PDA

View Full Version : Some dude just backed into my baby!

draven
08-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Dude I work with just completely lunched and didn't realize there was a car behind his big 'ol Jeep Commander. Seems to have backed straight into it. I definitely need a new bumper and trunk, though I foresee the insurance company fighting me over just repairing the trunk.

I asked him if I could turn the car around and have him show me what he did so I can get the HSV front end I want ;)

Pics to follow.

draven
08-19-2010, 07:04 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/edraven/2-1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/edraven/1-1.jpg

confused2much
08-19-2010, 07:15 AM
^^Shitty!^^

Eidolon
08-19-2010, 07:25 AM
You'll definitely need a new bumper, but a paintless dent repair shop could probably handle the trunk (any many body shops will call in a paintless dent repair shop for minor repairs in the middle of the job). It doesn't look like the metal there is seriously creased or folded. Then again, I can't see the detail of the black spot on the bottom half of the hit. If it's nearly punctured then yeah, new trunk.

Sorry, dude! My sympathies!

draven
08-19-2010, 07:30 AM
@Eidolon

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. My concern is that it's too close to the fold at the top of the trunk for paintless, and I REALLY don't want it to be bondo'd/sprayed......

draven
08-19-2010, 07:56 AM
I wonder if there's an HSV bumper I can get if they just give me the cash......

Eidolon
08-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. My concern is that it's too close to the fold at the top of the trunk for paintless, and I REALLY don't want it to be bondo'd/sprayed......
Yeeeeah. I would think that hit overall is too deep to bondo and spray. They might could pull it out; dentless repair guys can work some real magic, even on folds. Any actual dings/dents in the metal that couldn't be massaged out probably would be bondo'd, though. So ya might get a mix.

Coulda been worse, though. Coulda been a lot worse.

Best of luck to ya!

draven
08-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks, man!

Punisher
08-19-2010, 11:47 AM
sorry to see that....I know how you feel...except yours is way worse.

draven
08-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Something similar happen to you, Punisher?

--update--

I have a 10am appointment with the adjuster to see what parts would need to be ordered. No idea if the trunk and bumper are stocked here in the states.

Punisher
08-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Something similar happen to you, Punisher?

--update--

I have a 10am appointment with the adjuster to see what parts would need to be ordered. No idea if the trunk and bumper are stocked here in the states.

Yea but luckily I only got a couple scratches from the other car's license plate screws...I just had the bumper completely resurfaced and repainted...I have no clue if the parts are kept here in the states...hope everything comes out good for you

chuckie669
08-19-2010, 02:42 PM
ouch... Next time back into your parking space. then you can get your bumper.

jaxredg8
08-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Sorry to hear this man. Good luck with the repairs. I dont know about the body panels and stuff but I do know the alternators come from Oz. And as long as it took to get mine here from there, I think they send them by kangaroo and a lifevest!!

Good luck!

MyGrayG8
08-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Damn, I'm always worried about this type of collision when I park at the shopping center. Good luck with the repairs. You may get lucky with the parts availability. Hopefully.

draven
08-20-2010, 06:38 AM
--update--

Adjuster said no go on replacing the trunk unless the body shop says to, and then it will still have to be approved by upper management. Now I' pissed. I don't want Bondo and paint on this car except for the removal of the front badge....

Bah.

r33pwrd
08-20-2010, 06:57 AM
--update--

Adjuster said no go on replacing the trunk unless the body shop says to, and then it will still have to be approved by upper management. Now I' pissed. I don't want Bondo and paint on this car except for the removal of the front badge....

Bah.

just make sure you go to a good bodyshop! I have found that a good bodyshop wont do stuff half ass so if they feel a new trunk is needed they will fight with the insurance company on it. IMO I dont think ou need a trunk... I think it can be pulled out and they will only have to skim coat it with bondo (No biggie in my eyes)

mooredata
08-20-2010, 09:27 AM
check this site out. AUCTIONS@nordstromsauto.com ask for Mike. I just got a desk lid for mine I'm adding a spoiler, didn't want to drill on stock lid. Mike as a white G8GT TRUNK LID, and bumper. 8654

wyldman
08-21-2010, 08:38 PM
just make sure you go to a good bodyshop! I have found that a good bodyshop wont do stuff half ass so if they feel a new trunk is needed they will fight with the insurance company on it. IMO I dont think ou need a trunk... I think it can be pulled out and they will only have to skim coat it with bondo (No biggie in my eyes)

+1 It's all in how it's fixed.If they hack it out then you have a problem. If they pop it out and just need a skim coat, no worries. Hard to tell from a picture tho.

draven
09-10-2010, 10:15 AM
They did a fantastic job. Even put the Holden badge back on straight.