wrench.....So you shouldn't have a problem there.

locrzn#92
11-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Just put the twin turbo from house of boost and keep your same motor. I think 637 hp should do the trick. Its gonna be a lot more to built a 427 ls motor

GRRRR8
11-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Just put the twin turbo from house of boost and keep your same motor. I think 637 hp should do the trick. Its gonna be a lot more to built a 427 ls motor

Not once the motor takes a shit with the TTs. There is no way that motor will hold up with the stock pistons and rods. I think it is AWESOME what that car does, but in the real world, everyday driver, that thing will blow if it is kept at the 637hp power level. That is not saying that a 650 hp 427 cant break, its just saying a stock L76 will much faster.

bwooten492
11-25-2008, 05:03 PM
I say cam and nitrous. Then it will be pretty streetable but make big power when you want it to.