Brand:SOLO
Price:$448 delivered,tax free
Purchased From: Solo-performance.com

Installation: Super easy!
Installation Time: 20-25 mins
Installation Tip: use some WD40 on the bolts before you crack em

Quality of Part: 10 (1 to 10)
Product Performance: 10 for sound!
Would you Recommend to Others: Hell yeah!!!!

Called them up,Jeff helped me place the order(absolute gentlemen)and 2 days later,today,their on!
Love the look of the dual tips and sounds awesome! Not too loud,no drone! Muscle car all the way!

Slizzo
08-30-2010, 01:30 PM
That your only exhaust mod?

I'm kicking around the idea of doing a mid-muffler delete and putting in an X (keeping stock resonators after that). Not sure if it would be too loud though.

I do ultimately want a full Solo catback though.

GT-610
08-30-2010, 04:06 PM
then why not get the full solo catback? its sound almost the same as what I have,a little louder and you gain 12 hp(solo claims). I spent almost 2k on my car last month or two and have another 2k for disney next month so the full kit wasnt in the budget this month..I might add the rest someday but all I really wanted was shiny new tips and a badass sound.I got both for less than 450! Actually I feel a little more throttle response too!

Slizzo
08-30-2010, 05:18 PM
then why not get the full solo catback? its sound almost the same as what I have,a little louder and you gain 12 hp(solo claims). I spent almost 2k on my car last month or two and have another 2k for disney next month so the full kit wasnt in the budget this month..I might add the rest someday but all I really wanted was shiny new tips and a badass sound.I got both for less than 450! Actually I feel a little more throttle response too!

Because I have the same thing minus the j-pipes for $160. ;) (well, it's not full stainless but that is OK)

Crazy8
08-31-2010, 02:40 AM
I have some on the way this week. I've heard them on a GT and sounded awesome and I am curious how they will sound on a GXP. I also have an xpipe sitting around if I need more sound.

GT-610
08-31-2010, 02:23 PM
You wont be sorry!

majesticix
09-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Solo Axleback + X-pipe = Pure love.

Actually makes the axlebacks alone sound like a weak mod by comparison. Would give the Solo catbacks a run for their money (I believe it is louder and compared to a few I've heard, it sounds better). I think the HFC + Catbacks would probably beat it out still, but they aren't as deep sounding. These axlebacks are really freaking deep. The X-pipe opens up the range and gives it a much fuller sound, but maintains the depth. If you're looking for more sound out of the axlebacks, slap on an X-pipe and keep the resonators. You'll be blown away!

Slizzo
09-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Solo Axleback + X-pipe = Pure love.

Actually makes the axlebacks alone sound like a weak mod by comparison. Would give the Solo catbacks a run for their money (I believe it is louder and compared to a few I've heard, it sounds better). I think the HFC + Catbacks would probably beat it out still, but they aren't as deep sounding. These axlebacks are really freaking deep. The X-pipe opens up the range and gives it a much fuller sound, but maintains the depth. If you're looking for more sound out of the axlebacks, slap on an X-pipe and keep the resonators. You'll be blown away!

How loud is your car majesticix? Is it obnoxious loud (wake up the neighbors?) Hard to tell from the videos, but it does sound good!

GT-610
09-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Im actaully perfectly content with the axle backs..wife loves them too! If I ever did more,I would get the rest of the solo catback just because they should get my money for the great job they did with their exaust!

Slizzo
09-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Im actaully perfectly content with the axle backs..wife loves them too! If I ever did more,I would get the rest of the solo catback just because they should get my money for the great job they did with their exaust!

Yeah, I'm just wondering what would happen if I removed my center muffler and replaced it with an H or X.

majesticix
09-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Definitely not obnoxious loud...though I would probably wake a neighbor if I opened the throttle up. Leaving at a leisure pace is just fine. It is considerably louder than just the axle-back alone when the throttle opens. It's actually a hair quieter at cruising speed if you can believe that?!? I'd say maybe 5% quieter at cruising speed (seems like it would be unnoticeable, but I could tell). No change to AFM mind you, just 8cyl seems a touch quieter cruising.

When you punch it though, it is probably 40% louder. The tone is also completely different. Really opens it up. The video I took unfortunately wasn't real good (the start-up was) but the drive-by's sound muffled because of the wind and heavy traffic. The last part of the video where you can hear my car but can't see it in the distance starts to give you an idea of what it sounds like. It can be f'n loud when it wants too, but not obnoxious loud. (Aka, my ears aren't ringing from it).

If you're satisfied with the volume of your axles...then this might not be a great option. It's tone is unquestionably better with the addition of the x-pipe, but it is quite louder. I think it is damn near perfect. I would like a set of headers, but on my current system, that would be obnoxious loud without some kind of mid-muffler.

Slizzo
09-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Answers my question quite well. Looks like I'll be removing the mid muffler and putting an X or H pipe in it's place.

Leaning towards an H pipe. I'd like to hear how it sounds.

majesticix
09-09-2010, 11:47 AM
H would be interesting...

GT-610
09-09-2010, 12:31 PM
the salesman told me that the full catback system was barely louder or different than the axle back though,so I think what they do as far as an x pipe is different than what you did

Slizzo
09-09-2010, 01:25 PM
the salesman told me that the full catback system was barely louder or different than the axle back though,so I think what they do as far as an x pipe is different than what you did

Yeah, well the full catback (depending on what you have) does use a mid muffler with crossover in it. Without a doubt the unbalanced shorty would be louder than what you or I are running on our cars right now.

Crazy8
09-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I've got the Solo Axlebacks on my GXP. They sound freaking great. It is loud, so I can't imagine taking the resonators or adding an xpipe. My wife would kill me. I wonder if the GXP is louder than a GT with just axlebacks?

Slizzo
09-09-2010, 05:28 PM
I've got the Solo Axlebacks on my GXP. They sound freaking great. It is loud, so I can't imagine taking the resonators or adding an xpipe. My wife would kill me. I wonder if the GXP is louder than a GT with just axlebacks?

Stock GXP is louder than stock GT. Not sure if that is due to the mufflers entirely or not. I do know that the mufflers ARE different in design, and not just the tips.

I don't know if anyone has cut open the mid muffler on a GT, or if the GXP even has a mid muffler.

Crazy8
09-09-2010, 08:58 PM
I know the stock GXP mufflers are definitely a little louder and more rumbly than the GT mufflers. I drove a guys GT that had an xpipe and solo axlebacks. I swear my GXP with only the Solo axlebacks on it now and nothing else done to the exhaust is just as loud, if not louder.

Rubbabubi
09-09-2010, 11:16 PM
I installed my Solo axlebacks about two weeks ago and it sounds amazing. I have an x-pipe installed as well that replaced the mid-muffler. I had the x-pipe put on before I even got the Solo axlebacks so I'm not sure exactly what it sounds like without that, but either way, my setup is amazing. I just love that V8 rumble that I get at idle. Most people have told me that the x-pipe mainly gives it that great idle sound, but doesn't really help much with the rest of the sound. I highly recommend my setup and I get compliments on it daily. At our last local G8 meeting, people were loving my exhaust setup better than others with Magnaflows, Corsa, etc. The only ones that sounded the better than mine, at least in my opinion, were the G8s that were supercharged or were very heavily modified. If you want the best sounding exhaust while keeping your G8 mostly stock, the Solo axlebacks are clearly the best option. Unlike some others have said, I would like mine to be even louder so headers will probably be in the near future for me. BTW my x-pipe with install only cost me $100.

majesticix
09-10-2010, 08:09 AM
x-pipe doesn't make much of a difference with the stock axlebacks on or probably on a muffler axleback, but the difference with the Solo axleback with an x-pipe is truly, night and day. I ran the solo axlebacks alone for a few months. Sounded great, but the x-pipe addition turned it completely around. Quite honestly the difference with the x-pipe addition was like going from the washer mod to the solo axlebacks.

I've demoed a few Solo catbacks and mine was louder on all accounts except for two who had the HFC installed (and the other long tubes, no comparison on that one)...though mine sounded a bit deeper.

Can't comment on the GXP...entirely different. The exhaust is different, the engine is different, all make for different variables. All else being equal, I would only think whatever you did to the GXP it would sound better. I'd be interested to hear it though with just the Solo axlebacks. I swear those .2L make the engines really growl. My dad's stock SS M6 camaro isn't nearly as loud, but it still has the killer growl. Though I'd say mine has developed quite a growl, I can imagine a modification to the exhaust on that or the GXP would really wake it up!

GT-610
09-10-2010, 11:09 AM
I just got off the phone with steve over at solo and between what im reading and what he said,I think im gonna leave it alone.I dont really want a noticeable increase in volume from where im at right now.its still my DD and with i son and a baby on the way,i dont want obnoxious exaust

Slizzo
09-10-2010, 11:22 AM
I just got off the phone with steve over at solo and between what im reading and what he said,I think im gonna leave it alone.I dont really want a noticeable increase in volume from where im at right now.its still my DD and with i son and a baby on the way,i dont want obnoxious exaust

I think a V2 +J (you already have the J's) might give you a small increase in volume, and not be loud. The V2 is the quietest setup that Solo makes. It's basically their Mach Balanced with "T" pipe.

Actually, a member here or on the other boards has one for sale. I believe he's in the Rochester area.

GT-610
09-10-2010, 11:52 AM
nah...gonna stay where it is...sounds awesome and still quiet when I want it to be

Slizzo
09-10-2010, 12:12 PM
nah...gonna stay where it is...sounds awesome and still quiet when I want it to be

Sounds good man! After having the straight pipes on for about a year I'm ready for a little more volume.

However, you saying you have a couple critters makes sense that you still want it relatively tame.

BlackGT5
09-10-2010, 12:25 PM
I think a V2 +J (you already have the J's) might give you a small increase in volume, and not be loud. The V2 is the quietest setup that Solo makes. It's basically their Mach Balanced with "T" pipe.

Actually, a member here or on the other boards has one for sale. I believe he's in the Rochester area.

In addition to the "T", the V2+J also has an X-pipe that is not on the Mach balanced.

jnak
09-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Here is my review:

Brand: Solo Performance Mach Balance cat-back exhaust
Price: $840 US shipped
Purchased From: solo-performance.com

Installation: moderate
Installation Time: 4 hours using ramps and jack stands
Any Installation Tips You Have: use WD-40 on all bolts. Check the pipes for any packing peanuts before installing. Take your time lining up the tips.

Quality of Part: 10
Product Performance: 10
Would you Recommend to Others: Absolutely!

Any Other Comments:
This is one of the quieter kits that Solo sells. Install was pretty easy, even in the garage on ramps and jack stands. They used a ton of packing peanuts in the box though, and even though I checked the pipes, a few of them shot out the tailpipes when I first started the car. Many people say that this system is "drone-free" which is not really true in my opinion. At highway speeds, in V8 mode, the exhaust is stock-quiet. However, once the AFM kicks in, it sounds like a fat man farting into a tuba. It's really quite bad. This is worst at speeds of around 120 km/h; at 100 or 110 km/h it's not bad. That's the only downside I have found to this system so far, and this can easily be eliminated by putting the transmission into manual mode. At lower speeds, it's fine - there is not really any drone.

The j-pipes work well - there is a "dead spot" from about 1,500 to 2,000 RPM where there is virtually no exhaust noise unless you go 1/2 throttle or more. Below 1,500 there is a low rumble and above 2,000 it starts to be a lot more aggressive. The noise at WOT is beautiful - it has a very smooth, refined note. I find myself using manual mode all the time now, just to enjoy the exhaust sound. If you're looking for a fairly quiet system, just a few notches louder than stock, then this is the one for you. If you want something loud, go with one of Solo's other kits.

-Ray-
09-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Great review James.

StrykerBlue09
12-17-2010, 02:30 AM
Hey i thought i would chime in on my exhaust that ive done on my G8. When i first got it i was really wanting it to be loud but really didnt want to spend alot of money on exhaust. I went to my buddies muffler shop and told him to cut it all off. All i kept on there was the cats of course but from there to the back i put straight pipes in except i did install a magnaflow x pipe. They did cut the tips off my facotry muffler and welded them back on my new exhaust so i would still have factory tips. When i left i was amazed at how well it sounded on take off and cruising down the road until i hit interstate and my brain started to itch. I then realized it was the drone that was vibrating my braing so much, lol. I drove it like that for a month or so but the drone was so loud that cruising at 70ish MPH it was loud enough you had to speek up if someone else was in the car. Well after many days of looking on the forum i decided to email Solo Performance and i told them what i had and they suggested the J Pipe exhaust. I was smart when i originally had all my exhaust done and i had them keep all of the axle back pipe and flanges on there in case i ever chaged the axle back part so that way i still had it where i could bolt it up. Now i was currently overseas when all this was done and my dad had drove it many times before putting the solo exhaust on it and when i called him to ask him how the j pipe axleback sounded he said it was definently alot better and sounds great. Now i have gone on vacation and have drove it and it sounds great and not loud at all but when you want to let someone know you got a v8 then they will know when you give it gas. I love starting it up because of the rumble it gives and when it does people look. Now ive started it inside my house and its really not that loud, now if its in your garage your going to hear a rumble but hey its a 6.0 it should be allowed to do that. The only slight negative i would say is when AFM kicks in, it doesnt sound bad but the pitch changes. It doesnt get on my nerves its just one of those things thats there about 5% of driving. I look at it this way, i get a great sounding exhaust and my exhaust even tells me when my engine is saving gas lol. Well if i had to go back and do it all over again and have the choice to spend alot of money on a cat back exhaust or do it this route i would do the same thing because even with other exhaust it still gives you a quiter exhaust.

Slizzo
12-17-2010, 08:04 AM
Yeah, I had my Solo J's welded onto my existing pipes last month, killed the drone excellently.

I still want to put an H pipe on to replace my mid-muffler though. :)

majesticix
01-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Slapped a Solo axleback on another guy's G8 over the holiday...forgot how quiet it is lol. I should preface that at stock, I was blown away. I've completely forgotten how silent the car is. Once we put the axle-backs on we got a little more rumble out of it, sounded good, though I'll admit it's a wee bit quieter than I remembered. Glad I put the X on...really wakes everything up. It can get loud in these winter months though.

As for AFM, which is a problem I feel above 68mph, I just had my tune adjusted so AFM doesn't engage much above 60mph. Works great. The transition can be occasionally annoying but worth it.

williamGT
01-02-2011, 02:42 PM
i might get a free set of shorty doug thorley headers, if I do then I will buy the solo HFC's and Mach shorty.

bfulbright
01-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Tune out AFM with a cortex or another tuner and everything is good. Gas mileage will be affected a little but not as bad as you would think.

sdown
05-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Just got back from the Solo shop in Mississauga and I am very pleased. I had been kicking the tires on a Solo axle-back or cat-back for about 3 months. After exchanging numerous e-mails with Jeff at Solo I scheduled an appointment for today and was immediately impressed with their facility. I discussed cat-back vs. axle-back with a couple of the guys there and decided on doing the Mach Balanced cat-back with 3" tips for $880 installed. Once the car was on the hoist you could really see how restrictive the stock set-up is. I have a Cortex tune and a Roto-fab intake with stock manifolds and stock cats.

Install took about 45 minutes and I'm glad I had them do it, because there is a science to getting an exhaust perfectly straight and aligned. While I was waiting, the staff was always stopping by the bay to chat with me and inviting me to look around the shop and watch the install. The build quality of the parts is amazing and these people take there trade very seriously.

Started it up and tapped the throttle a bit and it's very smooth. The note is very deep with a little bit of burble on decelleration. You can control the volume with the gas pedal, which is exactly what I was looking for. I had Pypes axle-backs previously on this car and you can not control the volume. Those Violators start out loud and then get louder as you start to roll.

The inside volume (in the car) is almost the same as stock, with no drone (I have AFM tuned out) that I could detect. You can hear the exhaust with the windows down or if you hammer it, though.

The 3" tips really fill up the stock GT diffuser and look much nicer than stock. The reason I went with cat-back instead of axle-back is twofold: 1) the cat-back sounds slightly deeper than the axle-back; and (2) I may want to do headers and hi-flo cats someday. Solo makes a hi-flo cat kit that mates their cat-back to Kooks headers, so I have that option.

I'm a 40 year old guy that lives in suburbia and I have to take my kids to early morning hockey practices and this is my daily driver. I have tried a few exhaust options and the interior noise was always an issue with my kids/wife and the Pypes were just too loud on winter mornings at 5:00 am. I think I probably represent a sizeable demographic on this board so I would highly recommend this set-up for you.

slideadams
05-14-2011, 07:04 AM
I'm putting on the hi-flow cats asap. Can't wait. Everything I've read about SOLO on all the forums has been positive!