PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous fuel pressure safety switch- 3rd gear

wreckwriter
11-22-2008, 09:28 AM
We all know about the "3rd gear trick" and likely most of us are using it for our 1/4 mile runs. Now on my car the rev limiter hits pretty much immediately after the traps, yours may be a bit different but probably not a great deal.

The rev limiter, as I understand it, works by cutting off fuel delivery. When running nitrous you have a switch/solenoid which cuts off the nitrous when the fuel pressure falls below the required amount. Presumably this switch would be activated on the rev limiter cutting the fuel.

How reliable are these switches? it seems to me that unless they are completely reliable you're taking a huge risk on every run unless you let it shift to 4th. Is there any sort of backup safety system that can be installed?

Conversely, am I missing something or do I just worry too much?

GeorgeInNePa
11-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Tom, if you're not comfortable, you should just sell it.

:nah:

Burn!!!

GRRRR8
11-22-2008, 02:12 PM
LMAO! If you are using a controller(timer) you can have it shut it off at a certain point, or raise the limiter and eliminate that issue. I have been bouncing off the limiter all week in the cool weather.

GeorgeInNePa
11-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Since I had VMS raise the limiter to 6400, I haven't hit it.

GRRRR8
11-22-2008, 02:32 PM
I really need to get it done and the tune for the headers.

-Ray-
11-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Tom, I'd let it shift.

99-LS1-SS
11-22-2008, 03:34 PM
I agree with Ray. Odds are with nitrous you are going to be WAY past the top of third gear before you get to the end of the track so you might as well let it shift to 4th and keep rolling.

wreckwriter
11-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Tom, if you're not comfortable, you should just sell it.

:nah:

Burn!!!

Heh, Nice George! But I haven't bought it yet!

wreckwriter
11-22-2008, 04:50 PM
I agree with Ray. Odds are with nitrous you are going to be WAY past the top of third gear before you get to the end of the track so you might as well let it shift to 4th and keep rolling.

That's probably right. If that damn Vette hadn't hit the wall I'd have tested letting it shift to see the difference in times.