PDA

View Full Version : Catback,cai,sc cortex....... Question??????

jeff
08-05-2010, 10:14 PM
In you fellows opinion do you see any harm in running catback,cai (vararam or roto-fab) and cortex tune for say a month a two without the HSRK and Catch can.Basically wanting to go ahead and put these on now and do the others when I get some more money to purchase.But do not want to run a chance of it being unhealthy onthe motor.Looking at what the catch can and hsrk does seems to be important so I am not to sure.

travis gore
08-06-2010, 01:43 AM
no harm in runing with out. The HSRK would really come in handy in the summer heat though.

-Ray-
08-06-2010, 02:04 AM
You can run without the HSRK and the catch can.

jeff
08-06-2010, 04:50 AM
Thanks Travis and Ray.....

terryscott621
08-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Like stated above there's no problem in running either without the catchcan or HSRK. In my opinion I would install the catchcan first though. The catchcan just gives me peace of mind knowing all that oil isn't gunking up my engine.

jeff
08-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Thats what I was thinking too.I wouldn't go to long without the others you know.Now I can not make up my mind on cortex for 265.00 used or get CAM(carolina auto masters) to do a dyno tune for 350.00.He said its not a locked tune but I would have to return to them to get back to stock,but he did say the dealer could do it but I wouldn't want them to even know.I like sc cortex benefits but I know CAM dyno tune is better than the cortex canned tune.I have heard there update for cortex is much better.so now I am not sure what to do........Whatcha think fellows?

terryscott621
08-06-2010, 08:34 AM
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm debating whether to get a cortex or just wait and get a custom tune. I know I want to get headers in the future so a custom tune will be a must for that, just can't decide if I can live without the extra power from the cortex for the time being. You can always recoup your money by selling the cortex though.

jeff
08-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Agree man.Thats the way I look at it.Plus When I do headers I plan on during valvetrain work.For sure want to go with decent cam and etc. My thing is I do not want to get into all that for a good while because I do like to maintain my warranty.I got 5 more years of paying for this car and its only got 11,500 miles on it you know.Plus I can see now I will be looking for warranty on the lower control arms and/or sway bar bushings.I also have a flare in 2-3 shift after a long cold sit. IT does not do it anymore till the next cold sit.Only once or twice when you first pull off then it goes away with tranny getting warm

terryscott621
08-06-2010, 08:52 AM
It sounds like you and me are in pretty much the same situation. I want to keep my warranty as well for the time being. Sounds like the cortex may be the answer for both of us...for the time being that is. :devil:

jeff
08-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Yeah I think maybe so man.I am gonna order roto-fab today.whats up with the diff. on the oiled versus dry filter?whatcha using?

terryscott621
08-06-2010, 09:01 AM
I went with the dry filter on mine. I believe the only difference between the oiled and the dry is that with the dry you just shake it out to clean it instead of having to spray cleaner on the oiled one and then oil it again. I'm pretty sure that the filtration and airflow are the same betweene the two (might want to check me on that). I've cleaned my filter a few times already and it's alot easier to clean than the oiled type.