PDA

View Full Version : Back-up camera

G8V8
08-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm working on a back-up camera that will disply in our radio screen. I should have something to report next week. Wish me luck.

wreckwriter
08-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Best luck. interested in your results for sure.

GRRRR8
08-11-2008, 03:55 PM
After seeing the cable today Ed, I have no doubt on the outcome. That was factory quality or better.

G8V8
08-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks Charlie. The cable i sent you is rear aux audio. It works well with my XM receiver and leaves the front aux open for temporary connections.

The video also uses the rear aux channel but a different connector. I got the mating connectors, one for you and one for me, from Germany and am waiting for the CCD rear view tag mount camera I bought to arive, probably this week. I'll have to solder a jack to my German connector but it should be a big deal. For power I'm thinking about tapping into the back-up light wire so the camera will only be active when I'm in revearse. It has IR LEDs that turn on in low light situations and I'm excited to see how they work.

The camera was $100 but it is a CCD camera and they are better than the cheaper CMOS cameras.

I'm als looking to see if I can find a locally available connector that will fit the radio in place of the very hard to find German connectors. If i find some and this all works, we can let the Grrrr8 forum members know how to do it and what they need to buy.

I work for a $50M a year electronics contract manufacturer so I pulled some strings to get the German connectors as samples then soldered the jacks to them.
I'll keep you posted.

GRRRR8
08-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Thats why we have an Electronics section. It should say Ed's house!

hotshot2003
08-15-2008, 06:02 AM
Keep me updated on this. Adrian in Oz supposedly has the VIM ready for the G8's just wants to verify a couple things first so I need to send him pictures this weekend of a few things. Have you tried to work on a VIM yet? If you have the harnesses made up for A/V input here in the states let me know, I'm sure it would save me some money lol.

-Ray-
08-15-2008, 07:26 AM
Thats why we have an Electronics section. It should say Ed's house!

I believe there is an area for a description. Maybe Steve could give it a custom description.

G8V8
08-15-2008, 09:06 AM
The camera came today. Busy weekend. Camera and Charlie mods.

EC-Ryder
08-15-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm one project away from the bkup camera, since i bkup to parking whenever i can for a faster getaways, LOL!

Cheers!

GRRRR8
08-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Same here. You never know...........

Steve
08-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Turn wheel fully, Put in reverse, Floor it for 0.783 second, straighten wheel, floor it again - plenty fast :P hahahah (yeah people in the office building where I park LOVE me... hahaha)

But yea i've been dying for a backup cam.. it's just a COOL feature..

G8V8
08-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Had a problem with a cig lighter power adapter I used to try to test the system before actually cutting and splicing, etc. Camera didn't work. Just now i found that the connector was bad on my POS cig lighter adapter so the camera was not getting power. no wonder it didn't work. It is Sunday's task. I'll report more then.

GRRRR8
08-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Nothing is ever easy or goes as planned no matter how much thought goes into it. :repair: