PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Window Tinting

DetroitSpeedJunkie
08-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Does anyone on here have there driver/passenger side windows tinted and or their windshield. i am looking to get tinted tomorrow and know that it is illegal for tint on front windows in Michigan? What percent tint do those who are in MI have and have you had problems with it?

MANOFSTEEL69
08-07-2010, 04:00 AM
Dan Millen at Livernois always gets his cars done like that. Maybe Rick @ Livernois can give you the pros and cons of it.

DaNgErOuSgt
08-07-2010, 05:28 AM
35% is legal in the drivers and passengers window. Windshield is illegal. I have 35% up front and never get bothered.

mi04se1
08-07-2010, 06:39 AM
So if I get 35 on my front windows and get pulled over, can I come after you? J/k

DaNgErOuSgt
08-07-2010, 07:02 AM
haha, of course some cops don't care and will give you a ticket regardless.

G8GT594
08-07-2010, 07:09 AM
35% is legal in the drivers and passengers window. Windshield is illegal. I have 35% up front and never get bothered.

35 is NOT legal in MI. Any tint on the front windows is not legal.

DaNgErOuSgt
08-07-2010, 11:01 AM
I just checked on MSP website and I was wrong. It can't be more than 35% reflective. I just seen the 35%. Anyway it is legal to tint the top 4" to any darkness, but who would do that. I am happy with mine and its light enough that nobody bothers me.

G8GT594
08-07-2010, 11:12 AM
I just checked on MSP website and I was wrong. It can't be more than 35% reflective. I just seen the 35%. Anyway it is legal to tint the top 4" to any darkness, but who would do that. I am happy with mine and its light enough that nobody bothers me.

That is the exception to the law. If there is film over the front windows its not legal, unless like you stated top 4 inches. The 35% reflectiveness is for any windows that are allowed to have tint. That is why you see people with mirror tint getting popped so fast even when its on there rear windows.

DetroitSpeedJunkie
08-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Getting tinted as i type this. Limo on the rear, 20 everywhere else except the windshield. Wish me luck on Woodward lol.

G8GT594
08-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Getting tinted as i type this. Limo on the rear, 20 everywhere else except the windshield. Wish me luck on Woodward lol.

You'll most likely be fine. I haven't had any issue yet... <Runs to knock on wood>

gr8lover
08-07-2010, 07:16 PM
20% will get you busted!!! No doubt about it... almost a waste to do it. Now with your exhaust and tint, I would give you 2 months before you get a ticket. I know many guys that got tickets and/or had to remove their tint... ... 35% you may be ok, but 20% they will bust you!! I think I am going to go 50% on front... have 35% on back rear and 20% on rear...

gr8lover
08-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Dan Millen at Livernois always gets his cars done like that. Maybe Rick @ Livernois can give you the pros and cons of it.

Dan has a prescription from the eye doctor and has it all approved. It took him awhile to get it and he has gotten stopped a bunch of times!

GTPprix
08-07-2010, 07:25 PM
20% will get you busted!!! No doubt about it... almost a waste to do it. Now with your exhaust and tint, I would give you 2 months before you get a ticket. I know many guys that got tickets and/or had to remove their tint... ... 35% you may be ok, but 20% they will bust you!! I think I am going to go 50% on front... have 35% on back rear and 20% on rear...

I have 20% all around on EVERY car I own and have had it that way for about 10 years now, NEVER an issue.

MIEngineer
08-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Rarely see it happen solely for tint...usually it is another offense they pull you over for and the tint is the bonus if an officer notices it. Fair game.

Livernois Motorsports
08-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Dan does have it on his license that he can have tint. Although I drive the cars all the time and have never been stopped.

The G8 is double 5% on the sides and reads and 35% on the windshield.

Here is a shot of our last Mustang....

5% limo sides and rears, 35% on windshield

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/prod_imgs/gal-312-p-3386-large.jpg

-Rick

DetroitSpeedJunkie
08-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Maaaannnnnnnnnn

I need to find someway to beat the system lol. Can you tell me here or in a PM what you/dan had to do to get the the tint accepted on your license?

Livernois Motorsports
08-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Maaaannnnnnnnnn

I need to find someway to beat the system lol. Can you tell me here or in a PM what you/dan had to do to get the the tint accepted on your license?

It's not an easy process.... I know it took him quite a while and had to do a ton of paperwork and have several different things from the doctor.

-Rick

gr8lover
08-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Although I drive the cars all the time and have never been stopped.

-Rick

Maybe YOU havent been stopped, but heck your one lucky guy!!!! Your lucky to have a job like you have and be able to drive alot and do the fun stuff you do....... your just plain Lucky!!!! now for the rest of us.... I dont think we would be so lucky!!!! Heck, from what I hear, you could have even gotten lucky with the "Purple Barney" a couple months back...... :)

MIEngineer
04-21-2011, 05:21 AM
I have tint listed on my license as well. I plan to go 20% all around and 35% on the back.

I also got a fix it ticket a few years ago on my other car.

fastg8mi
04-21-2011, 07:20 AM
ive gotten pulled over twice for tint only, both by state cops... but i got there attention because my car is so loud. so i ended up taking off the front windows, plan on doing it once summer gets here again :)

if anyone needs tint, im friends with one of the best in michigan. he tints all gm cars for commercials and shows

DetroitSpeedJunkie
04-21-2011, 08:10 AM
ive gotten pulled over twice for tint only, both by state cops... but i got there attention because my car is so loud. so i ended up taking off the front windows, plan on doing it once summer gets here again :)

if anyone needs tint, im friends with one of the best in michigan. he tints all gm cars for commercials and shows

I have had my tint on since last summer and have only got pulled over once for it. It was also for "drag racing" lol but I beat that ticket. Other than that, to this day I have not had any officer pull me over for tint and have never got a speeding ticket in the G8(yea, i'm knocking on my desk now lol)

You should have heard MIEngineer's story about window tint this past weekend on woodward. A little twist on "taking off the front windows" haha

fastg8mi
04-21-2011, 11:19 AM
i wanted to come but had some stuff come up last minute :(

johnh
04-25-2011, 06:34 AM
So just to be clear:
Any tint on the Windshield, any tint on the front windows below 4" is illegal regardless of reflectiveness. Rear sides and back window can be as dark as you want.
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-73839--,00.html#tinted

I had tint on a previous car, slightly lighter on the front windows, than the rears and not a problem. And its usually the state boys who like to make an issue of it.

MIEngineer
04-26-2011, 08:45 AM
You should have heard MIEngineer's story about window tint this past weekend on woodward. A little twist on "taking off the front windows" haha

A little effort goes a long way. :D

20% all around looks good. Wish I did 35% up front but the 20% is fine.

DetroitSpeedJunkie
04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
A little effort goes a long way. :D

20% all around looks good. Wish I did 35% up front but the 20% is fine.

I just saw that you got your tint by the same guy as me, small word lol. Looks good.

MIEngineer
04-28-2011, 12:31 PM
How do you know that? I didn't post anything regarding place that I recall....

DetroitSpeedJunkie
04-28-2011, 12:47 PM
How do you know that? I didn't post anything regarding place that I recall....

I'm facebook friends with the guy and he posted 2 pics.

MIEngineer
04-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Link?

DetroitSpeedJunkie
04-28-2011, 01:03 PM
I can try and post it but I don't know if their profile is public or private. I can post the pics if you want. Car looks good. Can i buy those wheels tomorrow btw?