PDA

View Full Version : Skyline Run / Fall 2010

Live A Little
08-23-2010, 07:15 PM
It's official.....Oct 2nd (Saturday) will be our 3rd Skyline Run!!!!

Hosted by Capital City G8 Car Club.

Meeting Spot:
Target Store
13301 Gateway Center Dr.
Gainesville, VA 20155

Time: 9am

I will give out the route that morning when we all meet up. Last spring, we had 14 G8s and I have a feeling that we will come close to doubling the cars on this run and I don't want to make our route public, if you know what I mean. Last spring, some of us used radios. I would recommend that you bring/purchase a Motorola Talk-About radio so everyone knows what's going on.

For those those that have not been on a Skyline Run.....I'll just put it this way, you don't want to miss it. We will be driving through the Shenandoah mountains and having lunch at one of the lodges. The average is around $10 for lunch. You'll find that some of us like to "test" our rides, while others take the relaxed approach. No worries. Which ever you like, we always stick together...somewhat. Without saying too much, this is the time that we explore our cars capabilities. Last spring, we even had a couple from N. Carolina join us.

Let me know if you have any questions. If not, I'll see you there.

Update: I'm keeping an eye on the weather, but this area changes by the minute. If it rains on the 2nd, then the Run will be pushed out to the 3rd. Same meet spot and time. If it rains during the entire weekend, then it will be pushed out to the 16th.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!!

Update: To enter Skyline Drive, the National Park Service requires a $15 entrance fee. They will take cash or credit card.

gtxgp
09-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Who from the Richmond and Hampton Roads area want to go up for this event?

Kermit
09-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm contemplating going Steve. I might combine it with a visit up to the D.C. area and see the sights for the GF. Only issue would be her not enjoying the "spirited" ride on the twisters. It would be hard not to want to join in.

2QUIK4U
09-09-2010, 02:24 PM
I live in Chesterfield which is just outside of Richmond and I am definitely going. Let me know if you guys want to meet up and cruise up there together. Tell your girlfriend to deal with it. Mine is excited about going

gtxgp
09-10-2010, 05:01 AM
We have to convoy up there guys, Steve you have to go! Like the old days!

Kermit
09-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Like the old days? I did not have a co-pilot except for Kermit like I do now. :) Remember every once in a while the foot likes to keep the fast peddle down longer than it should be. Especially if there is some bone head ahead that is driving crazy.

gtxgp
09-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Well, I do remember this type of situation, but we will all behave if we go up.

Live A Little
09-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Glad to see you guys coming up for this!!!! Trust me, you WILL NOT be dissapointed!!

The routes/plans have been finalized, but won't be handed out until we meet that morning. I've also added something new to this Run. The "finish line" will be at Glory Days Bar/Grill in Gainesville.

gtxgp
09-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Can I get an idea of who is planing to go to this?? Who wants to meet in Richmond and Caravan up? This includes any of you NC guys.

Live A Little
09-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Between 3 boards, we have close to 20 G8s going. I'm expecting just over 20 to actually be there.

Live A Little
09-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Poll added at the top.

gtxgp
09-19-2010, 04:52 AM
Thanks Mike for the reply, I was hoping to create a caravan up to you guys, that in itself is a very fun part of any car related trip. I see I have two people, one of which I am friends with, that are interested in coming from these parts. It seems locally there is not a very active G8 crowd but we will continue to try to get together.

See you the 2nd will you guys have shirts for sale there?

Steve

whiterp199
09-19-2010, 06:03 AM
I am about three hours away and possibly would come down. How long of a drive do you go on. Is it like an 8 hour drive during the day? I am just looking for some details as I would have a decent drive to get there and home.

Live A Little
09-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Good to hear Steve!! Sorry, but I don't have any shirts on me. But, you're more than welcome to order some from our site. I don't think they can make them before the 2nd, but if so, I can also pick them up for anyone that wants to order them and bring them to the Run.

Whiterp199.....The Run usually takes an average of 6 hours. We'll meet up in the morning where there is a Starbucks right accross the street, then lunch about half way thru and this year, I've added a local bar/grill as the finish line. The finish line is about a mile from where we start.

Also, we have plenty of local hotels nearby for anyone that needs one. If you're a light sleeper, I would not recommend the Hampton Inn in Gainesville due to a railroad track that passes right beside the hotel. The plus side is that the hotel is in the same parking lot as the meeting spot.

Atlas
09-19-2010, 05:48 PM
how far away is the meeting point from Roanoke?? im interested in coming, but i dont want to drive four hours just to meet up...

Live A Little
09-19-2010, 06:26 PM
how far away is the meeting point from Roanoke?? im interested in coming, but i dont want to drive four hours just to meet up...

You going to be looking at about a 3 - 3.5 hour drive in the morning. If anything, we already have some guys/gals that are coming from a further distance. Since we going along, inside and around Skyline, you can also choose an option of jumping off to turn back towards Roanoke. One of our NC friends did that on our last run.

whiterp199
09-20-2010, 03:44 AM
Sounds like it would be a good time. I am going to try and make it.

Live A Little
09-20-2010, 04:23 AM
If you click on the link, within my signature, and go to "pictures", you'll see our videos from our last Skyline Run.

Live A Little
09-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Update: I'm keeping an eye on the weather, but this area changes by the minute. If it rains on the 2nd, then the Run will be pushed out to the 3rd. Same meet spot and time. If it rains during the entire weekend, then it will be pushed out to the 16th.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!!

whiterp199
09-22-2010, 07:36 PM
I have come to the decision that I a have to go. So count my maybe as a yes. I will see you all next Saturday.

Live A Little
09-23-2010, 03:57 AM
I have come to the decision that I a have to go. So count my maybe as a yes. I will see you all next Saturday.

Right on!! Glad to hear it!!!

Live A Little
10-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Good times!!! We had a total of 23 G8s for this run and everyone came home safe. If anyone wants to share their pics or videos, please email them to ccg8cc@hotmail.com I'm going to put everything together and then post it.

The only encounter we had with our boys in blue was on the way home. Luckly, it looked like he pinged a PBM. Since we had several, it seemed that he didn't know which one to pull over and turned around.

Thanks for everyone coming out. Especially the ones traveling from the Tidewater, Richmond, N. MD and PA areas!!! Time to start making plans for next year!!

Kermit
10-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Was going to make it but other things happened to keep us from going. Curious, who from Tidewater made it?

Live A Little
10-03-2010, 01:44 PM
One of our CCG8 guys lives in Tidewater. He's not on the other boards too much.

Live A Little
10-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Here are some pics of our Fall 2010 Skyline Run.

http://capitalcityg8carclub.shutterfly.com/pictures/1107

procsG8
10-06-2010, 04:32 PM
pics look great

PMD G8
10-06-2010, 08:16 PM
The GTO group does something similar to this around the Tail of the Dragon / Blue Ridge Parkway / Moonshiner 28 area in North Carolina. I'm going with them again this year in the G8 for the second time the weekend of October 22nd through the 24th. They make a whole weekend out of it with a whole motel entirely booked with GTO...well, with me, Pontiac owners. :) If anyone else is interested in tagging along you're free to join. There is another former GTO owner now GXP owner going as well.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374237

BigV8
10-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Fantastic pics! Looked like a great time!